How the defense team used social media to their advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, obviously, that is what I was saying. I don't expect the Admins would know who everyone is on their respective sites. I just think it verifies all of our suspicions when we were commenting on JB constantly reading his blackberry, DS constantly on her computer, Rosalie Bollins or whatever her name was also sat on her computer all day right in front of the camera. Etc. IMO, MOO, etc. We suspected our daily trial threads were being monitored and they most likely were in real-time, and most likely a few of the newer members here who were posting were of Singer's minions. IMO, MOO, etc. And I am sure some are still here relentlessly posting trying to sway opinions. I don't expect Admin to know who they are. IMO, MOO, etc.

I guess we know why Dorothy sort of over reacted to the media video taping her laptop screen .. I think it was more to protect what she was doing from the media ...
I read somewhere of a state that's thinking of having NO internet in the courtroom and no cell phones ... I would vote for that ...
I think there should be a limit to having people outside the defense team feeding them information without formally being introduced to the court as a part of the defense ... I think it gives one side and advantage over the other side when it's not disclosed ... JMO

I guess we know why Dorothy sort of over reacted to the media video taping her laptop screen .. I think it was more to protect what she was doing from the media ...
I read somewhere of a state that's thinking of having NO internet in the courtroom and no cell phones ... I would vote for that ...
I think there should be a limit to having people outside the defense team feeding them information without formally being introduced to the court as a part of the defense ... I think it gives one side and advantage over the other side when it's not disclosed ... JMO

Yeah, and all the manipulation they do is going to set criminals back on the streets to endanger society. What some people will do to fatten their pockets with green backs is just appalling.
What ever state is thinking of forbidding internet and cells phone in the courtroom has it right. All states should be thinking that way.

And why the DT wanted their table moved. Sheesh! I agree, take computers, blackberries, etc. out of the courtroom.

And why the DT wanted their table moved. Sheesh! I agree, take computers, blackberries, etc. out of the courtroom.

IMO, there is something totally unethical about using these tools of social media to determine popular opinion for the purpose of guaging how their presentation of a case is either progressing in their favor or not. To me, it's the equivalent of opening a window, sticking your index finger in your mouth for moisture and pointing it into the air to see which way the wind is blowing. It has nothing to do with the truth which is what our system is supposed to be all about but IMO more in favor in the lack of it. It is dangerous and needs to be addressed. What seems popular, especially due to erroneous claims is clearly an abuse of what the courtroom and its' function is.

IMO, there is something totally unethical about using these tools of social media to determine popular opinion for the purpose of guaging how their presentation of a case is either progressing in their favor or not. To me, it's the equivalent of opening a window, sticking your index finger in your mouth for moisture and pointing it into the air to see which way the wind is blowing. It has nothing to do with the truth which is what our system is supposed to be all about but IMO more in favor in the lack of it. It is dangerous and needs to be addressed. What seems popular, especially due to erroneous claims is clearly an abuse of what the courtroom and its' function is.

It will be hard to keep such tools out of the court room. Since the trial is televised , DT can still get the same info without gadgets in the court room from such outfits, alas with some delay. At lunch time after the morning session and at night after the afternoon session.
What bothers me more is that only one side(DT) is apparently using these new very effective tools.

It will be hard to keep such tools out of the court room. Since the trial is televised , DT can still get the same info without gadgets in the court room from such outfits, alas with some delay. At lunch time after the morning session and at night after the afternoon session.
What bothers me more is that only one side(DT) is apparently using these new very effective tools.

BBM - Of course, it bothers me also but, it you think about it, the DT side are the only side that has a need for this type of manipulation of justice.

The playing field needs to be leveled here. If the elimination of live TV airings of the trial is part of that, so be it. If it becomes law at some point that such outfits cannot be used, so be it. These new very effective tools do not belong in or around the courtroom because they contradict what the purpose of the trial is IMO. If they are accepted, everyone may as well just stay home, tune in, call in your vote for the verdict and call it a day. It's dangerous.

I agree, it is unethical, manipulative, dishonest, and dangerous. One-sided, tilting the scales of justice toward the DT, and in favor of the very ones who are the defendants. How safe does that make me feel? I am a law-abiding grammy, and glad I'm not out and about that much anymore.

Yes, obviously, that is what I was saying. I don't expect the Admins would know who everyone is on their respective sites. I just think it verifies all of our suspicions when we were commenting on JB constantly reading his blackberry, DS constantly on her computer, Rosalie Bollins or whatever her name was also sat on her computer all day right in front of the camera. Etc. IMO, MOO, etc. We suspected our daily trial threads were being monitored and they most likely were in real-time, and most likely a few of the newer members here who were posting were of Singer's minions. IMO, MOO, etc. And I am sure some are still here relentlessly posting trying to sway opinions. I don't expect Admin to know who they are. IMO, MOO, etc.

..she was in touch with them in 'real time'...

http://www.trialconsultants.com/

Singer: We sent comments constantly to [defense attorneys] Jose [Baez] and Dorothy [Clay Sims]. They had to integrate the comments into the trial and think fast, and they geared their case toward that.

( i'm sure that's who baez was texting at the podium, when ashton was reprimanded for calling him on it...)

..she also did it 'pro-bono'.

..and now look who will be on CNN for the conrad murray trial..

..i wonder whose idea it was to push for a sequestered jury in that one...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-me-conrad-murray-20110820,0,7967899.story

Arguing that the Casey Anthony trial in Florida exposed a dangerous new order in TV coverage of high-profile cases, lawyers for Michael Jackson's doctor have demanded a sequestered jury for his upcoming trial.

BBM - Of course, it bothers me also but, it you think about it, the DT side are the only side that has a need for this type of manipulation of justice.

The playing field needs to be leveled here. If the elimination of live TV airings of the trial is part of that, so be it. If it becomes law at some point that such outfits cannot be used, so be it. These new very effective tools do not belong in or around the courtroom because they contradict what the purpose of the trial is IMO. If they are accepted, everyone may as well just stay home, tune in, call in your vote for the verdict and call it a day. It's dangerous.

It is almost like sci fi, except it is real now. It is like a whole bunch of brains , all with different expertise, all wired/linked together like a gigantic multiple brain creature. Straight from the old Outer Limits series.

"I've spent 32 years listening to people's reactions to trial stimulus, but it's never been anything like this," Singer said. "This whole case was driven by social media. We really tapped into people's minds and I think it's a tool that should be used by defense and prosecution."

Danielle Tavernier of the Orange-Osceola State Attorney's Office said their prosecutors use social media sites to locate witnesses, but do not hire jury consultants.

"It's really a question of cost. We do not have the resources to spend time reviewing social media," Tavernier said. "We have other cases to prosecute, but maybe it's something that could develop in the future."

-----------if the defense is going to be doing it-----and they are-----the prosecution really has no choice but to get in on it too..

..i can't count how many times on the forums posters were "screaming" at the state-------call this person !!! ask them this question !!! and here's why you should !!!

..cheney whined on and on about the state having "unlimited resources!" compared to poor ol' them----(boo hoo hoo)-----now we come to find out, the defense not only had the armada sitting over at the defense table, AND their over flow sitting in the front row-------they also had dozens!! of people on the other side of their laptop screens / blackberrys--- aiding them too!

..the state had LDB, JA, FG and a couple of assistants----the playing field has to be fair.

"I've spent 32 years listening to people's reactions to trial stimulus, but it's never been anything like this," Singer said. "This whole case was driven by social media. We really tapped into people's minds and I think it's a tool that should be used by defense and prosecution."

Danielle Tavernier of the Orange-Osceola State Attorney's Office said their prosecutors use social media sites to locate witnesses, but do not hire jury consultants.

"It's really a question of cost. We do not have the resources to spend time reviewing social media," Tavernier said. "We have other cases to prosecute, but maybe it's something that could develop in the future."

-----------if the defense is going to be doing it-----and they are-----the prosecution really has no choice but to get in on it too..

..i can't count how many times on the forums posters were "screaming" at the state-------call this person !!! ask them this question !!! and here's why you should !!!

..cheney whined on and on about the state having "unlimited resources!" compared to poor ol' them----(boo hoo hoo)-----now we come to find out, the defense not only had the armada sitting over at the defense table, AND their over flow sitting in the front row-------they also had dozens!! of people on the other side of their laptop screens / blackberrys--- aiding them too!

..the state had LDB, JA, FG and a couple of assistants----the playing field has to be fair.
[/B

bbm
Just woke up read your post and I share the same feelings as you do.
I want to know where the initial $200,000 went more than anything now.
The DF cried broke when in reality the had plenty of manpower and technology helping them all along.
I guess it takes a village to set a felon free.
Maybe the whole issue of this case being driven by social media would be moot if JB agreed to a gag order. This is exactly the way he wanted it played out.

This seems like a chess game being played out between DT and the States. What suggestions would we have to the State to level the playing field. Would a change in the jury help with this. If we had professional jurys or some kind of mandatory educational program in place that would require a juror to take even a short course before sitting on a case. It is pretty interesting that JB needed all this help to win his case. It wasn't bad enough that the judge had to guide him through the trial, now we have this manipulation of mindsets of jurors to contend with. Do you believe if the jury had a higher standard of education or profession required their verdict would have been different? This country requires a Judge, DT and States Attorney to present a case but then leaves the decision to a coach that can read people. I'm not saying a coach lacks the knowledge to sit on a jury, what I'm asking is with the availablity of the internet, smart phones etc. there has been a direct effect on the jury then would it be fair to say we should look to our system to level the field by raising the standards by which we choose our jurors?

Computers are fine, just remove the internet access.... Computers do serve a purpose in holding images, documents and other evidence that can be put on a large screen. Then you also have the law library stuff that can be held on a central server..

Keep the computers in the courtroom, just remove the internet.

Computers are fine, just remove the internet access.... Computers do serve a purpose in holding images, documents and other evidence that can be put on a large screen. Then you also have the law library stuff that can be held on a central server..

Keep the computers in the courtroom, just remove the internet.

I should have rephrased that. Yes, computers, but they do not need internet access. Thanks.

Now that we are oh so aware of how intensely the DT used social media and "blogs" to their advantage during the trial, it is obvious to me that this effort is still going on, not necessarily by the DT, but possibly by others, to try rehab certain people, including but not limited to the Felon, and go over and over and bring up things that have been rehashed 5,000 times, to try to sway current overwhelming negative opinions. Some of it appears quite transparent to me, my opinion only....... IMO, MOO, etc.

On Sunday night, Geraldo made reference to the Hispanic National Bar Assn upcoming meeting and wished Jose good luck.

Then in Today's News Thread, there is an article featured that shows Baez as one of the guest speakers.

After my WTH reaction, I looked up the agenda and this is what I found.

Oh I see - it will not let me copy it - okay - he is one of a three panel speakers on using social media to pick a jury - he will have half an hour to speak and answer questions. The breakfast is from 8:00am to 9:30. LOL - hope he's up first - we know how well he does first thing in the morning.

Wonder what his social media experts thinks about him hogging this "glory"?

On Sunday night, Geraldo made reference to the Hispanic National Bar Assn upcoming meeting and wished Jose good luck.

Then in Today's News Thread, there is an article featured that shows Baez as one of the guest speakers.

Oh I see - it will not let me copy it - okay - he is one of a three panel speakers on using social media to pick a jury - he will have half an hour to speak and answer questions. The breakfast is from 8:00am to 9:30. LOL - hope he's up first - we know how well he does first thing in the morning.

..i would think that they're totally fine with it-----after all he'll mention them ----"trial consultants / amy singer" by name and give her even more free publicity.

..the pro-bono on the kc case has paid off for her already---cnn 'snapped amy singer up' as one of their people for the upcoming HUGE conrad murray trial.

I am sure they love it. Means more business for them. I find it typical that those outfits refer to a jury selection as deselecting a jury.
All based on quickly analyzing ( by experts) the prospective juror responses, bios and even the individual Facebook/MySpace entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine