Penn State's athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child sex case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't understand why no one tried to find out the identity of the 10-year old and just thought they were ok.
These poor children, were taken into a program to help them, and this is what happens?
And he even adopted one of them?
Sick, sick, sick!

While the Sanduskys could not have children of their own, they adopted six, which is one of those facts that feels telling only in retrospect.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7205085/growing-penn-state

Just heard on HLN another victim has come forward.

I hope all the little boys this guy raped come forward.

This just in....

Penn State Said to Be Planning Paterno’s Exit Amid Scandal (New York Times)

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — Joe Paterno’s tenure as coach of the Penn State football team will soon be over, perhaps within days or weeks, in the wake of a sex-abuse scandal that has implicated university officials, according to two people briefed on conversations among the university’s top officials.
---
much more at link above

How can any football player go into those showers knowing little boys were raped in there by a sick monster?

Powerful Sports Illustrated piece just up:

With no explanation for inaction, Joe Paterno must go now
---
The Penn State alma mater includes this line: "May no act of ours bring shame." Someone wrote those words on a poster Monday and hung them from a statue of Paterno on Penn State's campus. If Sandusky pleads guilty or is convicted of these accusations, that statue of Paterno should be torn down.

Paterno has won 409 games. He has helped usher thousands of young men into adulthood. But if Paterno's inaction allowed a monster to continue preying on children, those victories don't mean a thing.
the rest at link above

I was disappointed that people were upset with Paterno. Going on the assumption innocent until proven guilty I ran through what Paterno's thinking could have been: A student came and reported an assault, Paterno did not see the incident, it was a serious allegation, but the student hadn't reported it to the police so is what the student telling accurate? That leads me to think that Paterno reported it to his superior because he was concerned and it also was probably the schools policy to do so. Again, I think he was questioning the credibility of the student who reported it when finding out the student didn't go to the police. ......Then I read that this student now works for paterno on the team. That blew any defense I had for Paterno. IF he knew Sandusky wasn't arrested:furious: after reporting the incident to his higher ups then I assume he would think the student was lying. So why would he hire the student, a person who would make such horrendous false allegations?! But since he did hire him, Paterno must value his judgement therefore, paterno should have notified the police when he heard the story and/or when he found out the AD/superiors did not notify police. This wasn't a theft, robbery, test cheating, paying players kind of thing that 'we'll try to sweep under the rug'. This was the sexual assault of a child by a man they know involves himself with children based programs! This disgusts me! People, EVERYONE, need to look at any abusive/questionable situation and immediately question "if this was my child, brother, sister, me, what should I do?". I didn't say 'would do' because obviously they wouldn't do anything! IMO. Apologies for incoherent statements, it has taken me an hour to get this typed and if I could get the exploding head smiley to work this post would be one HUGE exploding head!

I was disappointed that people were upset with Paterno. Going on the assumption innocent until proven guilty I ran through what Paterno's thinking could have been: A student came and reported an assault, Paterno did not see the incident, it was a serious allegation, but the student hadn't reported it to the police so is what the student telling accurate? That leads me to think that Paterno reported it to his superior because he was concerned and it also was probably the schools policy to do so. Again, I think he was questioning the credibility of the student who reported it when finding out the student didn't go to the police. ......Then I read that this student now works for paterno on the team. That blew any defense I had for Paterno. IF he knew Sandusky wasn't arrested:furious: after reporting the incident to his higher ups then I assume he would think the student was lying. So why would he hire the student, a person who would make such horrendous false allegations?! But since he did hire him, Paterno must value his judgement therefore, paterno should have notified the police when he heard the story and/or when he found out the AD/superiors did not notify police. This wasn't a theft, robbery, test cheating, paying players kind of thing that 'we'll try to sweep under the rug'. This was the sexual assault of a child by a man they know involves himself with children based programs! This disgusts me! People, EVERYONE, need to look at any abusive/questionable situation and immediately question "if this was my child, brother, sister, me, what should I do?". I didn't say 'would do' because obviously they wouldn't do anything! IMO. Apologies for incoherent statements, it has taken me an hour to get this typed and if I could get the exploding head smiley to work this post would be one HUGE exploding head!

The only reason this school hired the grad student after the rape was to keep his mouth shut. I bet anything he is getting far more money and power that is normal for the position he holds. Why is he still working?

The only reason this school hired the grad student after the rape was to keep his mouth shut. I bet anything he is getting far more money and power that is normal for the position he holds. Why is he still working?

agree, agree, agree, agree, agree! This is sick. Churches, scouts, schools- it is time for look the other way, "it was a mistake", "we'll take care of it ourselves" to be OVER! Report it.

When the mother (of Victim #6) confronted Sandusky, he said: “I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won’t get it from you. I wish I were dead,” according the presentment from the grand jury.

An investigator for Children and Youth Services broke the news to the mother: It was all a big mistake, the mother said she was told. The police officer who investigated won’t comment. Neither will the former police chief.

“Jerry Sandusky admitted to my face, he admitted it,” the mother said. “He admitted that he lathered up my son they were naked and he bear-hugged him. If they would have done something about it in 1998, and then again in 2002 — there was two chances they dropped the ball and I think they should all be held accountable.”

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/mothers_of_two_of_jerry_sandus.html

This really hits home for me. I went to high school with Jerry. He was in my graduating class.

Jerry's father was a pillar of goodness in our home town of Washington, Pa. He opened a center for children from poor families to experience team sports. Everyone remembers the family who gave so much to the youth of the community. Jerry was just an ordinary guy who played baseball and football from pre-teen to high school age.

His high school classmates, me included, were led to believe that Jerry was slated to take over the head coaching job at Penn State once Joe resigned. It was our local guy makes good story. Then the story was that Joe went back on his promise and decided he would not retire and Jerry was out of the picture. There was a general feeling of hate toward Penn State and Coach Joe among us all.

However, now, after reading (especially the Grand Jury findings) and discussing this with other former classmates, we now see that the Jerry's fate was much different when the head coaching job was not offered to him.

To say I'm shocked, is almost funny. I've been sick about this all week, mainly for the child victims. This should have been stopped long ago. No one stepped up and did what morally and legally should have been done.

It's going to be a long, long time for Penn State to live past this horrible story.

just my O

Heckuva great read re: the effect of this scandal on those who have grown up and/or lived in State College, in the shadow of the seemingly inviolable "Paterno monolith."

Growing Up Penn State (Michael Weinreb, in Grantland)
The end of everything at State College
---
Everything in State College — even the name of our town — was one all-encompassing, synergistic monolith, and Joe Paterno was our benevolent dictator, and nothing truly bad ever happened, and even when it did, it was easier just to blot it from our lives and move on.
---
I know that I'm in denial. I know that I'm working through multiple layers of anger and disgust and neurosis and angst. I know that I'm too emotionally attached to the situation to offer any kind of objective take, though I don't think I realized how emotionally attached I was until this occurred.
---
If it means that this is how Joe Paterno goes out, then so be it; if it means that 30 years of my own memories of Penn State football are forever tarnished, then I will accept it in the name of finding some measure of justice. Every sane person I know agrees on this.
---
We've come to terms with the corruptibility of the human soul in State College, and we've swept away the naïve notion that this place where we lived so quietly was different from the rest of America.
---
The place where I grew up is gone, and it's not coming back.

Much more of this fine, searching essay at link above.

Welll, I knew this thread would be here. As a 1989 alum I am still reeling. When I heard "assistant coach" I was shocked. When I heard Jerry Sandusky I was reeling. Sandusky and Second Mile were big things at PSU in the 80s. And I haven't read this thread yet but the GA who saw the worst reported episode is reported to be Mike McQueary who I remember from his QB days (he looks just like my brother, another PSU alum..tall and redhead). I am sick, just sick.

Yes, he's hard to miss on the sidelines, he's the tall redhead guy. He used to be a QB as well. My brother (his doppleganger), a diehard PSU football fan said, now we know how he got that job....

As stinky as this is I am sure glad to see the light of day cast over the situation. I listened to an interesting debate on my local radio today. They all cared much more about protecting JoPa than the children but the moderator did say that this must feel to Penn like the priest cover-up felt to the Catholic church.

Big fall from grace.

Get this. Earlier this year my little parish''s priest, Monignor Lynn, was indicted for covering up sex abuse in the Phila Archdiocese. I'm a Penn Stater. It's like deja vu all over again. But in some ways worse.

I have met Joe Paterno over the 5 years my son played Football at Rutgers and we played Penn State. On two occasions, Joe has helped me tremendously when my son got severely injured on the football field and when my husband got very sick at the game and was rushed to the emergency room. I was 3 1/2 hours away from home when my husband was admitted and Joe was so supportive and helped me so much during both times.

I am SHOCKED to learn that Joe did NOT go that extra mile and report what he learned regarding the student to the University police. I am just so darn DISGUSTED!!!!! :furious:

I have met Joe Paterno over the 5 years my son played Football at Rutgers and we played Penn State. On two occasions, Joe has helped me tremendously when my son got severely injured on the football field and when my husband got very sick at the game and was rushed to the emergency room. I was 3 1/2 hours away from home when my husband was admitted and Joe was so supportive and helped me so much during both times.

I am SHOCKED to learn that Joe did NOT go that extra mile and report what he learned regarding the student to the University police. I am just so darn DISGUSTED!!!!! :furious:

That's what makes this so shocking..he has such a rep as a good guy, squeaky clean, and beloved...

http://twitpic.com/7c8n10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members