TX TX - Joshua Davis, 18 months, New Braunfels, 4 Feb 2011 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That pretty much sums it up: mom was watching a movie with him and he wandered out, reportedly to his dad where the dad said he kept pulling his hat off while the dad was trying to watch the basketball game (I think this part is important). Then the mom got concerned when she noticed little Joshua had not returned so she went looking for him. No one could find him, so they called the police.

Your post triggered something scary that happened when my son was a toddler. We were at my parents home and my husband was sitting in one of their big recliners. My son escaped just as I was trying to get him to take a bath so I went to search in livingroom, and just as DH went to stand up, I saw escaped child curled up under the chair. He would have been badly injured if my husband had put all of his weight down and collapsed the footstool. KWIM?

[ i think i read earlier the dad was sitting in the recliner]

Random information from an older article:

Family friend Lee Jackson said, “There was one of (Joshua’s) toy balls found at the end of the block. It was on top of some mailboxes. There’s no way he got it up there by himself.”

NBPD officials do not suspect alcohol or drugs played a factor in the family’s awareness of Joshua’s disappearance.

"I last saw my son around 8 last night,” said Josh Davis, Joshua’s father. “He was pulling on my beanie trying to take it off. He was behind my chair. When I told him to stop, he looked at me and smiled.

“Someone took him,” said Michelle Griffin, family friend. “He needs medical attention immediately. He has asthma and other medical conditions.”

Although police officials have questioned Joshua’s parents, Sabrina Benitez, 21, and Josh Davis, 23, other family members present at the time of Joshua’s disappearance and residents in the Savannah Hill Circle neighborhood, family friends are suspicious of a neighbor. The Texas Department of Public Safety’s sex offender registry lists five people who live within a one-mile radius of the house, including one man on Savannah Hill Circle.“The sex offender has been interviewed, and we have also conducted searches on his residence and vehicle. As of right now, we have nothing to believe he’s involved in this case,” Penshorn said.

http://herald-zeitung.com/news/community_alert/article_f3907074-3188-11e0-a507-001cc4c03286.html

Just noted this about the individual who came and left between the time Mom saw Joshua last and reported him missing:

One individual came in and out of the house between when Benitez last saw the toddler and reported him missing, but that person is not considered a suspect. Penshorn said police don't think anyone at the house took the child. No Amber Alert has been issued for Joshua because such an alert typically requires solid evidence that an abduction took place.
And this about the scent dogs. No scent of him leaving the yard (assuming the dogs were the right type) would imply he never left the yard. But where does that leave the cadaver dogs then? There were no hits by the cadaver dogs, were there?

"They had scent dogs out here, and (they) said there was no scent of him leaving the yard," the toddler's father, Josh Davis Sr., told CNN affiliate KENS. "So I don't see how he could have wandered off, or else they would have picked something up."
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-joshua-davis-missing,0,7686494.story

Maybe years of being the field has actually been better for me than I thought. I've seen a lot of horrible things, but I've also seen a lot of happy endings. I've been surprised to learn that I was dead wrong when I thought for sure someone was involved and it turned out they weren't. Only a couple of times have I thought a person was innocent when they weren't. Mostly I've learned to not judge or make those decisions as it doesn't change my job and what I'm there to do, in fact it can really lead me astray. I thought I was really jaded, but I'm starting to realize that so many of the "happy endings" or even the simple tragedies never make it here or to the news so the cases in public view end up a bit skewed to the ugly side.

It's just too hard to guess in this case, at least for me. But I do feel there is an adult involved and the idea that one who wanted a child and had a place to stash him just as the child appeared, is too much for me to believe.

I can see where this young couple would be angry, they said from day 1 they felt Joshua was taken, all weekend mom seemed to feel LE was not interested in her feelings and they were only looking for a child who wandered away.

The parents don't understand why no Amber Alert was called - while I completely understand this did not meet the strict criteria for AA - if it was my baby I might not want to hear that!

While I have a hard time believing an 18 month old baby managed to wander away in 30 to 40 degree weather, if he wasn't taken by someone inside that house, then who? Some kidnapper who randomly happened to be waiting in front of their home? Not likely...

I hope the fact that TES has Josh on their website means they are getting into the search - one way or another, bring this baby home and if someone is involved in his disappearance, throw the book at him or her.

Looks like things may be changing:
2/8/11
snip

the search.....intensified and shifted focus Tuesday from a recovery effort to a full-blown criminal investigation
Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...rch-for-missing-tot-1003212.php#ixzz1DR3KlpnX

Police spoke to the child's pediatrician Tuesday, Penshorn said, and concluded that the child's survivability window in last weekend's sub-freezing weather was only 24 hours. Armed with that information and the numerous searches, it becomes less likely that the child wandered off and died in the elements. “Our searching, from this point on, will be focused on information gathered from tips,” the chief said.
Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...rch-for-missing-tot-1003212.php#ixzz1DR0yyQy2

This beautiful boy with the awesome eyes and smile continues to be in my prayers.

Nine people in that house. Someone knows something. JMO

“I last saw my son around 8 last night,” said Josh Davis, Joshua’s father. “He was pulling on my beanie trying to take it off. He was behind my chair. When I told him to stop, he looked at me and smiled.

“That was the last time I saw him.”

http://herald-zeitung.com/news/community_alert/article_f3907074-3188-11e0-a507-001cc4c03286.html

Really? So we have a house full of people watching a basketball game on TV, baby is behind daddy's chair pestering him and...what happened????

I am so not buying this.

