Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quote below is from abovethelaw.com, from a poster responding to http://abovethelaw.com/2011/11/joe-paterno-better-lawyer-up/#disqus_thread a Nov, 10th article. Maybe most everyone else saw this back then, but I missed it.

Take a
look at the attorney/general counsel for Second Mile. Who was the
attorney for Penn State at the time of the first Sandusky incident in
1999. That attorney - Wendall Courtney - he left Penn
State to be counsel for Second Mile. I want to be clear that he left a
nationally ranked university to become general counsel for the charity
of a guy (Sandusky) that Courtney knew was alleged to have raped a 10
year old. BBM

I cannot vouch for truth of the stmt.
But if true, once he was at 2d Mile, what did Wendall do, what steps did he take, who did he notify -- the Bd/Tee's, the ED, etc. re what he knew about Jer?
Wonder what the ethics rules say, about what, if anything, he could lawfully disclose?

Who are Mandated Reporters re suspected child abuse in PA?

A possible clash btwn atty Ethics rules and mandated reporters reqmts?

I just saw a blurb on HLN about a family friend that said sandusky's wife was concerned someone would take jerry the wrong way. I searched the HLN site but couldn't find anything. Did anyone catch it? So hard to search on phone. TIA

I just saw a blurb on HLN about a family friend that said sandusky's wife was concerned someone would take jerry the wrong way. I searched the HLN site but couldn't find anything. Did anyone catch it? So hard to search on phone. TIA

Just did a google search and the last statements from Mrs. Sandusky are Dec. 10. Nothing currently.

Per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today another Civil Law Suit has been filed against Sandusky. This information is part of the article in which the Insurance Company files an action to NOT pay for Sandusky's legal costs. Link follows.

"The insurance lawsuit was filed Friday, the day after notice of the second civil suit was filed by a man who claimed Mr. Sandusky had sexually abused him.

The man was identified in court filings as "C. Miller." He filed notice Thursday in Philadelphia of an impending lawsuit against the retired coach. The lawsuit also names Penn State and The Second Mile as defendants.

Mr. Sandusky has denied all criminal and civil charges against him."

Read more: http://postgazette.com/pg/11361/1199523-454.stm#ixzz1hjySB28S

The quote below is from abovethelaw.com, from a poster responding to http://abovethelaw.com/2011/11/joe-paterno-better-lawyer-up/#disqus_thread a Nov, 10th article. Maybe most everyone else saw this back then, but I missed it.

Take a
look at the attorney/general counsel for Second Mile. Who was the
attorney for Penn State at the time of the first Sandusky incident in
1999. That attorney - Wendall Courtney - he left Penn
State to be counsel for Second Mile. I want to be clear that he left a
nationally ranked university to become general counsel for the charity
of a guy (Sandusky) that Courtney knew was alleged to have raped a 10
year old. BBM

I cannot vouch for truth of the stmt.
But if true, once he was at 2d Mile, what did Wendall do, what steps did he take, who did he notify -- the Bd/Tee's, the ED, etc. re what he knew about Jer? Wonder what the ethics rules say, about what, if anything, he could lawfully disclose?

Who are Mandated Reporters re suspected child abuse in PA?

A possible clash btwn atty Ethics rules and mandated reporters reqmts?

In answer to your question, I suppose it boils down to a choice as to who or what to believe. Do you believe all of these CYA statements from various board members and officials of TSM?

Former board members of Jerry Sandusky’s charity say its CEO never told them about a 2002 shower incident that is the focus of child sexual abuse charges against the retired Penn State assistant coach. If they knew Sandusky had been banned from bringing kids on campus, they say they could have taken steps to better protect children a decade ago.

“Not one thing was said to us,’’ said Bradley P. Lunsford, a Centre County judge who served on the Second Mile board between 2001 and 2005. “Not a damn thing.’’

http://articles.boston.com/2011-12-19/sports/30534966_1_sexual-abuse-second-mile-joe-paterno

Or do you believe as I do, that a board member would have to be brain dead to escape any awareness of this freak's actions?

I didn't see the HLN story, but it sounds like they're basing their story on this article from pennlive.com that came out last night:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/jerry_sanduskys_wife_dottie.html

Yes, this is it. Thank you.

from article:
“She did talk to Jerry. She had concerns just that — I think she was concerned that people could perceive things the wrong way,” he said. “Not child rape, that’s a whole different category. But I think she generally had some concern that someone could falsely accuse him. He had problems with the boundary issue.”

She knew enough to have a talk w/ him. It was on her mind. She knew he went to far. IMO. "problems w/ the boundary issue" yeah that's a given. imo

Compared with other Penn State characters, the Sanduskys may have very little income- pension of about $60K (which he may lose), $57K as a contract from Second Mile until recently. An early story said he took out a $25K mortgage on his house last year that might have been Amendola's retainer.
So, could Dottie afford a housekeeper or did she clean that basement bedoom herself? Who did the laundry?
To be oblivious, I think Dottie had to be sedated- booze? Pills? Religion? Battered?

Several posts upthread re 2d Mile, Concerned Papa [Thank you, Papa] said:

"...Or do you believe as I do, that a board member would have to be brain dead to escape any awareness of this freak's actions?"

I think even brain dead bd members wd be aware, as long as they had not yet bn put six feet under.

The punch line:
Which version makes U sound less culpable re coming civil trials re allowing JerSan to (…um, allegedly…er) commit and cont. committing ChSexAb acts on its campus for years? ---
--- Jer accepted U's offer of 'enhanced ret. package' and retired in 1999 with no other motivation, which is what came out in GrJury proceeding.
--- After being made aware in 1998 of evidence of Jer’s perversion, U asked him to leave quietly, which is widely circulated rumor, at least now.

The lead-in:
Jan 2011 GrJury, both Curley and Schultz said they were accompanied by Cynthia Baldwin, as counsel, U VP and gen counsel, who was also former Justice of Pa Supreme Court.
Atty from AG’s ofc. questioned Schultz about JerSan's departure from the U, eliciting this ---in 1998 for a certain time only, JerSan was eligible for an enhanced ret. Package, a ret. incentive, and he ret’ed. He also asked if there were other reasons JerSan retired then. Schultz said no.

Why the questions? Are these answers, Just the Facts, Ma'am, or something more?

Does anyone detect the hand of U counsel, before the GrJury proceeding, prompting Schultz to squeeze into his answers that ’ret. incentive’ bit and to deny any other motivations for JerSan ret. then.

BTW, anyone know if U offered ret. w. incentives in 1998-99?

Was this to draw attention away from actual reason for JerSan's retirement at that time?

The back story, thru MSM:
After 1998 JerSan & boy 'sharing shower' (and maybe after CYS & LE investigation of same),
did JoePa tell JerSan he thought is “best to make a coaching change” quoting Schultz, p. 209.
Is that when (~June 1998) & how JerSan learned he wd never be head coach & 'decided' to retire?

Again:
Which version makes U sound less culpable re coming civil trials re allowing JerSan to (…um, allegedly…er) commit and cont. committing ChSexAb acts on its campus for years? ---
--- JerSan accepted U's offer of 'enhanced ret. package' and retired in 1999 with no other motivation.
--- After being made aware in 1998 of evidence of JerSan’s shower sharing w boys and other ChSexAb on campus, U asked him to leave quietly.

Yeah, enhanced ret. package, that's the ticket. Yeah, that's why JerSan left when he did.

From the organization's website, with my bolding *& color added to text:

programsAndServices.gif
Prevention

"Effective prevention programs provide strategies that significantly influence children's behavior and skills through hands-on education, positive role models, and skill-building activities. The philosophy of The Second Mile prevention programs is that "it is easier to develop a child than to rehabilitate an adult." These programs are designed to help large numbers of students acquire the coping skills and positive values they need for healthy development."

Not sure how I missed this little gem of an article:

Second Mile Camp Had Cross Dressing

A former Berks County camp operator speaks about summer camp programs run by the Second Mile, the foundation started by former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky.

"Camp counselors cross dressing for one of the evening events with children. The following year now they [had] some of the boys cross dressing," he says.

Lehr also said shower curtains would be taken down when Second Mile was at the camp.

"In hindsight you kind of look back and give it a second thought now," he says.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/penn_state/second-mile-camp-had-cross-dressing-111411

Looks like this camp operator dude can get in that "I didn't know nothing" line with all the other board members and officials who are claiming they were "shocked, I tell ya, shocked" when the chit hit the fan on this freak. Cross dressing and shower curtains off and this genius is trying to claim it took hindsight for him to figure out something was wrong?

n21074049356_632247_2332-1.jpg

I've got a feeling a jury or two is going to have the opportunity to consider whether this kind of ignorance claim is logical or actionable.

Dottie Sandusky Maintains Her Husband’s Innocence, May Go On Oprah With Him

http://deadspin.com/jerry-sandusky/

Dottie Sandusky, who publicly defended her husband's innocence for the first time earlier this month, may join Jerry for another televised interview after the new year. Jerry Sandusky's lawyer, Joe Amendola, told the Harrisburg Patriot-News this week that the two may sit down with Oprah, Barbara Walters, or even return to Brian Williams's Rock Center—since the first visit went so very well.
-----

Sandusky's attorney, Joe Amendola, said Dottie Sandusky doesn't have an attorney and sees no need for one.

More at link....

Yes, this is it. Thank you.

from article:
“She did talk to Jerry. She had concerns just that — I think she was concerned that people could perceive things the wrong way,” he said. “Not child rape, that’s a whole different category. But I think she generally had some concern that someone could falsely accuse him. He had problems with the boundary issue.”

She knew enough to have a talk w/ him. It was on her mind. She knew he went to far. IMO. "problems w/ the boundary issue" yeah that's a given. imo

OMG ~ and that wins my prize for Understatement of the Year! :maddening:

Dottie Sandusky Maintains Her Husband’s Innocence, May Go On Oprah With Him

http://deadspin.com/jerry-sandusky/

Dottie Sandusky, who publicly defended her husband's innocence for the first time earlier this month, may join Jerry for another televised interview after the new year. Jerry Sandusky's lawyer, Joe Amendola, told the Harrisburg Patriot-News this week that the two may sit down with Oprah, Barbara Walters, or even return to Brian Williams's Rock Center—since the first visit went so very well.
-----

Sandusky's attorney, Joe Amendola, said Dottie Sandusky doesn't have an attorney and sees no need for one.

More at link....

Their lawyer must be insane to let them talk with Oprah or anybody else!

Don't they know that Oprah is a child-abuse survivor herself? And she'll probably have Dr. Phil or someone on there with her asking questions too.

Their lawyer must be insane to let them talk with Oprah or anybody else!

Don't they know that Oprah is a child-abuse survivor herself? And she'll probably have Dr. Phil or someone on there with her asking questions too.

Their lawyer hasn't proven to be a mensa candidate so far. JMO

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/12/hear_no_evil_new_book_about_th.html

The Patriot News has cobbled together an e-book called "Hear No Evil"- for sale through Amazon's Kindle for $2.99. I've just finished reading it and am disappointed- the news part ends November 19th with Paterno's cancer announcement and the entire text is mostly football and sentimental social comment-I hoped for some new hard news but didn't notice anything new about the criminal case and the account ends before either perliminary hearing.

So this makes me a vulture? Maybe.
I'd rather have donated the entire $3 to a victims charity.

Sandusky Adding New Lawyer For Suits

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/penn_state/sandusky-adding-new-lawyer-for-suits

.......His criminal defense lawyer, Joe Amendola, said Friday he had not seen the complaint, filed in federal court in Williamsport. Amendola said Sandusky was served Wednesday with a lawsuit filed in Philadelphia by one alleged victim and was getting a different lawyer to represent him in civil cases.

In answer to your question, I suppose it boils down to a choice as to who or what to believe. Do you believe all of these CYA statements from various board members and officials of TSM?

Or do you believe as I do, that a board member would have to be brain dead to escape any awareness of this freak's actions?

I don't know. To me, it's easier to believe that Raykovitz kept all of his knowledge to himself than to suggest all of the board members are lying.

Having served on a board for a local social service agency, I knew nothing about the day-to-day operations, nor would I have been aware of any rumors or scuttlebutt.

Judge Lunsford was a respected jurist in the area - would he really have been so committed to protecting Sandusky or the Second Mile that he would have placed himself in such a position? Again, in my opinion, it is more likely that Sandusky's actions weren't widely shared with the board members, even if only out of concern that one rogue member might have taken action.

There may have been an inner circle with whom information was shared, but I doubt it was known among the rank-and-file. Most of them just weren't invested enough to have purposefully looked the other way.

I don't know. To me, it's easier to believe that Raykovitz kept all of his knowledge to himself than to suggest all of the board members are lying.

Having served on a board for a local social service agency, I knew nothing about the day-to-day operations, nor would I have been aware of any rumors or scuttlebutt.

Judge Lunsford was a respected jurist in the area - would he really have been so committed to protecting Sandusky or the Second Mile that he would have placed himself in such a position? Again, in my opinion, it is more likely that Sandusky's actions weren't widely shared with the board members, even if only out of concern that one rogue member might have taken action.

There may have been an inner circle with whom information was shared, but I doubt it was known among the rank-and-file. Most of them just weren't invested enough to have purposefully looked the other way.

I suppose anything's possible, but I've got a problem in buying into the notion of an abundance of ignorance on the part of these TSM board members and officials.

Take this Judge for example.

In a place no bigger than his circuit or area, do you really think it's likely or even logical that more than one child rape investigation of the public figurehead of an organization he is a board member of would escape his awareness? Do you really think he doesn't have a friend in LE, CPS or the SA's office who wouldn't make him aware of what was being looked into for his own reputation's sake?

How about TSM's CEO, Dr. Jack Raykovitz? According to the grand jury report, he knew about the investigations into this freak's actions. Are you really suggesting that he wouldn't and didn't make any of the other board members aware of the issue? Do you think he at least told his wife, the longest term employee in the organization?

Last, but certainly not least, we have Attorney Wendall Courtney who was aware of the whole enchilada regarding TSM's public figurehead. He's supposed to have come on board as their counsel and not made the board aware of these investigations? Aside from the basic moral obligations at play, I'm of the opinion that there were certain fiduciary responsibilities on his part in making the organization aware of what had been/was being investigated. How likely or logical is it that an attorney would have been so committed to protecting Sandusky that he would have placed himself in such a position of not telling ANYONE?

The FACTS that have been coming out have shown us that aside from MANY VICTIMS and their families, janitors, coaches, high school principals, and teachers knew about this freak. Members of LE, District Attorneys, State Attorneys, and even a Gubernatorial candidate knew about this freak.

Yet somehow, these wealthy captains of industry, jurists, and intellectual scholars who made up TSM's board of directors and trustees were supposed to have been in blissful ignorance of what this animal was doing to the children of The Second Mile? I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt that possibly they believed in "the greater good" of the organization or something of that sort, but there's no way I can believe the Judge Lunsford's of this mess who are singing loud and strong that “Not one thing was said to us, Not a damn thing.’’

I can't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member