Identified! VT - White River Junction, Female suicide in motel, Dec'97 - Susan Clapp

Strange...It let me do it. I have googled her but only been able to find this one and another one which was about them burying her despite being unidentified.
She was a striking middleaged woman with expensive luggage and clothes.
She called herself Kathy Smith and travelled in New England, arrived there from New York, said she had just gotten through a nasty divorce and that she worked in the finance industry. She was fit and good looking with striking long white hair.

I cant find her on the doenetwork, and on namus but Im not really namus savy....��

I'm pretty familiar with searching on NAMUS. She is not listed there. They list 3 UIDs females from Vermont, the oldest is from 1935; one is from 2011; and one is from 2012. The weird thing is if I log in, I can only see the Asian female UID from 2012. If I DON'T log in, I can see all 3 UIDs listed.

It looks like she was identified as Sue Clapp

The big break came Feb. 2, when the St. Louis Post-Dispatch ran a brief story saying that police had traced receipts for a $150 sweater and a $300 luggage set found in the mystery woman's possession to two upscale stores near St. Louis.

A photo ran with the story. Clapp's friend Richard Lakas saw it, "knew it was Sue" and contacted Police Capt. Dave Rich in Vermont.

Then on Tuesday, the Vermont medical examiner's office made a positive identification from dental records.

"It was a long time coming," Rich said.

Clapp was a successful businesswoman who bought and sold repossessed houses in the St. Louis area when things began to go sour in the mid-1990s, Lakas said.

He called her "very well educated, motivated, strong-willed," and said she ate health foods and exercised.

She was divorced in January 1996. Rich said he had learned some business dealings had gone bad around the same time. Lakas wouldn't comment on that.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/021299/nat_LA0736.shtml#.Vu1-etIrIrg

Thank you! How sad noone was missing her & filed a missing persons report...

And there's no obit or anything. Lots of Clapp family in Missouri cemeteries on find a Grave, still no one comes to claim her?

And there's no obit or anything. Lots of Clapp family in Missouri cemeteries on find a Grave, still no one comes to claim her?

Yes, that is very sad.

It appears that the only people to pay their respects to her never really knew her.

Suicide woman was from Missouri
Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Lubbock, TX
2/12/1999
Still unknown, she was buried in a Vermont hillside cemetery in October, with townspeople taking up a collection to pay for a simple headstone.
(from SurfieTX's link in post #6)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991