KY KY - Glasgow, Barren River Lake, OtherFem 2-3, UP100, In Suitcase on Lake Shore, Dec'd Several Months, Aug'89

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
195b37f2-f7cc-465a-a80e-b0f63befb9c5_zpsbae76c09.jpg

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/cold_case/post3coldcase6.php

The Kentucky State Police request help in resolving the murder of a 2 ½ year old biracial female child, with an estimated year of birth between 1984-1987. The child was found on August 20, 1989 in the Skaggs Creek section of Barren River Lake. The remains were skeletal and were in a suitcase...

Post received 3 quick calls from someone claiming to be an attorney who asked that immunity be granted to a woman who had information about the child. After those 3 calls, no more were received.

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/ne...cle_070fb9ca-59a3-11e4-921f-3f689137d8a4.html

Marion estimated the suitcase had been in the lake for at least three months, “judging from the decomposition of the body,” the article said. The suitcase, a good quality American Tourister model, was in good condition.

At that time, the body was being investigated as a homicide because “the skull appears to have been fractured and we are continuing on that basis at the present time,” Marion said...

In the original findings from the ME, the child was identified as female, but Phillips said they are no longer assuming that it’s female because at that age, children’s structure is so similar it’s hard to tell them apart.

NamUs: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/100

Doe: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/934ufky.html

I agree with Jake479. I'm of the opinion that Cherie is deceased, given the background of her stepfather.

Bumping - was looking into this doe as potentially Marlena Childress until I saw biracial. Do we know why they think that?

How would they even make a match? The only thing available is dental, and chances are a child that age hasn't been to a dentist yet unless they had really bad teeth problems. I think my son's first visit to the dentist was when he was four or so.

Sadly there are no dentals on Cherie - seems like making a match would be a long shot

They'd have to get DNA from her maternal family.

I still believe this is Cherie Barnes, but sadly, it doesn't look like there's any way to prove it.

I wonder if they tried that picture/skull overlay technique?

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP100
Female, Other

up1004.jpg up1005.jpg
up1001.jpg up1002.jpg up1003.jpg

Date Body Found: August 8, 1989
Location Found: Glasgow, Barren County, Kentucky
Estimated Age: PreAdolescent; 2-3 years
Estimated PMI: Months
Height/Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances of Recovery: Body was found inside a blue suitcase on the shore along Barren River Lake in Glasgow. The child had been deceased for several months.

"0 Missing Person Exclusions"

NCMEC
UNIDENTIFIED - Unknown Doe 1989
Date Found:
Aug 8, 1989
Location Found: Glasgow, KY
Estimated Age: 2-3
Sex: Unknown
Race: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown

8C8FF203-D32F-4B37-8C15-29EF5B3DBA09.png 3C6D0513-BC6F-4928-9F5E-D95F8ADC7065.png B692A843-BB2A-4371-94B1-84D1CBF57F9B.png
Female, Male, Suitcase

An unidentified child was found on August 8, 1989 in Barren County, Kentucky. The body was found inside a blue suitcase on the shore along Barren River Lake in Glasgow. The child had been deceased for several months. An anthropological assessment suggests that the remains are a young child, 2-3 years old. The sex cannot be determined. The images above depict the suitcase and a facial reconstruction completed by a NCMEC Forensic Artist that depicts what the child may have looked like in life as a boy and a girl.

img

August 22, 1989. The Courier-Journal, Louisville, KY.
img

August 22, 1989. The Messenger, Madisonville, KY.

I forgot to add this: Based on what I have seen from newspaper articles, I am fairly sure that August 20, 1989 is the correct DoD for this Doe.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho