Motive: The Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Use this thread to hash out your ideas about the truck, and whether stealing it was the motive for the crime. The post I've copied here provides a good starting point.

Hey All, New here but have been following the case since it started and have been reading these treads almost non stop since yesterday and just got around now to registering. After reading most of the posts I thought I would share some info about the truck it self that may be of interest to some, I am a Dodge (Cummins Diesel) nut and know pretty much everything about them from 1989 when the Cummins diesel was first shoe horned under the hood right up to the current models which I actually just bought a few months ago.

Unlike any other make or model of truck these Cummin's powered trucks are different in that there are major motor changes in certain half years which can, and does make them very desirable. Here is a run down of some changes thru the years

1989-was the introduction of the 5.9L Cummins to the Dodge Trucks
1993.5 was the intro introduction to inline "P-pump" (diesel injection pump and is the most desirable of all the fuel systems)(this change was do to the EPA for emissions requirements)
1994 was the introduction of the new body style 2nd Generation trucks which still ran the "P-Pump" until 1998
1998-the body style stayed the same but they introduced the Quad Cab (4 doors instead of 2) This is the most rare of all Dodge Cummins trucks having the "quad cab" and the P-Pump and if you are lucky enough to have a 5 speed manual truck, that truck is known to all diesel nuts as the "holly grail" as the horsepower was increased for that 1/2 a year if it had a 5-speed manual transmission.
1998.5 was the introduction of a very undesirable injection pump called the VP44)(this change was do to the EPA for emissions requirements) the truck still had the 2nd Generation body
2003- was the change to the 3rd Generation body (the style of TB's truck) and again due to emissions changes the motor had a fuel system change to a "common rail, high pressure injection system. (there was issues in the first few model years of this generation with the drivetrain not holding up to the power of the motor and the later years are by far the most desirable)
2007.5-although the truck still had the 3rd Generation body, the entire motor was changed to something all new due to emission changes yet again. This new motor was the 6.7L Cummins Turbo diesel and had MANY MANY issues of the motor because of the emissions equipment of the truck and is probably the least desirable Cummins powered dodge trucks of all time.
2010-brought the current 4th Generation body style and a very revamped fuel/emissions system.

I am almost 100% sure that TB's truck was a 5.9L Cummins Diesel Powered 2007 Dodge just by the looks of the decals and minor appearance tweaks that were made that half year. That would make TB's truck one of the most desirable of all Cummins powered trucks due to the lack of emissions and if by chance his truck was a 6-speed manual transmission truck...it would be even more rare and even more desirable.
As soon as I heard the news about TB going missing and hearing the circumstances I honestly believed that his truck was stolen and was either being shipped to Europe or to Australia (every time I have put one of these Dodge Cummins trucks on Auto Trader I have received more calls from those to continents than I did from all of Ontario! and it is very well known that there is a HUGE theft ring of these trucks being stolen and shipped overseas and even more for the most desirable trucks such as those 1998 trucks or the 2007 trucks! I have heard of people paying 100k for these trucks in Europe and even more in Australia.....I still have a hunch that DM quite easily could have had connections in those rings and being a "Cummins guy" him self (his red truck was a 5.9 Cummins) he would know a thing or two about them. It is quite possible that the other truck DM and MS took for the test drive the day before was non a 2007 but a 2007.5 (the LE did say that the previous test drive was a newer model!) and if that truck wasn't on there hit list than it was no use going any further with it and they started to look elsewhere!

I am sure if this theory was true they had a chance to make some major fast money and would only have had to get TB out of the truck and a quick short trip to the container loading docks along the lake....TB being the guy he was and taking pride of his belongings probably put up a fight and that's where he met his fate.

As far as a few other answers to a few posts on here....
-These dodge trucks only have a bench seat in the rear...no bucket seats although the seat does flip up giving access to storage under the seat.

-As far as the incinerator goes...although it would need power to run the blowers and thermostat, the amount of watt's required to run it would be very minimal and there are VERY VERY quite gas generators available such as ones you will see RV's having that make next to no noise. With this combination, you would have a hard time hearing it run from even a few hundred feet away...put a wooded area into the mix and that distance would become even shorter!

Thanks for all the great info previous to this and lets hope an end to this madness happens soon and all those involved are behind bars!

RyeGuy#1

About the ads of the truck.

It is known that there were two ads: at Kijiji and Auto Trader. The police informed that the ad was palce on Kijiji on April 28 ( Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Canada -Timothy Bosma, 32, Hamilton Ontario, 6 May 2013 - #1 ).

Looking through Google search for a link to the truck, I came that the truck was advertised already on April 15. Google search terms: "2007 Dodge Power Ram 3500 Pickup Truck hamilton"

2007 Dodge Power Ram 3500 Pickup Truck ... - Hamilton - Kijiji
hamilton.kijiji.ca › Hamilton › cars & vehicles › cars & trucks‎
Apr 28, 2013 – 5.9 litre. short box, extended cab. gray cloth interior. new, upgraded transmission. new brakes. no longer need as also selling camper. mostly ...

2007 Dodge Power Ram 3500 Pickup Truck ... - Hamilton - Kijiji
hamilton.kijiji.ca › Hamilton › cars & vehicles › cars & trucks‎
Apr 15, 2013 – 5.9l diesel, extended cab short box dutchman camper for sale as well $6200. Read & reply to this Hamilton classified ad free.

Both ads are gone now and not cached.

There is a Toronto truck too:
"2007 Dodge Power Ram 3500 Pickup Truck - City of ... - Kijiji Ontario
ontario.kijiji.ca › ... › City of Toronto › cars & vehicles › cars & trucks‎
Apr 21, 2013 – this is a very straight forward truck clean and perfect condition brand new myers power angle v plow new transmission new tires. will consider ..."

There is other cached webpage which gives an idea about the mileage of the truck. It has "POLICE NEED YOUR HELP LOCATING THIS MAN AND TRUCK AND !!!" too.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...Zram3500QQCatIdZ174+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

2007 Dodge Power Ram 3500 Pickup Truck
5.9 litre. Short box, extended cab. Gray cloth interior. New, upgraded transmission. New brakes. No longer need as also selling camper. Mostly highway kilometers, daily driver.
170000 km | Automatic

Asking price was 24 000.

Not for me it doesnt. I dont know how to do a screen shot or I would!
Is it empty for anyone else?

Mine even shows pics

I also found the same cached version of the ad, and mine comes up looking the same as the link you posted (pics and all).

This is interesting, as I'd never seen the Kijiji ad before. There was some question in another thread whether TB had his phone number accessible in the Kijiji ad. In the cached ad from April 16th, no phone number is listed. Unknown whether he did put it into the April 28th ad.

Kijiji has stated that no one replied to his April 28th ad, but what about the April 16th ad? And if TB put his cell phone # on the April 28th ad, Kijiji would have no way of knowing whether anyone called him as the phone number can be clicked and accessed from the ad page. (Doesn't require filling in any info or requesting the number.)

This was my google search and it's the very first hit
Clicked on cache and the ad is there.

2007 dodge power ram 3500 pickup truck hamilton kijiji

Here's the screen shot...

33uqxr6.png

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+-+Hamilton+-+Kijiji&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

So, it is possible that the 5.9 Cummins was what they were looking for in a Dodge Ram, based on the amount of "test drives" that we know about. DM probably had a Cummins in his red Ram, according to RyeGuy's observations. If this is the case, and we know that the truck was valued over its owner because it was secreted away inside the accused's trailer while the owner suffered death and the indignity of being burnt, then it appears that the truck was the motive for all of this.

Was it matter of spare parts or engine swapping? Also, who's expert enough to illuminate everyone on how jet fuel can be used in a diesel engine? If DM had been using jet fuel in his red Ram, without the precaution of adding lube due to the drier fuel, did he need another engine?

So, it is possible that the 5.9 Cummins was what they were looking for in a Dodge Ram, based on the amount of "test drives" that we know about. DM probably had a Cummins in his red Ram, according to RyeGuy's observations. If this is the case, and we know that the truck was valued over its owner because it was secreted away inside the accused's trailer while the owner suffered death and the indignity of being burnt, then it appears that the truck was the motive for all of this.

Was it matter of spare parts or engine swapping? Also, who's expert enough to illuminate everyone on how jet fuel can be used in a diesel engine? If DM had been using jet fuel in his red Ram, without the precaution of adding lube due to the drier fuel, did he need another engine?

I pulled this directly from Wikipedia:(Jet Fuel)

Jet fuel is very similar to diesel fuel, and in some cases, may be burned in diesel engines.

Jet fuel is often used in ground support vehicles at airports, instead of diesel.

However, jet fuel tends to have poor lubricating ability in comparison to diesel, thereby increasing wear on fuel pumps and other related engine parts.[citation needed] Civilian vehicles tend to disallow its use, or require that an additive be mixed with the jet fuel to restore its lubricity.

I pulled this directly from Wikipedia:(Jet Fuel)

Jet fuel is very similar to diesel fuel, and in some cases, may be burned in diesel engines.

Jet fuel is often used in ground support vehicles at airports, instead of diesel.

However, jet fuel tends to have poor lubricating ability in comparison to diesel, thereby increasing wear on fuel pumps and other related engine parts.[citation needed] Civilian vehicles tend to disallow its use, or require that an additive be mixed with the jet fuel to restore its lubricity.

Exactly.

I think he was looking at swapping out his Cummins for one without the wear. The fact that the tranny in Tim's Ram was "new, with upgrades" was a bonus. If DM was using the jet fuel, without the lube additive, he probably dorked it.

If Tim were still alive, and the incident didn't involve his death, Dellen Millard would be in possession of a truck he so very much needed.

It's that simple.

Exactly.

I think he was looking at swapping out his Cummins for one without the wear. The fact that the tranny in Tim's Ram was "new, with upgrades" was a bonus. If DM was using the jet fuel, without the lube additive, he probably dorked it.

If Tim were still alive, and the incident didn't involve his death, Dellen Millard would be in possession of a truck he so very much needed.

It's that simple.

He bought a $650,000 condo the next day. Couldn't he have just bought the truck??? This makes no sense to me.

moo

How carjackers choose their victims:

They tend to choose dark areas where there are not a lot of people.
They look for someone who is an easy target.
They look for individuals who seem weaker than they are, or who will not fight.

BBM

http://www.lawfirms.com/resources/criminal-defense/violent-crime/car-jacking-statistics.htm

Yet one wonders if car jackers also usually phone first, arrive at the owners residence late at night wearing brightly coloured clothes, flash tattoos and have a friendly exchange with the wife before driving off in the vehicle and murdering the owner. I think they the statisticians will need several additional columns in the car jacking spreadsheet to include these new characteristics.

Yet one wonders if car jackers also usually phone first, arrive at the owners residence late at night wearing brightly coloured clothes, flash tattoos and have a friendly exchange with the wife before driving off in the vehicle and murdering the owner.

And..... that is exactly what did happen!

Here is a link to another article related to the theft of Dodge diesels, for the reason of obtaining the catalytic converter:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121209/A_NEWS/212090328

If a thief needs the part, the end justifies the means.

The article above is dealing with the newer 6.7L Cummins from 2007.5 and newer (this is what I was referring to in my prior post as the most undesirable of the Cummins engines). Its not really the CAT that is being stolen but the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) which is notorious for plugging with diesel soot and puts the whole engine in jeopardy if there are issues with it and the rest of the emissions system. The entire system is worth well over $5000 new from Dodge BUT...most Cummins owners are now doing Emission Deletes once there warrantee is over.

Dellens Red ram already had what I assume was a fairly large programmer/tuner as he had a full set of aftermarket gauges and pod on the drivers pillar of the truck (you can clearly see the gauge pod and tuner on the right drivers pillar.

As far as the price of the motor and stealing just the truck for the engine...they are quite common in those years and I know of a mechanic just outside of Kitchener that deals with nothing but Dodge Ram’s and has at all times 3-5 engines sitting on the racks and they are priced from $2500-$5000. Steeling a truck like they are accused of just for the motor would be insane! The only thing that would make it worth them to steal a whole truck would be if they were going to do an Engine/Power Train conversion into a totally different truck...For instance, 8 years ago I built a GMC 1ton and converted its gas engine/power train to a Cummins/dodge drive train and although I sourced all the parts separately it would have been a whole lot easier to do the conversion with a whole “donor” truck as I also needed most of the wiring and little things that were almost all but impossible to find on there own.

Also about the use of Jet Fuel...while it does lack the lubricity that normal diesel fuel has, it would be very easy to add to add a litre or two of two-stroke oil to every tank which would increase the lubricity and would not hurt the motor one bit. In fact, even in my own personal 2001 Dodge Cummins (which was built for the use of the diesel fuel prior to 2007 (there is that 2007 year again!!!) ULSD (Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel) needed an increase in lubricant so I would add one litre of two-stroke oil at every fill-up and by doing this I never hurt the fuel system running the new diesel fuel. On my 2012 Cummins...its motor is almost identical to the 2007.5 motors and it was built for the ULSD fuel.

I just really can’t see steeling the truck and using its parts for there own personal truck. IMO, I still believe that, like I stated in my post yesterday...DM and the others were getting paid big bucks to steel the very desirable 1997 5.9L Cummins powered Dodge Ram. I also got thinking after I wrote my previous post that they could have also have wanted to steel the truck, take it back to the hanger at the Airport in Kitchener and fly it out of the province. DM could have easily had many connections to theft rings and with his possible knowledge he would have been the perfect guy to look for the particular truck that was on the grocery list! He also could have easily met people on his trips to Mexico at the races that could have been involved or connected him with people in these theft rings. Very easy money if you are that type of person and I believe that TB unfortunately fought back and someone pulled a knife or a hand gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998