2011.09.15 EB Pleads Guilty to the Murder of Zahra

I've always thought a plea deal equaled an honest statement from the perp...LE still maintains that EB lied - why did the state keep this deal?

EB's phone linked her to the crime scenes and she led LE to the remains...no COD does not mean no basis for finding the perp guilty. I don't get it. :no:

BBM

I've been wondering the same thing, L-CMom - Maybe they felt they couldn't have charged her with 1st DM -- what evidence of premeditation did they have? -- IDK. No COD really hurt their case, IMO.

And maybe it was truly 2ndDM -- EB just lost her temper, as she had so many times before, and beat her (??) so badly that she caused a blunt force trauma injury to her head, or just let her bleed to death, or smothered her (smothering takes a few minutes like strangulation, literally, and this could be stretched by the ADAs to 1st DM, possibly -- but they don't have proof of that...

Probably EB this time, just simply beat her too, too much & killed her. If so, a 2nd DM charge might have been the best they could do with no COD.

And NC Sentencing Guidelines state how many months a defendant can be charged -- it has to do with aggravating factors -- which she admitted and this added to her sentence today, also prior felony points add to a sentence, but IIRC, EB had none. So this might have been a better deal than we think. That's the best light I can put on it -- and I'm not trying to make the ADAs look good, I'm just trying to find something from this thing that I can tolerate & feel okay with.

I'm now, as we all are, pinning my hopes on the Feds with their drug charges -- and they spare no mercy on drug charges, rest assured of that. And our EB probably has nothing to give them to help reduce what could be a 115 YEAR sentence.

So cross your fingers, folks. And hope for the worst.
icon8.gif

Although I am not 100% thrilled with the plea, I have to look at the fact that Elisa came forth and showed LE where to find parts of Zahra. I was so concerned this precious child would never have been found at all.

IF Zahra had never been found and Elisa remained quiet, where would this case be today?

Then I think of the prospective jurors that would have to be chosen, and this case ending up like the Anthony case.

So at this point, I accept the sentence she received today because of the plea, and with the other Federal charges still to be heard, I feel Elisa is not going to go anywhere in a very long time; if ever!

Good points, Patty G -- That there was no COD apparently hurt the Caylee case and would have been, IMO, a big factor in a 1st DM trial on this one. This evil hag (IMO) could walk out of the courtroom a free woman on a 1st DM trial.... (We'll never know, but the Caylee case makes it a bit scary, IMO.)

OH my, poor dear Zahra....I have nothing nice to say after hearing this news

I think this is the first time I agree with Adam Baker: the justice wasn't served. But I don't believe his story that he was so stoned all the time he didn't know anything. He may have been stoned but he knew, absolutely no doubt in my mind. The justice could have been served had you only told the truth, Adam. IMO.

Zahra darling, we all love you... I'm so sorry you had no one to stand by you.

I'm outraged by the charge and the sentence. I don't want to give up on sentencing these awful people to the max. I understand they needed answers as to where Zahra's body was...but it feels like the prosecution got played this time and maybe due to the budgets/economy. They had the pings! Go search! Sorry, my honest opinion about this sentencing.

RIP Zahra, what a beautiful child to have lived such a miserable life, may you be at peace. You will be forever loved by many. xoxo

BBM

I've been wondering the same thing, L-CMom - Maybe they felt they couldn't have charged her with 1st DM -- what evidence of premeditation did they have? -- IDK. No COD really hurt their case, IMO.

And maybe it was truly 2ndDM -- EB just lost her temper, as she had so many times before, and beat her (??) so badly that she caused a blunt force trauma injury to her head, or just let her bleed to death, or smothered her (smothering takes a few minutes like strangulation, literally, and this could be stretched by the ADAs to 1st DM, possibly -- but they don't have proof of that...

Probably EB this time, just simply beat her too, too much & killed her. If so, a 2nd DM charge might have been the best they could do with no COD.

And NC Sentencing Guidelines state how many months a defendant can be charged -- it has to do with aggravating factors -- which she admitted and this added to her sentence today, also prior felony points add to a sentence, but IIRC, EB had none. So this might have been a better deal than we think. That's the best light I can put on it -- and I'm not trying to make the ADAs look good, I'm just trying to find something from this thing that I can tolerate & feel okay with.

I'm now, as we all are, pinning my hopes on the Feds with their drug charges -- and they spare no mercy on drug charges, rest assured of that. And our EB probably has nothing to give them to help reduce what could be a 115 YEAR sentence.

