NJ - Teia Gallo, 20, stabbed to death, Washington Twp, 26 Dec 2013

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/2...ister/?cmpid=edpick&google_editors_picks=true

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. – A northern New Jersey teenager has appeared in court to face charges that he fatally stabbed his 20-year-old sister with a kitchen knife during an argument.

Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says the 17-year-old suspect stabbed his sister Teia (TEE'-uh) Gallo multiple times around 5:30 p.m. Thursday in their Washington Township home.

Friday's court hearing in Hackensack was closed because the suspect is a juvenile. A public defender entered a not guilty plea. Prosecutors say they will decide within the next month whether to have the suspect tried as an adult.

Officials say the suspect and victim are among 12 children in the family. The prosecutor says another sibling was home at the time of the stabbing and called 911. The Gallo family had nine biological children before deciding to adopt the suspect, victim and victim's sister. ........

More at link.....

I wish I knew why the news org felt a need to note that he was adopted in the headline. From what I understand the adopted bit has nothing to do with the motivation behind his crime. It would appear he stabbed his biological sister who was also adopted?

So to me, the fact he and his victim?sister were both adopted seems an unrelated fact that bears no relation to the crime being reported?

Also, what does the father being a doctor have to do with the price of beans?

Reporters confuse me sometimes.

This is not criticism toward your OP Reader, you know how I appreciate the many thread starts and cases you bring to WS member attention. I am just noticing more and more the headlines news orgs chose to run with.

No problem, tlcya....anything to draw the attention or make the case a little different, IMO.

Actually, I didn't read that as saying the 2 were biological brother and sister, but it's not clear and I agree, it doesn't really matter. The article did say she had wanted to move to live at her college due to his anger toward her. Very sad, only 20, attending college and trying to improve herself. I hope he is charged as an adult.

No problem, tlcya....anything to draw the attention or make the case a little different, IMO.

Actually, I didn't read that as saying the 2 were biological brother and sister, but it's not clear and I agree, it doesn't really matter. The article did say she had wanted to move to live at her college due to his anger toward her. Very sad, only 20, attending college and trying to improve herself. I hope he is charged as an adult.

yes, it was interesting that bit about her apparently expressing concerns about his anger. And yet his father stated he had noticed nothing untoward. I am hoping we hear more about what her concerns were and when this anger issue she was concerned with became apparent to her and what it seemed to stem from. Was it directed towards her alone or was it a problem he was having in general towards everyone?

I wish I knew why the news org felt a need to note that he was adopted in the headline. From what I understand the adopted bit has nothing to do with the motivation behind his crime. It would appear he stabbed his biological sister who was also adopted?

So to me, the fact he and his victim?sister were both adopted seems an unrelated fact that bears no relation to the crime being reported?

This is not criticism toward your OP Reader, you know how I appreciate the many thread starts and cases you bring to WS member attention. I am just noticing more and more the headlines news orgs chose to run with.

The media is feeding into the notion that adopted children have behavioral issues and can pose a risk to other family members.

The media is feeding into the notion that adopted children have behavioral issues and can pose a risk to other family members.

thank you for expressing so well the oogy that headline gave me. It was THAT. The notion that the adoption might somehow suggest he was "damaged goods" and that it was somehow predetermined that he would stab or harm someone.

Thank you! That was my first question. A son is a son IMO.
Why bring up the fact that he was adopted?
My husband was adopted.
Maybe I am biased.
moo

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Another theory on the headline wording, not my own beliefs:

Saying the father is a 'doctor' right off kind of elevates him in some people's minds. A doctor is educated and would know how to handle children. Including the fact that he and his wife (why is she not quoted?) had 9 children and then adopted 3 more, and this boy is the only one who has caused a problem, tells the reader that it is none of the parents' fault. This particular kid is just an anomaly in the family so no further questions need to be asked about what was going on and why he is 'angry'.

IMO

My husband was adopted.
Maybe I am biased.
moo

I hate the way the media tosses adoption around... Like you, I'm biased.
My grandfather was adopted, I've adopted.
You never see the headline, "Biological Child Murders xxxxx"

Speaking of.., I watched the Christmas movie Elf for the first time... That too was disrespectful of adoption. Maybe I'm too sensitive, I dunno. ( I really don't think so)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

When the name is changed on the birth certificate, that's it for me: you are the full parent of that child. If you don't want to be a full-for-life parent to a child, don't adopt.

My husband was adopted.
Maybe I am biased.
moo

Exactly. The headline ticked me off too. I have 3 children adopted from state foster car, and they are incredibly awesome people.

It sounds as if the son had some anger issues that may have carried over from his biological parents or within the foster care system. Is it possible the Dr. just wanted to make it clear he did not raise this child from an infant but took him in with his problems and all that comes with it? Somehow these kids can fall through the cracks. When they really need that counseling it probably was not given to them. Something went wrong for sure. jmo

http://www.northjersey.com/news/was...-guilty-in-stabbing-death-of-sister-1.1258812

A Washington Township teenager indicted last month in the December 2013 stabbing death of his sister pleaded not guilty Monday during his arraignment on murder charges in state Superior Court in Hackensack...

No plea offer has been extended by Bergen County prosecutors, Roe said, adding it is too early to say whether the case will go to trial or be resolved by a plea agreement. “Certain affirmative defenses will be raised in the case bearing on his mental capacity at the time of the incident,” Roe said. He declined to elaborate at this time.

Gallo was indicted Dec. 3 on first-degree murder charges in connection with the Dec. 26, 2013 slaying. If convicted on that charge, he could face 30 years to life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back