NY - Rashawn Brazell, 19, found dismembered, Brooklyn, 14 Feb 2005 *charges dropped 2023*

" Brooklyn investigators - who initially believed Brazell, 19, was headed for a getaway weekend that day with a male lover he had met on the Internet - said last week they were stumped. "Nothing is going anywhere," said a frustrated NYPD source of the early leads. They have found no lover. Since her son's gruesome death, Desire Brazell has been left with her sorrow and confusion and has focused obsessively - not on the salacious headlines of a secret gay affair but on her son's cell phone. The next morning, she called his friends and the police. Desire Brazell said she didn't know if her son was gay or bisexual and that she doesn't care. She believes his killer was someone he knew well. "A friend killed him, someone he trusted," she said The mom said her foreboding started when she couldn't get through to him the morning he disappeared because his phone was turned off. "It [didn't] make any sense; he lived through his cell phone," she said. Since that Monday, only one call has been made from Brazell's phone, at 7:25 a.m., she said. NYPD investigators declined to comment on Brazell's cell phone log, or whom he spoke to last about the time he walked out of their home, she said. "That was it, there was no other activity," she said. NYPD investigators declined to comment on Brazell's cell phone log, or whom he spoke to last. His mother said the phone has not been recovered.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/archives...se-stumps-cops-article-1.558753#ixzz2uBEyvkua

Hmmmm.

That is from the April article in ny daily news, btw. I know I'm supposed to put the link but it's kinda hard with tapatalk.

He missed the noon lunch date with this mother. This crime happened in the daytime. He would never not return his mothers calls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is horrific and no one knows who the other man was? Except probably the police as they will have the records of who he last spoke to.

Did any of his friends know he was gay? If so I wonder if he told them about someone he was seeing or maybe someone who he was talking to on the internet. It's confusing why no one knows anything more about this other man.

Some friends (unnamed in one ny daily news article) said that he did meet someone on the internet, and was planning on going away for a few days with the person. Valentines fell on a Monday, I would think if they were really were doing a getaway, it would've happened the Friday before. Though Rashawn was unemployed, and therefore flexible. But he would not have scheduled a lunch with his mother, if he was running off.
And he most certainly would've told at least ONE person the details of this supposed getaway--since it's obvious the other person wouldve been footing the bill, and I feel it was an older man, someone pretending to be a sugar daddy perhaps. That's pretty heady stuff for a 19 year old.

I can't believe the NYPD got absolutely nowhere with this????!

And my heart aches for his mom.

Maybe Hulu has the AMW episode. I think they featured this case more than once.

I've been looking at a map and travel directions, trying to work out the area.

Rashawn's Pelvis was dumped at the Rapid Processing plant on Humboldt street, which is like a 10 minute walk from the closest metro entrance.

If the killer killed him the tunnels near or on Nostrand Ave the killer still has a 48 minute journey to dump the Pelvis and that's if he only goes by Subway. 16 minutes of walking to the different stations to make the transfer, 24 minutes traveling on the subway, 8 minutes waiting around. This is only if that was the journey took and if he dumped the pelvis straight after he dumped the limbs on Nostrand. But I still think no matter how you look at it, the suspect was carrying around human remains around Brooklyn, do you think he maybe was prepared for this to happen instead of say an argument that got out of hand? It sounds like premeditated murder where this man must have had a sound plan and knew what he was going to do and how to do it, this person knew what he was going to do to Rashawn that day before he even woke up.

Why would someone go to this effort to kill someone in a horrific way then manage to travel around Brooklyn dumping off different parts of the body, at a massive risk of been caught? What motive could someone have to go to that length? Serial killer doesn't seem that far out.

I've wrote and rewrote this and I'm sorry if it makes no sense.

Initially I thought the person drove to the recycling plant but later concluded the torso was tossed into a dumpster (a recycle one as opposed to plain garbage), and made its way to the recycling center the regular way---though this is probably dangerous assumption, as this person is clearly capable of anything. If he did take the journey on foot--and I dont doubt it, as he may have taken enjoyment in the brass of such an act--than he wouldve been on surveillance footage at the recycling plant as well.

Also, a trash bag in a recycle bin would attract attention b/c generally people are cheap and would not waste a trash bag for recyclables (I know I dont, I use boxes or plastic grocery bags), which is probably how the torso got discovered in the first place. A few years back, a notice was left on my recycle dumpster because I didnt know any better and would sometimes put regular trash in there. Recyclable stuff gets examined, unlike regular trash. So the killer slipped up there. The head, however, was either kept as a sick memorablilia or put into a regular dumpster where it successfully and permanently vanished underneath tons of NYC trash dumped daily.

ETA: NYC apparently has "recycle bags", whatever that means. The bag in the subway containing the body parts was a "recyclable bag". so my theory of the trash bag is meaningless I guess. Did the killer want the torso to be discovered???

The daily news reported that the cuts were clean, and the person likely has anatomical knowledge.
http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/link-new-bit-flesh-subway-body-parts-article-1.599831
Though I saw another article that said the police had discounted that theory. I wonder why?

But yes, Im inclined to think this was premeditated.

Sure, things happen and there couldve been an altercation and the person couldve freaked out thinking this is the best way to cover up their crime. I dont believe that though.......there was just WAY too much effort put into this. I cant believe this was a first for the killer.

There was also another rumor that the police were looking to question an older neighbor who rented a room around the corner, who may have had a relationship with Rashawn, but that the man disappeared and may have moved down south.
http://nypost.com/2006/03/20/gay-beau-sought-in-body-chop-slay/

However nothing came of it....

This case is shady as hell. I believe this is a serial killer deal. It seems related to that Latino man no one could identify. His poor mother. I do remember reading an article that said Rashawn was very careful to compartmentalize parts of his life. For someone so loved, not a lot is known about him. Did police investigate his computer?

Ugh. What a horrifying story! So little information. Why so little info?

I do not think that the dismemberment happened in the tunnels, or where any parts were found. There was some other crime scene where nothing could be seen or heard. The parts were then taken to different areas.

I do not think this is someone's first kill either.

Just cannot believe there is so little info about it, unless LE was keeping it close in case they did catch the killer. Are there any similar cases in that area or surrounding area?

Some guy in BK dismembered his wife/girlfriend with a chainsaw; they speculated about a connection but concluded that it was unrelated.

ALSO some years before, a bag of body parts--a dismembered young lady--was found in that SAME subway line. The police wouldn't comment on any possible connection, not that I could see.

The only MSM came from the Post or Daily News--both tabloids. The coverage is so sensationalistic and shoddy, it's frustrating. :( That's why we need Terik's documentary to come out. It seems to be informative and well done. I failed to find any of the AMW episodes. I did email Hulu, they don't have licensing for any AMW. They "may" get it in the future. But even then, there are thousands of episodes and they won't get them all.

I've come across a 2010 article (not from the Post, thank God), that states several things I hadn't heard before. Now I'm confused about whether the tool bag was connected to the crime or not; I thought I'd read that the nypd concluded that it wasn't. I know this isn't MSM but we've so little data to work with concerning Rashawns case.....and this raises some interesting points.

The killer had carefully traced the body with a sharp instrument before cutting it apart with an electric chain saw. Every cut was clean and on a joint, indicating the killer had a knowledge of human anatomy.

The medical examiner believes Rashawn was kept alive for two days before he was killed, dismembered and disposed of in the trash bags. The autopsy report shows cuts and stab wounds to the side of Rashawn's torso, indicating there may have been some kind of a struggle.

Cops believe the killer may have been a transit worker. "The killer or killers knew the layout," said NYPD Det. Anthony Baker. "These tracks are two flights down, which leads me to believe they had some knowledge of the tracks, because nobody really goes to the unknown to dispose of something like that unless they have been there before."

http://thefutureforward.blogspot.com/2010/08/rashawn-brazell-killer-still-at-large.html

".......may have been a transit worker......". Well that would narrow the field dramatically.

A transit worker with medical knowledge. THAT really narrows the field, unless the killer has been watching youtube vids.

hhmmmmm.........def LE needs to go thru his computer and see who stopped communicating with Rashawn after that day in Feb.
I dont think a transit worker really----arent alot of subway and train plans and schematics able to be found thru the library? Or the Museum of the City of NY, or the Transit Museum??
And maybe not just human anatomy but anatomy in general---a butcher, vet,

I want to say this is random, but maybe not. Maybe it is a serial killer. But then again, I think it could have been one of his friends. Someone once said Rashawn compartmentalized his friends. To me, that is never a good sign. His poor mom.

February marks 10 years since the Rashawn Brazell killing. The latest media coverage was in the early fall in NYC. Here is the story with video, including reference to the documentary:

http://pix11.com/2014/09/16/murder-...-was-found-in-subway-tunnel-remains-unsolved/

I am in NYC and I know Terik King, who has been working on the documentary ALONE with no backing. It will be out this year. A lot of questions will be answered, but not ALL of them. There will be much to talk about.

^^^Great update, I am really looking forward to this documentary. Its been in the works for quite some time. I wonder how much backing a documentary needs?? Seem like he couldve gotten donations or something. People get donations for the most arbitrary and random causes these days, certainly you coukd get some for a worthwhile cause such as this. The preview was very compelling, Terik is very talented.

February marks 10 years since the Rashawn Brazell killing. The latest media coverage was in the early fall in NYC. Here is the story with video, including reference to the documentary:

http://pix11.com/2014/09/16/murder-...-was-found-in-subway-tunnel-remains-unsolved/

I am in NYC and I know Terik King, who has been working on the documentary ALONE with no backing. It will be out this year. A lot of questions will be answered, but not ALL of them. There will be much to talk about.

This article was carelessly written. While I havent researched the case in quite some time, I recall that the blood on the tools didnt match Rashawn's. And also, he was last seen descending into the Nostrand ave station, not Gates ave.

This is new though (and very disturbing):

"There is a scholarship fund in Rashawn’s name, and King said the man who runs it got a taunting message one year that almost sounds like a confession from the unknown killer.

“The tone of it was, ‘He wasn’t an angel, this happened, I’m sorry, I paid someone to do it,” King told PIX11. “We keep getting these cryptic hints every year, around his birthday.”

Seriously????

I am not surprised at all though. I think the primary detective said he was gettig letters from the killer at one point(???). Also, the meticulous nature of the killing begs recognition. The killer is proud of his skill, viciousness, and impunity. Its predictable that he would taunt; couldnt resist the urge. But he's stayed far far back in the shadows.

This is a horrific case that definitely needs MUCH more attention than it has received!

This article was carelessly written. While I havent researched the case in quite some time, I recall that the blood on the tools didnt match Rashawn's. And also, he was last seen descending into the Nostrand ave station, not Gates ave.

This is new though (and very disturbing):

"There is a scholarship fund in Rashawn’s name, and King said the man who runs it got a taunting message one year that almost sounds like a confession from the unknown killer.

“The tone of it was, ‘He wasn’t an angel, this happened, I’m sorry, I paid someone to do it,” King told PIX11. “We keep getting these cryptic hints every year, around his birthday.”

Seriously????

I am not surprised at all though. I think the primary detective said he was gettig letters from the killer at one point(???). Also, the meticulous nature of the killing begs recognition. The killer is proud of his skill, viciousness, and impunity. Its predictable that he would taunt; couldnt resist the urge. But he's stayed far far back in the shadows.

I'd read this thread several times before but now that I see there were taunting letters/phone calls, this sounds very similar to an unsolved cold case in my hometown. The victims name is Samuel Lottery. Also a young black male from a loving family, close with his parents. The murderer sent taunting letters to the victims' family home & place of worship. There is a thread for Samuel if anyone is interested.

Thanks, white rhino. Do you think there is a connection?

Jeffery Dahmer and John Gacy use to prey on young guys. This may be a serial killer or the person lives and his mothers basement and had to cut up the body to dump it 2 bags at a time. But obviously they dont care or they didnt know that the recyclables get sorted at the plants.

Thanks, white rhino. Do you think there is a connection?

No problem! I really don't know. It's hard to know if Samuel was dismembered but whoever killed Rashawn didn't try to conceal his body either.

In both cases the killer is said to be someone close to the victim which makes me wonder... What type of person could be close enough to these victims to literally get physically close enough to kill them but at the same time be so disconnected/full of rage that they leave the body basically on display?

All I can think of is Luka Magnotta & how he managed to meet ppl online. I'm not saying he did this at all but he is from Scarborough & spent time in NYC & he also dismembered Jun Lin. Again, not saying any of these things are connected. My point is that LRM & Jun Lin were not that close yet look what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back