GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 2 types of murder in GA - malice and felony - no first or second degree. DA won't comment on what the felony is.

Have looked and looked for the link to the full interview done by Fox24 with SMcD. Can someone tell me what thread and page it is on?

25 different investigators doing different tasks. Tremendous amount of overtime. No complaints from anyone, they wanted the case solved.

In excess of 30 people were interviewed after body was found.

Definition of felony murder by the DA: As a result of a Felony, a death occurred.

Capital Murder Charge, may be an option later. No schedule for the meeting of the Grand Jury yet on this case, they meet on Tuesdays.

I missed all but the last few minutes, thanks Surfie!!!! Hope they get the raw version up quickly.

the one thing that stood out to me in the presser was when asked about the charge (felony murder) DA Winters responded to the effect that the murder/death occurred as a result of the felony act??????????????

Grand Jury meets every Tuesday in Macon for Bibb County

ahhhh-so the crime is such that they are back to weekly!

My computer kept buffering from the WMAZ site so I missed a couple of parts of it. Hopefully they will get a link up for it pretty soon- had it on the TV also, but too many distractons here at work!

My responses below, in blue...

i wonder if he held lauren alive for sometime? No, or at least not for any length of time. Autopsy put her time of death on the 26th.
did he write the email about the macon hoodlums? Lauren wrote it, there really isn't any reason to believe someone else did, other than that it makes a good story.
what day was her torso put in the trash bin? Thursday morning is the best guess. I've never been able to figure out why the cop that was there on late Wednesday/early hours Thursday believed that it wasn't there when he first was -- it would not have been immediately obvious. But, judging from the low level of decomp, it hadn't been outside for long.
how long had it been out there? Not too long, apparently. With Georgia summers being what they are, I think it's impossible that it was out there before dark on Wednesday.
why did he talk to the media? (in one report i read it says that was when the police first became suspicious of him) Because he hadn't watched enough Law & Order to know what a stupid idea that was. Maybe he was hoping to get the "she was just gone" meme started, and failed miserably.
and what did he do with the rest of her? Disposed of it more efficiently. :(
and my biggest question is why he did it? I think, ultimately, this is the question we will never be able to answer. Even if he talks and explains what actually physically took place, I'm not sure he will ever give us the reason. Hopefully knowing the who, if not the why, will be enough.

Just curious, have you seen the autopsy report or spoken with the coroner about time of death?

I would have thought that the June 26th date of death would have come from the autopsy report too or at least official word from the coroner but Lauren's sister made a statement that her family surprisingly just PICKED June 26th to say for her obituary and had not been told that officially.

You also said low level of decomposition...I heard a rumor that the coroner said that at the crime scene on the day the torso was found but had not heard it officially.

Are you saying these things officially or are you just speculating because of rumors too? (And I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I really want to know too.)

I saw that too, and while I am not a lawyer, I believe Winters is an "Officer of the court" and allowed to serve the warrant. I think he is really looking at this case as a big deal for him , and it is. I hope we find out a lot at the 2 oclokc news conference, because from the appearance based on what little we do know, and how long it has taken fro FBI results to come back ( I think we are still waiting on them) I have reasonable doubt and it looks like they rushed to charge McD prior to the Aug 4th bond hearing. On the other hand, kind of like like OJ & Casey Anthony, If not McD, then who ?

I'm responding to the line I respectfully bolded in your post.

I see exactly where you are coming from, but I've always had a hesitation to rule somebody IN because there was no other known person to rule out. I guess I've found it reckless to assume the one and only known POI is always going to be the guilty party because of so many other cases I'm aware of where there was an unknown person in the picture and nobody knew to LOOK for or talk about, speculate or theorize about anything to do with that person because we had no idea that person was the culprit.

For example, Elizabeth Smart was taken by someone from her home. Long story short, it was a baffling case, but one man's name materialized due to a particular kind of hat he wore, and he took his own life in jail from the intense judgement by the media, (specifically Nancy Grace, who named him and showed his face over and over and said he was the guilty man) but he was NOT THE RIGHT MAN. HE WAS AN INNOCENT MAN. He did nothing to Smart, yet he was placed deep inside the pressure cooker and he cooked his own goose because that was easier than taking on the great numbers of people that were being swayed by Nancy Grace and other members of the media who were turning the public into mad vultures circling him, just waiting.

This ruined this man's life. And he ended it. Sad to know he was truly an innocent man because we all saw the real low life sob that took Smart from her bedroom...and it was NOT the man everyone was pointing at. (They only pointed at him because he was the ONLY one whose name was continually brought forth by someone in the media who thought it appropriate to drag him to his demise behind her little red wagon. In the end, she didn't apologize for being as wrong as two left shoes. She went on exercising the errors of her gut.)

So, my point is, just because one person is known and happens to be the only person the public has to launch their hatred toward at this specific time, does not always mean there is no other person involved. I realize in this case that SD has been charged, but the evidence must speak before I tear down a man's reputation, education, and his whole life with an assumption of guilt. I prefer to assume innocence until I can see all the cards on the table and a jury does their duty.

My gut tells me so much about so many things, even saved my life, but the truth is, we all have one. I can feel something in my gut all day long, but my gut has to wait in the hall when a trial begins.

I'm a loser. I wanted to see it so badly, I stopped by the gym in my work clothes, got on an exercise bike and listened to most of the interview with my headphones. I couldn't hear most of the questions but it sounded like someone asked if it was apparent whether or not he dismembered her body there or somewhere else. I think Burns shrugged and said that it hadn't been determined. Did I get that correct? The sweaty dude next to me kept whipping out his towel and hitting me with it so I wasn't focused.

Before the conference, McDaniel had his first appearance before a magistrate on the murder charge against him. He asked for a commitment hearing in the case.
That hearing was scheduled for Aug. 17. During a commitment hearing, prosecutors typically present more details of the case against a defendant to a judge.]

A couple of questions.. So, today SM has already been in court arraigned on the murder charge.. Does anyone know if there is video of this as we've had at his other arraignment and hearings?

And on the commintment hearing.. This is new to me.. I think I understand it to be just the defense forcing the DA to show atleast part of their hand? Can any of our attys possibly tell a little more about what this commitment hearing is.. I don't recall having heard that before.. But that doesn't mean it's not happened in other cases I've followed.. Just someyhing I don't guess I'd ever noticed or heard about..

Thanks in advance to anyone who might know a little more about either of my questions..

A couple of questions.. So, today SM has already been in court arraigned on the murder charge.. Does anyone know if there is video of this as we've had at his other arraignment and hearings?

And on the commintment hearing.. This is new to me I think I understand it to be just the defense forcing the DA to show atleast part of their hand? Can any of our attys possibly tell a little more about what this commitment hearing is.. I don't recall having heard that before.. But that doesn't mean it's not happened in other cases I've followed.. Just someyhing I don't guess I'd ever noticed or heard about..

Thanks in advance to anyone who might now a little more about either of my questions..
There's a very short video of him looking straight ahead and blinking a lot.
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/topstori...Stephen-McDaniel-Appears-in-Court-Bond-Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie