WI - Six people shot to death by Forest County deputy, Crandon, Oct 7, 2007

I just wonder if a little common sense wouldn't have gone a long way. Twenty years old seems quite young to be in law enforcement. We've been informed he was a deputy with Forest County since January 2007, but how long did he work part time with the Crandon Police Department? If Peterson graduated at 18 from h.s., how long did he actually spend training? (Obviously, not long enough.)

I, too, feel sorry for the family. How can they survive in this town when nearly everyone in Crandon knows or is related to one of the victims?
I don't know if this applies in WI, but C.L.E.E.T. basic training for full time peace officers here is 326 hours. Also it requires that they have a HS education or a GED and be 21yo before completion of basic certification training. This seems to only apply to full time here and he was only part time with their PD.

http://www.cleet.state.ok.us/about.htm

Psych exams are required by some police and sheriff's depts. But it is not something that is required by state or fed. gov. Therefore smaller police depts and sheriffs depts. and even some state LE don't give them routinely. They rely on their training instructors observations, background info, their own impressions of the officer.
If there are any problems with an officer on the job, they may or may not be referred for psych.

LOL, in some small LE you do get some who are shall we say, have an inflated sense of their 'power'.

Our small town has had several "power freak cops". They hired one & he was the town drunk in the next town over. He was a wise guy / always belittling people & throwing his badge around like he was King Tut. They had sooooo many complaints against him they finally let him go. This guy was nuts & a drunk.......but he did his little stint is what we call it here. He rode around in a cruiser with other cops / had connecvtions & was hired.

I asked where he got his training ( just curious) from the police chief. Later the chief got fired for cruel & inhuman treatment / theft & had to do time in jail / he would go to parties & take alcohol from the kids then sell it to the bars or take it home & drink it.

Now I'm not saying all LE is like that because I know they ARE NOT!
But some little towns don't have the standards as the bigger towns. Normally in order for someone to get hired so young they have to have connections.....I bet that will come out he had to of been related to someone to get hired so young! We'll watch & see if I'm correct!

To clarify my point of the original post, which by the way, I said I wasn't dissing the parents. It was just an observation on how stress makes you say the oddest things. Because the situation for his parents is way beyond "trying". It's downright horrifying!!!!

Oh SuziQ......:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I didn't mean it that way........
I just meant being the parents how could they cope???
They live in a small town / probably friends & neighbors & related to most of them. How sad for them!!!

I knew you were NOT dissing them! I'm so SORRY you thought I meant that.....please forgive me!!! :truce: :truce: :truce: :truce:

Oh SuziQ......:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I didn't mean it that way........
I just meant being the parents how could they cope???
They live in a small town / probably friends & neighbors & related to most of them. How sad for them!!!

I knew you were NOT dissing them! I'm so SORRY you thought I meant that.....please forgive me!!! :truce: :truce: :truce: :truce:

Lol, it's cool. I just wanted to clarify my post before anyone else commented on it! You know what got me about Petersons dad? When he said, IIRC, that they don't know what to say, because no one would believe it anyways. Very sad and very true.

Gunman told friend he lost control after they began to call him a "worthless pig."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=672136

But the way I am reading this article it doesn't say he got in a shootout with police I don't think. The man said TP walked about 50 yards outside the friend's home and was shot by the police that had surrounded the 200 acres.

How do ya ll interpret it? The friend did talk him into talking to the police and giving up his AK15 police issued assault rifle but he would not surrender his pistol.

imoo

Wow, and how many 911 calls were made over how many hours? It doesn't appear that Peterson was holding this family hostage either.

Lol, it's cool. I just wanted to clarify my post before anyone else commented on it! You know what got me about Petersons dad? When he said, IIRC, that they don't know what to say, because no one would believe it anyways. Very sad and very true.

Yes living in a small town in Wi like I do. Oh my gosh!!! I truely have the deepest sympathy for the Peterson family. They will be shunned by everyone..........I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to them.

But we all know thats the way it really is. It just breaks my heart for his poor family. They I bet were sleeping minding there own business when it occured. The pain they must feel!!! SOOOOO SAD!!!

Horrifying situation for all involved.
I have a few questions:
Did the gunman/cop show any signs of depression?
Did he mention to anyone that he was planning on attending the party even though he and his gf had broken up?
Lastly, in my state you cannot be a policeman if you're not 21 when you graduate from the academy.

Horrifying situation for all involved.
I have a few questions:
Did the gunman/cop show any signs of depression?
Did he mention to anyone that he was planning on attending the party even though he and his gf had broken up?
Lastly, in my state you cannot be a policeman if you're not 21 when you graduate from the academy.

In 1 article I read he was depressed on account of the break up.
He had seen some friends about *;30 pm & told them he was going home.
In Wis you apparently can be a cop at 19, scarey as it sounds. Its not what you know in Wi its who you know.

Hi Guys- I was listening to Wisconsin Public Radio today, and the host Ben Merens was discussing this incident with a reporter. The reporter had spoken directly with the man who spent the last hours with the suspect after the shooting. Some interesting information came about. I hope there is a transcript. Here's a link to the host's page.

http://wpr.org/webcasting/audioarchives_display.cfm?Code=bme

Hi Guys- I was listening to Wisconsin Public Radio today, and the host Ben Merens was discussing this incident with a reporter. The reporter had spoken directly with the man who spent the last hours with the suspect after the shooting. Some interesting information came about. I hope there is a transcript. Here's a link to the host's page.

Thank You! There is an audio, I'm starting to listen to it right now.

Thank you mssheila! I am listening to it now.

In Wis you apparently can be a cop at 19, scarey as it sounds. Its not what you know in Wi its who you know.

Yes, he must have cared deeply for this girl. I don't think he had any intentions of going there....not at 8:30 pm anyway. He probably drove by there later and recognized all the cars in the driveway and he may could have seen them through the windows from the outside. IMO he probably parked somewhere close by and began obsessing about what he thought was going on in that house and how quickly she had gone on with her life. When he couldn't control himself anymore I think that is when he approached the door pleading with her to be his girlfriend again but when the others and maybe she started calling him names like "worthless pig" he went ballistic. I think they probably said many other things to him than just the "pig" statement.

I think this had a lot to do with immaturity. One of the Cranden citizens yesterday said this was a crime of passion. I wish he had just left and calmed down and remembered that no crisis last forever and in time it would have been better.

The father of his friend said that TP was very remorseful for what he had done and that is why imo he made the confrontation happen with the Swat Team. He knew one pull of the sniper's trigger and it would be all over for him and he wouldn't have to think about what he had done to so many innocent people including his own parents.

imoo

Yes, he must have cared deeply for this girl. I don't think he had any intentions of going there....not at 8:30 pm anyway. He probably drove by there later and recognized all the cars in the driveway and he may could have seen them through the windows from the outside. IMO he probably parked somewhere close by and began obsessing about what he thought was going on in that house and how quickly she had gone on with her life. When he couldn't control himself anymore I think that is when he approached the door pleading with her to be his girlfriend again but when the others and maybe she started calling him names like "worthless pig" he went ballistic. I think they probably said many other things to him than just the "pig" statement.

I think this had a lot to do with immaturity. One of the Cranden citizens yesterday said this was a crime of passion. I wish he had just left and calmed down and remembered that no crisis last forever and in time it would have been better.

The father of his friend said that TP was very remorseful for what he had done and that is why imo he made the confrontation happen with the Swat Team. He knew one pull of the sniper's trigger and it would be all over for him and he wouldn't have to think about what he had done to so many innocent people including his own parents.imoo

One can only imagine what life behind bars would have been for a cop who killed 6 unarmed people, one of them just 14. Peterson, undoubtedly, knew all of this before the last time he walked out.

A previous poster said that a person could be a cop at age 19 in WI. Can you imagine a middle-aged couple involved in a domestic dispute calling 911 and having a kid arrive? Or, how about an underage cop arresting someone for under-age drinking? Crazy.

Here's what it takes to be a cop in Wisconsin:
The state of Wisconsin doesn't make a psychological evaluation mandatory. The state says applicants should not possess mental or emotional troubles that would adversely affect their duties as an officer. Applicants must also be at least 18 years of age, have a two-year associate degree or 60 college-level credits, and have no felony convictions and no misdemeanor convictions involving domestic violence. What is Wisconsin thinking?

http://www.wisn.com/news/14296792/detail.html

According to this article, Peterson was hired as full-time deputy sheriff on Sept. 11, 2006, at the age of 19, according to personnel records released by the Forest County clerk.

Nineteen and you can be a full-time deputy? Again, what is Wisconsin thinking?

I wonder who and why the people at the party called Peterson a "worthless pig." He held a full-time and a part-time job. That doesn't seem worthless to me.

I wonder who and why the people at the party called Peterson a "worthless pig." He held a full-time and a part-time job. That doesn't seem worthless to me.

And he must have had the college credits to get that job.

Many of the reasons they hire young inexperienced cops is its cheap labor. They can hire LE for $8000.00 to $12,000.00 per yr. The less experience the cheaper the labor.

I am sure that will be the case for TP. The small towns don't have much in the line of budgets for LE.

I heard tonight, TP had a very bad temper. Someone in LE had to of known that about him in a small town.

I still think he was hired by someone who was related to him on the council board / LE / mayor or someone of importance.Thats small town Wi.

cheko1,
hi and thanks for the information.
Earlier this evening I got a chance to watch a news report about the shootings--understandably it's devastated the entire town.:( Fox News reported that the shooter's parents were grieving with the families of those who were killed....the community was that close knit.

To become a Deputy Sheriff in the state of Wis:

The state says applicants should not possess mental or emotional troubles that would adversely affect their duties as an officer. Applicants must also be at least 18 years of age, have a two-year associate degree or 60 college-level credits, and have no felony convictions and no misdemeanor convictions involving domestic violence.

This doesn't really make sense, if TP was hired at 19 how could he of got his 2 yr associate degree? Or 60 college level credits?

cheko1,
hi and thanks for the information.
Earlier this evening I got a chance to watch a news report about the shootings--understandably it's devastated the entire town.:( Fox News reported that the shooter's parents were grieving with the families of those who were killed....the community was that close knit.

Yes they are related to some of them. 2 of the guys he killed were his very best friends......it's just so sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back