GUILTY CA - Emma Barker, 18 mos, suffocated, Lancaster, 18 March 2009 #2

To clarify - if SP doesn't make a deal, the trial will go on - most likely in April.

This is the jist I'm getting from the posts.

Best,

Mel

stephaniestone -

Your comment made me think of my own daughter. When I was growing up, I didn't have the nicest parents. When I became pregnant, I was suddenly a rock star in their eyes and they were just crazy about my daughter. I had a number of friends ask me if it bothered me that they paid so much attention to my daughter after the way they treated me. I said no, because I was just happy that she was so loved. Once I had her, they went back to treating me like crap but treated her like gold. But I never felt bad about that. As long as they were good to my daughter and adored her, that is what mattered to me. My daughter was pretty much the center of everyone's universe (only grandchild on both sides) and that's how it should be IMO.

Sorry for rambling. I hope that made some sense.

you guys are making my bio clock tick (is that possible for a guy?) cut it out :(

To clarify - if SP doesn't make a deal, the trial will go on - most likely in April.

This is the jest I'm getting from the posts.

Best, Mel

There was another pre-trial hearing in the Stacey Barker murder case, on Monday, March 8, 2010.
Public Defender Roberto Dager tells the court he wants to trail the hearing again until 3/22. "Adding that's 14 of 30." Judge Zackey said, "What is it you want to come back for on that date? I don't want to keep bringing Ms. Barker back and forth if I don't have to. "

PD Dager and Deputy District Attorney S. Kelly Cromer huddled together talking and then Dager said "We are going to put an offer on the table." Zackey said, "Okay, we will come back on the 22nd, (of March!) that will give the lead Deputy time to review it. If we go to trial, we can still start by April 5, that will give Ms. Cromer time to do her other case." Kelly Cromer said she expected that case to be resolved quickly.

March 22,2010
NO DEAL OFFERED TODAY, I don't think it was what Cromer wanted because they were trying to debate something with each other in the Jury seating box...

PD wants the PHONE EVIDENCE from the jail to be transcribed with names of who it is saying what...

PD was asking for 3/29 return but Judge Z said they might need more time to transcribe it so it would be on (APRIL) the 12th.

The last hearing was April 29 - no deal mentioned on the record again. No date set. Judge Z went on record to the PD to get this moving, twice in the same hearing!.

4/12: Judge Z was waiting to hear "the date" - PD told the family "you don't wait she won't be seeing the judge today - I just need her signature??!!" Umm excuse me; we need guards, a bus, driver and multiple others to sit around and wait for yo
ur client (WHO ALREADY CONFESSED TO THE LASD) to sign a piece of paper??? Go to her yourself... STOP THE GAMES!!!

The PD is dragging his feet. He was offered a deal Sept. 2009 that they turned down. He was offered the same deal - in March and the whole month of APRIL, the deal that he is no longer wanting to discuss out loud, because the state is "only" offering 15 to Life - (rather than the 25 to Life we originally heard the state was asking for. )

13 mos out the PD still needs to interview witnesses?? Huh? And there is still a question relating to discovery? What is he saving this for retrial??

We know Emma had no allergy leading up to her death - we know Emma had a double dose of Dimetapp on board at the TOD. We know Stacey drove to Lawndale (not the park as she told her family) - we know she returned to the AV and left Emma's body along side the freeway. We know she faked an assault on herself and lied about a kidnapping. All this we know from either her taped confession or from the ME.

(Per KTLA News) The DA's office filed charges of murder, assault on a child causing death and child abuse. The complaint alleges "that the defendant willfully caused and permitted the child to be injured and harmed and that injury resulted in death. Coroner's officials have not yet issued a final report on how the girl died but sheriff's detectives suspect she was suffocated, a Sheriff's Department spokesman. Detectives believe that … based on interviews and the condition of the victim that she likely suffocated," Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore said."

The state doesn't think this was premeditated - (or doesn't think it can be proved) But they are also said to know her motive... Does a motive not indicate pre-meditation?

Motive: (Dictionary.com)
"the goal or object of a person's actions: Her motive was revenge"

"An emotion, desire, physiological need, or similar impulse that acts as an incitement to action."

Also I forgot something really important......she told the Det that she did it because she didn't want Emma to turn out like her, knocked up early and living at home with the parents!

I don't like my life, I don't want Emma to have the same sucky life, I took Emma's life.

Lying about where they were going - a double dose of antihistamine - dumping her baby along the FWY and lying about a fake assault and kidnapping - this all screams to me that the act was planned... not to mention the ugly coping after Emma's death (going to bars) or her MySpace scribble about God needing babies in his garden days after Emma's funeral.

I would love to be the one who argues that it sure as hell sounds premeditated to me!!! As far as former friends of sb - there is another co worker who said Barker told them not to judge KC Anthony, way before Emma was "kidnapped"!!

The following was an onlookers account of the sworn testimony of Det Nava of LASD she interviewed sb on 3/19 after sb was seen at the Emergency room and discharged.:

Emma is getting restless at the length of the drive, SB gives her a purse to play with and it has an empty zip lock baggy in it and Emma puts it in her mouth SB notices it and starts to play peek a boo with beautiful Emma putting a blanket over her face,

while the baggy is still in her mouth, she put her hand over Emma's mouth and nose and held it there for 2 to 3 mins, Emma was trying to get sb's (B!tches) hand off her face pulling at her arm with one hand at first then struggling pulling at her arm with both hands. then EMMA'S LITTLE HANDS JUST FELL ,

she removed the blanket and Emma's head is slumped to the side and the baggy is still in her mouth, she drives another 45 mins with Emma dead with the baggy in her mouth, finds the offramp Roxford and rids herself of Emma takes the baggy out of her mouth drives for 15 Mins and throws the baggy out the window, goes to the park and ride and fakes the rest.

LE or the defense must have something to show this was an accident -- otherwise it would be Murder 1. I don't get it, which is why this case has just moved to the top of my list.

Mel

This is the only rationale I can come up with; no one has come forward to say sb ever mistreated Emma - she was the "perfect lil mama" as far as anyone one knew - and there are no witnesses except sb - in as much as she admitted to what she says happened - murder suspects are not the most truthful witnesses - if something happened, that sb believes is worse than the truth she told - she might be lying. I doubt it highly since her lies were so bad. But, who knows?

Every new boyfriend was in line to be Emma's new daddy in a matter of days - they were all the love of sb's life by the end of the first date. Some have out and out called her a freak and said as soon as they heard a baby was missing from the AV - sb popped to mind. I have seen some pretty freaky looking people who were good parents and I have seen some professional people who had not a clue how to parent or the the desire to learn.

There have been comments all along that made it appear sb was not quite alright between the ears. Just because she was a goth wanna be at one time doesn't make her a freak IMO.

stephaniestone -

Your comment made me think of my own daughter. When I was growing up, I didn't have the nicest parents. When I became pregnant, I was suddenly a rock star in their eyes and they were just crazy about my daughter. I had a number of friends ask me if it bothered me that they paid so much attention to my daughter after the way they treated me. I said no, because I was just happy that she was so loved. Once I had her, they went back to treating me like crap but treated her like gold. But I never felt bad about that. As long as they were good to my daughter and adored her, that is what mattered to me. My daughter was pretty much the center of everyone's universe (only grandchild on both sides) and that's how it should be IMO.

Sorry for rambling. I hope that made some sense.

I know what you mean exactly. I will admit without feeling bad about it - I enjoyed the attention I got while pregnant (for the most part) - But after the baby was born it was always all about the baby -

Much of my childhood was unhappy
for a bunch of reasons - but it was so healing to see how much my dad loved my kids and just how good he was/is to them - since my mom passed away my dad has stood even higher in my eyes in the things he has continued to do for them. Including traveling almost 800 miles to attend my dd's HS graduation - even tho he is 85, blind and almost deaf -

How these poor excuse for mothers can't see how important it is to have as many loving people in their child's life as possible is sad and selfish.

Makes perfect sense! My daughter is by far the most happening thing in this household!

Seems to be a phenomenon of young moms who just SUCK (sorry, I obviously know it isn't everyone) and think it's all about them! Stacey and Casey will be best friends in hell, IMO. Just like Emma and Caylee are probably best friends in the Lord's arms right now.

What a selfish (among so many other descriptive words) young girl. (I can't bring myself to say lady).(B!TCH - BEOTCH - HO .... take your pick! There are others too, I'm sure) If she didn't love or want poor Emma, her mom and dad sure would have taken her! I don't doubt that for a second. Oh, the emotional trauma they must be experiencing. :(

Bold and teal and respectfully snipped by me; I agree with everything you (and your mom) said.

IDK if you are aware of the boyfriend situation. They had been dating for a few months when this happened - on MySpace his remark to Children ? is - undecided. There is a report somewhere that BB's family was aware of what a needy girl sb is and weren't thrilled by their dating. They were also concerned for Emma having BB start being a daddy figure, then have the relationship end - was not good in their opinion.

BB had no trouble drawing the line - he made no bones about how much he was enjoying his life without a wife or children to tie him down. He told LE 'At this time in his life, he doesn't know if he will ever want to have children.' He was perfectly happy with sb apparently - on St Paddy's Day 3-17 they were out playing til 2 or 3 am - sb got home just in time to go to work (or so her family thought) instead she went back to BB's where they kept on playing until it was time for sb to get back into the work clothes and head on home. (something she had been doing on a regular basis - in the last few weeks of Emma's life - another skill she learned from KC?) Immediately the word around the AV was: sb murdered Emma to be with BB.

I don't have any idea if they ever discussed what her life would be like without Emma - but if they did I can't imagine he meant it in a way that would have encouraged Emma's demise. IMO He just seems like many young guys his age - content with his life the way it is and not looking for any added responsibility as far as his life has been planned at this time.

Not everyone agrees, some of the gals who attend court believe BB was with sb the night of 3-18 - prior to the call she made to her brother at 1030PM - And this is why they feel he shows up to all the court hearings - to make sure she keeps their secret.

Since LE has had sb's phone since 3-18 and we know she was headed towards Emma's daddy's house that night, prior to turning around in Lawndale - I don't see where he fits in, I also don't think he would be walking around a free man had he been along for the ride, but I think he maybe be showing up out of guilt (everyone but sb feels guilty about something sb did that night) a false sense of loyalty to sb and maybe just to show everyone he knows - he has nothing to hide. - but
that just MOO

Thank you hellinor, I hadn't forgotten - just having E-Connect trouble.

The following was provided by our friend Kat of Katfish....Ponders fame:

http://katfishponders.blogspot.com/2010/06/trial-date-set-for-stacey-barker-murder.html

The information provided here is compiled from various posts and e-mail correspondence and phone calls about the hearing details, so this report is not verbatim and may not be reported in the exact order that it occurred in court.

Superior Court Judge Hayden Zackey presided over this hearing. Deputy District Attorney (DDA)S. Kelly Cromer is representing the people and Stacey Barker is being represented by Public Defender (PD) Roberto F. Dager.

This hearing was held in a different courtroom because the air conditioning in Judge Zackey's courtroom wasn't working and as Tori put it, "It was 2 degrees hotter than hell today". She also noted that in this courtroom on the back of the table where the defendant sits was a sign that says, "Do not communicate with prisoners" and stated a PC code violation number.

The reason we mention this is because at the last hearing, when Barker entered the courtroom she said "hiii" to her boyfriend in a flirtatious manner, during the hearing she was bouncy and laughing with her attorney, and when she was led out of the courtroom by the bailiff she turned in a "coy" way and said "BYE" to her family...kind of like she was somewhere other than a court of law.....bidding farewell to her fans. She was definitely in violation.

The regular accredited press from the Antelope Valley News was in court today. Time Warner Cable was also there recording the proceedings. One of the camera guys put a microphone on the attorney's table, Public defender Roberto Dager removed it and handed it to a bailiff, Johnny, who gave it back to the camera man.....so he just set it behind the table and the hearing started.

Judge Zackey started the hearing by announcing the next court date will be June 28 to finish up all pre-trial discovery, motions and whatever else. Then he said we'll be back on July 26 for trial, this will be 40 of 60.

The attorneys for both sides were having a "debate" about some new discovery that the defense hasn't received yet. DDA Kelly Cromer has some CD's that consist of taped visits with civilians that went to see Barker in jail and some letters to and from another inmate at the jail.

Evidently Dager hasn't seen the letters yet because Judge Zackey told Cromer to give the defense a CD of the letters. DDA Cormer told the court she wants to have all of the discovery transcribed to include who Barker is talking to and who is saying what.

Hmmm.....must be planning to use some of this in court if the state is going to the trouble of having transcriptions made. What part about "no rights to privacy" is it that people who are incarcerated don't get?

That was the end of the hearing and the bailiff, Johnny, pulled out Stacey Barker's chair and took her by the arm to go back into lockup before she could even say goodbye to PD Dager, she didn't even attempt to look at her family and boyfriend.

Hopefully, both parties will get all the loose ends tied up by the June 28th hearing so the July 26 trial date will stand! There will be justice for Emma soon. As I have said before, Truth = Justice. It is time for the truth to come out, whatever that may be.

DDA Kelly Cromer is establishing quite the name for herself and I could not be happier for her to be heading up Emma's Team - two trials she has been involved with, over just the last few months involving kids with very bad parents, both lost while on trial and were found guilty of Murder 2 - 25 to life.

BUMPING FOR EMMA

LCM- ANY IDEA WHEN THE NEXT HEARING IS??

Thanks for staying so dedicated to finging Justice for Emma. You know we are on the same page as far as SB goes, and I wanted to publicly THANK YOU for keeping us updated from "the girl's/Katfish's" site :blowkiss:

BUMPING FOR EMMA

LCM- ANY IDEA WHEN THE NEXT HEARING IS??

Thanks for staying so dedicated to finging Justice for Emma. You know we are on the same page as far as SB goes, and I wanted to publicly THANK YOU for keeping us updated from "the girl's/Katfish's" site :blowkiss:

Judge Zackey started the hearing by announcing the next court date will be June 28 to finish up all pre-trial discovery, motions and whatever else. Then he said we'll be back on July 26 for trial, this will be 40 of 60.

I am patiently awaiting a summary of today, and oh will July 26 ever come?

I haven't forgotten Sweet Emma.

:blowkiss: to heaven for Emma.

Originally Posted by LCoastMom

BBM - I have seen these numbers several times in this thread. Can someone tell me what they mean? TIA

BBM - I have seen these numbers several times in this thread. Can someone tell me what they mean? TIA

Don't quote me, I'll have to double check but if I am remembering correctly it has to do with the right to a speedy trial, it is the deadline, for either side to finish filing official documents or sharing info etc. number of days (60) number of days that will pass by that date (40) and to return to court.

I need to find out what exactly it is that resets this count down as we have seen this more than once.

Thanks for the question, that had been bothering me too.

ETA: Our res expert agrees and as far as she remembers, when the case is not ready for trial, the count down is restarted by filing a motion for this or that reason, so when the last 60 out of 60 was hit, and the PD was not ready they must have filed for an "extension" which is why she again went back to the 60 out of (whatever) it was that day.

I cut part of the report this hearing, it is just our dribble of what is seen and said (prior to the momster appearing in court) and doesn't change the hearing information. It was 2* hotter than hades and 3 full buses of detainees who were unloaded and processed before the hearing started.

As always I'll leave KatFishPonders link if you want to catch the rest. Also a photo of DevilDude is posted at her site.

http://katfishponders.blogspot.com/

KatFish has passed on her thanks to those of you who have been visiting her.

It was noted that momster had a very neat hair braid and appeared quiet, there were no dances down the walkway this hearing or winks to lover boy. Who was sitting with Emma's great grandparents, they have continued with the little remarks and nasty looks which has caused "Nurse" to question when this became about us, she doesn't understand why it bothers them that someone wants to see justice for Emma.

Please note that as usual Mr/Mrs Barker and sons were not present, nor have they ever participated in this little game.

In a hearing held at the Lancaster courthouse on June 28 Superior Court Judge Hayden Zackey has again changed the date for the murder trial of Stacey Barker to now start on Monday, September 20, 2010.

As soon as court is under way, Cromer hands Dager a disc. She says there's a wire tap conversation on the disc ( it isn't clear whose line was tapped) there are also taped phone calls the defendant made and (most interesting IMO) are letters she has exchanged with an inmate Sutton. Judge Zackey asks, "Is that the Erin Sutton who was in my courtroom?" Cromer, Dager and another attorney (unidentified) all respond, " Yes it is your honor." Judge Zackey looks puzzled and maybe a bit shocked when he finds out it was the same guy. (Evidently he didn't make the connection at the last hearing when this was mentioned.)

Our friends actually made the connection at the last hearing, but I didn't include the following in that post because we didn't know his first name so we weren't positive it was the inmate Sutton who had been in Zackey's court before. Judge Zackey wasn't the only one surprised to learn that the inmate Barker has been corresponding with was someone we have talked about before. He has no relationship to this case (before now) but was in court the same day as Stacey back in September 2009. Our friends TD and Anurse nicknamed him "Devil Dude" when they saw him back then, here is how they described him at that time:

"Devil dude was a very creepy guy covered in tattoos (Kat input I love tattoos) but they were all over his bald head, on his face all over his hands and arms, he had a very evil look to him, his eyes were seriously creepy...He was brought in to the courtroom and we were all asked to clear the room...He was all shackled up, he had the handcuffs, the chain around his waist, and the bracelets around his ankles...There were I think like 3 or 4 guards in the room....I don’t know what he did, but as we were allowed back in the courtroom, he looked at everyone in the eyes, like he was getting a image of us in his head...He was just creepy, we all had shivers when he looked at us..."

we don't know exactly what this guy did; however, he makes mention on his MS that he was arrested and is facing life in prison because of something he "allegedly" did to a guy he took guitar lessons from, after he found out the guy was a convicted sex offender and this guy had been trying to get Vampire to allow him to give Vampire's 12 year old daughter "private lessons". He claims he is falsely accused.....but that's a story for another day.*

Update: After further investigation we find that Sutton is in jail for felony robbery with a $2 million bail. Perhaps a third strike felony? The RSO "Vampire" mentions on his MySpace is still living in Lancaster and is listed on the Megan's law website as a child molester.

The bigger question is, how did Stacey Barker meet him and why did she choose this guy for a friend? Our guess is she met him on the bus ride to court, it's 90 miles each way. We know of at least twice that they were in court on the same day. Some think it's a protection thing. She may think other inmates won't mess with her if they are friends. I tend to think they are commiserating with each other because they are both "falsely accused and can relate", who knows??? It seems something from their communications will be used in the trial anyway. We'll see...... **

Ok, back to the hearing....Judge Zackey says he has spoken with both parties and everything is complete in the discovery process. He learned from Cormer and Dager that both they and some of the witnesses and investigators have commitments near the proposed July 26 trial date, so that date will now be a pre-trial hearing.The trial will be the week of September 24. Monday the 20th will start the trial.(We're not sure if that is when jury selection starts, we'll know more after July 26.)

Zackey was very clear that there will be no more delays. Zackey addressed the lawyers," You both want it to stay in this court right? " They both said, "yes". He said, "Alright then, there will be NO more delays unless I am in a trial, then you both agree to wait until I am finished to start the trial...the only delays will be from ME, agree?" They both said," Yes" and that was it the hearing was over.

We can't make this up, the gals dubbed him devil dude based on his scary looks his name on MySpace is Vampire's Empire and the mother of his daughter, goes by: Devil_DOLLS.F.V.

* Devil Dude claims he was arrested and convicted based on lies of his former friend and the case had ended in a hung jury the first time through.

I'm guessing the formerly "goth wannabe" momster may have been a fan of DD and was probably beside herself to be on the same bus.

** It appears this creepy guy has been around awhile in the CA system, notes from "friends" on MySpace have him in lock up 2007 and 2008. There is also a case I have found in United States District Court (of California), from 2005.

Civil Rights - Other Civil Rights
Erin Joseph Sutton v. City of Los Angeles et al.
case number: 2:2005cv08906
Filed: December 22, 2005
California Central District Court
Presiding Judge: Paul L. Abrams

I can't help it I just have to ask after her behavior at the previous court date.

What is wrong with this woman????

I can't help it I just have to ask after her behavior at the previous court date.

What is wrong with this woman????

I believe it was 2 hearings ago, Ms Thang was in all her glory looking like a rock star and waving to her fans, while winking at her former boyfriend.

You would never know she was in a court of law, for murdering her baby. We were all pretty upset.

I believe it was 2 hearings ago, Ms Thang was in all her glory looking like a rock star and waving to her fans, while winking at her former boyfriend.

You would never know she was in a court of law, for murdering her baby. We were all pretty upset.

sure sounds like another tot mom who suffocated her daughter, then dumped her like garbage, doesnt it?

sure sounds like another tot mom who suffocated her daughter, then dumped her like garbage, doesnt it?

I hear you kbl, there was a remark way back when from a coworker - she claimed sb would get upset when people spoke badly of KC, saying no one knew what happened to Caylee and it wasn't fair to dump it on her mother. I really feel like there is an emotional connection there from sb.

I sure do wish we had Sunshine laws here so we could have a copy of that disk. Tori said she is pretty sure the tapped phone call was between Devil Dude and momster. I also want to take a look at the letters.

I was thinking about he trial starting in Sept and realized we are going to pass another of Emma's BDay's before the trial even starts. lil angel would have turned 3 on Sept 2.

The following is an interesting study on mothers who kill, the article was written regarding the Anthony's but there is a paragraph that applies directly to sb. The clips from the article are in italics.

The Five baseic categories that have emerged (there are more) are: Altruistic, Psychotic, Unwanted, Accidental, Revenge. Some mothers share more than one category.

Altruistic; While I don't believe Emma's murder truly to be altruistic, sb did claim the death was to prevent Emma from making the mistakes she made in life, so at some point she must have thought about this as a motive.

Unwanted; sb's new boy toy was not interested in having a ready made family.

Revenge; sb was confronted by her mother just before leaving with Emma, she was told to start acting like a mother, instead of dumping her duty to hang with boys.

While on some level I feel most people who intentionally murder a child are "mentally unbalanced" to some degree, I do not believe most of them meet the criteria of criminally insane. (not knowing right from wrong.) I don't believe an adult who holds their hand over a baby's mouth and nose can later say the death was an accident - it ticks me off in the worst way to hear these POC later say they didn't mean for it to kill the child, that would fall under the label of torture, if it were true, that makes them just as awful IMO.

In the acutely psychotic filicide, the parent kills under the influence of severe mental illness - I know not everyone agrees with this but I believe Andrea Yates and Otty Sanchez, who murdered her new born son last summer - to be truly psychotic, only someone in their league is going to get my vote.

In unwanted child filicides, the murder occurs because the parent no longer desires the child for non-psychotic reasons such as illegitimacy or uncertain paternity; the child is in the way of personal ambitions; and sometimes consider this a "too late abortion" with the child being either male or female, and the death age to be under two.

I guess this includes sb in her desire to have a boyfriend and come and go as she pleased. It is very low on the scale of what most people would consider an ambition, each to their own?

I would say it makes Emma's death that much more tragic.

You might want to take that link out of your post as it is a forbidden link, that is not allowed to be posted.

when casey anthony is your role model, you dont deserve to live :(

Bump for Miss Emma.

One week left until July 26, we are watching Emma.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back