Is it possible LE started off on the completely wrong foot here? Whether someone there that night is responsible for taking Joshua or whether he is thought to be a victim of foul play, it should have been determined immediately - or much sooner, at the least, by LE.

I really find it hard to believe they've wasted days and hella resources searching for a baby they believed wandered away on his own if it was more than likely he didn't.

Update - Saturday 930PM

New Braunfels Police Department Lt. Michael Penshorn said officers also went door-to-door in the neighborhood. “We’ve made contact with every single homeowner in that entire area.”

He said officials are looking at the case as one in which Joshua simply wandered off. “Our best course of action is to just continue with the search process, presuming that he just wandered off from the residence.”

“We don’t have anything right now that would indicate to us that it is an abduction.

Update Sat 630PM

Police officers contacted about 2,400 homeowners in the area. According to the release, calls to notify the public about the search were sent out to 2,414 residences using the Emergency Notification System.

“There were two messages on my voicemail last night about the missing child,” resident Marie Rierson said. “I received another call this morning from New Braunfels Police Department describing the child.”

OK - just had time to watch a video that was posted toward end of thread#1.

http://www.woai.com/home.aspx

It's the one titled "Search for Joshua is looking more and more desperate" & talks about the bucket & tarp.

In it, the reporter also says the FBI "is not ruling out foul play & that they will be investigating the possibility of a kidnapping".

I understand why LE seems to be leaning this direction as a possibility as they can't find this baby so wandering off might not be what happened.

I'm trying to think of another case where a little one was abducted at a family gathering or party & no one saw anything - and I can't ATM.

Just wish we knew something about what happened to him!!

Did I read that dad said the dogs did not pick up his scent outside of the yard ? Then that tells me Joshua was put in a vehicle and driven away...moo

I'll see if I can find that link brb.....

ETA:

Still, as of Monday, police searches involving people, helicopters and dogs hadn't led to any signs of the boy.

"They had scent dogs out here, and (they) said there was no scent of him leaving the yard," the toddler's father, Josh Davis Sr., told CNN affiliate KENS. "So I don't see how he could have wandered off, or else they would have picked something up."

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-joshua-davis-missing,0,7686494.story

Did I read that dad said the dogs did not pick up his scent outside of the yard ? Then that tells me Joshua was put in a vehicle and driven away...moo

I'll see if I can find that link brb.....

Well yeah. But don't you find it a bit strange they didn't pick up his scent at all? I mean, he may not have wandered out on his own Friday night, but surely he had been outside before Friday night?

Quick question ? In any of the photos of the home was there a "for sale" sign in the yard, a realtor sign ?
TIA

Update - Monday 11PM False Leads Hampered Investigation

Authorities have ruled out foul play, says Lt. Michael Penshorn of the New Braunfels police, but investigators interviewed sex offenders nearby and have continued to question family and friends.

Police also have had to quash rumors and red herrings.

The latest was a frantic broadcast report that searchers ripped up the mobile home floor in a search for remains. In fact, according to police, searchers merely opened the trailer's apron and crawled under the home.

A Facebook post Sunday indicated the boy had been sighted on Hunter Road, on the other side of town. It proved to be false, but was discounted only after police sent officers and a dog team out to investigate it.

Another distraction centered on a toy that was found resting on a mailbox. Initial speculation was that it was too high for the child to have placed it there, indicating an adult's involvement in his disappearance. Penshorn, however, explained the ball was an old, forgotten toy found in high weeds and placed on the mailbox by a searcher Saturday or Sunday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Bloodhounds-join-search-for-toddler-1001661.php

Is it possible LE started off on the completely wrong foot here? Whether someone there that night is responsible for taking Joshua or whether he is thought to be a victim of foul play, it should have been determined immediately - or much sooner, at the least, by LE.

I really find it hard to believe they've wasted days and hella resources searching for a baby they believed wandered away on his own if it was more than likely he didn't.

I think LE is in a lose/lose situation here. On a cold dark night they are pretty much forced to immediately go all out on their search efforts. A toddler could freeze and die in the neighborhood before sunrise.

So if they focused on the various RSO's first and the kid was found curled up in a neighbors yard it would be devastating/ JMO

Quick question ? In any of the photos of the home was there a "for sale" sign in the yard, a realtor sign ?
TIA

There was on bing.com when I searched the address.

ETA: I can't get a good picture of it but elepher had a good one on the first thread:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - TX TX - Joshua Davis, 18 months, New Braunfels, 4 Feb 2011 - #1

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2515 Savannah Circle.jpg
    2515 Savannah Circle.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 198
I think LE is in a lose/lose situation here. On a cold dark night they are pretty much forced to immediately go all out on their search efforts. A toddler could freeze and die in the neighborhood before sunrise.

So if they focused on the various RSO's first and the kid was found curled up in a neighbors yard it would be devastating/ JMO

True, but it wasn't just that first night. The ground search continued through Sunday. And Josh's Mom seemed to be trying to tell them she thought someone at the home on Friday may have been responsible.

If LE is completely changing direction now, I'm afraid that days have been wasted.

It's just too hard to guess in this case, at least for me. But I do feel there is an adult involved and the idea that one who wanted a child and had a place to stash him just as the child appeared, is too much for me to believe.

Darn! I was just about to post how this case could turn it like the one where the little girl was stolen by a distant family friend or relative and raised as that person's child until, the kid was about eight and the mom discovered her in the other person's care. A movie was made about it. Delimar Vera was her name I think. The woman set the house on fire and then snatched the baby I think. It can happen. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth