UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't get to sleep right away last night so I tumbled this case around in my head.

Some random thoughts:

Josh is crying because he does not have control of the situation. My DH can be very controlling (but is doing so much better with counseling) and is as manly as they come, and the only time I've seen him break down is when he felt he didn't have control of his life or some important situation. All Josh has to do is think, "I can't control these people!" and bam! Instant sorrow "for Susan."

Regarding this being pre-meditated, I personally don't feel that it was, but I do see that as a possibility. I think if it was pre-mediated than something went way wrong or Josh would have had a much better alibi or at least rehearsed his story.

I just don't see anyone planning to use a midnight tiny tot camping trip in freezing weather and "forgetting" what day it was as an alibi. He also should have returned a whole lot sooner to take care of the fans, call into Susan's work to pretend concern over if she was there and call in to his own employer to let them know he wouldn't be coming in cause his wife was missing. The fans would have been put away long before LE ever came by. He surely would have known that if his wife didn't show up to work, he didn't show up to work and the kids didn't show up to daycare, some calls are going to be made. Imo, this was either a crime of passion or the worst thought out pre-meditated murder in history.

Pretty telling that when asked if she thought Josh had anything to do with it, his sister said, "I sure hope not," instead of something like, "Absolutely NOT!" I'm surprised she'd even admit that. She looks just like him, but seems a lot more upset about Susan than he is.
I agree with you all the way. But I have thought long and hard as to this and to add to your scenario. It is probably really horrible to even think this... but along the lines that he did not plan to kill her and it happened in rage or a mistake...and when he realized she was dead, he was so distraught and had such a hard time coming up with what to do with her since she is dead, and in the panic of it all, he then considered just taking the kids and her body and knowing how close everyone is their in their community - he was going to kill the kids and himself. I wonder if they have ever questioned him or have knowledge of any weapon he may have owned. But in the end - he could not do anything to the kids, he just had to keep driving around and around to find a place to leave the body, then go back home.

I agree with you all the way. But I have thought long and hard as to this and to add to your scenario. It is probably really horrible to even think this... but along the lines that he did not plan to kill her and it happened in rage or a mistake...and when he realized she was dead, he was so distraught and had such a hard time coming up with what to do with her since she is dead, and in the panic of it all, he then considered just taking the kids and her body and knowing how close everyone is their in their community - he was going to kill the kids and himself. I wonder if they have ever questioned him or have knowledge of any weapon he may have owned. But in the end - he could not do anything to the kids, he just had to keep driving around and around to find a place to leave the body, then go back home.
A narcissist/psychopath would never hurt themselves. Never, never, never.... Everything points to Josh being NPD/psychopath... I hope the investigators have a good clinical forensic psychologist with them...

Thank GOD she had a journal.... smart girl... I don't know you Susan, but you are my kind of girl!!!

I think one of the most important clues will be the underlying cause of that wet spot.

Another thing I was going to say:

Usually, with any missing case or crime, you can find a handful of people whose comment favor the potential suspect. I can't seem to find anyone who thinks it's possible that Josh is not involved in Susan's disappearance. Other than his family and Susan's family/friends, no one is really debating or providing any possibilities that go in his favor. Pretty much seems to be a concensus on this one.

Very telling.....

Another thing I was going to say:

Usually, with any missing case or crime, you can find a handful of people whose comment favor the potential suspect. I can't seem to find anyone who thinks it's possible that Josh is not involved in Susan's disappearance. Other than his family and Susan's family/friends, no one is really debating or providing any possibilities that go in his favor. Pretty much seems to be a concensus on this one.

Very telling.....

You're right. Even his own sister, when questioned as to whether he could have hurt Susan, could only say, "I hope not".

I wonder why they have not put out a picture of his van so people would know what it looked like and hopefully report it if they saw it somwhere that early morning ?

OK, I just finished reading through all the new posts since I was last here. This case has been on HLN news two times in the last two hours, not anything new really that we don't already know here. I'm blown away about the journal find - that could be the key to the case proving motive, but they still need to find the body. Unfortunately, there is so much desert and wilderness out there, that she may not be found soon, if ever. Josh had a lot of time to dispose of her - I think it was 17 hours he was gone before that contact Monday afternoon on the phone with Jovanna, when he stated he was "driving around with the kids." The prosecution case may have to be circumstantial, utilizing forensic evidence and that journal. I think its only a matter of time before he is arrested. Hopefully, anyway! :cool:

Does anyone know what the laws/rules are in Utah in regards to evidence/discovery? Just wondering how liberal they are. I know, it's not Florida, but I hope they can release some of this stuff, as long as it doesn't hurt their case/investigation.

If Susan is gone, my prayer would be that (if she's out there in the frozen desert) they find her as quickly as possible and enough evidence is present to find out what happened and put the pieces of this puzzle together.

Ah, now this is good news. It's nice that they've been treating him with kid gloves so far. But they need to remind him that behind the kid gloves, there are iron fists.

There should be no justifiable reason that he wouldn't be willing to tell them where he was camping. I can't think of any scenario where sharing information like that could possibly harm him, if he is telling the truth. I could see an attorney saying, "Don't answer questions about your marriage. That could come back to bite you." But the place he was camping? Come on. Best case scenario, he tells them, and they go and find some sort of information that verifies his story. Worst case, they don't find anything. It's been a week and a half, and it's snowed here at least a couple times. It would make sense that they couldn't find anything. They aren't going to convict him for murder because they can't find evidence that he camped. And it's an olive branch for law enforcement - it shows their interests are aligned.

I hope he's sweating. .

Even if he never talks, and even if her body is never found, he CAN be prosecuted through circumstantial evidence, right? There are just a ton of things in this case which point to his guilt.

Ah, now this is good news. It's nice that they've been treating him with kid gloves so far. But they need to remind him that behind the kid gloves, there are iron fists.

There should be no justifiable reason that he wouldn't be willing to tell them where he was camping. I can't think of any scenario where sharing information like that could possibly harm him, if he is telling the truth. I could see an attorney saying, "Don't answer questions about your marriage. That could come back to bite you." But the place he was camping? Come on. Best case scenario, he tells them, and they go and find some sort of information that verifies his story. Worst case, they don't find anything. It's been a week and a half, and it's snowed here at least a couple times. It would make sense that they couldn't find anything. They aren't going to convict him for murder because they can't find evidence that he camped. And it's an olive branch for law enforcement - it shows their interests are aligned.

I hope he's sweating. .

above bbm

good post, dom! ita

Even if he never talks, and even if her body is never found, he CAN be prosecuted through circumstantial evidence, right? There are just a ton of things in this case which point to his guilt.

Yes, he can still be convicted without a body, circumstantial evidence. Jane is tearing the story up!

A notebook that Susan Powell kept in her desk at work, possibly containing information about her relationship with her husband, was among the items seized by investigators last week, several sources have told the Deseret News.

The notebook, according to one source, detailed threats allegedly made against the missing West Valley City woman about a year ago.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...seized-by-West-Valley-police-sources-say.html

Sheesh, Chris Coleman anyone?

Experience tells me they will be along soon enough, as they have been in other cases. Watch for these telltale phrases:

--Convicted by The Media
--Rush to Judgment
--Just because he went camping...
--Just because he cheated... (I still think this one's out there somewhere)

I see that the domain "joshisinnocent.com" has not been snapped up yet...

first of all - I LOVE YOUR AVATAR lol too funny :)

i too think there is something hiding out there, moo that there has to be some kinda reason or agenda ie another woman, debt....something

I wonder why they have not put out a picture of his van so people would know what it looked like and hopefully report it if they saw it somwhere that early morning ?

This has been nagging at me as well.

I can only hope they've taken photos of it to gas stations et cetera...but the public might have been able to help.

This is just wishful thinking, but maybe they have not because they know where he was. I doubt that, though, but I can hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23