FL - Amanda Buckley, 18, raped & murdered, Palm Beach Gardens, 19 July 2007

Totally horrible.

While I admit the going to the attorny before calling the police is odd, I am wondering if the parents may have actually believed the girl died from drugs and because of the trouble their son had been in previously, wanted to do everything possible to ensure that the 'truth' was told to police.
Some of the previous charges against him were dropped against him, he could have easily told them LE had it against him etc etc.
I don't know these parents obviously, but it makes me sad that sometimes nice parents have kids who do bad things. Of course I have sympathy for the girls family and friends, who couldn't? But sadly there are so many people affected by incidents like this. I think it would affect the souls of everyone including investigating officers, their families....

Aussie,

I cannot imagine what I would do under those circumstances. I don't think I would have the presence of mind to call the attorney. The father did the right thing by calling police.

Reading this thread, I don't think this is going to be a popular opinion, but even the guilty deserve legal representation.

I don't know their personal reasons in getting the attorney, maybe they've seen a lot of TV shows where the characters do the same thing (I know I've seen it numerous times), maybe they thought they would cut out the waiting time later if they already had an attorney because it is obvious that one would be needed, they obviously knew the attorney, maybe he/she didn't have transportation available. I don't know the reason, but I don't blame them for it, at that point they didn't know what had happened to the girl for sure, they had to hope their son didn't have anything to do with it.

I firmly believe this 26 year old man is a serial killer in the making, and that he must never walk free on this earth again. I look at the risks he took when abducting, sexually assaulting, and murdering dear Amanda, and I think he was soooo compelled to attack and kill that he didn't care about the risks. That to me means that he will, no matter what, "therapy" he receives do it again and again if given the chance. Though, he was not convicted of anything concerning the other two young ladies, chances are he did commit those crimes, too. This just cements my belief that he is compelled to attack and kill no matter the risks. Geesh, I am so sick of hearing about lovely young women with such promising futures being terrorized, raped and murdered by such slime. Amanda's mom, dad, and other loved ones are in my prayers.

Lion

I firmly believe this 26 year old man is a serial killer in the making, and that he must never walk free on this earth again. I look at the risks he took when abducting, sexually assaulting, and murdering dear Amanda, and I think he was soooo compelled to attack and kill that he didn't care about the risks. That to me means that he will, no matter what, "therapy" he receives do it again and again if given the chance. Though, he was not convicted of anything concerning the other two young ladies, chances are he did commit those crimes, too. This just cements my belief that he is compelled to attack and kill no matter the risks. Geesh, I am so sick of hearing about lovely young women with such promising futures being terrorized, raped and murdered by such slime. Amanda's mom, dad, and other loved ones are in my prayers.

Lion

Hi Lion! :blowkiss: I haven't seen you in a while here. I do hope everything is ok. I hope you are right and this creep is in prison for life, or given the death penalty (IMO).

My thing with the parents in this case is that they HAD to know their son had problems. I would think they wouldn't want their son around young women knowing his problems. So why did they allow him to ask her to go with them on this vacation (or whatever it was.)? :confused:

If they knew of his proclivities then they are just as much to blame, IMO. :furious:

The thing with the parents that gets me is they waited until they got their lawyer before calling LE. There's an 18-year-old girl lying dead in their son's closet, and the first thing they think to do is get their lawyer? How disrespectful! To the girl and to her family! It makes me think they completely overlooked the fact that this girl had a life and a family, and was taken from them by their son. I don't care how much I love my family, but if I were to find a girl's body in my son's closet, the first call would be to LE. If it were my daughter found in the man's closet, I would hope that the family has more of a heart than these people.

It goes a looooong way in explaining this creeps behavior!
Clearly mommy and daddy have spent his life defending his every move rather then disciplining him.
Not that that in itself would create a killer but it would teach that he could get away with anything and given the right (or wrong) personality it could help to create this.

It goes a looooong way in explaining this creeps behavior!
Clearly mommy and daddy have spent his life defending his every move rather then disciplining him.
Not that that in itself would create a killer but it would teach that he could get away with anything and given the right (or wrong) personality it could help to create this.

Excellent point, Amra. I would love to know his juvenile history.

Is North Palm Beach one of those ritzy snooty areas? Most people wouldn't have enough money to get a lawyer to come to their home where there was a dead murdered raped young woman before calling police. These people should have believed the two previous young girls and no telling what all else they did know about over the years. The rapist/murderer should have been locked up soon as they knew he was a predator. If the idiot prosecutor didn't have enough to go on, then the parents could have had him committed instead of sheltering a rapist.

It's like any other city..I wouldn't say excessively wealthy. There are wealthier areas..just like any city. North Palm Beach is sort of barren, compared to West Palm Beach, etc.

It's like any other city..I wouldn't say excessively wealthy. There are wealthier areas..just like any city.

I would say that there are some extremely wealthy areas in Palm Beach.

And in those areas the people are most definitely snooty!

While I'm not wild about these parents - the girl won't get any more dead from an hour delay. So long as they didn't help their son to hide the body, didn't ignore screams from his room, didn't help him to escape, nor let him escape, I'm OK with calling the lawyer before police.

I would say that there are some extremely wealthy areas in Palm Beach.

And in those areas the people are most definitely snooty!

Maybe my perception of "extremely wealthy" is off..I'm from Miami..not much counts as "excessive" anymore =P

Maybe my perception of "extremely wealthy" is off..I'm from Miami..not much counts as "excessive" anymore =P

I see your point:) I will grant you that few areas in Palm Beach equate to some of the wealthier Area's in Palm Beach.

I would still contend there is a large population of extreme wealth.
Some of the oldest money in the world resides in Palm Beach.
For most of us even those with much less wealth living in 2-5 million dollar homes would still be considered "extremely" wealthy.

Reading this thread, I don't think this is going to be a popular opinion, but even the guilty deserve legal representation.

I don't know their personal reasons in getting the attorney, maybe they've seen a lot of TV shows where the characters do the same thing (I know I've seen it numerous times), maybe they thought they would cut out the waiting time later if they already had an attorney because it is obvious that one would be needed, they obviously knew the attorney, maybe he/she didn't have transportation available. I don't know the reason, but I don't blame them for it, at that point they didn't know what had happened to the girl for sure, they had to hope their son didn't have anything to do with it.

I read alot of fiction crime stuff, and often when someone is being interviewed by the police, the police will say "You can have an attorney, but you don't really need one if you are innocent, right?" Then they proceed to railroad the guy into something that gets turned around into a confession of sorts. I'm thinking getting an attorney's advice is probably the best move - but one I wouldn't think of first. I'd be blabbing all over the place, anything I knew without regard to how much it hurt me, my husband or my son in this situation.

You're right, the accused/guilty do deserve legal representation. BUT the young women found dead in the guys closet deserved something too, how about a little respect. The parents running off to cover their son's *advertiser censored* makes me sick. They should be charged with something.
Retorical question--
Who in their right mind, after finding a body in their home, would seek legal council BEFORE calling 911, the police, etc? :waitasec:

While I'm not wild about these parents - the girl won't get any more dead from an hour delay. So long as they didn't help their son to hide the body, didn't ignore screams from his room, didn't help him to escape, nor let him escape, I'm OK with calling the lawyer before police.

Can't wait to hear the details about cause of death and place of death.
IF this beautiful, young woman was killed in that home, the parents have a lot of explaining to do. I imagine a dead body weighs alot and isn't easy to maneuver, so the body wasn't moved around totally silent.

I read alot of fiction crime stuff, and often when someone is being interviewed by the police, the police will say "You can have an attorney, but you don't really need one if you are innocent, right?" Then they proceed to railroad the guy into something that gets turned around into a confession of sorts. I'm thinking getting an attorney's advice is probably the best move - but one I wouldn't think of first. I'd be blabbing all over the place, anything I knew without regard to how much it hurt me, my husband or my son in this situation.
legally they have a right to get a lawyer. i even understand the desire to get 1. if the police showed up at my house tonight and said we think you killed some1 i would want a lawyer. i guess for me the creepy part is how this played out. a man enters his sons bedroom and finds the body of a girl that has been dead for days. a girl he and his wife knew. after 48 hours the body should have already began to rot. it's Florida in the summer. flies are on this young girl. the smell must have rolled his stomach. i wont go into details of what happens to a body after 2 days if it is not kept below a certain temperature but needless to say it is not pleasant. dad then leaves mom in the house with the body to get a lawyer. i love my son but i don't know if i could sit in the house alone with the body of a girl i knew lying in the next room. this sounds like the opposite of shock to me. in shock you scream and run to a neighbor. u go on autopilot and call 911. to find this body and sit down and think out the best move sits wrong in my gut.

Can't wait to hear the details about cause of death and place of death.
IF this beautiful, young woman was killed in that home, the parents have a lot of explaining to do. I imagine a dead body weighs alot and isn't easy to maneuver, so the body wasn't moved around totally silent.

Investigators say they found duct tape in Buckley's hair, bruises on her body and evidence of rape, an autopsy revealed the girl was strangled, beaten and sexually abused ...

Go to TOP VIDEO's on this page and look for "Dad finds body in son's closet" for video.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290564,00.html

They play the 911 call and the FATHER IS A DOPE. He says he wants to report"a drug overdose".

ARGH.
:furious: :banghead: :behindbar

The tone of his voice tells me everything about he raised his son. :razz:

You're right, the accused/guilty do deserve legal representation. BUT the young women found dead in the guys closet deserved something too, how about a little respect. The parents running off to cover their son's *advertiser censored* makes me sick. They should be charged with something.
Retorical question--
Who in their right mind, after finding a body in their home, would seek legal council BEFORE calling 911, the police, etc? :waitasec:

Someone who knows their son is going to face life in prison or possibly the death sentence. I think I'd have called my attorney and LE at about the same time and have instructed my son to say nothing. Course, it definetly would look to the parents as if the son is guilty, but surely they were hoping for that 1 in a million chance that he wasn't--that maybe he'd let other friends in there too and he wasn't responsible for the body. Sounds crazy but parents will grasp at anything.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's not that uncommon. Didn't J Ramsey call his attorney right about the time he called the cops????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back