Stars of TLCs Sister Wives Under Investigation

Kato works as a comparison, but he really reminded me of Richard Heene-- of balloon boy fame. Hyper, self aggrandizing, and over the top self-righteousness. Blech.

Kind of a poser in the "fundamentalist" movement, imo.

I was wondering how TLC would promote something illegal. I thought maybe it was just some kind of a sick joke. These reality shows are getting desperate. What next, "men who beat their wives?" Shame on you TLC, why don't you do some shows on helping the homeless or a show on the disabled. Start helping the people who really need help instead of rich housewives, and people with too many kids, and especially a man with too many wives.

Here is the marriage law for Utah: You have to be divorced before you get remarried.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE30/htm/30_01_000200.htm

You are correct....what concenting grown adults do is their own business. It's the children that I worry about. Even if they are not marrying and impregnating young girls that is a really odd (to say the least) environment for children to grow up in.

I don't think so. If the family functions, the children are loved, nurtured and cared for by an extra mom or two, how could that possibly be a bad thing?

It would sure beat the heck outta daycare, don't ya think? To always have at least ONE mom around would be far better than many so called normal households. You know the ones where there is an every other weekend dad, mom works 12 hours a day to make ends meet, and baby is dropped off with strangers 10 hours a day.

Regarding the "hey,we're not hurting anyone" thing. We have laws. Can we break the law just because, "hey, I"m a consenting adult, and I'm not hurting anyone else!"

Are you hurting the children who see you break the law and think, "hey, it's ok to break the law...Mom/Dad/Aunt Betty did it..."

That's how we grow a class of children who have no conscience, who one day, grow up to be a class of adults who have no conscience. The kind of people you read about here, shake your head, and say, "how could they do that? What were they thinking?? Don't they have a conscience?"

I suppose I am rather progressive and I am of the mindset I don't want the government telling me who I can and can't love. What I do in my own bedroom is MY BUSINESS and what my neighbor does in his, is HIS BUSINESS.

Some states still have laws about adultery on the books and sodomy.

With out the civil rights movement an entire race of people would still be sitting at the back of the bus. Woman wouldn't be allowed to vote and would still be having back alley abortions. Some laws need to be broken and changed and the masses educated.

I am all about civil rights for EVERYONE. I also believe gay people should have every legal right to get married.

Families are formed in many different ways as long as they aren't abusive, it's none of my business.

I feel if a person doesn't agree with plural marriage, it's simple...don't enter into one. It really is just that simple.

I blame this entire trampling of some American's basic rights on religion. It's time that the religious who are so dead set against it, get their own houses in order and realize not everyone shares their beliefs.

They aren't homeschooled. According to the first episode that I watched, the kids were all homeschooled until a few years ago and now they attend a school specifically designed for polygamist families.

Who thinks that school will be shut down..show of hands everybody.

My hand is UP!!!

I suppose I am rather progressive and I am of the mindset I don't want the government telling me who I can and can't love. What I do in my own bedroom is MY BUSINESS and what my neighbor does in his, is HIS BUSINESS.

With out the civil rights movement an entire race of people would still be sitting at the back of the bus. Woman wouldn't be allowed to vote and would still be having back alley abortions. Some laws need to be broken and changed and the masses educated.

I am all about civil rights for EVERYONE. I also believe gay people should have every legal right to get married.

Families are formed in many different ways as long as they aren't abusive, it's none of my business.

I feel if a person doesn't agree with plural marriage, it's simple...don't enter into one. It really is just that simple.

I blame this entire trampling of some American's basic rights on religion. It's time that the religious who are so dead set against it, get their own houses in order and realize not everyone shares their beliefs.

Good for you. I wish I could be as open minded-but I agree that there are boundaries that have to be drawn. I dont see this relationship as being particularly progressive for the women involved. There is some subservience here-wonder if he was so progressive that any of them could leave if they so chose or bring in another man?

This is the same reason I do not really buy the legalized prostitution position-I dont think women or men choose it from a position of strength. Pretty arrogant on my part, but I think by and large absolute power in any relationship causes someone to lose out. JMO.

I agre with Linda7NJ. I really don't have a problem if someone wants to engage in a polygamist relationship (or as they are often called now without the religious conotation - Polyamorous relationship)

As long as it takes place between consenting adults, there is no coersion or force involved and they are not committing welfare or any other sort of fraud I really don't think its any of my business.

The big muddy mess is that laws regarding marriage, cohabitation, etc. difer from state to state and what is allowed in one state is against the law in another.

I get worried whenever big brother gets involved in "my" (meaning anyone's) sex life when it involves free, consenting adults.

I saw a sound bite where the wives were talking about how the husband is welcome in all of their beds, but then one of the wives self-righteously pointed out that they don't share beds with the other wives because they are not "weird" like that. I had to chuckle... like what she is doing is normal!

I know a triad... one man 2 women, but they are all in the relationship with each other. Wonderful family, in my eyes... they are 3 equal parts and seem to have everything working well. To each their own is how I see it... but I do think this family on tv have opened up their home situation to judgement and that was a big mistake.

Good for you. I wish I could be as open minded-but I agree that there are boundaries that have to be drawn. I dont see this relationship as being particularly progressive for the women involved. There is some subservience here-wonder if he was so progressive that any of them could leave if they so chose or bring in another man?

This is the same reason I do not really buy the legalized prostitution position-I dont think women or men choose it from a position of strength. Pretty arrogant on my part, but I think by and large absolute power in any relationship causes someone to lose out. JMO.

Whoa! LOL I never said THEY were progressive!

Quite the contrary.

I know lots of subservient women in "normal" marriages.
It's huge among conservative Christian households.
It's huge in many Italian families I'm familair with.
Most of the married folks I know, the man pretty much rules the roost.

