OH - Christie Mullins, 14, Columbus, 23 Aug 1975 *killer died*

Question Nero, have you come across any similar crimes in the area around that time?

Margarita, there were other crimes in the area around that time. But I don't believe they were connected in any way to the Christie Mullins murder case.

The body of a 15 year old high school girl was found in a ditch along a road in suburban Reynoldsburg in September 1974. That murder is still unsolved.

The body of a 15 year old high school girl was found in the woods near Brookhaven High School in Columbus in November 1974. I remember that one very well. A man was arrested and jailed in early 1975 for that crime. He was convicted in June 1975 and is still in prison for that murder. That murder is probably 3 or 4 miles from where Christie Lynn Mullins was found murdered.

The body of an 17 year old high school girl was found in March 1975 in a ditch along a rural road in the eastern part of Franklin County. A man was arrested in 2012 for the 1975 murder and is now in prison for that crime. I don't know if the March 1975 murder is connected with the September 1974 murder.

These cold cases are soooooo challenging, with the lapse in time, as well as limited forensic tools back then that we have today...

So, skimming the article above, it appears he confessed?
http://www.columbusmonthly.com/June-2009/The-Trial-Jack-Carmenas-day-in-court-a-Part-1/

Was dna ever collected and retested?

Sorry if all this is above, I'm trying to cook and clean at the same time...maybe I should come back and read after my chores are done, lol.

These cold cases are soooooo challenging, with the lapse in time, as well as limited forensic tools back then that we have today...

So, skimming the article above, it appears he confessed?
http://www.columbusmonthly.com/June-2009/The-Trial-Jack-Carmenas-day-in-court-a-Part-1/

Was dna ever collected and retested?

I don't know if dna was ever collected and retested from this murder case.

Yes, it appeared that he confessed to the crime. I found two newspaper articles from the Google News Archive Search about his acquittal on the murder charge in December 1977.

Take a look at what the articles say why he confessed to the crime that he never committed in the first place. You wouldn't believe it.

Mentally Retarded Man Acquitted In Murder
Toledo Blade
Toledo, Ohio
Wednesday, December 21, 1977

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...wtPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=bQIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5840,4715432

Retarded Man Wins Murder Case
The News & Courier
Charleston, South Carolina
Wednesday, December 21, 1977

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...IJJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=wwsNAAAAIBAJ&pg=2059,5018585

I also found another link that gives details of his wrongful conviction from the Christie Lynn Mullins murder case.

http://forejustice.org/db/fc/Carmen--Jack-Allen.html

Looking at the railing in the photos, I don't know if even today it would be under watch by cameras. It's just a railing in front of the woods. It's not the parking lot or part of the store or anything that is generally watched and protected. I never would have thought of it if not for this case, but it really is a blind area. Although I'm sure it didn't seem that way at all to Christie since, while sitting there she could see the store, the parking lot, the road, other shoppers.

After I finished reading the article yesterday about Christie's murder, I was pulled away from my computer to watch the movie Life of Pi. What a double emotional whammy it was trying to digest both of these in one day!

A rumor that circulated relative to this case is that a neighbor (male witness - the one who called 911 after 'discovering' Christie's body in the woods) swam in the Broadmeadows pool with a naked Carol, Christie's 14 year old friend who supposedly received multiple phone calls from a radio DJ inviting her to a cheerleading contest, at midnight one night. I'm unclear about which night that may have happened but sounded as if it may have been the night before the crime occured. MOTIVE? Later, a somewhat credible witness (the mother of the female witness, who is the wife of the male witness) took the stand and said that, while in the car with both of the witnesses, Henry stated, "they would teach her a lesson" and/or "that would teach her to keep her damn mouth shut". One fact known is that Henry had a key to gain entrance to the pool. Did Christie feel it was wrong that Henry swam in the pool with an underage Carol after hours? Was she going to tell somebody after Carol told her? Or had she already told somebody? The writer pointed out that Carol's (16 at time of trial) demeanor on the stand was mature but odd. She seemed amused and appeared to be "holding back a grin" while she testified about her friend's horrible fate. She also stated she didn't know Christie very well.

Many people expressed being fearful of Henry and Tommy who are brothers. Henry is the male witness. Not much other info is revealed about Tommy such as where he lived or why people were afraid of him. A neighbor claimed that he saw cord similar to the cord found on the victim hanging in Henry's garage.

According to the victim's sister, Kim, Carol returned to the pool to pick up Christie before walking over to Woolco. Carol claimed that while walking with her little sister she met Christie on the sidewalk along the way, therefore she sent her sister back home. They never put Carol's sister on the stand to verify Carol's story. Christie was found wearing her bathing suit bottoms underneath her jeans. The coroner testified that there wasn't any evidence a rape occurred and that Christie was still a virgin (that would mean her hymen was still intact). In this case, rape wasn't the motive.

There are more discrepancies to contemplate. There's alot to digest.
I 100 percent suspect the male witness, Henry. The fact that they charged the handicapped man with this crime is scary and an example of why people may not always trust the justice system. Even though Jack Carmen was acquitted, after spending over two years locked up, the fact he was locked up in the first place is difficult to understand after combing over the facts of the case.

There is still so much more to ponder.

A few more discrepancies ~

The son of the female witness (Pam) and stepson of Henry, who was 10 at the time of the crime, 12 when he testified, said that what Henry and Pam testified to isn't what happened. He said his s-dad left the house around noon and was gone for at least 30 to 45 minutes the day Christie was murdered. He said they found Henry's sandal with a broken strap on the path leading up to where the body was found behind a tree. He testified that Henry picked Christie's comb up off the ground and threw it into the weeds where "nobody would find it". This young boy said he told his bio father and stepmom what happened not long after. His father said they feared for the young boy's life which is why they kept quiet for a long time. Poor kid.

And then, of course, there's the fact that the family coincidently arrived upon the crime scene for no logical reason whatsoever and preceeded to muck up the crime scene by adding their DNA all over the place. Pam checked Christie's pulse, Henry threw the 2x4 board used to bash Christie's head in that was still positioned on her face (???) and then he left his shirt over her face (so respectful, eh?) before going to Woolco to call the cops. Who goes to the store without wearing shoes? Henry does! He said he didn't wear shoes driving over to the store. They parked right where, according to Carol, Christie was last seen sitting on the railing. Imo, Carol knew something was going to happen to Christie and led her to that exact spot. Afterall, instead of going to Christie's house or looking for her back at the pool, Carol simply moved onto another friend's house without caring why Christie disappeared.

Their stories are unbelievable and I can't fathom how they passed LE's muster test, if they even had any at the time. I see why nero brought the case to our attention but have no clue what we can do about it. Even Barney Fife could see the light at the end of this case. It is so wrong. Now I'm in a complete tizzy. Ugh!

Do they still have the cord? The shirt? Anything? They should reopen this case for sure. Are Christie's parents still living? Her sister probably is. The whole thing sucks.

Thank you for letting me know that the first link isn't working. I found a new link to the Ohio Attorney General website to search Ohio cold cases. Type in Christie Mullins in the search field at the link and it'll take you to another link to view details about the cold case.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...nforcement/Cold-Case/Cold-Case-Search-Results

I believe that the phone call from the so called disc jockey was a prank phone call intended to lure the victim. I don't believe there was any kind of a sponsored public event on that day at the shopping center.

About the girl who received threatening phone calls after her court testimony, the Columbus news media reported that her parents contacted police and a 19 year old man was arrested for aggravated menacing and telephone harassment. It turned out that the father of the 19 year old man charged with the threatening phone calls was an attorney. I don't know if the calls stopped after the 19 year old man was arrested.

nero, all I get is a one line description that Christie was hit 3 to 4 times with a 2x4 causing her to expire. They offer a link to submit tips. Are they kidding? Get a detective to go over the case. Unbelievable. It's as if there was never an arrest, a trial or any other evidence gathered. I guess justice doesn't matter in exchange for her young life. Incredible. 1800 plus other unsolved homicides. Christie's should not remain unsolved. I need to go hug my dog in order to calm down.

Woe.be.gone, thank you for all of your information.

I had to confess, I am not too surprised to hear a few of these facts brought out.

I can say that, at the time, no one would have thought a young girl like Carol could lead her friend to harm. And then not be overcome by remorse when such a terrible thing happens. So, I understand them not doublechecking her.

The person I don't understand them looking into would be the male witness who wandered around the crime scene with his entire family.

I'm attaching two .pdf files of a newspaper article that was published in the Columbus Dispatch on Wednesday December 21, 1977.

The newspaper article is Christie's Murderer-Where Is He Now And Why?

The article has some very interesting information and it was written the day after the Christie Lynn Mullins murder trial had ended.

The article lambasted the police and prosecutors lack of interest in reopening the Christie Lynn Mullins murder investigation.

The article also echoed the public's opinion that the murder case has not been solved and that justice hasn't been served for Christie Lynn Mullins.

Attachments

• 0048.pdf
    575.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 0049.pdf
    689.3 KB · Views: 103
Looking at the railing in the photos, I don't know if even today it would be under watch by cameras. It's just a railing in front of the woods. It's not the parking lot or part of the store or anything that is generally watched and protected. I never would have thought of it if not for this case, but it really is a blind area. Although I'm sure it didn't seem that way at all to Christie since, while sitting there she could see the store, the parking lot, the road, other shoppers.

The railing looks like its a blind area to me too. Why would Christie agree to sit and wait there in the first place? My guess is because she was only 14 years old and trusted her friend. I think I might have told the 'friend' that I'm going along with her to Woolco. It seems like a setup to me but that doesn't mean Carol knew that Christie was going to be killed. Carol's demeanor on the stand was described as being odd and, from what I read, she didn't express sadness about what happened to Christie.

The railing looks like its a blind area to me too. Why would Christie agree to sit and wait there in the first place? My guess is because she was only 14 years old and trusted her friend. I think I might have told the 'friend' that I'm going along with her to Woolco. It seems like a setup to me but that doesn't mean Carol knew that Christie was going to be killed. Carol's demeanor on the stand was described as being odd and, from what I read, she didn't express sadness about what happened to Christie.

I don't think she realized how isolated it was because she could see the road, the parking lot, etc. Probably Carol told her they would cut through the woods and so it just seemed a convenient place to wait. I can see why she did it. It's just even now with cameras watching places (where they were few in number then and maybe zero in number in that shopping center), I'm not sure that rail would be watched. That's what made me think how odd of a place it was.

I wonder if she was grabbed from behind or if someone (who she may have thought was Carol) called her from the woods. She was most certainly set up whether Carol realized she was setting up her friend for MURDER, I don't know. It's impossible to say, but I sure hope she didn't intend any such thing. But, then why wouldn't she tell what she knew? Was she afraid?

The Columbus Dispatch newspaper on Sunday August 24, 1975 published the breaking news article about a body being found in the woods behind Woolco at Graceland Shopping Center.

The article reported that the victim was barefooted, her blue jeans were unzipped, and her halter top was pulled over her midriff.

The article described the murder suspect that police were looking for as a white male in his late teens, long black hair, wearing cutoff shorts, shirtless, and looked like he hadn’t shaven for several days. He was also described as 6 feet and thin, weighting 140 to 150 pounds.

The newspaper reported when the male eyewitness found the victim's body, he picked up the board that was lying across the victim's head and threw it into the woods.

When the male eyewitness went into the Woolco store to report the crime, store employees reported that the eyewitness was upset and pretty mad.

The newspaper also reported that the eyewitness and several Woolco employees started searching the area behind the store, but the article didn't say if they went into the dense woods behind the store.

Attachments

• 0003.pdf
    784.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 0004.pdf
    557.8 KB · Views: 74
In a Columbus Dispatch newspaper article published on Monday August 25, 1975, police admitted that they were no closer to solving the murder than they were shortly after her body was found.

Columbus Police released a composite sketch of the murder suspect that they were looking for.

The newspaper article also showed a map of where the crime took place.

The Franklin County Coroner reported that the victim died of a fractured skull and also claimed that there were no signs that the victim was sexually molested.

The article reported that the prank telephone caller spoke with an Appalachian accent.

Christie's father told reporters that his daughter never would gone willingly into the woods with a stranger.

A police spokesperson also told reporters that police did not have any recent complaints of molesters in the area where the murder took place.

Police planned to check the blood stained board for fingerprints but were doubtful that any good prints would be found on the board.

Attachments

• 0006.pdf
    861.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 0007.pdf
    704.5 KB · Views: 93
In a Columbus Dispatch newspaper article published on Monday August 25, 1975, police admitted that they were no closer to solving the murder than they were shortly after her body was found.

Columbus Police released a composite sketch of the murder suspect that they were looking for.

The newspaper article also showed a map of where the crime took place.

The Franklin County Coroner reported that the victim died of a fractured skull and also claimed that there were no signs that the victim was sexually molested.

The article reported that the prank telephone caller spoke with an Appalachian accent.

Christie's father told reporters that his daughter never would gone willingly into the woods with a stranger.

A police spokesperson also told reporters that police did not have any recent complaints of molesters in the area where the murder took place.

Police planned to check the blood stained board for fingerprints but were doubtful that any good prints would be found on the board.

That guard rail, in the photo. Where they were setting, is just a few feet away from where she was found yes?

When carol went inside to check the time, he could have just snuck up behind her and put a hand over her mouth and with his other arm wrapped around her waist, he could have just dragged to to where she was found.

That was suppose to be carol getting murdered that day not Christie.
It looks as if they did take the short cut through the woods, which is what he wanted because he was there waiting for her. But there were two not one so he waited. When carol left he made his move on Christie. Carol knew the killer from somewhere. And or he knew carol and got her number etc. But why would he want to kill carol that day, that week since he called all week. I wonder if something happened the week before that brought this about..........

YOUR archive documents are VERY much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time and posting them. It was good to see the composite stech and the body. THAT surprised me. I didn't think i would be seeing the body, which appeared to be not that far from where she was setting on the rail.

JUST A FYI...
THE ABOVE IS BASED ON THE THEORY THAT CAROL WAS THE INTENDED VICTIM AND NOT CHRISTIE. AS FAR AS CHRISTIE BEING SETUP FOR MURDER I HAVE NOT COME TO THAT POINT IN THE INVESTIGATION.

two witnesses reported seeing someone fitting the description riding a bicycle and another reported seeing possible match running past her house around the time the call was being made to police. Not so sure about the bicycle report, but the other with the man running by fitting the description. I like that one better.

That guard rail, in the photo. Where they were setting, is just a few feet away from where she was found yes?

Christie's body was found in the woods ¾ of a mile away from the store and the railing.

I think that be quite a distance for someone to drag her from where she was abducted to where she was found.

I see three possible scenarios here concerning what happen to Christie.

The first one is that Christie went into the woods with someone she knew.

The second one is that the suspect brandished a weapon and forced Christie to go into the woods.

The third one is that Christie got tired of waiting on Carol, and decided to go back home taking the shortcut through the woods by herself.

Not sure why but I'm unable to view the thumbnail links. I can google and find a list of every article available but they're not linked to the actual article, only titles.

Christie's body was found in the woods ¾ of a mile away from the store and the railing.

I think that be quite a distance for someone to drag her from where she was abducted to where she was found.

I see three possible scenarios here concerning what happen to Christie.

The first one is that Christie went into the woods with someone she knew.

The second one is that the suspect brandished a weapon and forced Christie to go into the woods.

The third one is that Christie got tired of waiting on Carol, and decided to go back home taking the shortcut through the woods by herself.

Yes, I did read that later, but it was to late to go back and edit my post about the 3/4 mile.

Is she still living?...No statue of limitation on murder. Since carol is no longer 14 would not be a bad idea to bring her back in for a polygraph.

If there is a cold case unit in this state I would see if anyone is assigned to this case.

Would like to see high school year books from 73-75 from carol and or Christie school. Just to see if anyone resembling the composite may be in there.

Yes, I did read that later, but it was to late to go back and edit my post about the 3/4 mile.

Is she still living?...No statue of limitation on murder. Since carol is no longer 14 would not be a bad idea to bring her back in for a polygraph.

If there is a cold case unit in this state I would see if anyone is assigned to this case.

Would like to see high school year books from 73-75 from carol and or Christie school. Just to see if anyone resembling the composite may be in there.

The male witness was only 24 or 25 years old when the murder was committed. I'd want to bring his former wife back first along with her son who testified at the trial. He was only 10 years old when Christie was murdered but 12 by the time he testified. The child's facts were different from what the grown-ups claimed happened that day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmalan
Back