"Reckless, irresponsible": Kansas teacher's "gay is same as murder" Facebook rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the part of his post where he states his rant about sins.

It appears he is lumping all sins together as he seems to be saying it doesnt matter what sin you have committed you still have sinned. Not that he meant we should punish people the same way for all sins on earth, but all of us are going to hell. I also do not think his facebook counts as a crowded theater. Nor do believe I need to consider the historical context of of homophobia in this country for me to be of the opinion that this guy was freely speaking on his personal facebook about his religious veiws.

I read what the guy said ,and believe it to be his right as whatever type of christian he is to speak his mind on . I dont think he should lose his Job over that post. I think however on my personal note he might need a check up from the neck up to see if he should be teaching . As long as he is not saying this crap in class what does it matter what he post on his facebook?

Tolerance works both ways. JMO .

My guess is the FB poster is grouping homosexuality in the "mortal" sin category as opposed to the "venial" sin category. If I remember correctly, mortal is the most serious of all sins and I read his post as homosexuality is in the same class of sin as murder, both being mortal sins.

Nope, posters are saying he should lose his job and calling him all sorts of vile things - because they disagree with his religious viewpoints.

I think it's clear where the bullying is coming from here. Somebody says I am the equivalent of a murderer, but when I point out how stupid and unreasonable that claim really is, I am the one who is "vile"?

I've admitted my bias here. Your turn...

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just stating fact and logical conclusions.

Calling me a "bully" doesn't intimidate me. It's just more right-wing whining.

And I don't care whether you like it, it's a FACT that nobody follows all the prohibitions of either Testament. So anybody who claims homosexuality is a sin because the Bible says so is cherry-picking to suit his own prejudices.

It's a fact that no one can follow every tenet listed in the scripture. There is a remedy available though - and the teacher who posted on facebook went on to explain that.
To deny that the Bible specifically mentions homosexuality as a sin, is incorrect.

I am for the most part a big advocate for the teaching profession. I give most who choose to spend the majority of their time preparing young people for life and educating them about the world a lot of credit---I don't think teachers often get the credit they deserve. But the thought that there are such back assward neanderthal's leading classrooms disgusts me. What would possess him to spew this garbage on a social networking site???? It's one thing if he believes that crap and keeps it to himself. But is there no realization, no insight into his own twisted beliefs, no filter which made him hesitate, even for a second, before letting fly with his harmful, bigoted and perverted version of biblical rantings? Makes you wonder what he is doing in the classroom when his only audience is a room full of impressionable minds. Jesus wept, indeed.

I think it's clear where the bullying is coming from here. Somebody says I am the equivalent of a murderer, but when I point out how stupid and unreasonable that claim really is, I am the one who is "vile"?

I've admitted my bias here. Your turn...

You're the only one making the claim of equivalence.

That doesn't make his view point valid, or even above criticism. I haven't called for him to lose his job, I haven't called him anything vile. I haven't called him anything at all - apart from plain wrong.

I personally would love for him to lose his job. He is an embarrassment to his profession.

It's a fact that no one can follow every tenet listed in the scripture. There is a remedy available though - and the teacher who posted on facebook went on to explain that.
To deny that the Bible specifically mentions homosexuality as a sin, is incorrect.

How many degrees do you have in Ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic? As another poster has pointed out, our assumption that we know what was meant by ancient scriptures is really presumption. Particularly considering no originals exist of any of the texts.

All we can study are hand-me-down copies, all of which were amended to suit the prejudices of the copyists.

But I'm willing to assume for the same of discussion that the three or four passages in question in the OT mean roughly what English translations say they mean. (I'm not ready to concede the NT references as they are much more ambiguous.) As you acknowledge, that doesn't mean anyone can follow all the prohibitions, so condemning homosexuality is merely throwing stones from a glass house.

So which religions are ok to believe in and speak about as a teacher?

How about the question I asked earlier. What would you think if a public school teacher posted on his fb page that apostasy from Islam should be punishable by death? Or even that it was equivalent to murder?

How about the question I asked earlier. What would you think if a public school teacher posted on his fb page that apostasy from Islam should be punishable by death? Or even that it was equivalent to murder?

Isn't that their belief?

Funny, this guy also references people not "understanding my heart" whilst trying to defend himself and copping out by just chalking up the criticism and alarm with the ol' people "just don't understand me", and "if you knew me you'd know I love everyone" sniveling. I recently read a similar post in the Trayvon Martin thread whereby a poster was trying to absolve his/herself of the obviously bigoted viewpoint she/he was displaying ad nauseum by slipping in something about having a "good heart". People with good hearts, people with compassion, people with empathy, people with decency don't believe this stuff, and they certainly don't make it their life's work to poison the mind's of others. Freedom of speech does not absolve one from freedom of responsibility to live their life as a decent citizen of the world. He should be ashamed. At the very least, he can't like himself very much.

