Found Deceased NH - Celina Cass, 11, Stewartstown, 25 July 2011 # 2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being "retired" from the military means leaving after putting in at least 20 years. He claims to be retired, so maybe he did put in 20 years. In that case, he would be eligible for Tricare for Life, and his prescriptions would be very low cost -- a few dollars, as would his medical care. (As long as the meds and care are within the guidelines.)

If he left with an honorable or medical discharge before putting in 20 years, his healthcare insurance could come under the Veterans' Administration. In that case, his medicines and care could be provided by the VA, with the amount of aid depending on a complicated variety of factors.

Since he graduated from high school in 1983 and was in jail, in the process of being declared incompetent mentally, in 2003 it is possible that he managed to get in his 20 years and then became disabled, but from the identity sites on line, it looks to me like he might have only been in about 9-12 years.

He would not have needed to spend at least 20 years on active duty to be "medically retired" and thus eligible for a full range of benefits from the VA.

I am very sensitive when it comes to mental illness. It is a condition brought on not by anyone's choice. I do know however though that schizophrenia may involved some short term memory loss. Some times this is brought on by the medication they must take to manage their condition. Short term memory loss is not uncommon as well as substance abuse and a miriad of problems. I know that CARD is better trained than I in this but hope they keep in mind that this could be possible with the stepfather. One may take a polygraph and it comes out fine because they truly have no memory of an event. I am just putting this out there as a reminder. Some with schizophrenia have perfect recall though.

I do also want to bring up recent scientific studies by Hammersly and Read which suggest that of those suffering from schizophrenia, many were found to be victims of physical and/or sexual abuse, and the schizophreia is brought on by trauma. Knowing the SF's family backgound, we may theorize that this is a possibility.

Has there been any indication from LE that the step-father is a person of interest in the disappearance of Celina?

No, not even that a crime has taken place as of right now.

As Freja noted, this is a different world up here. We don't have building code inspections beyond the fire chief signing off on a boiler switch and ensuring there is a fire escape for apartments entirely on upper floors. And other than a septic permit (to "operate private sewer system"), there are no certificates of occupancy, no 15 different inspections with delays and fees to build anything like Mass or New Jersey. And before anyone says anything - we LIKE it that way!

Now, even here you couldn't legitimately ADVERTISE a basement room with no escape as a bedroom, but 1) the ad will likely noever be checked, and 2) what someone does with a room in a house after you rent it is another thing entirely (same as anywhere else - beyond control).

Live Free or Die.

Getting tired of these cases.. sigh.
I'm listening to the press conference.
"Statement from the family" UGH!!! You couldn't keep me off the TV begging for help for my missing child!!! They send a friend? No, not cutting it.
Come home soon, Celina!!

Has there been any indication from LE that the step-father is a person of interest in the disappearance of Celina?

AFAIK, they have not named any POI. Even with the SF's FB antics and his history LE has not named him a POI. If a person with paranoid schizophrenia is taking their meds, are they symptom - free ? MOO

The VA Medical Centers (VAMC's) in northern New England are located at Togus, Maine; Manchester, New Hampshire; and White River Junction, Vermont. None of these are "in the area" (50 miles or less). The VA also maintains a number of outpatient clinics (VAOPC's) for those veterans who are not in a reasonable proximity to a VAMC. I do not know off the top of my head what the closest VAOPC to Stewartstown is, but if you'd like me to check, just let me know.
Closest clinic to West Stewartstown is Newport, VT about 50 miles, maybe a little over an hour drive (in good weather). Others are Littleton and Gorham (both NH) about 60 miles and an hour and a half or so drive.

AFAIK, they have not named any POI. Even with the SF's FB antics and his history LE has not named him a POI. If a person with paranoid schizophrenia is taking their meds, are they symptom - free ? MOO

Does anyone know exactly what the symptoms of schizophrenia are? tia

Wow, sent a friend to make a statement?!!!! Amazing! I've been following this one since the get-go and surprised with all of the teams brought in that we know so little! Surely they've scoured the computer already!

Agreed, I feel better knowing the FBI is here. Was it 2 weeks or something when they started to help with Maura?? NHLE doesn't have much experience with these cases, and there are only a handfull of LE in Stewartstown.

One WS individual has a word they use "Kerfuffle" Sorry, can't remember the owner of that, but I love that. Maura's case had/has kerfuffles. IMO, due to egos, but Maura was a legal adult and those cases are handled differently. Maura is a major reason I am here and do what I do. Her father still searches the woods for her bones and I wish I could help bring closure. A father whose life is about searching for his child's bones is no life. What a horrible torture every day. It is the first and last thing he thinks about every day. I do the best I can every day and that is all I can do.... and pray.
Offerring a prayer for dear Celina.

