OH - Angela Leet, 29, shot to death, Niles, 24 Nov 2007

Melly

Reaction score
I went to high school for a year with this guy. I remember when he was arrested for firebombing one of his ex-girlfriend's house. :(

Man arrested in wife’s death

-Tribune Chronicle

NILES — A city man has been arrested after police said he gunned down his wife of less than a year while neighbors looked on Saturday night.

Daniel A. Leet, 29, 1509 Difford Drive, was in the Trumbull County Jail Sunday, awaiting arraignment on charges he killed his 29-year-old wife, Angela S. Court Leet.

Residents of the quiet Niles neighborhood watched as Angela Leet was shot three times with a shotgun at 10:14 p.m. Saturday, police said.

Angela Leet suffered three wounds from shotgun blasts: one to the back and two to her neck and face, said Niles police Capt. Ken Criswell. She was found dead on the lawn in front of the couple’s well-kept white ranch home.

“I heard two loud explosions, just after 10 p.m., and I wondered what was that,” said neighbor Charles Callahan. He went to check on his wife, who was watching TV in the bedroom, and then heard a third explosion.

“I looked out the window and saw the men from the two houses next to me arguing in the street, and I thought, “I don’t want to be involved in that,’” Callahan said. “Then the police came, and I knew it was something serious.”

Criswell said a neighbor rushed outside and tackled Leet in the street, and held him until police arrived six minutes after the initial calls.

Joseph Keney’s sons, ages 11 and 14, were playing with toy cars with a friend in their Difford Drive home when they heard a series of explosions. Then, Keney ran outside.

“He ran outside and he tackled Danny,” the 11-year-old said about his father.

more at link above

Holy cow Melly, I didn't know you lived that close to me. I 'knew' Angela, as in I know who she was. Met her in passing. She went by Angie. I don't know why it didn't occur to me (again) to post about it here.... probably because with the crimes that happen close to home (in several ways) there's enough real life people to talk about it to.

Here's the article from the Vindicator, with some more details:
http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/315486556196669.php

Holy cow Melly, I didn't know you lived that close to me. I 'knew' Angela, as in I know who she was. Met her in passing. She went by Angie. I don't know why it didn't occur to me (again) to post about it here.... probably because with the crimes that happen close to home (in several ways) there's enough real life people to talk about it to.

Here's the article from the Vindicator, with some more details:
http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/315486556196669.php
I don't live there anymore, but I grew up in Warren and lived in Niles for a year. I'm sure I've seen Angela before, but definitely remember Dan. There have been several stories about this in the Tribune. One of the guys that tackled him was interviewed for today's paper.

Neighbor who tackled gunman shares his story
By AMANDA SMITH-TEUTSCH Tribune Chronicle

NILES — Joseph Keney doesn’t think he’s a hero.

‘‘There was nothing brave about it,’’ Keney said of tackling a neighbor after he saw him shoot his wife in the face as she was lying on the lawn.

Keney said he held down Daniel Leet until police arrived six minutes after the first shots rang out, preventing Leet from turning the shotgun to his own head.

Angela Leet, 29, was shot three times with a double barrel shotgun. Daniel Leet, 29, faces a charge of murder and is in Trumbull County Jail on $500,000 bond.

Talking Wednesday from his Difford Drive home, Keney said he was tired Saturday night from a long day of working in the garage. Keney’s wife, Kelly, already was in bed and Joseph Keney was dressed for bed and relaxing by playing a video game at 10:14 p.m. when they heard gunfire.

Kelley Keney said, ‘‘I heard the shots and I called out to Joe, ‘Check and see what he’s up to now.’ ’’

Joe Keney pulled on his shirt and shoes and went outside. He rounded the hedge and saw Angela Leet lying on the ground, shot and not moving.

‘‘In that split second, coming around the hedge, I saw him shoot her again,’’ he said. ‘‘And then he went like he was going to shoot himself.’’​

...more at link above

Good, I'm glad he didn't get to cheat justice by killing himself!!! I get so sick of these chicken men who kill their wives & family then kill themselves. Letting him live to face what he's got coming in the here and now gives me some satifaction. My prayers to this woman's family. Apparently it wasn't something new for him to abuse his wife from the neighbors comment.

Good, I'm glad he didn't get to cheat justice by killing himself!!! I get so sick of these chicken men who kill their wives & family then kill themselves. Letting him live to face what he's got coming in the here and now gives me some satifaction. My prayers to this woman's family. Apparently it wasn't something new for him to abuse his wife from the neighbors comment.

I had the opposite thought - good guy risked his life to keep bad guy from killing himself. Now good guy gets to have his taxpaying money drained for someone to defend bad guy. I am very glad good guy didn't get shot in the process!

Plea made in Leet murder case

WARREN -- A 30-year-old Niles man pleaded guilty Tuesday afternoon to aggravated murder and was sentenced to 28-years to life in prison in connection with the shotgun killing of his wife nearly a year ago.

Daniel Leet told Common Pleas Judge Andrew Logan he still loved his wife and didnt mean for it to happen as he took the plea immediately before opening statements were set in his trial.

Logan sentenced Leet to 25 years for the murder and an additional three years for a firearm specification since the defendant used two shotguns and three shots to gun down his wife Angela, 29, in the driveway of their Difford Drive home in Niles on Nov. 24.

..a little more at link above with interesting comments in the comments section....

It really ticks me off that the judicial system places so little value on the human life. He got 25 yrs! Casey Anthony goes to a hearing tomorrow for stealing those checks from her girlfriend. She can get up to 65 yrs for that!! Is there not something wrong with this picture?

This guy still loves his wife...I'm sure she would be glad to know that! He must have had one heck of a temper. Assulted someone...probably that girlfriend...and then the charges were withdrawn...she must have refused to testify. Then he firebombs her home! I'm not surprised that killing his wife was his next step. He should have gotten LWOP.

It really ticks me off that the judicial system places so little value on the human life. He got 25 yrs! Casey Anthony goes to a hearing tomorrow for stealing those checks from her girlfriend. She can get up to 65 yrs for that!! Is there not something wrong with this picture?

This guy still loves his wife...I'm sure she would be glad to know that! He must have had one heck of a temper. Assulted someone...probably that girlfriend...and then the charges were withdrawn...she must have refused to testify. Then he firebombs her home! I'm not surprised that killing his wife was his next step. He should have gotten LWOP.

I agree the judicial system needs to be fixed. Women and children do not appear to be valued in this Country. That's why child molesters receive such little time.

:clap:
SNIPPED: "It really ticks me off that the judicial system places so little value on the human life. He got 25 yrs! Casey Anthony goes to a hearing tomorrow for stealing those checks from her girlfriend. She can get up to 65 yrs for that!! Is there not something wrong with this picture?..."

something is dreadfully wrong in our society. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back