New Guinea - Amelia Earhart & Fred Noonan, en route to Howland Island, 2 July 1937

I personally think it's her. I've read all I could get my hands on over the years, and I believe the person whose father (I think it was?) was listening to the radio that night and said he heard her. That she had crashlanded or something like that near that island. He relayed the info to LE at the time but nothing ever came of it.

I'll search for the story...

ETA: I found it - but it wasn't the person's father, it was a girl who had heard it and told her father.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/Archives/Documents/Notebook/notebook.html

I'm pretty disappointed at the lack of results, as I also am convinced it is her. Rescuers received SOS signals from that island and did a flyover, but said no humans where there, despite seeing what looked like a clearing. No boats were ever sent to investigate for some reason. But based on the combined anecdotal evidence, I think it very clearly is her. A skeleton was even discovered there years ago, but disappeared, as well. Very strange.

Dark Knight, and Belimom - I too think it is her. I know this will sound suspicious to the point of possible paranoia - but - maybe something/someone/some organization is making sure the tests are inconclusive. What the motive would be for that I don't know - but the skeleton disappearing is really strange to me too. I would love to have a conclusive answer to this. Thanks to both of you for your input.

Dark Knight, and Belimom - I too think it is her. I know this will sound suspicious to the point of possible paranoia - but - maybe something/someone/some organization is making sure the tests are inconclusive. What the motive would be for that I don't know - but the skeleton disappearing is really strange to me too. I would love to have a conclusive answer to this. Thanks to both of you for your input.

What could anyone have done to Earhart that would compare to the atrocities committed in the Pacific over the decade that followed?

What could anyone have done to Earhart that would compare to the atrocities committed in the Pacific over the decade that followed?

Nova, I'm obviously not Kateyes but I don't think anyone here is comparing what happened to Earhart to anything else. I think we're just looking at her mystery in and of itself and trying to figure out what happened.

I think what may be operative here is relunctance to admit she was killed by the Japanese. Ever since 1945 we have kissed up to them in the hope that they will remain on our side and oppose the Chinese. The whole thing is way dysfunctional and someone just needs to declassify what is known.

Nova, I'm obviously not Kateyes but I don't think anyone here is comparing what happened to Earhart to anything else. I think we're just looking at her mystery in and of itself and trying to figure out what happened.

Sorry, my post wasn't clear. I knew Kateyes wasn't comparing the death of two people with, say, the atom bomb.

I just meant that given everything that both the Japanese and we did over the years that followed (including the slaughter of civilians by the hundreds of thousands), why bother denying it if the Japanese executed Earhart as a spy?

But I suppose I can answer by own question, having spent some time studying Japanese culture. It is very concerned with "honor" and "shame"--admitting they did something to Earhart might be viewed as dishonorable. If some bureaucrats somewhere have the records, they might instinctively conceal them out of regard for national honor.

I think what may be operative here is relunctance to admit she was killed by the Japanese. Ever since 1945 we have kissed up to them in the hope that they will remain on our side and oppose the Chinese. The whole thing is way dysfunctional and someone just needs to declassify what is known.

Since 1947 anyway. China was our ally until then.

Personally, I think we gain lots of trade and cultural benefits from our alliance with Japan. Yes, theirs is a very different culture and accommodations are made on both sides.

All I can say is thanks to all for the insights about Japan, their possible role in Amelia's disappearance, and the rationale for why such info, if it does exist, would be kept under wraps. What a great bunch of sleuthing minds!

All I can say is thanks to all for the insights about Japan, their possible role in Amelia's disappearance, and the rationale for why such info, if it does exist, would be kept under wraps. What a great bunch of sleuthing minds!

I should be clear that I was not only speculating, but speaking in very broad terms. I don't have much specific information about what happened in 1937.

Yes, there were tensions in the Pacific, but the U.S. and Japan were not at war then and wouldn't be for 4 more years. It's easy to look at that year through the lens of what happened later.

From 1941 through 1945, millions of people--mostly men, but some thousands of women, too--moved back and forth across the islands of the Pacific. Hundreds of thousands were lost at sea in ships, planes and boats. What are the odds that any one skeleton will be that of Earhart (even if its location seems to conform to where she was lost)?

saw the movie on hbo last night this case has always fascinated me. in the endings of the move it shows her calling out to the itasca something was wrong with her radio and so was the itasca. the itasca also had problems with something else that would have aided them in searching for her but the thing was left on all night and was dead.

http://tighar.org
"The Earhart Project is testing the hypothesis that Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan landed, and eventually died, on Gardner Island, now Nikumaroro in the Republic of Kiribati. Now in its 23rd year, a major underwater search is planned for July 2012, the 75th anniversary of the flight."

there was a book written by a man who claimed a nj women was in fact amelia and lived under another name until her death he did lots of research on the suposed women who was amelia. Amelia Earhart Lives was the book and it was taken off the shelves soon after it went to print saying the book was based on lies and such you can still get the book on amazon.com

there was a book written by a man who claimed a nj women was in fact amelia and lived under another name until her death he did lots of research on the suposed women who was amelia. Amelia Earhart Lives was the book and it was taken off the shelves soon after it went to print saying the book was based on lies and such you can still get the book on amazon.com

IIRC, that woman hated that guy. She was hounded by the media and she wasn't Amelia Earhart. She had a provable history going back to birth.

It's being reported this morning that in the spring of 2009, About 20 staffers from the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute took part in a hush-hush search for Amelia's Electra in the Pacific near her last reported position. No wreckage or other evidence of what happened to Amelia or her navigator, Fred Noonan, was discovered; however, members of the expedition still deem it a success because of the scientific information compiled and discoveries made along the way, including a new species of deep-water fish and the mapping of about 2,500 nautical square miles of the ocean floor. The expedition used two autonomous underwater vehicles, nicknamed Ginger and MaryAnn, to sweep the ocean floor.

Its good to see that this mystery is still generating interest within scientific circles.

Due to my line of work, I've spent time at Harbor Branch and have up close contact with the "subs". Those things are amazing. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to go down in one. I can only imagine if her plane was anywhere those subs were roaming, they'd have found her.

IIRC, that woman hated that guy. She was hounded by the media and she wasn't Amelia Earhart. She had a provable history going back to birth.

true i did find a website that said her son said that the irene women was not who he remembered from his childhood the theory was that this irene did pass away but the family covered it up amelia survives and takes this womens id. i also found a website that says the government knows what happened to her and covered it up. if they truly did know what happened to her it would have been sad

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back