WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #20

There are two business, well, three around the shaded area which is called Methow street. There is a bank (Cashmere valley) which has parking in that area, a massage therapy practice in an old house, and an insurance agency. If he waited until dark, went out the back of the building (Methow street) and put her in his car, I doubt he would be seen. Remember, this was in February so it was getting dark early.
The Plaza is across the street from the main door on Okanogan street. There are some shrubs that are in the shaded area of the photo that would probably block the view from the Plaza. If I remember correctly, the parking area on Methow street is lower than Okanogan street, so that would make it more difficult. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow to help explain it better.

I'm not sure if the Plaza is still open 24/7.

Here is a Googled map of the BH/AHD & Orondo boat launch. The yellow arrow is the BH, the black arrow is the courthouse, the blue arrow is the academy of hair design and the red arrow is the Orondo street boat launch. As you can see, it's almost a straight shot for Mac to go from the Academy to the BH and to the boat launch...almost a triangle.
soozb4

Attachments

• city map.bmp
    708.2 KB · Views: 68
Front of the BH from the Plaza Super Jet parking lot. This faces Okanogan street. CW apartment on the right and back side.

Attachments

• BH Front.jpg
    BH Front.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 52
This is the back of the BH. CW's room is the one on the lower left with the window shade open. The second picture is a door at was cut off at the end of the last picture. If you make a sharp left, you'll go right into the "shaded" area in the original googled picture that was posted a few days ago. You can see the top of CW's window. This is taken from the Methow street side.

Attachments

• BH Back1.jpg
    BH Back1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 54
  • BH Back2.jpg
    BH Back2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 45
This is the shadowed parking lot. There is an additional door on this side, and a couple of rolling doors. I'm not sure if this is for winter parking of boats, etc or what they're used for. But there are two actual doors that lead from the back and side of this building, both within a few feet of each other.

Attachments

• BH Shadowed lot.jpg
    BH Shadowed lot.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 53
It looks like they've cleaned out the bushes around that other parking lot. I don't know when they did that, so the original "hedge" type shrubs could have been there in February. This is looking at the Plaza from the parking lot and then looking at the parking lot from the Plaza. I still think someone could have gone unnoticed out the side door since that BH lot is lower than the street. You can't see the first few cars in photo 1 in photo 2.

Attachments

• missing shrubs.jpg
    missing shrubs.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 46
  • missing shrubs2.jpg
    missing shrubs2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 44
The bail bonds place is tucked in the very corner of the shaded lot. I'm not sure how long this business has been there. And the second picture is our courthouse from the BH parking lot.

Attachments

• bail bonds.jpg
    bail bonds.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 35
  • courthouse.jpg
    courthouse.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 33
:waitasec:I just tried to post this..I screwed up somehow. I know there is a strong suspect " CW" for the murder of Mack. But remember in the beginng it was said that there was evidence at the spec house and also at CB house. I thought it was inside...ok and then someone tipped LE about the turnout at CB. ( I thought they found something)???? So doesn't that mean that someone else knows what happened? I mean that isn't just saying CW is weird and you should check him out. He wouldn't call in a tip on himself. This probably doesn't make sense. lol

I've been thinking the same thing 2Shy. And the open house where something gruesome was found. I've heard that story from several in the community who know the woman showing the house that day. I think, too, that the broken glass in the police report was supposed to be from the spec house. IMO he had help in some way...either before or after the fact.

I've been thinking the same thing 2Shy. And the open house where something gruesome was found. I've heard that story from several in the community who know the woman showing the house that day. I think, too, that the broken glass in the police report was supposed to be from the spec house. IMO he had help in some way...either before or after the fact.

Thanks, I thought I was losing it. The glass has bugged me alot. Didn't they mentioned that after the second car search??? I can't remember... I still sort of think they knew something was really wrong when they found the car. Just my opinion...

Thanks so much, Soozb4, for you pics. They will help those who aren't familiar with our area to get a better idea as to what the layout is. I wondered who the tipster was also. Someone who helped or knew about the crime?

:waitasec:I just tried to post this..I screwed up somehow. I know there is a strong suspect " CW" for the murder of Mack. But remember in the beginng it was said that there was evidence at the spec house and also at CB house. I thought it was inside...ok and then someone tipped LE about the turnout at CB. ( I thought they found something)???? So doesn't that mean that someone else knows what happened? I mean that isn't just saying CW is weird and you should check him out. He wouldn't call in a tip on himself. This probably doesn't make sense. lol

Do you have link to a media story please to support anything being taken by LE from the spec house? I can't recall any mention of that other than local rumors, which don't count here...her car and the fact they did go into the CB residence plus all around it was reported on or backed up by publicly available copies of warrants.

TIA

Thanks so much, Soozb4, for you pics. They will help those who aren't familiar with our area to get a better idea as to what the layout is. I wondered who the tipster was also. Someone who helped or knew about the crime?

Seems whatever they did or didn't actually find at the turnout/switchback was a dead end, at least from this story.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/may/18/cowell-team-checks-fresh-tip/?online

But IIRC, there was a news conference in which an investigator or spokesperson stated it would have pointed them at a specific person or persons? My sense is it was a dead end, IF they found anything.

Can't personally imagine anybody with any actual involvement would have been stupid enough to make that call.

Will have to dig to see if I can find that video and post a link. Do recall it was a bit more info than is here, even if a slip if the tongue.

Sort of like the press conference where they would only say that the piece of duct tape was found "near" Mac's body, then turned around and offered up that it was on the "drag trail." Not just on the "trail" above where she was found, but the drag trail.

Ditto on thanks to Soozb4 for the photos. Ground level from the neighborhood does help!

ETA: I'm not sure if this was the original video I was thinking of, but still very insightful. Per reporter, police DID find something, but won't say what. It did send them to speak to at least 3 or 4 people. At that time, LE stated there was no apparent link to the Academy (referred to as beauty school here) or its customers. We now know that was a premature "exclusion" even if only a "soft exclusion."

That was on June 18.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/96694164.html?tab=video

By the way, if you also go to kxly.com and search "Mackenzie Cowell" there are a number of interesting videos related to this case.

Do you have link to a media story please to support anything being taken by LE from the spec house? I can't recall any mention of that other than local rumors, which don't count here...her car and the fact they did go into the CB residence plus all around it was reported on or backed up by publicly available copies of warrants.

TIA

I see where you are going with this. Those may have been rumors. It may have totally come from here. I can look at the WW articles and see what I can find but how do you link it if you can find it??? :banghead:

Seems whatever they did or didn't actually find at the turnout/switchback was a dead end, at least from this story.

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/may/18/cowell-team-checks-fresh-tip/?online

But IIRC, there was a news conference in which an investigator or spokesperson stated it would have pointed them at a specific person or persons? My sense is it was a dead end, IF they found anything.

Can't personally imagine anybody with any actual involvement would have been stupid enough to make that call.

Will have to dig to see if I can find that video and post a link. Do recall it was a bit more info than is here, even if a slip if the tongue.

Sort of like the press conference where they would only say that the piece of duct tape was found "near" Mac's body, then turned around and offered up that it was on the "drag trail." Not just on the "trail" above where she was found, but the drag trail.

Ditto on thanks to Soozb4 for the photos. Ground level from the neighborhood does help!

ETA: I'm not sure if this was the original video I was thinking of, but still very insightful. Per reporter, police DID find something, but won't say what. It did send them to speak to at least 3 or 4 people. At that time, LE stated there was no apparent link to the Academy (referred to as beauty school here) or its customers. We now know that was a premature "exclusion" even if only a "soft exclusion."

That was on June 18.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/96694164.html?tab=video

By the way, if you also go to kxly.com and search "Mackenzie Cowell" there are a number of interesting videos related to this case.

In one of those WW articles it said they were searching the turnout with metal detectors but I don't know how to put it on the web. It was dated 5/18/2010 and is in the hot topics section of WW.

In one of those WW articles it said they were searching the turnout with metal detectors but I don't know how to put it on the web. It was dated 5/18/2010 and is in the hot topics section of WW.

O/T 2Shy - when you call the article up to read it, place your cursor over the http:// address. For me, when I move my cursor to that location, the whole title will be highlighted. If that doesn't happen for you, then just highlight the http address, hit cntrol C, go to where you want to paste the link and hit cntrol V and the link will be there.

The link will not be active until you submit your post. So finish saying whatever you were saying, submit your post and the link should appear. Click the link to see if it worked.

Have fun :)

Salem

I apologize if this already has been posted ... the arrest warrant from Oct 6:

http://www.kirotv.com/download/2010/1007/25316982.pdf

Attempt to amputate arm: confirmed. There were 'rumors' early on.

Also claimed is CW has a possible obsession with death or dead bodies. CW has worked at one or more funeral homes in Wenatchee.

Also indicates CW left the beauty school around the same time as MC .. this is why the parking lot video was important:

if you look at the upper right of the video just as it begins you will see a vehicle backing out of a parking space and leaving the parking lot just as MC begins walking in to the frame at the middle left. I suspect that is CW. CW sold the vehicle, it was tracked to Spokane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbDnbCoroR8

I wonder if the alleged / rumored car wash citing included an unidentified CW in MC's vehicle?

Unknown if broken glass was found at either of CW's dwellings. Not likely, as the carpet was cleaned. Also interesting: the warrant indicates blood was found to have soaked through the carpet, to the "concrete". This indicates MC was mudered in the 404 S. Chelan basement apartment, not at the larger apartment.

The business at that address has a FB page.

One of the (3) favorited pages selected by whomever manages their FB page: "Jet Pro Auto Wash". Just an interesting fact, no relation to the case.

The FB page also indicates (9) photo albums ... but only (4) are displayed. Since CW's parents own the business I wonder if the other photo albums were pulled because they included pics of CW?

By the way, no mention on that FB page of this case nor of the police presence at the location nor of the arrest.

I apologize if this already has been posted ... the arrest warrant from Oct 6:

http://www.kirotv.com/download/2010/1007/25316982.pdf

Attempt to amputate arm: confirmed. There were 'rumors' early on.

Also claimed is CW has a possible obsession with death or dead bodies. CW has worked at one or more funeral homes in Wenatchee.

Also indicates CW left the beauty school around the same time as MC .. this is why the parking lot video was important:

if you look at the upper right of the video just as it begins you will see a vehicle backing out of a parking space and leaving the parking lot just as MC begins walking in to the frame at the middle left. I suspect that is CW. CW sold the vehicle, it was tracked to Spokane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbDnbCoroR8

I wonder if the alleged / rumored car wash citing included an unidentified CW in MC's vehicle?

Unknown if broken glass was found at either of CW's dwellings. Not likely, as the carpet was cleaned. Also interesting: the warrant indicates blood was found to have soaked through the carpet, to the "concrete". This indicates MC was mudered in the 404 S. Chelan basement apartment, not at the larger apartment.

The business at that address has a FB page.

One of the (3) favorited pages selected by whomever manages their FB page: "Jet Pro Auto Wash". Just an interesting fact, no relation to the case.

The FB page also indicates (9) photo albums ... but only (4) are displayed. Since CW's parents own the business I wonder if the other photo albums were pulled because they included pics of CW?

By the way, no mention on that FB page of this case nor of the police presence at the location nor of the arrest.

BBM

CW was not a suspect yet, nor had his residences been searched when Mac's car was searched and processed, so the glass shards found in it (from a LOI) would not likely have come from any place CW lived, at least if LE knew for fact at the time where they did come from, which it seems they did, since was narrowed down to having come from a kitchen counter.

Occurs to me that the glass might also have come from the Academy, if it has a "kitchen" (or glorified break room, any locals know??), as the Academy would certainly have been a location of interest early on, being the last place she was seen. The glass could be completely unrelated to the murder or have no ultimate significance at all.

Please explain the thought press behind how Mac was murdered in the basement apartment on Chelan when the pool of blood DNA matched to her was found in the studio apartment on Okanogan? I'm a little lost on that.

Unless she was killed in the basement, immediately moved (still daylight and with businesses open) over to the Okanogan studio before she would have stopped bleeding, and left there for enough blood to accumulate to consider a "significant amount" as it was the Okanogan address where the soaked-thru blood with DNS match was found.

Then still had time to drive Mac's car up to Pitcher Canyon and be seen walking back potentially as early as 4:30pm? (ID won't hold up in court, but making presumption it was indeed CW seen walking).

Tough, but not impossible.

Also was mentioned by LE in the press conference that CW usually walked to work. Since it was only a couple blocks from either of those apartments to the Academy, and LE also talked about the 3 or 4 males that walked thru the lot after Mac did. One of which was probably CW, but since video quality is not good, they could not positively ID any of them as CW. But IIRC, they do know that he departed the Academy shortly after she did.

Of course we still await results on the blood spatter/contact on the walls of the stairway from the basement apartment on Chelan to see if that somehow is also Mac's but at this point I'm doubting all that moving around going on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back