I assure you, it doesn't work that way in my home! lol My next door neighbor needs to ask her husband if he could...and I quote..."babysit the kids, while I run to the store" ROFL. I still haven't picked up my jaw from the floor! I'm still confused how a dad "babysits" his own darn kids!!:waitasec: and why in the world would she need to ask??? I know for sure he has never said to her, "can you watch the kkids?" LOL

Polyamory takes many forms, though. I have a good friend who's one of the most empowered, progressive, and independent women you'll ever meet. She's also poly--she's currently dating thee people long-term (two of them are a married couple), and sometimes sees other people 'on the side' (and so do they--although there are no secrets). It's not something that would work for me, but it works for them. My friend's daughter, now a young adult, is also the most empowered and independent young woman I know.

I think marriage, as an institution, has a history of being an unequal power distribution/relationship. It still is, for some people. Poly relationships are no different.

(above bbm)
I'm sure there are many who share your view. Some "normal" people, and some not so normal (like pedophiles, or members of the man-boy-love group).
My post didn't concern civil rights, which, like you, I strongly support.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong, so please, legal authorities, weigh in!) plural marriage is not a basic right.

I guess then I would feel better if the primary relationships we have with one another were more well balanced before both others and children were brought into the mix. I do not do marriage well, but am a good mother. The expectations of me as a wife were head shakin and antiquated as far as I was concerned. there was no middle ground for me, so there you go.

I guess then I would feel better if the primary relationships we have with one another were more well balanced before both others and children were brought into the mix. I do not do marriage well, but am a good mother. The expectations of me as a wife were head shakin and antiquated as far as I was concerned. there was no middle ground for me, so there you go.

Don't let one idiot spoil the idea of marriage for you. I had one just like yours. Best thing I ever did was leave.

I don't think so. If the family functions, the children are loved, nurtured and cared for by an extra mom or two, how could that possibly be a bad thing?

It would sure beat the heck outta daycare, don't ya think? To always have at least ONE mom around would be far better than many so called normal households. You know the ones where there is an every other weekend dad, mom works 12 hours a day to make ends meet, and baby is dropped off with strangers 10 hours a day.

So you think that it's ok for those children (some of them teenagers) to watch their dad rotate to a different woman's bed every night?

Whoa! LOL I never said THEY were progressive!

Quite the contrary.

I know lots of subservient women in "normal" marriages.
It's huge among conservative Christian households.
It's huge in many Italian families I'm familair with.
Most of the married folks I know, the man pretty much rules the roost.

I assure you, it doesn't work that way in my home! lol My next door neighbor needs to ask her husband if he could...and I quote..."babysit the kids, while I run to the store" ROFL. I still haven't picked up my jaw from the floor! I'm still confused how a dad "babysits" his own darn kids!!:waitasec: and why in the world would she need to ask??? I know for sure he has never said to her, "can you watch the kkids?" LOL

You make a great point here, Linda. The difference is that women in legal marriages have legal remedies and protections should they choose to end the marriage. That can not be said for three of this man's wives. IMO, they AND their children are vulnerable if they or their "husband" change their minds about the arrangement.

So you think that it's ok for those children (some of them teenagers) to watch their dad rotate to a different woman's bed every night?

Those children will have been raised to be tolerant, the rooms daddy would be rotating to are their moms. I am sure they would give as much thought to it as the children of two parents entering their room at night.

I also think it's far better for those children than it is for the children of divorced parents.

You make a great point here, Linda. The difference is that women in legal marriages have legal remedies and protections should they choose to end the marriage. That can not be said for three of this man's wives. IMO, they AND their children are vulnerable if they or their "husband" change their minds about the arrangement.

You too make a good point. However, the same can be said about couples that simply choose to live together and the mistresses of married men. That is a personal choice, and so should this be.

We simply can't legislate what constitutes a "family". It's wrong to dictate and mandate and create laws trying to. It's simply morally wrong. Like I said, I do not think any government has the right to tell people who they can love.

(above bbm)
I'm sure there are many who share your view. Some "normal" people, and some not so normal (like pedophiles, or members of the man-boy-love group).

As far as I know (and I could be wrong, so please, legal authorities, weigh in!) plural marriage is not a basic right.

Linda has been pretty clear that she's referring only to consenting adults. Not children. Pedophilia is entirely different.

(above bbm)

Polygamy Laws

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/polygamy/index.shtml

Now seriously, do you want to start enforcing ALL of these laws state by state?

You too make a good point. However, the same can be said about couples that simply choose to live together and the mistresses of married men. That is a personal choice, and so should this be.

We simply can't legislate what constitutes a "family". It's wrong to dictate and mandate and create laws trying to. It's simply morally wrong. Like I said, I do not think any government has the right to tell people who they can love.

I agree - to a certain extent. Pedophiles could use the same rationale. They can't help who they "love." But I don't believe the males in these polygomist families should be calling all the shots while hiding behind "religion."

I guarantee if any of those wives came home one day and announced she had fallen in love with another guy and wanted to bring him into the family, hubby would not only say NO, but would probably tell her to take a hike. It's only ok for HIM. True, the wives have chosen to live the lifestyle. But I have to wonder what tactics guys like this use to justify what they do. Honestly, if they feel they have to hide it from the rest of the world, it's because they know it's wrong.

LE can investigate all they want. Bottom line is, any "marriage" after the first is not legal and will not be recognized as such. Pretending to be married is not a crime.

All the self-righteous folks who fight tirelessly against gay marriage cite, "marriage is between a man and a woman." We won't ever hear them say "between a man and a woman and a woman and a woman and a woman."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back