Brandon Scott Lavergne -- Post Conviction

Is it my imagination or did Lavergne's confession and the recent audio change a little when he described the events of how he hit Mickey's bike and got her into his vehicle? And, no, I can't give specifics b/c to do so I'd have to listen all over again, and that's plain disgusting. Just making an observation, but if I had struck someone on a bike and eventually murdered him, the sequence of events would forever be imprinted on my brain.
And every time I would recount that night, my story would pretty much be word for word. Am I just weird or does that happen to anyone else when they've suffered a traumatic event?

The video was edited by KATC (verified by lead anchor via email) and possibly those who released it. I' m not sure I want to go to the courthouse to request the orriginal. Still thinking about it.

The Shunick family is the biggest reason why I'm not tempted to give BSL exactly what he wants. He so lives in the minute that he doesn't see the bigger picture that if his plea agreements are set aside, he's facing the death penalty. Regardless, I have to say that, IMO, the prosecuting attorneys did a good job of covering all angles when entering the plea. Unfortunately, we will just have to deal with a lifetime of BSL filing such motions.

So he hates solitary confinement. Oh how sad - NOT. Glad to hear he is hating every minute of his life and knows there is nothing but many more years of solitary misery to come. Warms my heart. I hope he can hear Mickey laughing at him.

Tomorrow, UL-Lafayette's spring semester starts. It will be the first day of classes since UL's football team - with the outline of Mickey on her bike on their helmets - won their 2nd consecutive New Orleans Bowl title. The community that loved Mickey continues to move forward but remember her in their hearts.

And BSL continues to rot away in jail all alone, stuck in one place (physically & mentally), composing handwritten letters to the judge about how miserable he is.

Hopefully, the current predicament in which the DA's office finds itself won't come into play in any appeal. Within the last year, one ADA has been convicted of tax evasion, one ADA, one administrator and one secretary has admitted guilt in an illegal DWI suspension payoff operation and are awaiting sentencing. It has been inferred that retired ADA Stutes, lead prosecutor, who was charged with investigating this DWI malfeasance was aware of the goings on , as was DA Harson and a district judge who handled all these cases before the BSL plea. If I was BSL's attorney, I would appeal based on a history of repeated malfeasance in the DA office. Of course, I'm not sure BSL is aware of this and since he's handling his own appeals, not sure if he would think about that. After reading his appeal, it appears to me that he received some aid in drafting his motion, maybe prisoner wantabe attorney like Rideau.

Hopefully, the current predicament in which the DA's office finds itself won't come into play in any appeal. Within the last year, one ADA has been convicted of tax evasion, one ADA, one administrator and one secretary has admitted guilt in an illegal DWI suspension payoff operation and are awaiting sentencing. It has been inferred that retired ADA Stutes, lead prosecutor, who was charged with investigating this DWI malfeasance was aware of the goings on , as was DA Harson and a district judge who handled all these cases before the BSL plea. If I was BSL's attorney, I would appeal based on a history of repeated malfeasance in the DA office. Of course, I'm not sure BSL is aware of this and since he's handling his own appeals, not sure if he would think about that. After reading his appeal, it appears to me that he received some aid in drafting his motion, maybe prisoner wantabe attorney like Rideau.

I could provide links to the smuck and poot... of 'immediate 894's', corruption, selling souls for $$$ and autographed N.O. caps...but it prob doesn't suit this thread.

I'll just simply state...that I for one, am glad you are not BSL's attorney today, justwundering. :winkaway:

BBM...oh, and 'inferred' is a big word. The truth always surfaces. Sooner or later.

I could provide links to the smuck and poot... of 'immediate 894's', corruption, selling souls for $$$ and autographed N.O. caps...but it prob doesn't suit this thread.

I'll just simply state...that I for one, am glad you are not BSL's attorney today, justwundering. :winkaway:

BBM...oh, and 'inferred' is a big word. The truth always surfaces. Sooner or later.

This stuff goes on everywhere and is a concern everywhere, but in the end, guilty pleas are still accepted and upheld everywhere. While it can't simply be cast aside and needs to be taken into the equation, it still doesn't change the fact that BSL's plea was entered into freely and knowingly. Ultimately, that is the important thing. I think it was all pretty well documented, even publicly, by the prosecution team. I still give BSL less than a 1% chance of prevailing on these motions.

So am I. I would hate to think of going through that again. But, strange things happen. Irregardless of BSL's voluntary confession, who knows how the 'right' judge might rule on his claim of ineffective and deficient counsel representation? He claims his attorneys abandoned him and allowed him to be transported all over Acadiana while being questioned in search of the body. I think there's a greater than 1% probability, Reedus. And the fact that '894s occur every' might mean very little to a jury. Malfeasance by at least 3 of DA's staff, questions about the DA, lead prosecutor and a district judge might raise questions by a few in a jury pool. Hopefully not, but I don't feel as confidant as some that this animal might not get off some kind of way. Look at his history.

So am I. I would hate to think of going through that again. But, strange things happen. Irregardless of BSL's voluntary confession, who knows how the 'right' judge might rule on his claim of ineffective and deficient counsel representation? He claims his attorneys abandoned him and allowed him to be transported all over Acadiana while being questioned in search of the body. I think there's a greater than 1% probability, Reedus. And the fact that '894s occur every' might mean very little to a jury. Malfeasance by at least 3 of DA's staff, questions about the DA, lead prosecutor and a district judge might raise questions by a few in a jury pool. Hopefully not, but I don't feel as confidant as some that this animal might not get off some kind of way. Look at his history.

Ineffective assistance of counsel is probably raised by literally every single person who has stayed in prison. I don't know the numbers, but I imagine a very small number of those are successful as is evidenced by the overcrowding in our prisons. Also, don't forget, you are only reading his handwritten flow of thoughts, not the whole story. Also, a jury is not deciding these issues, unless Louisiana is unique in that regard. Again, there are no guarantees in life, but BSL losing on these issues is probably as close as it comes.

One of the things I do find ironic, however, is the argument concerning a tainted jury pool. I understand your concerns that corruption/ethical concerns involving the prosecution team could taint a jury in BSL's favor. The ironic part comes in that BSL, as part of his motion, argues just the opposite, that that same jury pool is tainted against him. The bottom line is those arguments can be spun any which way and is one reason they are rarely successful except in extreme cases.

Whether it's a 1% chance or slightly more, I do believe you and locals can feel confident BSL will remain behind bars. Don't forget, even if he won his motion, he would be sitting in jail, presumably with no bail or bail he can't afford, until his case goes to trial, in which case, all those damning statements and evidence will be used to put him to death.

It would be interesting to hear what his attorney's have to say. I tend to agree with you and I wouldn't be surprised if he just happened to get "the right judge". It seems like it would be hard for BSL to prove that his attorneys abandoned him. He could just have easily told them he didn't need them to go with him. We know he can tell some tall tales as well as right out lies.

Has anyone heard if he refiled his request?

'Awareness is the Key, folks" Hope everyone is doing well... CUE is having their national conference on missing/murdered persons in March. Hope to see some of 'The Mighty Mick' Team there. "You would all be an asset to the Silent Epidemic Victims & their Families"! imo, of course...
http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/national-conference-2/
The 9th Annual National Missing Persons Conference 2013
2013 CUE National Missing Persons Conference, CUE Center National Conference, National Conference for Missing Persons, THEME 2013 " A Pathway to Resolution "

http://www.policevolunteers.org/pdf/...gFINAL_web.pdf "MISSING PERSONS INVESTIGATIONS" section ii – Maximizing resources by utilizing
volunteers in Missing Persons cases
Types of Missing Person Investigations.................................... .................................................. .................................7
Activities for Volunteers to Aid Missing Person Investigations.................................... ...................................8
Missing Persons Legislation and Policy............................................ .................................................. ..........................10
Utilizing Volunteers........................................ .................................................. .................................................. ...................15 'Volunteers can assist no matter the circumstances surrounding the disappearance'.
Every missing person report a law enforcement agency receives is
different. But, whether it’s a child, a teenager, an adult, or a senior citizen
who ran away, forgot to call home, wandered away, was abducted, or
disappeared, all missing person investigations share a common element—
the need for manpower to find the missing as quickly as possible. The more
people looking for a missing person, the faster the person may be found. (Read More)

Lavergne also argued that his court-appointed attorneys were ineffective, provided no defense and erred in encouraging him to plead guilty when he adamantly denied having murdered either woman and was suffering what he called "a mental break."

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20130208/NEWS01/302080313/Lavergne-wants-guilty-plea-tossed

" She reached down to grab her phone, and I just panicked and that's when I grabbed the knife. I said don't call the cops I'm not ********* playing with you, I said put down the phone. And she was just started kinda' like staring at me, she made eye contact, and she was just staring at me," said Lavergne.

It was at that point Mickey maced Lavergne, so he began stabbing her. She slumped over, and that's when he starting driving to a rural area to dispose of her body. The whole time, he was thinking she was dead.

"She popped up and stabbed me dead in the chest.

I don't know if I was more freaked out that she stabbed me, or the fact that she was still alive. I hollered, and I shot, I shot one time, you know one time with the gun. I jumped out of the truck and I was hollering, and I just stood out there and stuff, and I was shaking and stuff, and I started throwing up," said Lavergne.

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

Sounds like a confession to me.

I drove by Mickey's ghost bike today. It's right off of the Lafayette Mardi Gras the parade route. People had hung Mardi Gras beads all over Mickey's bike, celebrating Mardi Gras & her memory. It was beautiful- white bike covered in pearly beads of all different colors. Made me feel like Mickey's spirit is around celebrating with the community during Mardi Gras season.

And BSL sits in jail writing these ridiculous motions. I'm glad he's miserable.

He may have killed Mickey but he didn't win the battle in his truck that night. Mickey did. Happy Mardi Gras, Mickey.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back