How many degrees do you have in Ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic? As another poster has pointed out, our assumption that we know what was meant by ancient scriptures is really presumption. Particularly considering no originals exist of any of the texts.

All we can study are hand-me-down copies, all of which were amended to suit the prejudices of the copyists.

But I'm willing to assume for the same of discussion that the three or four passages in question in the OT mean roughly what English translations say they mean. (I'm not ready to concede the NT references as they are much more ambiguous.) As you acknowledge, that doesn't mean anyone can follow all the prohibitions, so condemning homosexuality is merely throwing stones from a glass house.

Are you saying that you can only have knowledge on a given subject with a degree? Really?

What exactly is ambiguous from the early Greek writings?

Funny, this guy also references people not "understanding my heart" whilst trying to defend himself and copping out by just chalking up the criticism and alarm with the ol' people "just don't understand me", and "if you knew me you'd know I love everyone" sniveling. I recently read a similar post in the Trayvon Martin thread whereby a poster was trying to absolve his/herself of the obviously bigoted viewpoint she/he was displaying ad nauseum by slipping in something about having a "good heart". People with good hearts, people with compassion, people with empathy, people with decency don't believe this stuff, and they certainly don't make it their life's work to poison the mind's of others. Freedom of speech does not absolve one from freedom of responsibility to live their life as a decent citizen of the world. He should be ashamed. At the very least, he can't like himself very much.

I'm sure this makes sense on some level to someone here - what is your point exactly?

So which religions are ok to believe in and speak about as a teacher?
\

He shouldn't be speaking about any of them in the public school system except in purely academic terms. Outside of school, he should know enough to keep his ugly beliefs and perspective to himself. Does he really think the average parent wants their child exposed to the likes of him during the school day? It's akin to being fine with your child's teacher being a drug addict, alcoholic or otherwise unhinged individual. He is free to do whatever he wants during his after school hours. But if he doesn't think that there are going to be consequences when he gets caught with his pants down, so to speak, how incredibly ignorant and naive.

Isn't that their belief?

For some schools of Islam, yes. So how would you feel about a public school teacher who posted that on their fb page? Would you trust them to teach children - even if one of them was a young muslim questioning her beliefs?

\

He shouldn't be speaking about any of them in the public school system except in purely academic terms. Outside of school, he should know enough to keep his ugly beliefs and perspective to himself. Does he really think the average parent wants their child exposed to the likes of him during the school day? It's akin to being fine with your child's teacher being a drug addict, alcoholic or otherwise unhinged individual. He is free to do whatever he wants during his after school hours. But if he doesn't think that there are going to be consequences when he gets caught with his pants down, so to speak, how incredibly ignorant and naive.

There were no pants down at all - so that so to speak doesn't matter at all and is actually offensive in the context of the thread.
So basically, as long as some one bows to the god of political correctness they can post whatever they want -

Got it.

Ye olde "political correctness" argument doesnt fly. For about the last 25 years, conservatives and fundamentalists have tried to excuse their bigotry by claiming they're victims of some "political correctness movement". This worked for a while, but I think that's finally coming to and end - because most of the rest of the public is finally waking up to the fact that there is no "PC police". But there ARE a while lot of conservative and fu damentalist bigots.

For some schools of Islam, yes. So how would you feel about a public school teacher who posted that on their fb page? Would you trust them to teach children - even if one of them was a young muslim questioning her beliefs?

are you seriously trying to compare a call to violence with strong disapproval of gay marriage - is that really what you are hoping to do?

You're trying to compare a Bible verse that says all sin is sin, there is no difference between that and a call to kill those that believe you should be killed for not believing the same way? REALLY?

Why don't we compare apples and apples for a minute.
Should a Muslim be allowed to quote from the Koran "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both..." as a basis for disagreeing with gay marriage?

Ye olde "political correctness" argument doesnt fly. For about the last 25 years, conservatives and fundamentalists have tried to excuse their bigotry by claiming they're victims of some "political correctness movement". This worked for a while, but I think that's finally coming to and end - because most of the rest of the public is finally waking up to the fact that there is no "PC police". But there ARE a while lot of conservative and fu damentalist bigots.

Well there is always the bullying effect of calling people names like bigots when they disagree with you....that always leads to productive conversations

are you seriously trying to compare a call to violence with strong disapproval of gay marriage - is that really what you are hoping to do?

You're trying to compare a Bible verse that says all sin is sin, there is no difference between that and a call to kill those that believe you should be killed for not believing the same way? REALLY?

Why don't we compare apples and apples for a minute.
Should a Muslim be allowed to quote from the Koran "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both..." as a basis for disagreeing with gay marriage?

Let's don't pretend the Bible doesn't require capital punishment for a wide variety of offenses. If the teacher's argument is that something must be so because it is written in the OT, doesn't he have to own the entire document?

How about if the teacher had posted on FB that all wives who weren't virgins on their wedding nights (see Deuteronomy) should be put to death? Would that be okay just because he "believes" it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla