CT CT - Sydney Montanez, 20, New Britain, 1985

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
<modsnip: broken link/image>

Janice Batista is looking for the quiet place she can go to pay tribute to her mother, Sydney Montanez, who was reported missing in 1987 and still has not been found...

Batista, a 31-year-old North Carolina resident who never knew her mother, had little information to offer police other than secondhand tidbits from other family members with faltering memories...

Montanezs case is among a few long-term missing persons the department is continuing to investigate. She disappeared a few months after Batista was born in 1985. Batista was given to her godmother, who raised her in New York. Montanezs two other children were given to relatives or godparents. Batista has few details about her mothers disappearance other than the often-conflicting stories that family in New Britain have told her. She had black hair, she was tiny, she was beautiful, said Batista, a pastor who has children of her own and is attending nursing school. She just vanished off the face of the earth. She just disappeared from New Britain, Connecticut, never to be seen.

NamUs gives a missing date of July 19, 1991; not sure why there's such a big discrepancy.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of November 21, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: broken link/image>

NamUs gives a missing date of July 19, 1991; not sure why there's such a big discrepancy.

Strange discrepancy. I also noticed the story says she disappeared in 1985 (months after her daughter's birth) but she was not reported missing until 1987. Maybe there was a sighting of her in 1991? But if Namus has the date wrong, then she could be among the IUDs from 1985-1990.

I was thinking maybe Sydney was missing to her family in the '80s but there's some official record of her being alive in 1991? Like an arrest, a marriage license, something like that?

I was thinking maybe Sydney was missing to her family in the '80s but there's some official record of her being alive in 1991? Like an arrest, a marriage license, something like that?

That's possible. Wish we had more info.

She has a recorded address in Mar 2000 in New Britain, Ct: https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=+givenname:Sydney~ +surname:Montanez~

Normally I would say this could be a family address kept open in public records under her name for some reason but the article says her daughter was raised in NY and lives in NC now. I also looked up others listed at that address and did not find any other past residents with Sydney's last name-- and it seems to be a rental triplex property with many past residents. Is it possible Sydney is still alive and out there somewhere but not using her name/SS# anymore? Or at least that she was still in New Britain, CT in 2000 unknown to her daughter who was living elsewhere?

In 1999, someone with her name and her same age was arrested in New Britain, CT: <broken link>

That finding makes me wonder if police still have her mug shot from 1999. It would be interesting to compare the person in the mug shot to known pictures of Montanez before she went missing.

Sydney Montanez

Age last seen: 26
Age now: 52
Race: White female
Hair color: Brown

Eyes Color: Brown
Height: 62.0
Weight: 119.0
Scars and Marks: nothing

No photos disponible

Sydney was last seen
19 July 1991.

Bumping for Sydney, as this happened in my area but I can't say I ever heard of her...

If the three kids were all given to various relatives, I have to wonder about the dad(s). Was he just out of the picture, or an actual danger of some sort? If so, had he perhaps threatened Sydney? etc.

1985, 1987, 1991, 1999?! What is going on here? I’ve tried finding a photo of her with no luck.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back