So cross your fingers, folks. And hope for the worst.
icon8.gif

..following the trial today, the Chief and DA gaither spoke at length, from the courtroom.

..condensing what the DA said ( b/c he went on and on and on..) the 1st deal they made with elisa was to agree to 2nd degree if she would in fact lead them to the remains...and she did.

..if she had not, they may never have found zahra, they felt ok with that choice.

..in talking with the DT this time, prior to going to trial for 2nd degree, bigamy, identity theft, obtaining property by false pretenses......the DA's office, 'team zahra', LE and numerous others offering their expertise met and over the course of 48 hours concluded that there was a possibility that elisa MAY walk on 2nd degree (kc anthony anyone?) --the deal ensured them a sure thing 14.75-18 years.

..the DA even called emily in australia ( woke her up in the middle of the night ) to speak with her about it.

..he was very clear that the choice was not his and his alone----it was the conclusion of the entire group to accept the plea.

..although he refused to take questions on the upcoming drug charges ----( that's federal folks, i'm not discussing it..) i tend to believe that the possible 100 PLUS years she could get there factored in as well to their 'take the plea' decision.

..i was upset with it earlier-----having calmed down a bit, i now am fine with it.

..it's true--------she MAY have walked!

..and most importantly, her Mum would have had to sit through days, possibly weeks of trial, having her heart ripped out a little more each day.

.she's now free to take zahra, now, home with her to australia and begin to try to put this nightmare behind her.

( ETA------they did have COD. b/c the remains/bones found were not only dismembered at the joints, but had "sharp implement" cuts ON them @ various places---------the ME listed COD as "undetermined homicidal violence". ...and ignored elisa's version of "died from natural causes." )

I heaved a great sigh of relief when I saw the news today. 15-18 years never seems like enough, I realise, but it's a sentence that will be served. And we know there will be considerably more, and they knew this in sentencing EB. I'm glad that Zahra's remains will be finally brought back to Australia ... I feel she belongs here.

I'm hoping that in coming months EB will reveal additional information about Zahra's other remains, or other significant info, to cell mates, or she might volunteer info to authorities herself. She might do that for additional notoriety ... to get her name in the news again. Who can know with a person like her that so badly craved recognition in social media, etc. What we do know is she likes to tell "her" stories.

I'm happy for Zahra that there has been some conclusion. It's a guaranteed outcome rather than just a possible outcome.

What does it take to convince people Adam didnt do this or know what was going on? LE proved he wasnt there when she was murdered, proved he wasnt there when she was dismembered, had texts from EB to him up until the day he reported her missing saying she was fine. Short of having her on tape doing this alone they have concrete proof he didnt do this. I just dont get it? JMO

In short, there is nothing that will ever convince me of that.

I personally don't give a carp what Adam Baker thinks of his wife. She was not alone in that house with Zahra all the time. She was not the only parent that Zahra had. Adam should accept his role in Zahra's death as well. When you make a choice to ignore your child then you yourself are also responsible for what ever happens to your child. Besides, no one put a gun to Adam's head and made him get high on pot or whatever other drugs he was doing so he could pretend that it wasn't happening.

Emily, PLEASE fight your ex for your daughters remains and bury her in a spot of YOUR choosing without any input from him.

MOO

My thoughts exactly, TorisMom. AB was this child's legal guardian, wasn't he? So where are the child neglect and child endangerment charges?! He sure knew EB was abusing Zahra...or was he so stoned during those DSS interviews that he couldn't comprehend what was going on there either?

You can bet your bippy that if Adam Baker was this child's mother, rather than a father, he'd already be in jail for neglect and child endangerment. Guarantee it.

SICKENING.

wow. I didn't see this coming.

Only 14 years. That's just outrageous.

wow. I didn't see this coming.

Only 14 years. That's just outrageous.

After the pile on of charges, she'll never see the light of day again. So I'm okay with it.

What makes me absolutely livid is that, yet again, Adam Baker escapes having to accept any responsibility for HIS actions.

Adam, Elisa and Zahra lived in an 800 square foot house. Think about how small of an area that is. How does one not see their child at some point during a two week time span in a house that small? How does a supposed loving parent not see or even hear from their child during a two week time span and not think that something is wrong? Did Adam physically participate in the death and dismemberment of Zahra? Maybe, maybe not. Was Adam responsible (as Zahra's only biological parent in that house) for making sure that Zahra was safe and well taken care of? You better believe it. If children services come to your home to investigate child abuse of your child, do you ignore it or do you find out exactly what the hell is going on? IMO Adam is just as responisble for Zahra's death as Elisa if not more responsible. Adam put Zahra in this horrible situation and then checked out and did not fullfil his parental obligations to his daughter.

MOO

I have never not once said Adam should get the parent of the year award. There is though a big big difference from being a neglectful parent and killing and dismembering a child! JMO

I can't figure this out...WHY DID ELISA PLEA? She is well aware of the drug charges and knows she will probably be in prison for the rest of her life because of those. In my mind, Elisa did not cop a plea for compassion but instead to benefit herself. But how does this really benefit her?

The only things I can come up with are: she didn't want to go through the trials regarding bigamy and see/confront all those past husbands, or she truly is afraid of a courtroom. I don't know.

Maybe she was informed if she plead guilty, the truth would never come out. That would benefit her ego, I guess.

Can anyone come up with good reasons?

I think she was concerned the skull would be found which would show cause of death and sink her completely. Her sentence is pretty doable. She probably has pen pals just like all the other lunatics in the press. She lives in fantasy world, she can do that behind bars and not have to worry about paying her bills.

this should answer your question.

http://www2.morganton.com/news/2011...r-pleads-guilty-serve-14-18-years-ar-1394327/

snipped from article

International Drive was also searched. That was where Elisa’s legal team found a handsaw they believe was involved in the case.

Westdiefox, this article confused me. It states the saw was found on International Dr. (what town is International Dr?). Then it states Whisnant testifed "Although Elisa was in the area of Christie Road, Dudley Shoals Road and Industrial Drive on Sept. 24, ..."

Is this a typo? Are they speaking of the same or different roads? What town is Industrial Drive?

I have never not once said Adam should get the parent of the year award. There is though a big big difference from being a neglectful parent and killing and dismembering a child! JMO

Being neglectful to the point you are "unaware" that your child has been killed, dismembered, dispersed, the house has been cleaned, painted, and a kidnapping staged?

Outcome is the same in my opinion. Guilty. Culpable. Responsible.

If EB was a pitbull (with a history of biting Z in front of multiple witnesses)Adam would have been charged with negligence, at a minimum. And EB would have been put down.....

Being neglectful to the point you are "unaware" that your child has been killed, dismembered, dispersed, the house has been cleaned, painted, and a kidnapping staged?

Outcome is the same in my opinion. Guilty. Culpable. Responsible.

If EB was a pitbull (with a history of biting Z in front of multiple witnesses)Adam would have been charged with negligence, at a minimum. And EB would have been put down.....

BBM
I personally think both of these things should have happened. I was just saying that LE proved Adam didnt have a part in the murder or dismemberment. So many keep saying he had to have had a part in these 2 things.

Westdiefox, this article confused me. It states the saw was found on International Dr. (what town is International Dr?). Then it states Whisnant testifed "Although Elisa was in the area of Christie Road, Dudley Shoals Road and Industrial Drive on Sept. 24, ..."

Is this a typo? Are they speaking of the same or different roads? What town is Industrial Drive?

Westside, I just found out that these are 2 different places. Both are located in Hudson, NC. The reporter who wrote this article did not use the correct or entire name of each road. It is Internationa Blvd and Halls Industrial Dr. That is why google maps would not recognize the location.

Thanks for posting this article. At least now we know what Dub's team found and where it was located.

I have no idea where this is??? Maybe you could go back through the threads to the amazing maps that were done when the search was going on and find your answer there.

I think so many along with myself assumed when it was said Lisa Dubs and crew found and retreaved a vital piece of evidence we thought they had to have searched a cupboard in the house or something. This article just shows what was found and even with your question where. I was right along with Allusion in thinking it had to be something to do with the prostetic. The saw never entered my mind.

How sad and pathetic and sickening.....Adam and the confessed killer and their lawyers must be gleeful!! DA should be ashamed....

http://www2.morganton.com/news/2011...r-pleads-guilty-serve-14-18-years-ar-1394327/

snipped
BBM

On Sept. 24, Adam was in Burke County, north of Valdese, Whisnant said. After work, he tried to get a ride home with Elisa but she told him she couldn’t get a ride because she had been stopped by a trooper and her eldest daughter would have to give him a ride. Whisnant said police found no evidence a trooper stopped Elisa that day.

This is something else that concerns me. Did the eldest daughter stall for time taking Adam home? Did the eldest daughter know what had happened to Zahra? Is this why the eldest daughter testified to keep Elisa locked up?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back