WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Unfortunately, in this case, we have no witnesses, at least none that have stepped forward, and we have no obvious evidence that points to anyone in particular." (Wenatchee World on March 12)

In light of this comment, by police spokesman Doug Jones, a few questions:

1. Why do people continue to believe LE knows who did this and is just being thorough before making an arrest?

2. Why are so many people still so convinced that JF had something to do with this? (With no "strangers" to investigate, that we know of, LE has had a month to investigate those closest to MC. I'm guessing mom's deadbeat boyfriend has gotten a lot of attention, so if he did it, don't you think LE would have figured it out by now?)

3. Scale of 1-10, how confident is everyone that police will have an arrest a month from now?

CCmom, If I thought it would help I would. I've seen how these threads can take off in random directions and I do not want to contribute to that. Rumors drive me crazy. I deal in facts

BBM.

THAT is what we need. Facts.

Saying that, my question--especially after hearing what you've said about LE being unable to pinpoint exactly where MC was when she was at/near the boat ramp...

The NV2 has GPS capability, which was one of the major selling features of this phone. If MC had GPS on her phone, then would that help narrow down exactly where she was?

I respectably disagree that ww did anything wrong. I believe they were about two weeks too late, as a matter of fact.

If one were to go back through all of our threads, since the begining, one would find the cat was already out of the bag.

What is detrimental about a reporter reporting the news? It seems to me like it should have been part the reporters' hiring packet/ job description.

In my humble opinion, it was the monster that murdered MC, AND IS STILL ON THE LOOSE, that disrespected her family. NOT THE W.W..

Reality is not always wrapped in a pretty white box......

I, too, believe WW should have published the autopsy findings when they initially received that information.

How could holding back that particular information help LE in identifying and verifying a perp?

Would there be a line of eager confessors stacked along the outside of the police station waiting to be interviewed because they each wanted to confess and take credit for this fantastic crime of the century?

Confessor #43: "Ummm .. I... I ..... kicked her in the shins and then I slapped her and made her eat mashmellows until she died ... "
Officer: "No, sorry, you lose. You don't know the secret COD. Next!"

To another point made by LE, that they want to avoid clueing in the perp as to what they know so that the perp would not know to cover their tracks.

Surely LE is aware a perp expects a coroner to interpret much of any evidence they might find on a body.

Perp: "Bwahahahaa ... they'll never find out I strangled her ... bwahaha".

Sorry, I just find some of LE's reasoning as applied to this particular autopsy report to be absurd, but then again I'm on the outside looking in.

I can understand if LE believes they might find evidence in a specific location that they would not want the perp to know they would be searching that location @ 11:30 am the next morning ... LE wouldn't want the perp or his minions to go to and 'clean' the location before LE's arrival.

I also believe reality dictates the opposite has some merit: that LE would not want a perp to know just how little they actually *really know* about a case ... they wouldn't want to embolden the character to 'perform' again since LE is unable to crack a previous 'performance'.

Anyway, it's a dangerous and tricky business being 'on the job'. Certainly I would not want to continue with such a job where you have to work scenes where a child or a senior was murdered. That LE personnel do what they do day after day astounds me and believe me, I am grateful for their courage and fortitude.

what do we know about the detectives working the case and what they "specialize " in?

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/mar/12/cowell-case-still-a-mystery/
"The task force remains at nine full-time detectives, Jones said, and there has been no talk of scaling back anytime soon. "

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/photos/2010/mar/12/55818/

i see 13 people...can anyone zoom in and see what the two people in the back are looking at on the computer? and i see maps on the back wall.. any ideas? see anything new?

The one on the back left is looking at a long tabular list, could be phone records, residences (property records), known offenders...who knows. The one on the right is using some type of application software that I am not familiar with...possibly a specialized LE software.

2 things I noticed in the picture focusing on the 8 around the table:

The closest laptop does not appear to have a text document on it - maybe video, maybe picture, maybe weather.com?

The 2 wearing jackets have travel type coffee mugs near them, (one has his directly in front of him), (other one is standing and on his cell phone). Stake-out? Wonder if Makesmewonder has seen either of those two in the neighborhood?

Also, does anyone wanna take a drive up toward Blewett Pass today and look for increased LE activity?

It's a beautiful day for a drive alt. I'll get back to you.

I have been following this case through websleuths for weeks now. I rarely post my thoughts or opinions simply because I am not from the area nor do I have any connections to anyone related to the case - therefore I am reluctant if I am not certain about what I am posting. I do appreciate the information all of the locals give and all of the time and effort everyone who posts regularly is putting into searching for justice for Mackenzie. For some reason, this case has touched my heart and I pray they find the person(s) responsible for this.
I have felt from the beginning (like many) that this was done by someone close to her or who at least knew her. I have always in the back of my mind thought of jealousy being a factor. (I know others have stated this too.) After hearing the COD, I feel more strongly this may be the case. I keep thinking of a case years ago regarding a victim named Shanda Sharer. Does anyone recall that case? I am in no way implying that the specific cirmanstances could be the scenerio here- I am just thinkng that in general it could be similar. Girls being extremely jealous of their "competition" therefore eliminating her? Just thought I'd throw this out here and see if anyone else had been reminded of that case when reading about Mackenzie.

i tried too zoom need a magnifing glass it would be interesting whats on those screens

It appears to be a general media room, note the large LCD panel and projector hanging at the top left center.

