Officials: 1 feared dead in Canada roof collapse

What I don't get is there are reports there could be up to 20 victims. How could they not know how many are buried in the rubble by now?:waitasec:

Sad that only after such a disaster such as this, they call a team of experts to analyze what needs to be done.

I always wondered about our country's ability to handle a disaster such as an earthquake, tornado, etc. Do we have any disaster plans in place?

What I don't get is there are reports there could be up to 20 victims. How could they not know how many are buried in the rubble by now?:

Could be people that live in the area that live alone and no one has missed them and they had walked to the mall so no cars to determine who is in there.

I always wondered about our country's ability to handle a disaster such as an earthquake, tornado, etc. Do we have any disaster plans in place?

Here in Victoria they have this quite laughable thing called an "Earthquake Drill" which has to be one of the silliest things I've ever heard. As a former San Francisco resident, I've long since given up trying to explain how misguided they are in this vicinity when it comes to major incidents.

I volunteer for ESS (Emergency Social Services) so, to answer your question, yes there are some people out there who are prepared to tend to the 99.9% that haven't properly prepared :^)

What I don't get is there are reports there could be up to 20 victims. How could they not know how many are buried in the rubble by now?:waitasec:

Sad that only after such a disaster such as this, they call a team of experts to analyze what needs to be done.

as far as rescue operations? LE & fire are trained & obviously the military is trained but drills don't provide the real-life experience that only a disaster can produce

Goderich just had a tornado - did you follow the news on that?

Here in Victoria they have this quite laughable thing called an "Earthquake Drill" which has to be one of the silliest things I've ever heard. As a former San Francisco resident, I've long since given up trying to explain how misguided they are in this vicinity when it comes to major incidents.

I volunteer for ESS (Emergency Social Services) so, to answer your question, yes there are some people out there who are prepared to tend to the 99.9% that haven't properly prepared :^)

you're in the profession so you're obviously going to be more aware, alert, and prepared than the general population

it's all relative IMO & FWIW, I've taken many FA courses over the years (as required by my job) and I haven't retained much - when something happens, I really struggle to remember what I'm supposed to do

my point is that it's the practical experience that teaches so while we can follow a 'manual' in a disaster situation, we're only going to be as prepared as the experiences we've had and that's where calling on experts comes in

I would think that San Fran has much more 'practical' experience with earthquakes than anywhere in Canada, hence more experts and better preparation

Elliot Lake mall searchers emerge with stretcher

Search crews working feverishly to dismantle a partially collapsed shopping mall in Elliot Lake, Ont., this morning have emerged from the debris carrying what appears to be a body on a stretcher, four days after the tragedy left residents maintaining a round-the-clock vigil.

"We are hearing reports of rescuers carrying a body in a body bag," CBC's Natalie Kalata reported from the scene early Wednesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/06/27/elliot-lake-mall-search-found.html

I read somewhere else that there were two ambulances there this morning. There is a whole lot of anger around these parts about how this was initially handled. And how the mall passed a safety inspection a month ago.

One deceased victim with the potential for more.

Trying to alleviate the anger.

Can't release name of deceased yet. Waiting on coroner and to speak to the family.

Possibility there is someone alive in there, but they haven't detected any signs of life.

OPP will investigate death. Numbers on missing people in Elliot Lake fluctuating.

Rescue crews didn't leave, they just suspended their search to figure out other avenues. This doesn't happen around here. He's basically saying they were doing their best, but this area isn't prepared for situations like this.

Reporter saying people have been expecting this to happen. He doesn't have any info on that.

(Didn't catch his name, but this guy's doing a good job with the PC)

Asking about the owner being liable. OPP and ministry of labour will investigate.

Residents asking if a certain area in the mall has been checked where they think people might run to. They have the site schematics and are looking at it.

He's going to speak with the families of missing loved ones.

Rescue workers have removed one body from the rubble of a collapsed mall in Elliot Lake, Ont.

The recovery came as the operation at the Algo Centre Mall entered its fifth day, with fading hopes that anyone will be found alive. There was no immediate confirmation of the identity of the victim, whose removal was marked soberly by some rescue workers removing their hard-hats as a sign of respect.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...from-rubble-of-collapsed-mall/article4373612/

:cry:

On deceased victim with the potential for more.

Trying to alleviate the anger.

Can't release name of deceased yet. Waiting on coroner and to speak to the family.

Possibility there is someone alive in there, but they haven't detected any signs of life.

OPP will investigate death. Numbers on missing people in Elliot Lake fluctuating.

Rescue crews didn't leave, they just suspended their search to figure out other avenues. This doesn't happen around here. He's basically saying they were doing their best, but this area isn't prepared for situations like this.

Thank you. What a tragedy. I hope they do an in depth investigation. If the reports are true regarding the state of the building, I think the building owner (s) should be held accountable.

I missed lots (I suck at transcribing).

That's ok. You did great. :hug:

I'm sure the media will post updates soon. Heartbreaking for family members waiting to hear news about their loved ones still trapped. I just can't imagine. :(

Thank you. What a tragedy. I hope they do an in depth investigation. If the reports are true regarding the state of the building, I think the building owner (s) should be held accountable.

Yep. They had to have known. The community knew it was a disaster waiting to happen. Whoever passed the inspection needs to be held accountable as well.

Although the chances appear slim I still have hope they will pull someone out of there alive. People can survive 4 days. Being at the food court, I'm hoping there are drinks scattered around and within reach.

Although the chances appear slim I still have hope they will pull someone out of there alive. People can survive 4 days. Being at the food court, I'm hoping there are drinks scattered around and within reach.

I have hope also but if someone sustained injuries, I'm not so sure how long one would survive with loss of blood (as an example).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back