GUILTY UK - Joanna Yeates, 25, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is very strange - so is the name Dahlia - there was a famous murder in America called The Black Dahlia.

Wind up?

Probably. The Dahlia's is perhaps America's most famous unsolved case. (Or at least the most famous involving a body severed in half and left in a public area!)

Police lift ITV ban in Joanna Yeates case

Avon & Somerset constabulary permit ITV News to attend news conferences after 'accurate and counterbalanced' report at lunchtime

Oooh, touchy aren't they, the LE. They don't wanna play ball with meanies.

All this is detracting from the seriousness of the case, imo. To hell with banning ITV News, then un-banning them - just get on with your jobs you LE folks.

jmo

I know it's off topic but:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-18-2003-39261.asp

an ex cop reckons the killer was his dad.

Yes, I've read Hodel's book, and it's quite convincing. (He's recently written another, implicating his father in all sorts of other famous crimes - Zodiac Killer, etc. etc. - which isn't nearly so.) Another fine book on the Dahlia case is "Exquisite Corpse: Surrealism and the Black Dahlia Murder," which includes some of the Hodel theory and is lavishly illustrated (stuff by Duchamp, Man Ray, etc. - the thesis is the Dahlia's posed staging in death was done by the murderer to imitate certain Surrealist artworks and themes).

Here's the WS Black Dahlia thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18118&highlight=black+dahlia

----

Agreed, jigzy, that whole ITV nonsense is the sign of a flustered investigation.

I know it's off topic but:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/4-18-2003-39261.asp

an ex cop reckons the killer was his dad.

I read the book by the guy who claims his father was the Black Dahlia killer, a murder which took place here in my town, my home town, Los Angeles.

IMO, it was based on little or no evidence. A reviewer even suggested Hodel had "issues" with his father.

Read it, but not if you are looking for the story of the Black Dahlia, or finding her killer.

Just a few thoughts:

Perhaps the act of dragging her body in haste to the verge in Longwood Lane made the sock come off on the road. I wonder if a gritter/snow plough cleared that road and dragged it some distance away - or if people allow dogs to roam freely - an animal could have moved it.

Perhaps the body was moved from an initial panicked dumping site in Clifton where the missing sock might have come off unnoticed. Her body might have been moved to Longwood Lane later, minus sock, in a bid to conceal it more effectively, but that didn't work out due to another vehicle coming, therefore another panicked deposit.

I would veeery much like to see the press reporting on sniffer dogs being involved in this case.

jmo

jmo

Just a few thoughts:

Perhaps the act of dragging her body in haste to the verge in Longwood Lane made the sock come off on the road. I wonder if a gritter/snow plough cleared that road and dragged it some distance away - or if people allow dogs to roam freely - an animal could have moved it.

Perhaps the body was moved from an initial panicked dumping site in Clifton where the missing sock might have come off unnoticed. Her body might have been moved to Longwood Lane later, minus sock, in a bid to conceal it more effectively, but that didn't work out due to another vehicle coming, therefore another panicked deposit.

I would veeery much like to see the press reporting on sniffer dogs being involved in this case.

jmo

jmo

Agreed, both on the sock gone missing on Longwood Lane and possibly being taken away by the plow, and on the dogs.

Guardian continues the national media introspection with

Yeates murder: There is no excuse for the wholly unbalanced media reporting

Media lynching of an 'ideal suspect' is not unusual but attacks on Chris Jefferies' reputation are defamatory and break PCC code

The Enemies of Reason blog summarises the coverage as follows:

"His photograph has appeared on the front page of national newspapers 11 times. He was described as "weird", "lewd", "strange", "creepy", "angry", "odd", "disturbing", "eccentric", "a loner" and "unusual" in the course of just one article.

That the former English teacher should have liked the classic Oscar Wilde poem The Ballad of Reading Gaol was described by one article as "Chris Jefferies' favourite poem was about killing wife". That the teacher should have taught pupils about the horror of the Holocaust and a classic novel by Wilkie Collins was described as him being "obsessed with death".

