Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Christmas morning here.
With all the joy of opening presents from under the Christmas tree, my thoughts drifted back to the beautiful young couple murdered in S.C.. If they had not been murdered, they would be having Christmas with their children and loved ones, also.

I'm wishing all of you a happy and healthy 2009...

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=0263168021

Merry Christmas to you all,
Mysterylover

Ok now...it has been over a year since the forensics lab had the dna in thier lab and were reminded by verna that this needs to be done pronto. Does anyone know what the results yeilded? Has anyone been in contact with Verna? Sorry if repeated post, however I didnt see anything to the effect of DNA coming back or this couple being identified. TIA

I haven't heard anything about the DNA, but I do know that UID cases, especially ones this old, are usually always on the back burner, with new cases coming in all the time and results being required before a certain date.

I can't recall who was in contact with Verna. I'm not the best at making contacts with cases because I tend to figuritively live out of my car for 7 weeks at a time... checking emails and making and recieving phone calls isn't my forte.

If anyone else would like to take on that role, that is, if the person who originally was in contact can't come forth or continue with the case, by all means, give them a call.

Ok now...it has been over a year since the forensics lab had the dna in thier lab and were reminded by verna that this needs to be done pronto. Does anyone know what the results yeilded? Has anyone been in contact with Verna? Sorry if repeated post, however I didnt see anything to the effect of DNA coming back or this couple being identified. TIA

ShadeTreePI and rmf, who post on here occasionally, are the ones who sometimes make contact with Verna. All I know is that the DNA results haven't come back yet but Verna is soon to leave office. She lost the election last summer and her term is up January 1. I know that one of the members of the Sheriff's Dept was working with her; perhaps after she leaves office he can check on the DNA results at the lab in Texas. I seriously doubt if the guy who got elected Sumter County coroner is going to put any time into this case at all. Verna has been working hard on it because she was involved with the case as an assistant coroner back in 1976 when it happened. I really wish the DNA results at least had come back while Verna was still coroner. :(

This is all so sad and too bad. You would think with all the time and effort that Verna has put into this case, that her community would support her in her efforts to get to the bottom of who this people are for crying out loud. They exhumed the body, the hardest part is over, I just dont understand all the delaying now. I could see if they were still stuck up in no where's land trying to get an okay to exhume the body. But the hardest part is already done. I dont know the poster who have been in touch with Verna, Rmf? Can someone who knows her contact Verna? Such a sad story, at least if not closure for the family that dont even know they have loved ones dead, there would be answers and closure for Verna. Jmio. Thanks

The DNA is not back yet. It has been 18 months. I will stay in contact with Verna and the Sheriff and if there are any updates, they'll be posted. Verna does not plan to give up on this case even after she retires.

The DNA is not back yet. It has been 18 months. I will stay in contact with Verna and the Sheriff and if there are any updates, they'll be posted. Verna does not plan to give up on this case even after she retires.

Thankyou for taking the time out to respond. Cases like these just make you hug your family a little tighter. All so so very sad; On a differant note,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! HOPEFULLY, I PRAY THAT 2009 WILL BE THE YEAR THAT THIS COUPLE CAN BE IDENTIFIED AND BE ABLE TO REST IN PEACE FOR ETERNITY.

This is my first post here. Last night I was directed over here to read on the Caylee Anthony case and this caught my eye. I read everything for hours. I can't imagine how something could have happened so close to my home and it not be something I have ever heard of. One thing is for certain, this couple has haunted me.

I know a little about the racing circuit from that time period as my grandfather (deceased) was a racing hopeful. Drugs were involved with racing. Runs were made with racing cars to various parts of the US (think Dukes of Hazzard). He and my mother (also deceased) traveled from the Midlands of SC to Darlington often. I wonder how connected this couple was to the racing circuit. Or maybe, just maybe, they were just around to go to Myrtle Beach for the bicentennial?

Either way, I agree that these two are probably related. I also have a concern about the owner of the gun. He lived in the area I currently live in. Honestly, this area is full of the "good old boy" nature and it is quite possible that it was known he killed these people, but covered it all up. It is not unusual for anyone to have guns and attempt to hide ownership of them--these people are really afraid their guns will be taken from them.

These are just my observations from living in this area.

Sadly, I agree as well. The truth and the killer in my opinion died before justice could be served. In todays world, a suspect would never get away that easy...well, I guess we still have technicalities..but I dont see them ever getting thier justice, but at least for crying out loud, give them thier identities, so that they may rest in peace.

I can't stop thinking about these two since I read this thread last week.

One thing that stands out in my mind is the dental work. If they were related wouldn't she have had the same access to dental work as he? It seems like he had been better taken care of dentristy wise.

Also wouldn't it have been fairly easy to tell if they were from here because of that dental work? I memory serves me, it seems like there were different dental techniques outside of the U.S. as in maybe different filling types and crown types???

Sadly, I agree as well. The truth and the killer in my opinion died before justice could be served. In todays world, a suspect would never get away that easy...well, I guess we still have technicalities..but I dont see them ever getting thier justice, but at least for crying out loud, give them thier identities, so that they may rest in peace.

I can't imagine someone somewhere didn't miss either one of these two. On the other hand they may have left home (in another country) under some sort of argument, or left parents that didn't care about them?

Fights with family go a long way towards cutting family ties. Sad but true.

I can't imagine someone somewhere didn't miss either one of these two. On the other hand they may have left home (in another country) under some sort of argument, or left parents that didn't care about them?

Fights with family go a long way towards cutting family ties. Sad but true.

That is always what I imagined actually happened. If the person who played pool with the guy at the KOA Campground is our John Doe, and the story he told the guy was true - that his father was a prominent doctor in Canada and disowned him because he gave up his own career in medicine - then I always believed that was the reason no one was really looking for him. His father could have been very bull-headed and just outright disowned him and never gave it a second thought. You're right, that happens in a lot of families and it is very sad. But I still find it very hard to believe, no matter how stubborn his father may have been, that he or someone else in his family haven't tried to search for him after considerable time went by without hearing from him. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that the WHOLE family just dismissed him like that and never started to worry about him. I mean, it's going to be 33 years this August! The same goes for her family. At some point you would think someone would seriously wonder what happened to one or both of them.

I think the case of Maricopa Jane Doe/Tawni Lee Mazzone has shown that it's very possible for someone to be reported missing, but still escape us and LE in searches for the unidentified. That case took nearly 10 years to solve, however.

Personally, I don't find it helpful to know why or speculate why someone hasn't been reported missing, or if family is trying to find them or not. *I'm* trying to find them. *We're* trying to find them. They're important to us, even if we never knew them in life. It's unfortunate, though.

I think what was posted above about Jock Doe's father being a prominent doctor and disowning his son for not following in his footsteps is most likely than anything. If the doctor is still alive today, he very well could have forgiven his son, but assumed his son would not forgive him. If they have any siblings, they could very well be looking for their brother or sister.

Personally, I don't think the two are related. There's a chance Jock met Jane on his travels. But really, I think at this point anything is possible.

That's just my two cents.

For that exact reason, I truly do not believe they were related. He had much more expensive dental work..it was he was said his father is a well known canadian doctor...i believe they either ran away together, met up somewhere, were dating...but in no way were they related to each other..jmho

http://www.missingcanadians.ca/MissingPeopleInfo.html#BrianGuberman

This guy, Brian Guberman, has been missing since 1974. He told his family he was going to do some traveling, but they haven't heard from him since. I think he looks a little bit like the John Doe in the photos. He would have been almost 30 in 1976.

Brian Guberman has already been ruled out. I don't have time to look right now but it was either in Thread #1 or Thread #2. IIRC, his sister was in contact with someone and she said it wasn't him. I think that was how he was ruled out. It was a good suggestion though because I do see a definite resemblance between Brian and John Doe.

For that exact reason, I truly do not believe they were related. He had much more expensive dental work..it was he was said his father is a well known canadian doctor...i believe they either ran away together, met up somewhere, were dating...but in no way were they related to each other..jmho

I have never thought they were related to each other either. I think they look alike as far as maybe being European or being from another country other than the USA, but I just don't feel they are brother or sister.

Brian Guberman has already been ruled out. I don't have time to look right now but it was either in Thread #1 or Thread #2. IIRC, his sister was in contact with someone and she said it wasn't him. I think that was how he was ruled out. It was a good suggestion though because I do see a definite resemblance between Brian and John Doe.
I'm sorry. I didn't see the name in the earlier threads. Does anyone know if this case has ever been profiled on "America's Most Wanted" or "Unsolved Mysteries"?

I'm sorry. I didn't see the name in the earlier threads. Does anyone know if this case has ever been profiled on "America's Most Wanted" or "Unsolved Mysteries"?

That's OK...there so much to sift through here. It was on Unsolved Mysteries either in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I didn't see the episode. I think the episode can be found online. I'll have to check that out when I have time. I actually wrote a letter to America's Most Wanted, Dateline and 48 Hours to see if they would profile the case. Dateline e-mailed me and said it was too old of a case for them to air. I never heard from 48 Hours even though I also e-mailed them. AMW sent me a postcard thanking me for sending them the case and they promised to look into it and get back with me but I haven't heard anything.

elliottness said:
http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=50572

Someone named MaryBeth posted this news story link a couple of years ago. If you scroll down, you'll notice that someone named iceni69 left two comments and one of them is "I know who they are and who killed them and it didn't happen in 1976."

That's me, MaryBeth, I changed my name on here. I never noticed those comments before. I can't imagine what that person means because they WERE killed in 1976. The next comment they left about stating how sad it was that nobody cares; well, they could have called the former Coroner, Verna Moore with their information. They were probably from a prankster just leaving strange comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv