Identified! FL - Belle Glade, WhtMale 7UMFL, 21-35, on sugar farm, Sz 10.5 boots, watch w/ 'L J', Oct'76 - Douglas Streeter

tamar

Reaction score
How about these as a match? The height is off, but photos /reconstruction are very similar. The chin is especially notable, also the 'muscular' description. The flashy watch fits in with lifestyle of missing male (drug dealer/runner) as does murder by execution.

The Doe Network: Case File 7UMFL Unidentified White Male
Body located on Talisman's Sugar Farm, SR 827, two miles south of Belle Glade, Palm Beach County, Florida on October 26, 1976.
Estimated Date of Death: February 1, 1976
The victim was killed by at least three gunshots.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 27 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; 180 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Straight brown hair; brown eyes. He was of a very muscular
build and had Native traits. He had cartilage damage to the knees and damage to his lower back.
Clothing: He was wearing jeans; brown Dan Post boots, size 10 1/2.
Jewelry: A Timex watch with a silver band. The initials "LJ" were carved into the underside of the band.
Two coral and turquoise-colored stones were placed on each side of the band.
Dentals: Available. Probably has a moderate overbite and he is lacking his canines.

Investigators
If you have any information on this man's identity or the circumstances surrounding his homicide, please contact:
Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office
561-688-4000
All tips can be submitted on an anonymous basis.

NCIC Number:
U-120581806
Please refer to this number when contacting the authorities.

Source Information: Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/7umfl.html

James Berkeley Norris II
Missing since October 4, 1974 from Miami or Inglis, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 19, 1949
Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0", 165 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic/White male. Dark brown, collar length hair; hazel eyes. He has broad shoulders, is muscular and lean.
Marks, Scars: Small scar in the middle of his upper lip, directly under the nose.
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints/DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Norris disappeared on a trip to Florida in 1974 under suspicious circumstances. He left his home in San Francisco on October 3rd, 1974 with $12,000 cash and a plan to purchase Columbian marijuana from one of several contacts in Florida. He arrived at Miami International Airport early the morning of the 4th.
His family received a postcard (depicting a minor attraction in Winter Park, Florida) postmarked October 4th, 1974 in Inglis, Florida. Inglis is about 6-1/2 hours northwest of Miami on the Gulf of Mexico in Levy County, Florida. His family never heard from him again and the individuals he was meeting in Florida denied having had any contact with him once he arrived in Miami.
He was not carrying any identification and he used the name "Richard Gunning" on the flight from San Francisco to Miami.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Fairfield Police Department (CA)
Detective Mel Ferro
707-428-7300

Agency Case Number:
03-3202

NCIC Number: M-163048935

Attachments

• 7UMFL.jpg
    7UMFL.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 55
  • JBNorris2.jpg
    JBNorris2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 58
  • JBNorris1.jpg
    JBNorris1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 57
  • JBNorris4.jpg
    JBNorris4.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 7UMFL1.jpg
    7UMFL1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 57
What interests me is the description of the UID-
5'8" and 180-he was found 8 months after his approx dod-the remains would have been skeletal, correct? 5'8" and 180 would have made the UID overweight as opposed to 6' and 165, which is pretty lean/skinny.

The rest is pretty compelling-the dental for the UID indicates an overbite and missing canines which would have been pretty distinctive. I wonder though if the canines were gone pre or post mortem?

I guess I would check in with detectives for the missing man and see if he had an overbite for a start....hmmmm....

I think the reconstruction and circumstances are most compelling, and tho I'm with you on the height and weight discrepancy, I'm still a bit skeptical on the accuracy of those parameters (on the missing persons side primarily).. for 2 reasons:

1. People tend to exaggerate/minimize their height/weight
2. There is no info given on where height/weight estimates originated/obtained e.g., was it taken from the missing person's drivers license?; his/her parents' estimation?; the missing person's last physical examination?; an arrest record?

Also, on a newly solved UID case the weight and height was off by almost as much... I'll try to find the stats and repost them here.

I think the reconstruction and circumstances are most compelling, and tho I'm with you on the height and weight discrepancy, I'm still a bit skeptical on the accuracy of those parameters (on the missing persons side primarily).. for 2 reasons:

1. People tend to exaggerate/minimize their height/weight
2. There is no info given on where height/weight estimates originated/obtained e.g., was it taken from the missing person's drivers license?; his/her parents' estimation?; the missing person's last physical examination?; an arrest record?

Also, on a newly solved UID case the weight and height was off by almost as much... I'll try to find the stats and repost them here.

Thanks, Tamar-I believe the stats on missing folks are skewed, and I am actually a little stunned on the ht/wgt estimate for the UID...I guess my point was how those particular stats were arrived at-look at the age...27? Not a range??

Maybe they used clothing as an indicator....

Thanks, Tamar-I believe the stats on missing folks are skewed, and I am actually a little stunned on the ht/wgt estimate for the UID...I guess my point was how those particular stats were arrived at-look at the age...27? Not a range??

Maybe they used clothing as an indicator....

I agree on the stats being skewed - for the missing and the UID's. I am curious though, if the remains of the UID were skeletal, how could they arrive at the fact that he was "of a very muscular build?" Is this something that would be evident with the bone structure?

Anyhoo, there are some very strong similarities. I would give it a go! It's been a loooooooong time...

I just got a response from Doe Network. It looks like authorities are already/currently comparing these two cases.

7UMFL

7UMFL.jpg
7UMFL1.jpg

Reconstruction of the victim by the Palm Beach Sheriff's Office; victim's watch.

Date of Discovery: October 26, 1976
Location of Discovery: Belle Glade, Palm Beach County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: About 2 months prior
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Homicide by gunshot

Estimated Age: 21-35 years old
Race: White and/or Native American
Sex: Male
Height: 5'6" to 5'8"
Weight: 180 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Very muscular. He had cartilage damage to the knees and damage to his lower back.

Dentals: Available. Possibly had moderate overbite. Canines absent.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown.

Clothing: Jeans and brown Dan Post boots, size 10 1/2.
Jewelry: Timex watch with a silver band. The initials "LJ" were carved into the underside of the band. Two coral and turquoise stones were placed on each side of the band.

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim's body was located on Talisman's Sugar Farm, SR 827, two miles south of Belle Glade, Palm Beach County, Florida on October 26, 1976. He was shot at least three times.

Think we’re possibly looking for someone with the initials LJ, or is that a type of jewelers mark?

In the spring/summer of 1971 I was about 9 years old. We lived in Belle Glade, FL across the street from an enormous sugar cane field.

Interesting tidbit in this court case.

Petersen v. Talisman Sugar Corporation, 478 F.2d 73 | Casetext Search + Citator

Talisman Sugar Corporation, a sugar cane grower and producer, paid passage for approximately 1,000 Jamaican workers to work at and live on its sugar plantation from November, 1971 to March, 1972. The Jamaicans were hired under a contract complying with federal regulations, and were brought to live in a camp near Belle Glade, Florida.

The original post showing the new recon was deleted for not having a link attached to it.
UP1330 smaller.png

I had quoted the original post with the image the recon was based off of.
1659557713963.png

What interests me is the description of the UID-
5'8" and 180-he was found 8 months after his approx dod-the remains would have been skeletal, correct?

I don’t know much about dead people, but I do know about sugar cane in S Florida, and this place. He could hardly have been where he was found for 8 months, if he was literally found “in a cane field,” as the Palm Beach Post reports.

Sugar cane takes a year to grow and is harvested Oct to May. If that block had already been harvested between Oct 75 and Feb 76, the new 1976 cane would have been either not sprouted yet, or just a about foot tall when he got there in Feb , making it impossible for him not to have been found sooner than Oct 76. It’s unlikely he would even have been left in that field in that case, since many surrounding fields would have held older/taller cane.

If it hadn’t been harvested yet when he arrived in Feb 76, it could have been a great place to put a body, but when it was harvested Feb-May 76, his clothes and body would have been burned, and he probably would have been discovered when the cane was cut, or even when the field was lit. (I will try to remember to add a pic of a cane fire).

So, it’s more likely he got there June 76-Oct 76. In June/July that field could have been about thigh to head high, easy to walk through with a body, or to make him walk though himself. The sensible thing would have been to leave him a simple 10ft into the field, out of easy view, but quick, and he probably would have been found (burned) at the next harvest, Oct76/May77. 100+ft into the field, it’s possible he wouldn’t have been found for years, and maybe never. He wasn’t left any distance into the field at all though, so it probably didn’t arrive June/July 76.

By August/Sept 76, it would have been difficult to get very far into the cane, because it is thicker by then, and it would quickly become less possible, and eventually impossible, to get even 6 feet into the field with a body. Ergo, the closer he was found to the edge, the older the cane probably was when he arrived. This does assume that hiding the body was important though. Ssometimes it’s not, and sometimes it’s important, but impractical. If PBSO asked the farm for the harvest date at the time, they have a decent window for missing people.

I just noticed I’m replying to a practically fossilized post, sorry, but I guess I will still do it since people are still reading about this fella, may he RIP.

Attachments

• F0DD89A7-C95D-4A45-A5BA-ED183ADD79DE.jpeg
    F0DD89A7-C95D-4A45-A5BA-ED183ADD79DE.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 8
@Pnut - that's super interesting info - thank you. And as far as replying on a fossilized post, everything in this thread is pretty much fossilized so it's always great to bring a case back to the front page!

That is an incredibly distinctive watch. I'm kind of surprised that whoever killed him left it at the scene.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back