Sheri Coleman, sons Garett and Gavin murdered 5-5-09, Columbia, IL. Pt6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I saw that after I made my post. However it surprizes me that she didn't have a will since I know that most financial seminars strongly advise people to have a will regardless of their age, and they hosted a financial course in their home a few months ago IIRC.

Your welcome...that happens to me alllllll the time!! :)

:waitasec: Which really makes me wonder what kind of financial seminar or classes they were holding in their home for their fellow church members!!! Seems if they were giving advice regarding finances, they'd have been DOING the same thing they were telling everyone else to do and I would think that might have been part of it....maybe???

After seeing the documents, and ASSuming they are all legit, the net effect it to make SC a guarantor of the mortgage rather than a true co-borrower on the owned asset.

As you have shown, in any sort of property distribution the actual titling is not necessarily binding. But what we also saw is that until the point the judge got involved and gave SC's family access, CC's family WAS able to assert that SC's family had no right to go in there - and CC's family was keeping SC's family out until the judge told them to knock it off.

So perhaps it was a sort of "ambush" maneuver - whereby CC could take some sort of precipitous action such as, say, kicking her out, filing for divorce, murder her, etc. and he would have a period of time where he would have exclusive control and access to the house, legally enforceable, until such time as SC/her family could figure out what was going on and get in front of a judge.

In the mean time, CC would have the full legal right to do whatever he wanted - throw things out, clean things up, etc. without worry.

You know, this is something my husband mentioned. A guy he used to work with did something like this to his wife. She had to find an attorney (and come up with money to do so) and not much was left. She went out of town to something with her family and came home to find locks changed and the police backed him cause she was not on the house/deed. The man doesn't work with DH anymore and I can't recall how it ended up - I know she either got all the house or all of some property, but, stuff that had meaning to her was long gone.

Started to write this last night I think, but came on today and wanted to catch up with the thread before posting. Welcome to WS! Cool avatar, Nico?

So anyway.... not to sure about any of this stuff, but I'll take a crack at it... my guesses are in green.
One thing I was wondering: What do you think Chris Coleman's lawyers' defense is going to be, based on what we know now (assuming it's all true)?

From what I understand Jose Baez is going for the "attack the science" defense for Kaycee Anthony. I haven't been keeping up with that tragedy, so they may be switching gears. Anyway, it seems to be a common "play" used by defense attorneys.

I wonder how much longer defense lawyers are going to be able to get results with that one though. It just seems to me that it is getting harder and harder to find people who have not been been affected by the miracles of modern medicine and the science behind them. The science of law enforcement is different than the science of medicine, but to my eye it seems like there are more similarities than there are differences and the advances in one lead to advances in the other.

I don't know if other people see it this way, but it seems to me that this would also increase your average person's trust and faith in science. I also think that the experience scientists and prosecutors have with presenting this evidence in ways jurors can relate to is increasing as well. I'd also guess that law enforcement is also much more experienced in effectively collecting this evidence. Which leads another defense tactic of attacking the chain of evidence. (At least that is what I think it is called.) The defense really doesn't stand a chance with that because I'm assuming that MCS did the collecting or monitored it and MCS really is beyond reproach.

How do you think they'll explain the time of death having taken place while Chris admitted he was still in the home?

More of that whole attacking the science song and dance possibly. If not that then attacking the scientist maybe?

I know that it really looked like Dr. Perper was not provided with accurate information when he questioned Dr. Baden's autopsy report , but it did get me to wondering about why Dr. Perper was so quick to take a critical stance. Professional jealousy is a possible explanation. Those doctors often have egos. Maybe I am charmed by Dr. Perper, but I tend to question the motives of some of the "talking heads", but not his.

So I looked into Baden and it really looks like he sold out by testifying for Phil Spector's defense. He claimed to have an "Aha moment" but to me it looks like he pulled something out of his butt and tried to sell it based on his good name. Maybe Dr. Perper feels like Baden sold the soul of science out for a chunk of change, not to mention the fact that his wife was a member of the defense. So I really wouldn't blame Dr. Perper if he did. Based on what I've read, if I would have been a member of that jury, I would have felt like the defense was insulting my intelligence.

But I don't know if that's even something that can be done. Plus, Dr. Baden does have a name and been involved with famous cases like JFK, Martin Luther King, and Sid Viscious.

The "threats" which supposedly were printed out on his OWN computer?

I don't know because I don't know how they determine that, but maybe they will say that it is possible that someone else had access to the computer at JMM.

Chris calling and checking on Sheri and the boys 15 minutes after he left for the gym?

He had a gut feeling maybe... Intuition from working as a professional security guard. But I think that CC would have to testify to that himself, and I believe that that is considered a big no, no.

The neighbors' reports of screaming in the house around 3 am the morning of the murders?

He'd made dinner the night before, there was a bit of romance in the air... This is another one I have no idea about. Maybe question the neighbors and attack their testimony: are they sure it was coming from the Coleman's, if it sounded like someone was in danger why didn't you call someone, were you fully awake etc.

I'm just having a hard time contemplating how on earth a defense will be able to explain all these things away. I'm anxious to hear some of your ideas on how those Margulis brothers plan on explaining all this circumstantial evidence.

They can try to explain things until they are blue in the face, but it doesn't look to me like there is a snowball's chance in h3ll that it is going to get their client off. They only chance that they have would be to plea it out, but I don't think that they would do that, and I don't know if they will even offer it.

And finally, thank you for the wonderful welcome. I'm a full-time graduate student, so I'm not going to be able to post as much as I'd like to, but if I had my way I'd spend at least 12 hours a day on WS!

Thanks, I saw that after I made my post. However it surprizes me that she didn't have a will since I know that most financial seminars strongly advise people to have a will regardless of their age, and they hosted a financial course in their home a few months ago IIRC.

Heeeeeeey... why would CC and Sheri be having seminars in their home if they were preparing for a divorce? I mean that seems like something a happily married couple would do, doesn't it? I wonder if any of the participants noticed any tension between the two?

I also wonder if anyone had noticed that they weren't doing as many things as a couple and when they did were there any indications (body language etc.) that they weren't the happy couple they used to be?

Carp! Well, we can't get to the bottom of this, can we? Those from Illinois, did you guys sit with anyone during a refinance? An escrow officer? Lender? Who notarized the Deed of Trust?

Sorry, have never done a refinance. But, from what others (I know) have said, I think they do go sign things, sit down like on a first.

Regarding the house in Sappinton/Affton that (possibly) was used for CC's affair(s):

* Is it possible that CC would be able to use that house without the neighbors noticing? Doesn't seem likely to me. I wonder if anyone saw him with TL or another woman?

* It makes sense that this would have been a great way for CC to string TL along... fit right in to possible fantasies of having the happy little home with her knight in shining armor...:puke:

* If CC was meeting these women at this house wouldn't that be having an affair on property owned by JM?

* What about electric bills? Would the house still have electric services? Could those be used to show when CC was at the house with TL or another woman?

Thanks IA!

Thanks!

This is just a thought...and call me crazy :crazy: BUT:

Here's a link to Enrico Mirabelli's law firm, Nadler, Pritikin & Mirabelli LLC:

http://www.npmfamlaw.com/biodetail.php?_page=att&id=68

He seems to have a great knowledge of and expertise in family law. If Sheri and CC were really readying for a divorce by quitclaiming the property and all, wouldn't you think that she might contact her cousin who DEALS in family law and who would know precisely how to go about it since he's also familiar with Illinois law, to give her some advice as to how to best go about protecting herself and the boys regarding assets such as the house and maybe even having him represent her? I just don't know if I buy this readying for divorce thing when she has legal advice available to her whenever she'd need it--likely even for free! I'm just not so sure she was thinking anything about divorce back in October when the quitclaim was filed or even up to the date of the murders. To me it just doesn't make logical sense.

If it were me, I'd sure ask my lawyer cousin if I had one before I did something like that if I had the opportunity and if I were pondering divorce to be sure I wasn't going to get screwed in the process. Does that make sense to you?

Started to write this last night I think, but came on today and wanted to catch up with the thread before posting. Welcome to WS! Cool avatar, Nico?

So anyway.... not to sure about any of this stuff, but I'll take a crack at it... my guesses are in green.

If the threats came from a computer at JMM only then I feel that the defense will try to use that to point to someone else making them besides CC.

It is really not that unusual for people in the public eye like JM to receive "threats". Think about it. Why does JM feel the need for 24 hr security for herself and her "compound" unless she felt threatened on a fairly regular basis? There are a lot of nuts in the world these days and I would be willing to bet that JM has heard from her fair share of them thus her need for security. I expect the defense will try to use this to raise "doubts" in people's minds about the origin and target of the threats when it goes to court.

If the threats were written by CC on a JMM computer then I hope that he was stupid enough to also use an outside computer that he could be proven to have had access to that an unknown stranger wouldn't. Computer forensics are pretty good these days so I feel certain that it won't be that hard to prove which computer(s) they came from if that is in fact how they were composed and/or sent.

In the warrants for CC did anyone notice that the Clerk's name is Aaron L. Reitz? The Prosecuting Attorney's name is Kris Reitz, not that it matters, but I wonder if they are related?

(The whole Waterloo thing gets that Abba song playing in my head:genie:)

In the warrants for CC did anyone notice that the Clerk's name is Aaron L. Reitz? The Prosecuting Attorney's name is Kris Reitz, not that it matters, but I wonder if they are related?

(The whole Waterloo thing gets that Abba song playing in my head:genie:)

Yes, Aaron is Kris's father IIRC! :)

He seems to have a great knowledge of and expertise in family law. If Sheri and CC were really readying for a divorce by quitclaiming the property and all, wouldn't you think that she might contact her cousin who DEALS in family law and who would know precisely how to go about it since he's also familiar with Illinois law, to give her some advice as to how to best go about protecting herself and the boys regarding assets such as the house and maybe even having him represent her? I just don't know if I buy this readying for divorce thing when she has legal advice available to her whenever she'd need it--likely even for free! I'm just not so sure she was thinking anything about divorce back in October when the quitclaim was filed or even up to the date of the murders. To me it just doesn't make logical sense.

If it were me, I'd sure ask my lawyer cousin if I had one before I did something like that if I had the opportunity and if I were pondering divorce to be sure I wasn't going to get screwed in the process. Does that make sense to you?

It makes total sense, but we do not know the family dynamics or Sheri. The family has said they had no indication of any problems, Sheri may have not wanted to share this with them yet, to get it clear in her own mind, who knows.

It sounds to me as though the finances in this family were stretched. The extra money on the re-fi could have gone to debts or all sorts of legitimate expense issues. I don't know the particulars of these "missions" but if Sheri was going on one and considering taking her sons, it would have involved some expense. Without knowing what the family running expenses were, it's difficult to determine what was going on, but it sounds to me as though they may have been under financial pressure.

That's a good find! That makes a lot of sense to me! If she didn't want to get her family involved directly in her divorce you'd think she would have asked them for a referral. If Sheri did have a lawyer that she had consulted can that lawyer step forward or would that be breaking attorney client privaledge?

BTW: Its been mentioned before that Sheri's family seems to have a lot of class, and I just couldn't agree more. Did anyone notice the picture of Sheri's brother where his head is kind of tilted to the side and he's standing in between the cousin and one of the lawyers? It looked like he had on of those awareness ribbons on his lapel that was black with white dots, I was wondering if it was for Sheri and the boys.

Here's the link:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/5C31790CCE1C8356862575C2003C090C?OpenDocument

And then someone talked about a memorial for Sheri and the boys... Wouldn't it be great if they could bulldoze that house down and put up a park or a neighborhood rec area?

Do we know anything about Derek? I can't remember who it was, but someone said that he is CC's best friend, and that he lives behind JMM. Does he work for JMM? Will he get canned if he knew anything about CC's affairs?

Also, does anyone know if JMM has her employee's sign a confidentiality agreement, so if they get fired they can't spill the beans on Larry King?

This whole thing could just open a big ol' can of worms!

A police surveillance camera could be an important part of the Coleman murder investigation. The camera is mounted near the water town at the Columbia Lakes subdivision. It is in that subdivision where Sheri Coleman died along with her two sons on May 5th. Sheri's husband, the father of the two boys, has been charged with their murders.

~snip~

The company can't talk about any clues in the Coleman murder investigation. Neither can police. But based on this camera's location it could give exact times on when the suspect and father, Chris Coleman, left the neighborhood, when he returned, or whether anyone else suspicious drove in and out. All pieces that could be crucial to solve the murder of Sheri Coleman and her two kids.

http://www.fox2now.com/ktvi-fox-files-surveillance-camera-coleman-052609,0,2657263.story

My apologies if this article has already been discussed...seems this may have been the tool used to narrow down the time he actually left the area and may have led LE to the 'only suspect.'

It always seems like once I get caught up, everyone has gone to bed...

Anyway, speaking of can of worms... I was wondering if CC was sending his father Ron's church threats and Ron never told anyone can he be taken to court as negligent for not telling the people in his church that their lives were being threatened? If he did step down, it could be just as well with Connie Coleman struggling with her health. I hope she can stay strong for herself.

It makes total sense, but we do not know the family dynamics or Sheri. The family has said they had no indication of any problems, Sheri may have not wanted to share this with them yet, to get it clear in her own mind, who knows.

That may be too...but still...then I would really wonder why she would go ahead with the quitclaim deed in ignorance, for lack of a better word, if there was any real possibility of going into divorce proceedings not knowing whether or not she was signing away her rights to any proceeds. You would think she'd find a way to ask her cousin without having to give away the fact she was entertaining the idea.

It sounds to me as though the finances in this family were stretched. The extra money on the re-fi could have gone to debts or all sorts of legitimate expense issues. I don't know the particulars of these "missions" but if Sheri was going on one and considering taking her sons, it would have involved some expense. Without knowing what the family running expenses were, it's difficult to determine what was going on, but it sounds to me as though they may have been under financial pressure.

It's quite possible their finances may have been stretched but then I would wonder how they would be good candidates to have been teaching a financial class to other church members from their home.

And I'm thinking, Lola, that I heard the pastor of Destiny church say in his sermon the week after the murders that Sheri was raising money for the mission trip to Mexico in July. I don't know the particulars of that church but I know alot of times here the persons that are going on the mission have to do fund raising activities to get funds to go on the missions. And then sometimes the church matches what they raise for mission trips or pay the balance through member contributions that they have designated to mission trips in their weekly offerings.

Just my :twocents: :)

That's a good find! That makes a lot of sense to me! If she didn't want to get her family involved directly in her divorce you'd think she would have asked them for a referral. If Sheri did have a lawyer that she had consulted can that lawyer step forward or would that be breaking attorney client privaledge?

BTW: Its been mentioned before that Sheri's family seems to have a lot of class, and I just couldn't agree more. Did anyone notice the picture of Sheri's brother where his head is kind of tilted to the side and he's standing in between the cousin and one of the lawyers? It looked like he had on of those awareness ribbons on his lapel that was black with white dots, I was wondering if it was for Sheri and the boys.

Here's the link:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/5C31790CCE1C8356862575C2003C090C?OpenDocument

And then someone talked about a memorial for Sheri and the boys... Wouldn't it be great if they could bulldoze that house down and put up a park or a neighborhood rec area?

Yes, that's my thoughts on it too! I don't know if that would break attorney/client privilege or not! Maybe not since it's a murder investigation. Are there any lawyer types out here that could answer that one?

Yes, that was a little black remembrance ribbon on his lapel...they zoomed in on it on one of the news videos and I'm certain it's for Sheri and the boys! I agree...they are handling this with alot of class! He seems like a really great guy with a big heart and I'm sure it was broken even further today when he walked through that house. My thoughts are definitely with him and his family as they find out more about what happened. I'm guessing that the MCS/Columbia police briefed them on the case findings...at least to some extent while they were here too. They mentioned that they were extremely impressed with how they handled the case thusfar.

Lawyers say Sheri Coleman would not have removed her name from deed

<snip>

Six months ago, Sheri Coleman signed a quit claim deed on her house, surrendering her ownership share to her husband.

.......Monroe County property records showed the Colemans' original mortgage filed on March 2, 2005 for $202,269 with Sheri Coleman's name listed on both the deed and the mortgage.

But on Oct. 6, Shari Coleman signed a quit claim deed turning over complete ownership to Christopher Coleman for $10. Records filed with the county show that on the same day, she signed a new mortgage for the same home for $230,850.

........Mortgage experts say sometimes spouses agree to sign off of a deed, but remain on the mortgage after pressure from a bank, if they have bad or weak credit. Additionally, if Chris Coleman died without a will, under Illinois law, his wife would have had a claim to the house, despite having signed off the deed.

On May 11, News-Democrat reporters showed two documents -- Sheri Coleman's voter registration card signed July 25 and the Oct. 6 quit-claim deed -- to handwriting expert Betty Butts, of Kirkwood, Mo.

Butts concluded the signatures were made by the same person.

If JMM doesn't own the home then how does it figure that part of the reason she had him resign was because he was using it to see his mistress? Does this mean he was meeting her in another home that JMM owned perhaps in Florida? Why would the current homeowner allow Chris to use it rent free? I am very confused. :confused:

I thought he 'resigned' because he violated some policy but I don't think it specifically said it was because he was using this house. The home is owned by a married couple with their mailing address being the same as their taxing address - which means it is owner occupied and not a rental. IMO CC has had nothing to do with this house since May 2005.

Exactly!

She signed as the borrower on the re-fi so she's liable for the debt. Her credit was obviously not an issue or she wouldn't have been on the note.

Why on earth would she turn around give up her rights to the property by signing a QCD but still be liable for the debt? That doesn't make any sense at all. A debt that is $28,500 and change more than it was in 2005 when they bought the home.

I do happen to know someone who did this. Of course they did it against everyone's advice and realized their mistake later.

This was a person who wanted out of the marriage. Period. The husband wouldn't hear of divorce papers being filed until she agreed to refi/2nd mortgage to pay-off credit card debts AND she quit claimed the property solely to him. Of course, a year later when she approached him to request he refinance to remove her name because the debt was effecting her ability to obtain credit, he blew her off.............for a few years until it was convenient for HIM to refi............she only found out she'd finally been taken off by a fluke and had me check the county records. He only took her name off because he'd remarried.

Just FWIW,
fran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members