He was accused of being a 'peeping tom' by people who never made a complaint to police about his activities. One front-page headline asked of the landlord "Could this man hold the key to Joanna's death?" and the next day asked "Was Jo's body hidden next to her flat?" next to a picture of him".

"Could this man hold the key to Joanna's death?"

Hold the key - dear God, how long did it take for the reporter/editor to come up with that one :rolleyes:

"Could this man hold the key to Joanna's death?"

Hold the key - dear God, how long did it take for the reporter/editor to come up with that one :rolleyes:

LOL. Crisp and inventive use of the language, certainly. Chaucer weeps.

How could I have missed this one, referred to in the Guardian piece and published in the Mirror?

Joanna Yeates murder investigation: Chris Jefferies' 'favourite' poem was about killing wife

I'm not sure if I "stared vacantly into space" when I used to teach that one; at least I didn't have blue hair.

But detectives had been keeping a close eye on retired public school teacher Jefferies even before his claims surfaced in public, sources with knowledge of the investigation said.
I don't think it was ever divulged why detectives had been watching him and what evidence they had connecting him with suspicion of murder

Who knows.... L/E may have been watching him prior to Joanna's disappearance/murder.
Just a thought.

re. CJ

I should be very surprised (and in disbelief of the incompetency of it) if the LE were NOT interested in him before he allegedly claimed he saw some people that night. The fact that he is JY's landlord and has access via key would certainly mean that he should have been one of considerable interest to the LE given that they could see no obvious signs of forced entry.

jmo.

Agreed. CJ had the means and opportunity to do it; as for motive, that's an amorphous thing best left to the courts - police working the case in real time can't concern themselves with it, overly. It can consist of many things, but not so the means and opportunity.

I simply do not 'get' the delay in reporting to the LE if what GR's mother says is correct in this article:

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/Family-s-plea-Jo-murder/article-3047139-detail/article.html

Earlier Mrs Reardon had spoken of when Greg called her when he arrived home.

She said: "He phoned me on Sunday and said 'I've just got home and Jo's not here'.

"At the time, I told him not to worry as she must have just nipped out. Then he said all her stuff was still there and later reported her missing."

Agreed. CJ had the means and opportunity to do it; as for motive, that's an amorphous thing best left to the courts - police working the case in real time can't concern themselves with it, overly. It can consist of many things, but not so the means and opportunity.

I haven't changed my original thoughts that it was him. He got caught snooping after wrongly thinking both Jo and Greg were going away.

That led to the motive - to silence Jo and preserve his reputation if she threatened to call the police.

He could have easily removed the body from the flats into his car without being seen or his behaviour being out the ordinary.

He had ample time to clean the crime scene before Jo was reported missing on the Sunday including disposing of the sock and pizza where they are unlikely to ever be found.

I haven't changed my original thoughts that it was him. He got caught snooping after wrongly thinking both Jo and Greg were going away.

That led to the motive - to silence Jo and preserve his reputation if she threatened to call the police.

He could have easily removed the body from the flats into his car without being seen or his behaviour being out the ordinary.

He had ample time to clean the crime scene before Jo was reported missing on the Sunday including disposing of the sock and pizza where they are unlikely to ever be found.

Given what we know, this scenario makes the most sense to me, too. Right now.

I'm not upset at all with police holding Jefferies for questioning. What the newspapers did after the fact is another matter.

Given what we know, this scenario makes the most sense to me, too. Right now.

I'm not upset at all with police holding Jefferies for questioning. What the newspapers did after the fact is another matter.

Yes, the press were out of order.

I hope the builders working on the scaffolding next door at Peter Stanley's property have been questioned. They might be able to say whether anyone was stalking the property/ acting unusually.

Regarding the sock - perhaps the police have already found it but are using it as a means to flush out the perp.

The perp may panic thinking the sock will incriminate them and return to try and find the sock to destroy evidence.

They could go looking for it near where the body was dumped or try and get back into the flats when the police leave.

Have seen this technique used before in America - releasing info to enable a perp to incriminate themselves by returning to the scene / where they dumped murder weapon only to have LE watching them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater