LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This link first shows a car route. If you click on the bicycle icon, it will
give you the suggested bike route. I am not sure which one she might use.

http://g.co/maps/bgwge

Since her bike was not found, it makes me wonder about the story the friend gave. If a random stranger was going to grab her, why take the bike?
Here's one possibility, Katy. If a random stranger abducted Mickey near his own home, he wouldn't want the bike found in his neighborhood. That would raise alarms and put the area under scrutiny, possibly leading right to him.

Sending prayers for Mickey's safe return. :praying:

I was just on the FB page and apparently they can't get camera footage due to privacy laws. This is something I didn't know about. How frustrating! Can anyone so kindly explain to me how this works?

I was just on the FB page and apparently they can't get camera footage due to privacy laws. This is something I didn't know about. How frustrating! Can anyone so kindly explain to me how this works?
The home and business owners are not required by law to hand over surveillance video, but some will do so voluntarily. If not, LE can ask a judge to issue a search warrant to obtain the video.

Any person or business that doesn't turn over video surveillance footage to LE for a missing person is on my BIG TIME CARP LIST. That's momma talk for, "You're in trouble from here on out!"

When was Mickey noticed missing? For example did her mom wake up in the morning and find her gone or was there some one who was waiting up for her?

Apparently she was at a guy friend's house when she left to go home. They had been out at a bar/restaurant where there was a show (not sure if they went to see a band or what). Afterwards (around 1-ish), they went back to the guy friend's house where they ate a bite and she left around 2am. This guy friend is also a cyclist.

I'm gathering all this from the Missing FB page....

Hmm. Did anyone apart from this guy see her leave? If not then my hinky meter is twitching a little.

Well, one of the FB pages that friends have set up for Mickey had comments from the male friend who last saw her. Some of the comments there on FB mentioned that she and some friends (apparently including the male friend) had met up at a local bar/restaurant for "the show." After "the show," around "1-ish," Mickey left and went to the male friend's home where they had something to eat. I immediately thought that was odd. They were just at a restaurant, so why would they need something to eat? But...perhaps, if they were students, they didn't have lots of cash and wanted to save money by eating something they already had at the friend's home. I'm not sure about that...still feels weird to me. But after having a bite, Mickey left alone on her bike for about a 30-40 minute ride to her home. That's a long ride for 2am. At least it seems like it to me. But Mickey loved to cycle and was apparently part of the Lafayette Cycling Community. Unfortunately, she never made it. Not sure who reported her missing.

It doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't want to eat at the place where they went out at, it's definitely more of a bar than a restaurant, and being young kids, they'd want to save money or get something cheaper. The person who last saw her, everyone has been gathering at his place to start searches and he's been super involved. He's a close friend as well, so I don't think any suspicious is going on there.

From what I assume her mom is the first one to notice her missing (remember, she was supposed to go to her brother's graduation with her family Saturday). This ride from the area where her friend lived back to her house was a ride she did very, very, very often, as far as what I've been told. The cops have started taking statements from those who saw her Friday night, so they've started an investigation, which is good.

Mickey would have ridden right by the CajunDome, a large domed venue where they often have sporting events, concerts, etc. It just dawned on me that the Cajun Heartland State Fair is coming up soon, and the carnival people are in town, right there setting up for the fair. I hope the police are talking to them to see if they saw anything suspicious.

It doesn't surprise me that they wouldn't want to eat at the place where they went out at, it's definitely more of a bar than a restaurant, and being young kids, they'd want to save money or get something cheaper. The person who last saw her, everyone has been gathering at his place to start searches and he's been super involved. He's a close friend as well, so I don't think any suspicious is going on there.

From what I assume her mom is the first one to notice her missing (remember, she was supposed to go to her brother's graduation with her family Saturday). This ride from the area where her friend lived back to her house was a ride she did very, very, very often, as far as what I've been told. The cops have started taking statements from those who saw her Friday night, so they've started an investigation, which is good.

I looked up the location where the friends went on Friday night....it mentioned that it was a popular pizza place. But it also was classified as a "bar." I've never been to the spot myself and was just going on what I read online.

Wow! Attractive, petite gal riding a bike alone at 2am what could go wrong there!

Lots of good questions already raised! Would have to scour the route she took to look for anything from the bicycle or from her.... she sadly seems like an easy target for someone to have struck her bicycle and taken her and her cycle...
Wonder if she had done this kind of trip from BF late at night before... wonder if he had offered to follow her (does he have a car)... wonder if he calls after giving her time to get home to check if she made it okay...

BTW, I have twin daughters the same age as Mickey....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken