GUILTY FL - Fred Laster, 16, found dismembered, Lake City, 5 June 1994 *youth pastor arrest*

If you go further north just past the interstate, to your right, there is an abandoned gas station. That is the one. My friend and I did some freelance investigating up there about almost a year ago. We found it to be in very poor condition and overrun by weeds. We were also able to go inside the building, but there was nothing of importance there. However, there is alot of woods back there. I do have pictures, but I will have to see if I still have them. Otherwise I can make a trip up there and snap some. As far as the bathtub decals, I think you are right about the Rubbermaid appliques, tatortot. And from what I am assuming (being I have not seen this torso and most likely will ever being that the Dale Earnhardt, Sr. Act is in play in Florida), the torso was not damaged other than possibly scrapes from being dragged to the dumpster and obvious blood stains. What we should know about the perp is, is that he barely had any strength in him or her to get the torso in the dumpster. So...this guy was either poor in shape or was a gaunt middle/old-aged person (50-70). but going back, I think there is a quaint possibility this could be my MP, Erik Patchin. I will be making contact with the CCSO to submit this tip. But I think that the body parts were cleverly hidden somewhere along the interstate, although there was an intense search for parts along I-10 west and east bound as well as south and north bound I-75. If this was a father and son issue, then the father could have easily buried parts in his back yard. There is really no telling, especially since there was a missing person (my MP) that went missing a week or so prior in Tallahassee and fits the description of the torso neck description. As mentioned before, the torso was clearly circumcised, so the deal breaker would be: was Patchin? My assumption would be because it was a popular proceedur in the 70's and 80's, sure. But you can't rule that out because there are also possibilities that he wasn't. Also, does Patchin have the distinguished mole on his chest? These are questions I may be able to get answers to tomorrow.

It is actually the first gas station on the right past the interstate going north.

Hi Jason... thanks for your input... I editted my post... Is it the correct gas station shown?

Thanks Jason:

In June, I suspect it would have started to getting light out at about 5 AM. The station closed at 10 PM so we can be pretty sure the event occurred after that anyway. Was the station across the street there then and, if so, do you know if it kept about the same hours?

Thanks Jason:

In June, I suspect it would have started to getting light out at about 5 AM. The station closed at 10 PM so we can be pretty sure the event occurred after that anyway. Was the station across the street there then and, if so, do you know if it kept about the same hours?

You know I thought about that, but the gas station looks fairly new to me, like maybe it has been there probably at least ten years now. I'm not sure if it was around in 1994. If so, it probably could have been a 24/7 gas station being that at the time the only stations to my knowledge was the BP station and the Joy America store south of the interstate heading toward Lake City. That Joy America store would also be the site of an America's Most Wanted profile of an unknown robber who shot and killed a store clerk there while she was closing in 2008. Also, I would doubt the sun would be up around 5AM. I would say about 6AM was sunrise, but I could always look up at past times on the weather channel's website.

Well here is my question to the people on this forum...do you think this torso, considering when it was discovered, could belong to Erik Patchin; who at one time was considered to be The Greatful Dead John Doe? He went missing May 24th, 1994 from Tallahassee, FL. The torso was found about nearly 2 weeks later on June 5th, 1994 in Lake City, FL. Believe it or not, Tallahassee is appx. 100 miles from Lake City via I-10. What could have happened was he may have had contacts in Lake City, got into some crazy stuff, and wound up getting murdered. His body was probably cut up in a "friends" house and strewn across I-10. In 1994, according to newspapers, each exit was checked along I-10 from Pensacola to Jacksonville and every exit on I-75 from Jasper to Ocala, FL. No sign.Rest areas were also checked. But the sides of the roads and the vast wooded areas along I-10 were never checked. In 1994, there was not technology like there is today to check wooded areas from the sky for human remains or missing people. So this should be taken under great consideration.

Well here is my question to the people on this forum...do you think this torso, considering when it was discovered, could belong to Erik Patchin; who at one time was considered to be The Greatful Dead John Doe? He went missing May 24th, 1994 from Tallahassee, FL. The torso was found about nearly 2 weeks later on June 5th, 1994 in Lake City, FL. Believe it or not, Tallahassee is appx. 100 miles from Lake City via I-10. What could have happened was he may have had contacts in Lake City, got into some crazy stuff, and wound up getting murdered. His body was probably cut up in a "friends" house and strewn across I-10. In 1994, according to newspapers, each exit was checked along I-10 from Pensacola to Jacksonville and every exit on I-75 from Jasper to Ocala, FL. No sign.Rest areas were also checked. But the sides of the roads and the vast wooded areas along I-10 were never checked. In 1994, there was not technology like there is today to check wooded areas from the sky for human remains or missing people. So this should be taken under great consideration.

Someone should at least check whether he has been considered. One would think that they would have checked him out, but you can't presume that they did. The 100 mile distance from Tallahassee is just far enough that he would probably be outside of the range of local missing persons that they would check out.

Someone should at least check whether he has been considered. One would think that they would have checked him out, but you can't presume that they did. The 100 mile distance from Tallahassee is just far enough that he would probably be outside of the range of local missing persons that they would check out.

I checked out the John Doe's profile on NamUs and the only person the Lake City '94 John Doe (being there is also a '78 John Doe as well) was considered to be was a missing 13 year old named Danny Jackson from Gainesville. I did alert the Columbia County Sheriffs Office on my find, and I am awaiting more information from the sheriffs office. I know, being this is one of the only cold cases in Lake City, this will be taken under heavy consideration. I actually encourage some of the people on here to call CCSO and tell Sheriff Mark Hunter and the investigating officer to heavily consider this find. I will be posting this story on America's Most Wanted forums tonight as well because I believe its time to bring new life into this case because I believe that this John Doe should be considered a match to MP Erik Patchin. Yes, the comparison between Patchin and TGD "Jason" Doe failed, but this could be a great possibility...a very great possibility!

I checked out the John Doe's profile on NamUs and the only person the Lake City '94 John Doe (being there is also a '78 John Doe as well) was considered to be was a missing 13 year old named Danny Jackson from Gainesville. I did alert the Columbia County Sheriffs Office on my find, and I am awaiting more information from the sheriffs office. I know, being this is one of the only cold cases in Lake City, this will be taken under heavy consideration. I actually encourage some of the people on here to call CCSO and tell Sheriff Mark Hunter and the investigating officer to heavily consider this find. I will be posting this story on America's Most Wanted forums tonight as well because I believe its time to bring new life into this case because I believe that this John Doe should be considered a match to MP Erik Patchin. Yes, the comparison between Patchin and TGD "Jason" Doe failed, but this could be a great possibility...a very great possibility!

Hello Jason - you're enthusiasm is inspiring, and I thank you for sharing it here along with your insights.

Try not to be discouraged, if you don't get the confirmation/denial you are seeking in this case. That happens, sometimes. It can be extremely frustrating, especially when you've identified very simple tests for elimination of your proposed match, as you have here; circumcised or not? mole or no mole? Be prepared for the possibility that you might not EVER receive official yea or nay, and don't take that personally if it happens to you - because it has happened to me & to many others, with respect to many different cases. And even if your insight doesn't ultimately lead to resolution of THIS case, (I'm not saying it won't), your enthusiasm, your insightful thinking, your caring and willingness to get involved is all very much needed - and appreciated!

I've puzzled over this case many times, myself, particularly as to what meaning the dismemberment might have.

It could indicate a perp with a "kink" for such acts, such as
Daniel Conahan Jr. He mutilated his victims, but not in the same manner. Conahan only removed their genitals, and this victims was apparently intact in that area, so he seems an unlikely perp for this case.

Sometimes dismemberment is simply an effort to avoid leaving evidence which could identify the killer. Natural to assume that might be the case here, but...if that was the motivation, wouldn't the killer have taken greater care to clean up the torso's dump site? Not only did they leave that site an obvious bloody mess, apparently, but left all kinds of potentially identifying clues to their own identity, as well. Which seems very odd to me.

I've considered, that the person disposing of the torso in this manner might have been much more concerned to conceal the identity of the victim, than to conceal their own identity. Removing head, hands, feet - those are the key portions of a body for identifying the victim in a reasonable amount of time. (unless the torso was tattooed or something, not the case here).

So - what circumstances could possibly lead to a killer of a young male being more concerned to hide the identity of the deceased than their own identity? All I can come up with is something like: if someone was being paid a lot of money from a trust or government agency to care for a young invalid, perhaps, and wanted to continue getting paid for that but without the trouble of actually doing it, they might pay some lowlife to murder their ward and dispose of the remains in pieces spread so far apart that it might take decades for enough remains to surface for anyone to figure out that "young Master X" is actually deceased. Sheer speculation, of course.

Hello Jason - you're enthusiasm is inspiring, and I thank you for sharing it here along with your insights.

Try not to be discouraged, if you don't get the confirmation/denial you are seeking in this case. That happens, sometimes. It can be extremely frustrating, especially when you've identified very simple tests for elimination of your proposed match, as you have here; circumcised or not? mole or no mole? Be prepared for the possibility that you might not EVER receive official yea or nay, and don't take that personally if it happens to you - because it has happened to me & to many others, with respect to many different cases. And even if your insight doesn't ultimately lead to resolution of THIS case, (I'm not saying it won't), your enthusiasm, your insightful thinking, your caring and willingness to get involved is all very much needed - and appreciated!

I've puzzled over this case many times, myself, particularly as to what meaning the dismemberment might have.

It could indicate a perp with a "kink" for such acts, such as
Daniel Conahan Jr. He mutilated his victims, but not in the same manner. Conahan only removed their genitals, and this victims was apparently intact in that area, so he seems an unlikely perp for this case.

Sometimes dismemberment is simply an effort to avoid leaving evidence which could identify the killer. Natural to assume that might be the case here, but...if that was the motivation, wouldn't the killer have taken greater care to clean up the torso's dump site? Not only did they leave that site an obvious bloody mess, apparently, but left all kinds of potentially identifying clues to their own identity, as well. Which seems very odd to me.

I've considered, that the person disposing of the torso in this manner might have been much more concerned to conceal the identity of the victim, than to conceal their own identity. Removing head, hands, feet - those are the key portions of a body for identifying the victim in a reasonable amount of time. (unless the torso was tattooed or something, not the case here).

So - what circumstances could possibly lead to a killer of a young male being more concerned to hide the identity of the deceased than their own identity? All I can come up with is something like: if someone was being paid a lot of money from a trust or government agency to care for a young invalid, perhaps, and wanted to continue getting paid for that but without the trouble of actually doing it, they might pay some lowlife to murder their ward and dispose of the remains in pieces spread so far apart that it might take decades for enough remains to surface for anyone to figure out that "young Master X" is actually deceased. Sheer speculation, of course.

I appreciate that. Thank you for replying.

I am going to further my exploration on other similar crimes such as this on the Doe Network's website. The FDLE Missing Persons Clearinghouse does not give great detail into the description of the crime. They usually state bluntly that the "missing person was found here and there". A serial maime could be a possibility. I have a mind to visit the sheriff's office in person to discuss this. I am also going to check NAMUS for any other updates as well. I also encourage anyone who wishes to privately discuss this with me email me at polomosianguard@gmail.com!

Rule Outs to Namus #757

Erik Patchin
Danny Randall Jackson

Thanks for the info. Just found out yesterday afternoon. Its a little like "DAMN!" but at least Erik could still be out there....as for the victim's parents who could be wondering where their child is, that is what I think. I thank you BEssie.

This may or may not be important, but the flower decals suggest the body was dismembered in a home and not a motel. I can't see them being used in a motel bathtub that had to be frequently scrubbed out, and it's been a while since I've stayed in a motel, but don't most motel tubs have built-in anti-skid bottoms anyway, like a pattern of bars with a sandpaper-like texture?

Maybe whoever was dismembering the body realized there would be blood under the stickers so he pried them up and disposed of them with the egg-crate mattress and other stuff.

Useless pop-culture info: The flowers came in various decorating colors and were self-stick so they could be arranged on the floor of the tub, and they were textured to provide some grip so bathers wouldn't fall. I think they were a very Seventies thing.

No guarantee these are the exact type, but here's what I'm talking about (scroll down): http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Rubbermaid-Bathtub-Appliques-Gold-Flowers-7090-NIP-/380351205313

I stayed at a motel once that had flower shaped anti slip stickers. It was a very cheap and seedy motel, however. Thank goodness I can afford better hotels now.

One morning, on a warm summer day in June 1994, a woman who was traveling from the south to Lake City, Ohio (ironic), decided to pull in to a local gas station outside of Lake City, FL., in what would be considered the Five Points area. She knew her dog needed to go for a walk, so she put the dog on a leash and went for a walk around the gas station. What happens next is grizzly.

As she approaches the back of the building, she notices something very wierd. She sees something that looks like a human torso. Unsure, she approaches the suspicious body part, and the dog goes insane. As she got closer, she could see blood and more detailed looks of the torso. She alerts the clerk at the store, who proceeds to call 911. The store would be closed for business until after FDLE, the Columbia County Sheriffs Office and the Medical Examiner could finish their reports and remove the torso. Also discovered at the crime scene were ginsu knives, and egg carton matress, and a Rubbermaid Anti-Slip Tub Padding, all covered in blood. Also discovered were a pair of bloody gloves. The arms, legs, and head had to have been cut off using these knives.

I have been researching this case since I first heard about it a couple of years ago. Just recently, I updated this case to attempt to identify this John Doe with Erik Patchin of Tallahassee, FL., who disappeared a week or two earlier. The CODIS came back negative. So now I am in an attempt to identify this person, and I need the public's help with this. I am planning to form an independent volunteer task team to help me do this. I am interested in anyone from around the country to help me put a name to this person. This is a case that hits home to alot of folks here, right next to the rape and murder of Kimberly Leach of Lake City by Ted Bundy. Who can help me do this? I am asking for assistance. And If you need any kind of informaton on the case, I have several links:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/mcicsear...3134&case_nbr= (FDLE MISSING PERSONS FLYER)

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase639.html (DOE NETWORK PROFILE)

https://identifyus.org/cases/757 (IDENTIFYUS PROFILE)

http://columbiacrimestoppers.net/unsolved.aspx (COLUMBIA COUNTY CRIME STOPPERS STORY)

I know there are also articles available via microfilm at Florida Gateway College in Lake City, FL and at George Smathers Library at the University of Florida-Gainesville from the Lake City Reporter. I am asking for EVERYONE'S help!

NamUs lists the height at 5'8 and 109 lbs and the Columbia County site lists height as 5'5 - 5'11 and 170 to 205 lbs.

That is quite a difference....which one is right?

NamUs lists the height at 5'8 and 109 lbs and the Columbia County site lists height as 5'5 - 5'11 and 170 to 205 lbs.

That is quite a difference....which one is right?

Those are estimates conducted by both agencies. Truthfully, because no legs were recovered, there could be no true measurement as to how tall this John Doe was. There was a report done by FSU's Osteo-pathic Office in 1995 that did estimate between 5'6"-6'0. Truthfully, until a name is put to this body, the hieght estimates will not help. However, we do know that this John Doe was at least 5'5" at the shortest due to the size of the torso.

I do appreciate the question MissSunshine...can I count you in to help?

Oh and may I add, you could definitely dismiss the 175-201 lbs. estimate on the pounds. Thats totally inaccurate, as from the description a buddy of mine told me at CCSO, the torso was slim-ish, about average built.

The Columbia CrimeStoppers website says:
The hair on the back of what was left of the neck was light brown, grown out about ¼”, bleached on the top.

Does that mean that the hair on his head was bleached?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back