One of the LCD desktop panels in the background appears to be displaying an image, it's red .. perhaps some of the interior or exterior of MC's car?

The maps on the rear board might or might not be specific to the MC case but the first map seems to be an overhead of the PC area. The next appears to be over Wenatchee. The item hidden behind the gentlemen facing the camera appears to be a large photo or terrain map.

There is no large sleuthing whiteboard visible in the pic except for the easled large white pad in the center right. Going by how the projector is mounted I suspect a large screen or wallboard area to the right of the visible pic.

Some of the investigators seem new or lost ... one with his arms folded, seems he doesn't like what's begin said or doesn't want to be there? Why is 'blue shirt' seemingly giving him the hairy eyeball?

Others seem quite diligent, reading their case work-ups.

The one standing to the right of the table, with his hand in his pocket? Is he keeping something to himself while presenting a case overview speech, or is he anticipating grabbing car keys to get moving along with the day? Or maybe he simply is scratching his leg.

My point is, overall none seem up-beat in any way (as in, near-resolving the case). They appear to be exhausted or exasperated.

If I'm reading the clock correctly it shows 6:16? The view from the window doesn't provide enough clues as to whether it's AM or PM. If's it's AM these guys need a break; appearing that beat up and showing little to no enthusiam during the morning's updater is not a good sign.

I am surprised at the mild mess on the table. It is organized to a degree, but some papers appear haphazardly strewn in their trays. Also, anyone could take any sheet ... appears to be no chain-of-ownership of the interview and evidence sheets? Or perhaps they are fact sheet fillers for their personal binders.

Attachments

• MC_investigators_LCD_image.png
    MC_investigators_LCD_image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
I, too, believe WW should have published the autopsy findings when they initially received that information.

How could holding back that particular information help LE in identifying and verifying a perp?

Would there be a line of eager confessors stacked along the outside of the police station waiting to be interviewed because they each wanted to confess and take credit for this fantastic crime of the century?

Confessor #43: "Ummm .. I... I ..... kicked her in the shins and then I slapped her and made her eat mashmellows until she died ... "
Officer: "No, sorry, you lose. You don't know the secret COD. Next!"

To another point made by LE, that they want to avoid clueing in the perp as to what they know so that the perp would not know to cover their tracks.

Surely LE is aware a perp expects a coroner to interpret much of any evidence they might find on a body.

Perp: "Bwahahahaa ... they'll never find out I strangled her ... bwahaha".

Sorry, I just find some of LE's reasoning as applied to this particular autopsy report to be absurd, but then again I'm on the outside looking in.

I can understand if LE believes they might find evidence in a specific location that they would not want the perp to know they would be searching that location @ 11:30 am the next morning ... LE wouldn't want the perp or his minions to go to and 'clean' the location before LE's arrival.

I also believe reality dictates the opposite has some merit: that LE would not want a perp to know just how little they actually *really know* about a case ... they wouldn't want to embolden the character to 'perform' again since LE is unable to crack a previous 'performance'.

Anyway, it's a dangerous and tricky business being 'on the job'. Certainly I would not want to continue with such a job where you have to work scenes where a child or a senior was murdered. That LE personnel do what they do day after day astounds me and believe me, I am grateful for their courage and fortitude.

Well said chuck... sometimes I wish I could click on the thanks button twice in one post when Im extra thankful :)...

I live in the area where this horrific crime happened. I have been following this case from the beginning.
I agree with you on the fact that : no one has any proof of who it was that sent a text from the cell phone in question that is missing.
Facts - proven facts
1- MC is seen leaving beauty school at 3:01pm
2-BF texts "hey" to MC and a text response "hey" is returned back at 3:40pm (ping of phones location is boat launch area at park.)
That is a 40 minute gap. A lot can happen in a 40 minute time span ? I find it very strange that it was such a brief response in reply with regards to text messages !
My gut tells me this :pure speculation and a thought of theory from what I see of this :
MC meet with more than one person after leaving school.I believe that MC got into another vehicle and that is the crime scenes location - another vehicle. I believe MC knew the killer(s)
There is no proof that MC and her phone were both at the park - only the phone itself .
I believe the key to solving this case is getting info on the where abouts of MC's car between 3:01pm -- 3:40pm
This is again my speculation and theory using some of the facts to this case.
My thoughts and prayers are with helping MC find who did this horrific crime to her for she deserves at least that much respect! We all are trying to help and I as a mother of three grown daughters could not emagine having to live with knowing what happened to this young girl. My heart goes out to MC -

This is the only hole I can poke your theory (and whether you think it's relevent or not is up to you) but the relationship between WC and JF was NOT new.

