Pre-Trial Hearings & Discussion

dang her...i was really hoping she would plead guilty and just go the hell to jail where she belongs. yeah, yeah...i know, she has this right and i understand that. still makes me mad!

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4041213&postcount=338"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Media Links Only - NO DISCUSSIONS[/ame]

...Melissa Huckaby, 28, was supposed to return to court in September, but the San Joaquin County Superior Court announced she will be in court 1 p.m. Aug. 17 for further proceedings.

A court spokeswoman said she was not at liberty to discuss the nature of those proceedings. A representative from the District Attorney's Office said they cannot comment on Monday's hearing. A gag order is in place in the case, preventing involved parties from discussing the case with the media.

A criminal grand jury was believed to have convened last month to hear evidence in the case. The proceedings are kept secret unless an indictment is made. If the grand jury met and they did issue an indictment, it would replace Huckaby's public preliminary hearing, in which a judge determines if there is enough evidence to try her on the charges. That hearing was scheduled to begin Sept. 24...

There is speculation as to if this hearing will be the one where she is indicted by Grand Jury for the murder of Sandra.

Thank you Kat. Do we know if anyone will be streaming this live? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is about the charges.

Judge moves up Huckaby hearing to Monday
http://www.tracypress.com/pages/ful...+hearing+to+Monday&instance=home_news_bullets

...A drawing will take place at 12:15 p.m. in the same room. The public can enter the courtroom after journalists have been seated.

Seats have been reserved for five television stations, six local newspapers, a radio station and a sketch artist. Thirteen more seats are reserved for media, and available by lottery...

I don't know if anyone will stream live outside the courthouse but I sure hope they do!

so if she is indicted today, she should receive her trial date, correct?

thanks for posting this!

so if she is indicted today, she should receive her trial date, correct?

thanks for posting this!

I hope that she is indicted today!

Here is what one article had to say:

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=64990&catid=2

... legal expert following the Huckaby case told News10 it would appear Huckaby is going to be arraigned on the murder charge and given a trial date.

It's been widely reported that Huckaby's case was being reviewed by a criminal grand jury. The legal expert said it appeared the grand jury has indicted Huckaby. The grand jury process is sometimes used in criminal cases rather than having evidence heard publicly in preliminary hearings...

...News of the hearing in Stockton comes after a secret grand jury finished up a review of evidence in the startling slaying. If Huckaby was indicted, she would have to be arraigned in court -- the beginning of the road toward trial.

Generally, prosecutors take cases to grand juries when they don't want to air evidence -- or identify witnesses -- in an open preliminary hearing. Defense attorneys aren't as fond of them; they aren't allowed in the room to call their own witnesses and rebut the charges.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/crime/detail?&entry_id=45357#ixzz0OSrw6PQy

This doesn't look good:

...Former Sunday school teacher Melissa Huckaby is set to appear in court at 1 p.m. What happens in court is considered a minor legal move according to legal experts, but it was enough to get the Today Show on NBC to send a live satelite truck for some pre-hearing coverage on national television...

...Monday's hearing is not expected to make any changes in the case. The judge has already scheduled a preliminary hearing for Huckaby to start the last week in September...

It's okay, I'll patiently wait and watch for justice for Sandra.

Thank you for posting Kat.

It seems the majority of the media thinks it's connected to an indictment, which is contrary to that article. Let's hope for the best. RIP Sandra.

anything yet? sadly I can't find any live coverage on the matter. :(

By Sophia Kazmi
Contra Costa Times

Posted: 08/17/2009 01:48:17 PM PDT
STOCKTON — A San Joaquin County grand jury has returned a five-count indictment against Melissa Huckaby, accused of kidnapping, raping and murdering 8-year-old Sandra Cantu of Tracy.
Huckaby just appeared in a Stockton courtroom to hear the indictment.
Check back later for further details.http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13145344

who thinks they are going to go for the death penalty?

i think they are going to lean that way.

Huckaby was also indicted on two counts of furnishing a harmful substance and one count of child endangerment. Those counts relate to the alleged drugging of a Hayward man and of another Tracy girl in the months before Sandra went missing. Those cases are unrelated to Sandra's death.
Deputy DA Thomas Testa said the cuts on Huckaby's forehead stemmed from an incident at San Joaquin County Jail this morning. He said he could not discuss it further. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13145344

who thinks they are going to go for the death penalty?

i think they are going to lean that way.
The case is under a judicial gag order, and the grand jury transcripts are temporarily sealed. Huckaby did not enter a plea. She returns to court Sept. 10.
Testa said the District Attorney's office is treating the case as if it will be a death penalty case, but no decision is expected on that for
one to two months.

So, I wonder what's up with the scratches on the forehead?

I soooo hope they go for the DP. This case is revolting.

This woman is just one of those people like the ones who kill pregnant women and steal the fetus', that all you can even think is just

"GET HER OUT OF HERE AND I DON'T CARE HOW!"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back