Children taunt bus monitor and make her cry

Oh for Heaven's sake. She didnt ask for any money. People are choosing to give it and now there is sour grapes?

ITA. She didn't ask for it. There is some guy collecting it trough the website. This guy isn't connected to Karen in any way, shape or form.

Two of the middle school kids who brutally bullied a school bus monitor in Greece, New York are apologizing to Karen Klein.

MSNBC says they've sent notes to police who have forwarded them to Klein.

"I am so sorry for the way I treated you," one of the student said in a statement. "When I saw the video I was disgusted and could not believe I did that. I will never treat anyone this way again."

More at link:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...r-gets-an-apology-half-a-million-in-donations

Why aren't they apologizing to her in person? I watched Karen Klein on Anderson Cooper. HE read her the apologies. They made it to the news media before ever getting to her. What's up with that? When asked how she felt about the apologies she stated, "No one's apologized to me."

I saw a list of names on an article, I didn't post it here since they are minors, but they're all guys.

What do you want them to do? Apologizing is a good first step. They might be meaningless, but they are doing what they should. JMO

I see a father who's mortified by what his kid has done. It took a lot of cajones to go in front of the camera like that. I agree with him too. I think a psychological evaluation is the right direction to go. JMO

BTW, I don't see any other parents coming forward.

I love ya' Steely, but counseling doesn't fix evil. Evaluations can't diagnose evil either. These kids have serious character flaws. This wasn't one rude word. It was ten minutes of torment and not the first time they have done it. It was mob mentality. By this age, they know better. They need serious character "therapy" which involves long discussion with their parents, hours and hours of volunteer work with those who are disadvantaged, and serious punishment involving complete deprivation, for months, of everything they love to do, like phone, internet, t.v., video games. Everything but homework, family events and volunteer work. So they have a chance to reflect on what they have done and who they have become.

These parents are in a race against time. IMO, it's probably too late but if they have any chance at all they need to take swift, decisive action, right now. All this talk about psychologists is a means of excusing the behavior "My son was sick, he wasn't in his right mind. He needs help." Yeah, he's got a sick soul and no amount of counseling will fix that.

But, being dprived of everything he likes to do, being forced to spend long hours with those who have less than he, being forced to understand the seriousness of what he has done, personal, in- person apologies, etc., perhaps, just maybe, they will have a chance at turning this kid around.

I can see why some might say it took guts for this kid's dad to go on t.v.. But everyone in Greece N.Y. knows who he is already. And everyone in the world knows his son, pretty much. So, I see it more as damage control and I am not pleased with the subtle attempt to excuse this behavior with allusions to "counseling". :twocents:

I would normally agree but this whole thing happened so fast. I believe it was the mother of the camera recorder who uploaded it to her Facebook the same night it took place. That night a friend downloaded the video from Facebook and uploaded it to YouTube. At the same time a link to the video was posted on reddit and 4chan. This gave it thousands and thousands of hits in the first few hours. These boys had no clue of the reaction coming. maybe if the mother had went to the parents of the kids first an apology and punishment would have been made? I guess we will never know. Listeening to the interview of one of the fathers, they have had death threats and multiple deliveries to the home.

The backlash seems to have started against Karen gaining so much money.. But I still believe she deserves it. people are donating because what these boys did was wrong. Hopefully she will never be subjected to this again. People around the world are saying to these boys No!

I never saw anywhere that the mom uploaded it. In fact, the child himself talked about uploading it. Do you have a link to support that information?

Letters are nice and all, but these kids need to be marched up to look Karen in the eyes and apologize face to face.

Anytime I did something to wrong someone else as a kid, I was made to apologize in person. We make our kids do the same. And the apology better had be sincere. There is no substitute for this, really. A letter just allows them to remain detached from Karen and what they did to her. They need to own up, apologize, and see with their own eyes the hurt they did to a fellow human being. :twocents:

Eta - that goes the same for apology videos posted to YouTube. Nice and all, but no substitute for a face to face apology.

Exactly. When we were young and did wrong we were forced to face the person we offended. That really increased the sense of guilt.

Of course, the police might have said they should not contact her directly, because they have harassed her, and should send notes through them, but that doesn't explain why the media had the apologies before Ms. Klein did.

Every child misbehaves. Every child disobeys. Every child embarrasses their parents with their behavior at some point. This is much more than all that. These kids got to this point for some reason. And so far I am not that impressed with what I have heard from their parents.

Two of the middle school kids who brutally bullied a school bus monitor in Greece, New York are apologizing to Karen Klein.

MSNBC says they've sent notes to police who have forwarded them to Klein.

"I am so sorry for the way I treated you," one of the student said in a statement. "When I saw the video I was disgusted and could not believe I did that. I will never treat anyone this way again."

More at link:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...r-gets-an-apology-half-a-million-in-donations

BBM. Even worse! The notes were sent to the media BEFORE they got to police and BEFORE they got to Ms. Klein! Insincere damage control much?

I personally would have marched my son down to her and made him apologize, not do it for him. These kids are not 6 years old. But she has said in interviews she doesn't want to face them, at least not yet.

I see a father who's mortified by what his kid has done. It took a lot of cajones to go in front of the camera like that. I agree with him too. I think a psychological evaluation is the right direction to go. JMO

BTW, I don't see any other parents coming forward.

Gotta disagree with you on this. He is on damage control mode. I don't think any evaluation is going to help.

This is coming from TMZ, so don't know how credible it is.

Karen Klein I DON'T Accept the Kids' Apologies
http://www.tmz.com/2012/06/22/karen-klein-bus-monitor-tmz-live-does-not-accept-apology/

Haha! Karen has some suggestions of how they should be punished? I bet she does, lol. Great idea, let Karen decide. 1. Mow my lawn for the summer 2. clean out my garage 3. rake my leaves in the fall 4. shovel the driveway in the winter. Oh, and in your free time wash my car! And then post those videos on you tube for the world to see!!!

Letters are nice and all, but these kids need to be marched up to look Karen in the eyes and apologize face to face.

Anytime I did something to wrong someone else as a kid, I was made to apologize in person. We make our kids do the same. And the apology better had be sincere. There is no substitute for this, really. A letter just allows them to remain detached from Karen and what they did to her. They need to own up, apologize, and see with their own eyes the hurt they did to a fellow human being. :twocents:

Eta - that goes the same for apology videos posted to YouTube. Nice and all, but no substitute for a face to face apology.

BBM. Even worse! The notes were sent to the media BEFORE they got to police and BEFORE they got to Ms. Klein! Insincere damage control much?

I'm not sure she'd want them at her house. She may have requested that they go through the police instead. I don't know, just a thought.

Gotta disagree with you on this. He is on damage control mode. I don't think any evaluation is going to help.

Well he's the only parent who is. I think by facing the cameras he's embarrassing his son even more. I do think a psychological evaluation will help. I taught seventh graders for my student teaching (which is why I passed on being a teacher) and most of them are ok. They're just at a very awkward age where peer pressure is very easy to apply. This kid could just be the toady to the real bully.

Also, the father never says he won't be punishing the kid in addition to the psychological stuff.

Haha! Karen has some suggestions of how they should be punished? I bet she does, lol. Great idea, let Karen decide. 1. Mow my lawn for the summer 2. clean out my garage 3. rake my leaves in the fall 4. shovel the driveway in the winter. Oh, and in your free time wash my car! And then post those videos on you tube for the world to see!!!

:giggle:

I'd even pay to watch those videos if I had to.

I wouldn't have made my kid apologize, I would have done that, - I'd have punished him. Ever hear the old adage spare the rod, spoil the child? It means to punish your child to improve his character. Without the civilizing influence of punishment all one gets are little monsters.

My child would have lost everything dear to him for 1 month. No friends, no music, no computer, no vacations, no bikes, no outings, nothing. And believe me I've done it to both my kids. They always knew the rules of civilized behavior because it was enforced by punishment of bad behavior. It works.

(CNN) -- The family of New York bus monitor Karen Klein -- who has gained sympathy worldwide after a video of seventh-graders brutally taunting her while on the job went viral this week -- is asking for the harassment of the children to stop.

"Between all of us, we don't feel that's right by any means," Klein's daughter, Amanda Romig, told CNN on Friday. "We would like people to stop harassing the family and the kids. That's another form of bullying."

(snip)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/22/us/new-york-bus-monitor/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Just listened to this vid for the first time. I would like to slap these kids so hard that I would make their ears ring -so hard :furious:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-06-21-14-52-56

A New York school bus monitor who was verbally assaulted by four middle schoolers, an attack that generated international outrage and an outpouring of support for the woman when a video of the taunts went viral, has told police she does not want the boys to face criminal charges.

bbm

:thud:

Ok, I can't read any further. What these boys did was wrong. No, I can't watch the video.... but if she is unwilling to see them criminally prosecuted and held responsible, she is part of the problem with childen NOT facing appropriate consequences.

Riding a bus is a priviledge, just as having a drivers license is.

My son was the victim of a neighborhood bully. I thought it appropriate to tell this childs parents. The child was dumb enough to use my sons 3DS to video record himself and other children taunting my son.

I was floored by his parents response- after they viewed the video of their sons behavior. His mother was silent while his father came at ME shaking his fist, blaming MY son telling me his son could do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants. His son watched as his father responded in this manner with a chit eating grin on his face. Perfect example of why sometimes it is NOT appropriate for women to be in certain situations.

At that point, I spoke to my step dad, former LE and former chief of police who did suggest getting my sons father (we are not together and live in seperate communities) involved.

It hasn't escalated thus far. But I have saved the video in the event we need it in court at some point in the future. I have since sleuthed this boys father, and their home at one point was in foreclosure. I don't know if it still is (I'm watching for it to hit the sheriffs sale)... but I wouldn't feel bad if they lost it and the rift raft was out of the neighborhood. This is a family that doesn't need to save for college but rather save for the commisary.

And yes, when young males are learning this type of behavior from the adult males in their lives, it takes another male to deal with the situation. Which is why I sought the involvement of my sons father. As a female, it is not something I can address alone.

Vent over. I'm glad to see the woman got a nice amount of money so she doesn't have to go back to work..... but I am terribly disappointed she is backing down from these young men being held criminally responsible.

What I get from this is Luis is sorry it went viral, not that it happened, not that he didn't step in like a knight in shining armour and protect the lady, he is sorry it went this far? Let me put this in a nutshell for you Luis the Loser, you learned nothing, and you are only sorry for yourself.
ETA: Recio, I'm sorry you'll never know what it is like to be a man.

I totally agree Dewey, he is only sorry "it went this far" as in he did not think that he and his cohorts would be on the wrong end of the stick in this situation. The punks had no idea that their little macho bullying video would make them so infamous....they actually thought that they would be supported.:banghead:

:thud:

Ok, I can't read any further. What these boys did was wrong. No, I can't watch the video.... but if she is unwilling to see them criminally prosecuted and held responsible, she is part of the problem with childen NOT facing appropriate consequences.

Riding a bus is a priviledge, just as having a drivers license is.

My son was the victim of a neighborhood bully. I thought it appropriate to tell this childs parents. The child was dumb enough to use my sons 3DS to video record himself and other children taunting my son.

I was floored by his parents response- after they viewed the video of their sons behavior. His mother was silent while his father came at ME shaking his fist, blaming MY son telling me his son could do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants. His son watched as his father responded in this manner with a chit eating grin on his face. Perfect example of why sometimes it is NOT appropriate for women to be in certain situations.

At that point, I spoke to my step dad, former LE and former chief of police who did suggest getting my sons father (we are not together and live in seperate communities) involved.

It hasn't escalated thus far. But I have saved the video in the event we need it in court at some point in the future. I have since sleuthed this boys father, and their home at one point was in foreclosure. I don't know if it still is (I'm watching for it to hit the sheriffs sale)... but I wouldn't feel bad if they lost it and the rift raft was out of the neighborhood. This is a family that doesn't need to save for college but rather save for the commisary.

And yes, when young males are learning this type of behavior from the adult males in their lives, it takes another male to deal with the situation. Which is why I sought the involvement of my sons father. As a female, it is not something I can address alone.

Vent over. I'm glad to see the woman got a nice amount of money so she doesn't have to go back to work..... but I am terribly disappointed she is backing down from these young men being held criminally responsible.

There should be consequences no doubt. They did touch her inappropriately in the video. I shudder to think what these bullies could be like as adults. Perhaps a future child molester, serial killer, or terrorist. :notgood: :crazy:

$428,644

http://www./loveforkarenhklein?c=activity

It may not make up for what she went through, but it may help her retire...I think the next bus monitor for those rude children should have a badge and a gun....

At the very least a bus monitor or bus driver should be armed with a stun gun or a cattle prod or some other kind of equalizer..............LOL.:floorlaugh:

Well I've seen one video of the "cameraman and his mother" and read one comment/apology of a father of one of the bullies, where are the rest of the parents? Do we have to wait on Dr. Phil to have them on?:woohoo:

I agree that times need to change so someone like this woman can be a bus monitor. I find it repulsive that she was reduced to tears by the likes of these kids. But, those times are not here and I'm equally appalled that those kids are not sitting in jail right now.
I completely agree. I'm appalled at the comments that it should only be a man's job. From what I've read the bus driver was only doing her job, and not responding initially. The fault lies with the brats and the parents who turn a blind eye to it, and I believe it is up to the school district to protect this woman. I'm not old, but had I been her, I would have pulled the bus over, stopped, and given them a piece of my mind- it wouldn't have progressed to them getting physical with me! If this woman wasn't capable of that, then she should have had some protection available to her- monitor, phone, or security camera. I don't think a vacation fund for her is the answer- it doesn't address the problem and these punks do need to spend some time in juvie and not ride the bus again, IMO!:twocents:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back