The relationship between WC & JF is about 18-24 months old and living together for about 14 months; wasn't there a reference to JF having a new baby in Jan 2009 with almost ex-3 which would mean WC & JF got together during that pregnancy? Does that concur with your information, Miss Maple?

I too thought this from the beginning! My daughter has a friend that went to the beauty school with MC. This good friend of my daughters said MC was upset about a common boyfriend that broke up with one of MC's friends to go out with another girl (not in my daughter's group of friends). My daughter met MC for the first time ever at the mall (my daughter was with her friend that went to beauty school with MC). She witnessed MC going up to another girl and started to cuss them out. My daughter told MC that she needed to watch her mouth because small children and families were around. My daughter and her girlfriends feel that MC might have mouthed off to the wrong people and ticked someone off that was gang related. I in no way want to say MC was bad for speaking her mind. Teens get passionate about sticking up for their friends all the time.

Advance apology if already asked. When did this occur?

Originally Posted by ChelanCountyMom
I too thought this from the beginning! My daughter has a friend that went to the beauty school with MC. This good friend of my daughters said MC was upset about a common boyfriend that broke up with one of MC's friends to go out with another girl (not in my daughter's group of friends). My daughter met MC for the first time ever at the mall (my daughter was with her friend that went to beauty school with MC). She witnessed MC going up to another girl and started to cuss them out. My daughter told MC that she needed to watch her mouth because small children and families were around. My daughter and her girlfriends feel that MC might have mouthed off to the wrong people and ticked someone off that was gang related. I in no way want to say MC was bad for speaking her mind. Teens get passionate about sticking up for their friends all the time.

One wonders if MC occasionally 'let loose' because of her own pent-up anger from being teased for so many years?

All it would have taken is for MC to have met up with that wrong someone who enjoyed taking revenge on anyone who dis'd them, no matter the reason.

Of course, it could have been an SO that murdered MC, or it could have been someone very close to her.

Whomever did it, they wanted LE to be spread out across such a wide area investigating this case to allow enough time to cover missed tracks or for a head-start get-away.

BBM.

THAT is what we need. Facts.

Saying that, my question--especially after hearing what you've said about LE being unable to pinpoint exactly where MC was when she was at/near the boat ramp...

The NV2 has GPS capability, which was one of the major selling features of this phone. If MC had GPS on her phone, then would that help narrow down exactly where she was?

I did a little research on cell phone tracking. This is what I came up with...
GPS off:
-In an urban or downtown setting, depending upon the number of towers, can accurately determine location of cell phone to approximately 150ft
-In rural setting, much worse accuracy based on number of towers, can be as poor as +-10-15 miles.
GPS on:
-Cell location accurate to 5-10 ft

[/I]

One wonders if MC occasionally 'let loose' because of her own pent-up anger from being teased for so many years?

All it would have taken is for MC to have met up with that wrong someone who enjoyed taking revenge on anyone who dis'd them, no matter the reason.

Of course, it could have been an SO that murdered MC, or it could have been someone very close to her.

Whomever did it, they wanted LE to be spread out across such a wide area investigating this case to allow enough time to cover missed tracks or for a head-start get-away.

[Response to comments in lighter blue]
What if (speculation) she really wasn't teased all that much for SO many years by her peers? What if there was a close family member who obsessed about the deformity that to most was relatively insignificant? What if the focus was shifted to thinking "others" persecuted her more about her jaw than someone intimately close to her? JMHO >> just wondering? :sick:

[/I]

yes I have to agree.I believe it is someone she knew or familiar with association in people she knew.The key is location of car between 3:01pm - 3:40pm after leaving the beauty school. If only someone could come forward with identifying having seeing her car during that period of time ? I am hoping that LE could possibly have this type of information.

I've seen MS-13 tagged here in town..this is getting scarey.. not in my town I keep thinking, but isnt that what they all say?

I agree, the "wanna-be" gangsters have really made a mess around town with their tags. Ruining private property, dumpsters and buildings, BUT that is about the extent of their activity.

I think they play with spray paint quite often, but not murder people. If she wasn't strangled I might be able to be convinced. If it was just stab wounds and being hit then I would be completely back to square one and everyone, including gang members, would be POI(s).

Strangulation is just too personal. Gangs rarely even touch the body of a person they kill even to move it, let alone put their hands all over it to leave their prints. When gangs are done they normally flee instantly. Based on the amount of time it took to find the body, I'm not convinced it was placed at CB the exact day it happened. Whoever did this didn't seem to just "flee". If they did I think they would have left a giant trail of solid evidence behind and we wouldn't be in the situation we are today. JMHO :)

Great question, and still hard to answer.... IF both the incoming and out going message were off the same site, the same face, and the same power level then yes. Because its a valley and its near water no. You could pick up 1 of 7 towers in the area.

Like I said, when I testified it was always circumstansial

Doesn't her phone, the LGanV2, have GPS?

Doesn't her phone, the LGanV2, have GPS?

I believe this is a feature you must pay an extra monthly charge for. I had the first EnV and it had a free trial and then I had to pay to continue to use it.

If that is the case, not only would she have had to have it turned on but she would have had to be paying for the service as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong