2012.02.07 - 911 Tapes Released

The social worker is very lucky to be alive today. Period! This man was evil!!

For anyone who thinks you know exactly what you would do in any & every given scenario...i am here to tell you that, IMO (and experience), you are probably wrong. Dangerous events occur so fluidly and don't follow a script, and IMO it's impossible to know how you will react when stress, stamina, survival mode, and the safety of others all encompass your mind and being at once. What happens in your individual "crisis mode" is, well, very individual.

ETA: Did I post my own post twice? Huh, weird, never done that before...sorry, but... I am feeling it was meant to be, so I am going to leave it!

Are you being scarcastic about posting her name? :dunno:

I provided a link to the description of her 911 call since some people were afraid to open the files. So I really don't understand what you are trying to imply here.

Very true in this case, but in other cases.. effective 911 call and response time could save a life.

I agree with you on that. I heard a 911 call from a potential murder victim, where she said nothing because she was hiding from the perp who had broken into her home. Since she said nothing, the 911 operator hung up and did not bother to send police or to call the victim back, which was supposedly protocol. On the call you could hear the person breaking in. So, I do agree that 911 operators needs to be very astute and consider all possibilities of what a situation might be.

In this situation when the SW said two little boys had been let into the home and the door then slammed shut and locked, I think the protocol for getting info like "what is he wearing?" should have been set aside to make way for more pertinent questions to be asked. The SW was clearly in shock but would have been more forthcoming had she been prompted with the right questions. However, I still think it would not have saved Charlie and Braden, as this horror went down too quickly for an effective response by anyone.

I PRAY those little ones were crying only to go home, and not out of fear of what was to come.

I am so tired of the second guessing of this poor woman. I just wish that posters would just STOP! None of us were there, so I don't see how judging her for her actions is right. Clearly, she knew these boys were in danger and she tried to tell the 9-11 dispatcher this, but he just seemed indifferent to what she was saying. This is not her fault, she did the best she could under the circumstances. She knew something was seriously wrong, and she acted on it. She is another victim of Josh Powell.

My_Tee_Mouse, thank you for your wonderful post. And thank you for doing a job that often goes unappreciated. (((Hugs)))

Mods, thank you for all of your hard work!

This has to be one of the most devastating cases I've ever followed. I haven't been able to sleep for longer than 45 minutes at night since this happened. I can't imagine how the social worker is faring.

JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

How frustrating, she was telling him this is a life threatening situation good grief

It doesn't appear that that first 911 call was considered an emergency. It is very frustrating since we all know what had happened since then.

People might want to listen to #7 first and then go back to #1 and listen from that point forward. It might make things a bit easier to understand.

And the make, model and color of her car. Oh, and her license plate #.

I really think all of that should have been redacted.

I also wasn't impressed with the 911 operators.

BBM

Neither was I.
They were snippish, short, curt, and quite frankly, bordering on ignorant.

The only one that impressed me was the one who was talking to JP's sister. She was helpful & put things together.

Call #7, the male operator seems so high & mighty. Like he was just making the contracted social worker repeat herself multiple times & talk in circles before realizing what is really going on. Then he pulls himself back into the conversation, acting as if he understands & wants to know all the details of supervised visitation. What is JP wearing, hair color, height, weight, age....etc. Oh I was just dying on the inside listening.

Social Worker: "How long will it be?"
911 Operator: "I don't know ma'am. They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first."

:(

I hope & pray that call #7 from the link provided by ynotdivein is used by whatever county/city 911 call center as a way to NOT handle a call.

911 Operator: "I don't know ma'am. They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first."

That is just WAY out of line, IMO. He made a horrible mistake because now that the whole world gets to hear him, he'll probably lose his job.

It doesn't appear that that first 911 call was considered an emergency. It is very frustrating since we all know what had happened since then.

Might you agree that this really was the unthinkable? Don't forget, no matter how you slice it, you are 'monday morning quarterbacking' the situation.

That is just WAY out of line, IMO. He made a horrible mistake because now that the whole world gets to hear him, he'll probably lose his job.

IA he made a horrible mistake and will probably lose his job over that!! I felt terrible listening to the desperation in her voice, for him to only poo-poo her concerns away!! :(

Also the woman who was talking to his sister kept asking for JP's address, she kept saying she didn't know it, the 911 operator sounded like she wanted her to go over there to tell her where he lived!!! They should never send anyone into a possibly dangerous situation!!

I think they will learn many lessons from this tragic event :(

BBM

Neither was I.
They were snippish, short, curt, and quite frankly, bordering on ignorant.

The only one that impressed me was the one who was talking to JP's sister. She was helpful & put things together.

Call #7, the male operator seems so high & mighty. Like he was just making the contracted social worker repeat herself multiple times & talk in circles before realizing what is really going on. Then he pulls himself back into the conversation, acting as if he understands & wants to know all the details of supervised visitation. What is JP wearing, hair color, height, weight, age....etc. Oh I was just dying on the inside listening.

Social Worker: "How long will it be?"

:(

I hope & pray that call #7 from the link provided by ynotdivein is used by whatever county/city 911 call center as a way to NOT handle a call.

To get myself in my happy place I imagine that guys supervisor calling him in on his day off. She tells him you know how we tell you we will listen into your calls at anytime to see how you are doing? He says yes. She says well the whole world is listening to this call and you are not getting good reviews.

I cant listen. This unspeakable horror, its too much for me to take on right now. I was in enough pain when I thought the wee darlings died quickly without knowing... this is too much.

*SOB*

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ict-Josh-Powells-chilling-acts.html?s_cid=s10

'In the 911 call, <modsnip> anxiously asks the dispatcher how long it will take for police to arrive.

"They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first," the dispatcher responds.

"Well this could be life threatening. He went to court on Wednesday and he didn't get his kids back, and I'm afraid for their lives," <modsnip> says.

She tells dispatchers the children got just a step ahead of her, and when she got to the door, he "shut it in my face. ... He looked right at me and closed the door."

<modsnip>said she knocked and rang the doorbell several times and "begged him to let me in." She then got into her car and backed it out of the driveway because she could smell gasoline. She can be heard in the recording explaining that Powell was part of a high profile case. She said the children were inside the house for about 10 minutes.'

Much more at link

I am so tired of the second guessing of this poor woman. I just wish that posters would just STOP! None of us were there, so I don't see how judging her for her actions is right. Clearly, she knew these boys were in danger and she tried to tell the 9-11 dispatcher this, but he just seemed indifferent to what she was saying. This is not her fault, she did the best she could under the circumstances. She knew something was seriously wrong, and she acted on it. She is another victim of Josh Powell.

My_Tee_Mouse, thank you for your wonderful post. And thank you for doing a job that often goes unappreciated. (((Hugs)))

Mods, thank you for all of your hard work!

This has to be one of the most devastating cases I've ever followed. I haven't been able to sleep for longer than 45 minutes at night since this happened. I can't imagine how the social worker is faring.

JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.
No one is bashing this poor woman. I certainly am not. I feel very awful for her. We are examining failures of a broken system in hopes that there will be no future Charlie's and Braden's. New laws must be in place to prevent any POI in a murder case from having home visitation privileges. This poor woman should have never been placed in that dangerous situation. It is not her fault. The WA State system failed Charlie and Braden, and it also failed it's employee by sending her to the home in the first place, and by also not having her as a crisis worker SOLIDLY trained in emergency activation protocol, as all cases workers should be. It is a dangerous business.

Somewhat OT: Thanks to the Mods for keeping this discussion OT.

Entirely OT: tezi, wishing you well :)

Last thought: I hope the caseworker is receiving lots of support from those who would provide it to her...family, friends, co-workers and more.

bt/dt

Somewhat OT: Thanks to the Mods for keeping this discussion OT.

Entirely OT: tezi, wishing you well :)

Last thought: I hope the caseworker is receiving lots of support from those who would provide it to her...family, friends, co-workers and more.

bt/dt

Thank you shana.

Thank you again mods. I know your job has been tough the last few days. Please take time to breathe!

No one is bashing this poor woman. I certainly am not. I feel very awful for her. We are examining failures of a broken system in hopes that there will be no future Charlie's and Braden's. New laws must be in place to prevent any POI in a murder case from having home visitation privileges. This poor woman should have never been placed in that dangerous situation. It is not her fault. The WA State system failed Charlie and Braden, and it also failed it's employee by sending her to the home the first place, and by also not having her as a crisis worker SOLIDLY trained in emergency activation protocol, as all cases workers should be. It is a dangerous business.

RBBM: There were posters that were bashing this woman, since the first thread about the explosion. I am sorry if you thought I was implying that you were, because I wasn't. I understand

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back