Missing 8 mo Pregnant Marine Maria Frances Lauterbach- NC #12

Maybe Maria's mom thought it was more important to put that money into the foundation for other female victims than as a reward. It could also be that she truly believes that the law will aprehend cl and take care of that part. I would really be torn over which I thought it could do more good with.

The truth is...LE has no way of knowing if Maria was forced to make that withdrawl, but they know she had the money and it was not recovered after he killed her. They can find no transactions where she spent it...other than the bus ticket.

Maria withdrew $700.00 and then supposedly purchased a bus ticket to Texas. How much was that ticket for?

Let's just say it was for $150 to $200............that leaves between $500 to $550 for Maria to go to a state that from what we know, she has never been to before, find a place to live at, buy food, buy a crib, etc. (if she is keeping the baby), and I haven't even gotten to the costs of having the baby.........(would her medical be paid for from being a Marine that is stationed out of state???)

I am having a really hard time in believing this. Even if CL said he would meet her there, Maria would know that CL didn't make much more than she did.........unless he gave her some song and dance on how he had another account that his wife didn't know about and that there was more than enough money in it for them to live off until after the baby was born.

Sorry........antlers rambling. Frustrated that nothing is happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did Maria leave her SGLI to her mom?

Maria's mother would have gotten, immediately, a death gratuity benefit from the government. $100,000 right up front, before she gets the $400,000 SGLI military insurance.
If it were my daughter's killer on the loose, I'd put a big hunk of that money up as a reward, if not all.

Maria's mother would have gotten, immediately, a death gratuity benefit from the government. $100,000 right up front, before she gets the $400,000 SGLI military insurance.
If it were my daughter's killer on the loose, I'd put a big hunk of that money up as a reward, if not all.

A $100,000 death gratuity benefit is only for next of kin of service members killed in combat. If a service member dies not in combat, the next of kin receives a $12,420 death gratuity.

The $400,000 SGLI insurance payment would usually, absent spouse and/or children, be divided equally between surviving parents. I can't remember what the marital situation is with Maria's parents. Does anyone?

A $100,000 death gratuity benefit is only for next of kin of service members killed in combat. If a service member dies not in combat, the next of kin receives a $12,420 death gratuity.

The $400,000 SGLI insurance payment would usually, absent spouse and/or children, be divided equally between surviving parents. I can't remember what the marital situation is with Maria's parents. Does anyone?
Kind of confused on what you meant about the marital situation of Maria's parents. I'm dense tonight :)

Maria's father is active military. I haven't seen anything else about him. Has anybody read any comments he has made? Maria's mother and Maria's uncle have been the only family I have seen speaking about Maria.

The 'death gratuity' is one of the three conditions where the Feres doctrine applies prohibiting any effort by Maria's family to seek legal action against her murderer. The second is 'the distinctly federal relationship between the government and members of the U.S. armed forces' (any claim would not be against her murderer, it would necessarily be against The United States of America), and thirdly, the Feres doctrine prohibits suits which would 'involve the judiciary in sensitive military affairs at the expense of military dicipline and effectiveness.'

$12,420? :furious:

Maria's father is active military. I haven't seen anything else about him. Has anybody read any comments he has made? Maria's mother and Maria's uncle have been the only family I have seen speaking about Maria.

The 'death gratuity' is one of the three conditions where the Feres doctrine applies prohibiting any effort by Maria's family to seek legal action against her murderer. The second is 'the distinctly federal relationship between the government and members of the U.S. armed forces' (any claim would not be against her murderer, it would necessarily be against The United States of America), and thirdly, the Feres doctrine prohibits suits which would 'involve the judiciary in sensitive military affairs at the expense of military dicipline and effectiveness.'

$12,420? :furious:

Well, I'm not sure what the burning-face smiley is all about, but the immmediate payment of $12,420 is to offset burial expenses. Very shortly, there is a payout of $400,000.

I don't see that the death gratuity has anything to do with the Feres doctrine.
I also don't understand where you get the idea that a service member can't be sued or how you think that suing Laurean for wrongful death or whatever would have to do with involving "the judiciary in sensitive military affairs." He didn't kill her as part of his military duties.

I haven't seen Maria's father, either. That's why I was asking about the marital status.

The Feres doctrine has three rationales which have been invoked to prohibit lawsuits in civilian courts for injury or death of an active-duty servicemember. One of the rationals is that 'active-duty servicemembers recieve free medical treatment while the member remained alive, a generous death gratuity, and payment of his funeral expenses.' The burning-face smiley was a reaction to the statement that her death gratuity was only $12,420. Sorry if I misunderstood. If that is actually the funeral expenses, what then is the 'death gratuity'?

Well, I'm not sure what the burning-face smiley is all about, but the immmediate payment of $12,420 is to offset burial expenses. Very shortly, there is a payout of $400,000.

I don't see that the death gratuity has anything to do with the Feres doctrine.
I also don't understand where you get the idea that a service member can't be sued or how you think that suing Laurean for wrongful death or whatever would have to do with involving "the judiciary in sensitive military affairs." He didn't kill her as part of his military duties.

I haven't seen Maria's father, either. That's why I was asking about the marital status.

The Feres doctrine has applied if the rape, injury, death, etc. was 'incidental to military service'. They were both active-duty Marines, and that might be enough to prevent Maria's family from getting a judge to do anything except dismiss the case. Hopefully, justice will be served.:)

If I remember correctly Maria's father was reserves not active. I can't remember for what branch though. I will dig that up later.. As for Military receiving free health benefits I strongly disagree with that! Our husbands are willing to DIE for that health insurance.. hardly free. (plus we do pay a small monthly fee) Not being snarky, just adding my two cents. :crazy:

The Feres doctrine has applied if the rape, injury, death, etc. was 'incidental to military service'. They were both active-duty Marines, and that might be enough to prevent Maria's family from getting a judge to do anything except dismiss the case. Hopefully, justice will be served.:)

Truly, I wonder if you can cite one example of the Feres doctrine applying to a rape or murder.

If I remember correctly Maria's father was reserves not active. I can't remember for what branch though. I will dig that up later.. As for Military receiving free health benefits I strongly disagree with that! Our husbands are willing to DIE for that health insurance.. hardly free. (plus we do pay a small monthly fee) Not being snarky, just adding my two cents. :crazy:

You must not be on Tricare Prime, if you have to pay a fee. :) There is a smallish fee for family dental, but the service member gets dental free. Military dentists :eek:! (Actually, for all I know, military dentists are the finest in the world, but the words sound painful anyway.)

If you're talking about the family suing the Marines for negligence in the way they handled Maria and Laurean, you are probably right that the Feres doctrine would apply. But not because the rape or the murder was incidental to military service. It would be because the command decisions regarding separating the two, not locking up Laurean in pretrial detention, misjudging Laurean's character, etc. would be incidental to military service (of the commanders) -- and those decisions would be the "negligence" in the case.

I don't know whether her parents are divorced or not, TG.:blowkiss:

Her father, Victor Lauterbach, is an Air Force Reserve master sergeant in the 87th Aerial Port Squadron, which is part of the 445th Airlift Wing at Wright-Patterson.

As far as their martial status, I have never read mention of them being divorced. He was mentioned consoling a younger sibling at Maria's funeral.

I just read on CNN that the incision across her neck was made AFTER she died. So it's not too shocking because obviously we know Maria did not kill herself but to think he could slit her throat after she was dead and think he could get away with it..:furious:

My goodness! God bless them both. I don't know why, but I was surprised that there was that much charring to the fetus. how horrible!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back