Kyron's Artwork

Children tend to not use symbolism and representation in their artwork or writing until quite a bit older, unless specifically asked to in an art project. meaning, when you tell them to draw the sun, they draw the sun- not some representative drawing of a family member. Pretty simple.

Thought I would drop a little personal information here..., my child is under the Aspergers umbrella and symbolism was used quite heavily in his school drawings. However, we started to notice that this was because of the stories his teacher was reading in class, and too much of her reading into it.

What I was told by my child's counselor was that color was the most important in the earlier drawings he had created.

This is also important in modern art and application, color sets the "mood."

Kyron is using, if anything, is perfect color combination in the pictures I have seen here, and nothing that could or would represent a darker, more ominous suggestion.

Just my two-cents.

I cannot help myself- please don't lament your child's artwork- I am sure it's good, LOL.

Lamination, yeah, that works for kind of short-term saving. After a few years though, the adhesive tends to separate and bubbles appear- plus, you can't remove it without ruining the picture. I recommend framing of anything you want to keep longterm. Spray the surface with a fixative first. I am guessing the laminated pics were done in class.

I have thought about lamenting my child's artwork so I can keep it forever. Instead I have framed some and I keep the rest archived in boxes and binders.

To me, personally, it shows that whomever kept/owned this artwork was very proud of it and didn't want to see it depreciate (I am not sure if crayola is a medium that is archival, since it's wax and all.)

How likely is it that anyone, even a child, would draw a picture that looks exactly like a chipmunk, complete with stripe from head to tail, and a two-colored face, especially when red squirrels are all one color? Squirrels do NOT have stripes. This is not my opinion, it is fact. I understand that people want to analyze every tiny detail, and find 'proof' in everything, especially if it bolsters an idea they are already married to, but this picture is NOT a squirrel. Claim that you don't like the picture, or that your opinion is that it represents the SM, but don't be blind about what the picture is. Maybe to Kyron, chipmunks represent his SM. That would make more sense than saying the picture is something it isn't.

Exactly, I know a 3 year old summer preschool class that I can walk into on Monday morning and hold up that picture and I absolutely guarantee you that every child in the room will say it is a chipmunk. There is NO CHANCE any of them will call it anything else. But, to each his own opinion. That is what makes the world so amazing!

jmoo

Exactly.

Thought I would drop a little personal information here..., my child is under the Aspergers umbrella and symbolism was used quite heavily in his school drawings. However, we started to notice that this was because of the stories his teacher was reading in class, and too much of her reading into it.

What I was told by my child's counselor was that color was the most important in the earlier drawings he had created.

This is also important in modern art and application, color sets the "mood."

Kyron is using, if anything, is perfect color combination in the pictures I have seen here, and nothing that could or would represent a darker, more ominous suggestion.

Just my two-cents.

I cannot help myself- please don't lament your child's artwork- I am sure it's good, LOL.

Lamination, yeah, that works for kind of short-term saving. After a few years though, the adhesive tends to separate and bubbles appear- plus, you can't remove it without ruining the picture. I recommend framing of anything you want to keep longterm. Spray the surface with a fixative first. I am guessing the laminated pics were done in class.

Yeah, in hindsight I knew framing and cataloging was best.

After posting this response, this does look like this was artwork created in class participation. Again, my personal experience, most of this type of art is created from storytelling in the class room. I can't not say with certainty that this is how Kyron made this art, so don't hold me to these words - it's my personal experience.

If he did have a counselor in his school, it's the artwork he creates there that could be objectified. That work is more "free flowing" such as a/the counselor saying "How do you feel today? Can you draw that for me?"

I have gone over quite a few drawings like that so I can understand how my child felt.

LOL.....I so noticed that too!

Also, some laminating machines are hot enough that they will melt crayon drawings and ruin them....so be careful with anything that is felt to be irreplaceable.

My son, now an adult, went through a stage where he colored everything with black crayons because he knew it worried me. He thought it was funny. Although he is messy
(I will spare you the details of his dorm's appearance), he developed into a mentally healthy young man regardless of his crayon choices. :)
In other words, Kyron's choices may be meaningless, but I don't know.

My son, now an adult, went through a stage where he colored everything with black crayons because he knew it worried me. He thought it was funny. Although he is messy
(I will spare you the details of his dorm's appearance), he developed into a mentally healthy young man regardless of his crayon choices. :)
In other words, Kyron's choices may be meaningless, but I don't know.

that's cool. He was very energtic and a busy boy to busy too slow down! :)

Black is not a negative color for children to use it's not that simple.
it would be taken in context with regards to composition, scale, and how the child is behaving at school, with friends and at home, if he or she has nightmares, bruises, bed wetting etc...
Art alone isn't enough to know if a child is being abused, but it does help a Art Therapist draw a withdrawn, frighten or abused child out of their shell to discuss emotions.
I wouldn't analyze Kyron's drawing and conclude immediately without speaking to the child personally, that he was being abused.

But as an art critic he has more talent in art than his grandfather R. Neil Horman does. :)

http://thatredsquirrel.com/

He's 7 years old,his grandfather more than likely draws with him,the Terri the Squirrel in this story of his probably has drawings Kyron is copying.In the photo the squirrel does have varying colors,looking like stripes to a 7 year old.Anyway,the Sun artwork is more than likely the stained glassed suncatcher design in a relative's or his own home he has copied.I'll post it again,it's at Joanne's.

I meant the design on the suncatcher,probably in varying colors or even artwork,it's so familiar.

Attachments

• suncatcher.JPG
    suncatcher.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 12
No, I do not. And, as far as I have read, these 3 pics we've seen were not part of any art therapy. I am commenting on how it looks no different from any of the children's artwork I've seen in classes where they did art- and not art therapy.

But, if I DID have my degree in Art Therapy, rather than in Art, I would think it very irresponsible of me to comment and make diagnosis about a child I never met, based on 3 pictures, and pictures that were not created in a therapeutic setting. JMO.

Do you hold a degree in Art Therapy? Just curious.

No, I do not. And, as far as I have read, these 3 pics we've seen were not part of any art therapy. I am commenting on how it looks no different from any of the children's artwork I've seen in classes where they did art- and not art therapy.

But, if I DID have my degree in Art Therapy, rather than in Art, I would think it very irresponsible of me to comment and make diagnosis about a child I never met, based on 3 pictures, and pictures that were not created in a therapeutic setting. JMO.

I agree with that.
Can't decide anything without the full picture of his life and events surrounding his abduction/disappearance.

That picture is NOT a red squirrel. We have red squirrels- that is not one. That is a chipmunk. This has been pointed out over and over, yet people still keep trying to make some like between this picture and SM having the nickname 'RDSQRL'. There is no corrolation.

I believe this drawing IS of a red squirrel. A chipmunk has dark stripes and Kyron's drawing has a lighter brown coloured stripe along the left side, much like it was a highlight. Puffnstuff posted a picture of a red squirrel illustration that I think was the one he may have used to model his own drawing. I think Kyron is that gifted that he understands highlights.

Another poster a few threads back came up with a good analysis of the artwork. I wish I could remember their user name but I can't.

Anyway they said:

Red Squirrel = Step Mom

Sun = Son

Hi RubyRed, Thank you for starting this thread.

Sub-consciously it probably does. RS - color of hair and Kyron has a big bright sweet smile. I can see that the drawings were done by the same person; whether it was sweet Kyron or someone else. The use of the peace sign, feather, or leaf (I'm not sure what the item is) is in both drawings.

My experience in teaching children art (I have also taught adults) is that the teachers often go through different artists. So, the children often end up with very interesting, attractive artwork that mimics a specific artist.

I do not teach like that. I do reference other artists in their techniques, but I am much more interested in having children push the boundaries of what THEY want to depict, and in how they go about it. I am more interested in the creative process of it, not the look of the final result. One of my pet peeves is children being told to draw something a certain way because someone else wants them to. A very beginner lesson would be to have them draw a circle. What is it? It could be a ball, a sun, an apple, someone's face... anything they want it to be. If they want to paint blue apples, pink suns, let them. It means nothing other than that they are creative, and haven't yet let adults tell them what is acceptable or not. Look how well that turned out for Warhol!

I firmly believe that although not everyone is a professional artist, everyone can make art- and should. It's good for you.

http://www.firstmistake.org/article_red_squirrel_survey.html
http://www.millermicro.com/chipmunk.html

Just sayin- squirrels have a completely different tail- fluffier. And, red squirrels are very red. I'm not pushing this point so much because of the differences, as much as that I just don't get the focus on analyzing a couple of pictures in order to bolster theories about who is thought to have abducted/killed a child. Especially when one of the pictures just plain is not related in that context.

When I first saw the book site a few days ago I wondered what came first..Terri's nickname or the book titled (I assume written with her in mind) Terri, That Red Squirrel ..Any idea? TIA!

At first I thought LE released pics because they wanted to humanize Kyron on the chance he was being held somewhere. Now I wonder if it is a guilt tactic.

Just sayin- squirrels have a completely different tail- fluffier. And, red squirrels are very red. I'm not pushing this point so much because of the differences, as much as that I just don't get the focus on analyzing a couple of pictures in order to bolster theories about who is thought to have abducted/killed a child. Especially when one of the pictures just plain is not related in that context.

Even if it is a chipmunk or squirrel, it still speaks volumes to me.

It does look like a chipmunk to me also. I would need to need to know more about the drawing titled being named red squirrel if that was a fact or rumor. or LE made a mistake.

YOU are never going to believe this.....but I agree with you on the weird vibes thing. I have had this website marked and on hold for over a week, cause I didn't want to start a new controversy about any of the family. But since someone else brought it up, maybe it should be explored a bit. http://northwesttales.com/

It is an interesting site, to say the least.

I wonder what Terri thought when she first read this line, written by her father-in-law:

Go away and leave us alone, Red Squirrel.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back