Schizophrenia is a brain disorder that affects the way a person acts, thinks, and sees the world. People with schizophrenia have an altered perception of reality, often a significant loss of contact with reality. They may see or hear things that don’t exist, speak in strange or confusing ways, believe that others are trying to harm them, or feel like they’re being constantly watched.
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/schizophrenia_symptom.htm

I thought that the article said Paranoid Schizophrenia. If so there is a difference:

Signs and symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia may include:

Auditory hallucinations, such as hearing voices
Delusions, such as believing a co-worker wants to poison you
Anxiety
Anger
Emotional distance
Violence
Argumentativeness
Self-important or condescending manner
Suicidal thoughts and behavior
With paranoid schizophrenia, you're less likely to be affected by mood problems or problems with thinking, concentration and attention.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/paranoid-schizophrenia/DS00862/DSECTION=symptoms

ETA: http://www.schizophrenia.com/ami/

I honestly feel bad for the spepfather. Schizophrenia is definetly not an easy meantal illness to deal with...

I wonder why so many veterans develop mental disorders?? It's alarming.
With that said, I hope Celina is safe. I don't think we should condemn her stepfather as the bad guy yet, specially because he seems to have serious mental disorders.

I personally don't know "why so many veterans develop mental disorders," but I can share with you my husband's background that perhaps will give you additional insight.

My husband came from a background of abject poverty and extreme violence; he grew up in the largest city in New England. He quit school in the ninth grade to support his mother and four younger sisters; when he quit school, he was a straight A student. He enlisted in the U.S. Army at the age of 17 in 1965 on "the buddy system" with his best friend whom he never saw for four years after they signed up together. He enlisted to escape being killed by his stepfather--after repeated beatings by his stepfather landed him in the hospital.

Although he believed he was going to be trained as a truck mechanic, he wound up being trained as a medic; he graduated at the top of his class. His first assignment was in Germany, and because there was so much racial tension between American soldiers, he volunteered to go to Vietnam "so I could do some good instead of patching up soldiers who had been assaulted because of the color of their skin." He earned the combat medic's badge (CMB) in Vietnam. When he returned to the U.S. after a year in Vietnam, he was spat upon, kicked, heckled, and insulted in the airports in Seattle and Chicago enroute home.

Among what he experienced in Germany, Vietnam, and the United States, he developed a full blown case of post traumatic stress disorder, most of which was combat induced. I could make the case that when he entered the military, he certainly didn't have the best background to draw upon for inner strength and support.

I am pleased to be able to share that he receives THE BEST CARE imaginable from a VA Medical Center which is affiliated with an Ivy League medical school; I am also pleased to share that he is greeted by absolute strangers who address him as "Doc" and who tell him that he may have been the combat medic who saved their lives in Vietnam so many years ago.....

To all the veterans who read this post, I thank you for your service and
to those who served in Vietnam, "welcome home!"

This site has good solid info, but each person is an individual and suffers from this disorder and responds to meds in different ways.
http://www.schizophrenia.com/szparanoid.htm

thanks to all of you for responding to my question. i read the same articles and I was particularily interested to see if pedophelia (sp) was one of the symptoms. I did not see that listed in any of the articles. that is not to say that it might not exist, but I don't think his diagnosis of being schizo would tend to make him one. however, I can see if he is paranoid, anger and abuse might weigh in. he might require lots of attention also and could have been jealous of Celina.

Having made these comments I would like to add that I am certainly not an expert but I am sure there are experts that are working on this case. It is just a feeling but I believe there will be a quick resolution. And I pray it is a good one for a change. jmo

I personally don't know "why so many veterans develop mental disorders," but I can share with you my husband's background that perhaps will give you additional insight.

My husband came from a background of abject poverty and extreme violence; he grew up in the largest city in New England. He quit school in the ninth grade to support his mother and four younger sisters; when he quit school, he was a straight A student. He enlisted in the U.S. Army at the age of 17 in 1965 on "the buddy system" with his best friend whom he never saw for four years after they signed up together. He enlisted to escape being killed by his stepfather--after repeated beatings by his stepfather landed him in the hospital.

Although he believed he was going to be trained as a truck mechanic, he wound up being trained as a medic; he graduated at the top of his class. His first assignment was in Germany, and because there was so much racial tension between American soldiers, he volunteered to go to Vietnam "so I could do some good instead of patching up soldiers who had been assaulted because of the color of their skin." He earned the combat medic's badge (CMB) in Vietnam. When he returned to the U.S. after a year in Vietnam, he was spat upon, kicked, heckled, and insulted in the airports in Seattle and Chicago enroute home.

Among what he experienced in Germany, Vietnam, and the United States, he developed a full blown case of post traumatic stress disorder, most of which was combat induced. I could make the case that when he entered the military, he certainly didn't have the best background to draw upon for inner strength and support.

I am pleased to be able to share that he receives THE BEST CARE imaginable from a VA Medical Center which is affiliated with an Ivy League medical school; I am also pleased to share that he is greeted by absolute strangers who address him as "Doc" and who tell him that he may have been the combat medic who saved their lives in Vietnam so many years ago.....

Thank You kiln and thank your dear husband.

This is a very touching post to me.

Your husband sounds like quite a guy,,,, he endured and won out in the end...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/2...lly-search-for-missing-new-hampshire-girl-11/

This is good to know:

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was asked to assist in mapping the locations of sex offenders in the area and sent a representative, retired police investigator Charles Masino, to Stewartstown to help investigators, said Ernie Allen, the center's president.

"This one is real scary," Allen said. "We're hopeful. There's a very aggressive effort under way to find her. So we certainly have not given up hope."

Investigators are likely working on several different theories simultaneously and ruling them out one by one, Allen said. Several areas of concern are the girl's young age, which makes it unlikely that she'd run away, the fact she was had been using a computer before she disappeared and the close proximity of the Canadian border, he said.

"The good news is that in these kinds of cases, which can be real scary, most kids come home safely," he said. "So just because it's been two or three days doesn't mean that there's no hope. There's an array of scenarios under which she could be out there."

------------
Debbie Whelan, who dialed 911 after Celina's older sister Kayla went to her house looking for the missing girl Tuesday morning, said community residents continue to pray for her return even as unsettling thoughts enter their minds.

Whelan, who has six girls, several of whom go to school with Celina, said the 11-year-old never would've run away because she was too timid. Because of that, Whelan and many others believe someone went to the home to take her away.

More at link....

I have a little info on the subject, but then again, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" I believe there's a toll-free telephone number the veterans calls to refill a prescription that is then mailed out to him or her. I do not believe the refills are automatically mailed until the prescription expires. The information I've given you needs to be verified by the VA because I'm certainly not an expert on the subject. The only other possibly helpful piece of information I have to offer is that if the prescription is for a narcotic, then the VA mail order pharmacy will ONLY send it to a street address.

Help this helps!

My husband is a vet and gets some of his meds through the VA, everything except OTC meds he buys at the drugstore. He has to call when he needs a refill, and they are mailed to him within a few days. It's an automated call, he just punches in the prescription number. I think if it is a controlled drug, they have a date when it can be refilled and they will reject it if it is too soon.

Timeline: The Search For Celina Cass

http://www.wmur.com/slideshow/news/28703147/detail.html

This is a slideshow timeline of events.

Monday, 9:00pm ~ Celina last seen in home on the computer by parents
Tuesday, 8:00-8:30am ~ Stepfather notices Celina missing from bed
Tuesday, 2:30pm ~ Media is alerted by authorities of Celina's disappearance & announce searches of area
Tuesday ~ Celina's computer seized
Tuesday Night ~ Candlelight vigil
Wednesday Morning ~ Boat searches of Connecticut River
Wednesday ~ CARD called in to assist
Wednesday ~ Cass home & vehicles taped off
Wednesday Afternoon ~ Air & Ground searches called off
Wednesday, 5:00pm ~ Louisa & Wendell Noyes are led out of the house in blanket & taken to the police command center
Wednesday Evening ~ New photos of Celina are released
Wednesday, 8:30pm ~ AAG holds press conference with few new details, but case is being treated as a missing persons case
Thursday Morning ~ Police Command Center moved to West Stewartstown Elementary School
Thursday, 10:30am ~ Press conference with no new details
Thursday, 4:00pm ~ Major Crimes Unit arrives at home
Thursday, 5:30pm ~ FBI Kieran Ramsey states that there are over 100 investigators on the case
Thursday, 6:53pm ~ Call in re: suspicious person in Colebrook near Route 26 & river, several agencies called in, but no one was located

With regards to the timeline, It doesn't state what time she was actually reported missing??? It states that the media was alerted at 2:30pm, but it doesn't state what time LE was alerted...so 11 year old child noticed missing @ 8:30am & Media alerted at 2:30... hopefully LE was alerted MUCH sooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23