Opening Statements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad's biggest mistake was thinking he could outsmart everyone and run his mouth.
That 8 hour sworn video deposition will be edited to show his many inconsistencies vs what he told the cops.

For #1, isn't it possible she had more than 1 pair of running shoes? I certainly do.
#2 - yes odd.
#3 - I don't necessarily believe (although I don't not believe it) that it is counter to the norm. As we discussed way back when...this will be based on Nancy's words to friends. I'm sure my wife would say I don't do nearly as much as I actually do around the house. And she isn't mad at me or divorcing me.

In fact, when I am in the doghouse, I frequently go overboard on the chores while my wife is out of the house to make amends.

I agree #2 is odd.

#1 I'm not convinced she didn't have multiple pairs of the same running shoes. Many people do.

Yep plus his behavior was odd too. He didn't cooperate, he was doing activities that were known by many to be quite different than his normal sloth-like-at-home self (there was testimony during the custody hearing about this), he didn't attend any memorial service, he never spoke to her family, he didn't even tell his own daughters that their mommy was dead--he left that up to the inlaws. And this was before the kids were taken from him, btw. None of that automatically = murder, but you have to realize how it would look to the people who knew both of them and of course her family as well. They noticed because it was ODD behavior.

#1 I'm not convinced she didn't have multiple pairs of the same running shoes. Many people do.

I assume there will be testimony to address this. And if she did have multiple pairs, someone would know about it. In fact, I think Brad might have been asked this during the depo. I'm trying to remember it, but I think he himself said she had just the one blue pair... :waitasec:

I do, and many women do.

I have a gold bracelet I got for my Bday and I have not taken it off from the moment it was put around my wrist, in Dec. That includes showering, exercising, sleeping, etc.

I stand corrected. But as I said...1 single picture with her not wearing it disproves it.

1 single picture with her not wearing it disproves it.

Yes it would. I will be very surprised if the defense produces such a picture, though.

I assume there will be testimony to address this. And if she did have multiple pairs, someone would know about it. In fact, I think Brad might have been asked this during the depo. I'm trying to remember it, but I think he himself said she had just the one blue pair... :waitasec:

I would hope he wasn't dumb enough to say that knowing the pair was still in the house. I'm just glad this is finally underway. I'm way to freaking busy at work for this, but I can't help it.

Brad was asked about laundering the dress in the depositions. I'll have to listen again for specifics about the stain, if any.

During the depositions, Brad said he and DD were not able to determine what dress Nancy wore. He remembered Nancy complaining that she had spilled wine on the dress when Brad arrived at the party and Nancy had tried to get it out. Brad noticed the dress was damp where she tried to clean it.

I stand corrected. But as I said...1 single picture with her not wearing it disproves it.

If there were such a photo, Kurtz would have plastered it everywhere for all to see. He wasted no time posting the HT video on his firm's webpage and he would have done the same with such a photo that refuted that compelling state evidence.

If there were such a photo, Kurtz would have plastered it everywhere for all to see. He wasted no time posting the HT video on his firm's webpage and he would have done the same with such a photo that refuted that compelling state evidence.

Actually, they posted that to dispel the rumors that he bought cleaning agents at 4 in the morning. Not to refute any evidence.

ETA: And, I guess, technically, he did buy a cleaning agent (laundry detergent), but it wasn't household cleaning products such as bleach as was initially reported here by somebody with a family member that worked at that store.

I tried clicking on the opening statements on WRAL site given in an above post. The message I got was "This live video has concluded". Does this imply that if we don't watch the coverage live we can not watch it at all? Is there another place that anyone knows of that we can view the opening statements? I was looking forward to being able to see what happens each day.

I tried clicking on the opening statements on WRAL site given in an above post. The message I got was "This live video has concluded". Does this imply that if we don't watch the coverage live we can not watch it at all? Is there another place that anyone knows of that we can view the opening statements? I was looking forward to being able to see what happens each day.

They should have the video file available soon.

I have noticed in other cases WRAL has filmed - they post the video later on their website. Usually within a few hours. Keep checking WRAL - if they hold true to past operations, it will be there sometime this evening.

There was another important (but very subtle) point made.

In the opening, the ADA mentioned that Nancy told Brad "I hate you" THREE times that afternoon, before the party, as he didn't give her the weekly allowance (in retaliation for earning $$ painting at JA's house).

Now, in the custody deposition, Brad was specifically asked if Nancy ever told him that she hated him and he denied it and said that he had no recollection of her ever saying that to him (either that or he outright denied it). I remember Alice Stubbs asking him this and it was sort of highlighted.

He lied.

Why he lied about that, I don't know. It's a stupid thing to lie about. But that's one instance (out of I'm sure scores) that we will see emerge as the trial goes on.

Of course it's possible. But notice the wording they used and it was quite specific. NO shoes of hers, including running shoes, were missing from that shelf. That shelf in the garage is where she kept her (running) shoes. That should tell you something right there. And her running partner--the one she was training with at the time of her disappearance, said those blue Sauconys were the ones she was using. Those running shes were the same ones she had with her just a few days before her death, when she was on vacation with her family.

Howdy SG and all the folks who remember me.

I have been away, but will be dropping in to keep tabs on this case.

I recall that it came out that there were some shoes in the garage, but she apparently had 2 different kinds that looked a lot like each other, having some differences. IIRC, it was revealed in some documents that LE found a missing set of shoes, but the ones they found were mismatched. Like finding one shoe from each set, and both being for the left foot. I remember this coming up because when I heard it I was pretty sure why LE was convinced that she had not left to go running that morning.

SG, Are you attending the trial??

CyberPro

Hey CyberPro, of course I remember you! Glad to see you here. I hope more of the oldtimers show up. I plan to attend a little bit of the trial, but mostly I'll have to catch it online since I work fulltime.

Good point about the 2 mismatched shoes--I remember that well in one of the search warrants. They didn't mention anything about that either in today's opening.

I wonder if they limited their opening so as to not confuse the jury and not create openings for the defense to address in their opening? If the prosecution doesn't bring something up then I don't know if the defense can.

I just re-read my comment and it sounds stupid.

It sounds like I was saying LE found missing shoes. This is not true as far as I know. I believe that she was known to have 2 pair of running shoes that looked a lot alike at a glance, but did have some minor differences.

LE NOTED a pair of the shoes were gone, but the remaining ones were placed side by side on a shelf in the garage, as you might expect shoes to be. The side by side shoes were mismatched as a pair, and for the same foot.

Now, that makes better sense. It might not be correct, but that is what I recall from previous readings of docs and postings of the case "evidence" that came out.

CyberPro

Capture1.jpg

Wral.com posted a ton of her not wearing a necklace. Just look at Nancy Cooper case images.

Whether the attorneys will point it out? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member