Deceased/Not Found NV - Patrick Carnes, 86, Wells, 13 Apr 2011

summer_breeze

Reaction score
http://www.rgj.com/article/20110418/NEWS01/110418021/Elderly-man-traveling-Reno-reported-missing

Elderly man traveling to Reno reported missing

bilde

3:02 PM, Apr. 18, 2011

http://www.magicvalley.com/news/local/article_579f396e-9bb1-11e0-afe5-001cc4c03286.html

Elko Daily Free Press Magicvalley.com |
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 8:50 pm

<snipped>
Morton said he has been in contact with both Chretien's family and that of Patrick Carnes, who was also reported missing in April. The Humboldt County Sheriff's Office has had routine searches for Carnes ever since his car was found at the Pumpernickel Valley off-ramp near Winnemucca on Interstate 80 with his personal effects - including check book - still in the car. Neither Carnes nor his dog has been found.

On Coast to Coast, I heard them discuss the GPS tracking devices on big rigs. If the Carnes family or any police are reading this, I'd like to add a few ideas that weren't discussed on the show. I've never driven, but I did work in management for nearly a decade and have heard a lot of "tricks of the trade" from the drivers.

The GPS devices can be manipulated by the drivers and often are. I've heard of drivers putting metal buckets over those white round GPS transponders (or whatever they're called) up near the roofs of the cabs. Another thing that can be done is to go into the box on the side of the cab where gloves and such are often stored, and unplug the device. I've personally seen this done with Freightliner trucks using the Qualcomm tracking/messaging system.

Drivers do this for two reasons. The most common is to drive illegally, driving more hours than they're legally allowed to be on duty. After their hours and logbooks catch up, they plug it back in.

Another reason is to take a truck out of route unauthorized. This is usually done by drivers taking a load by their house unauthorized when their home is way out of route. After they get back onto the route, they plug it back in.

My former roommate, who had previously been one of my drivers, once told me a few years ago about how he once had a load going through Nevada and he unplugged his Qualcomm satellite locator in order to go WAY out of route to the Moonlight Bunny Ranch, a legal prostitution establishment in Nevada.

Someone could conceivably kill a person in their truck, then unplug their GPS tracking device, drive a long distance away to dump the body, drive back onto the scheduled route, and plug it back in.

One missing person who I didn't hear discussed on the show is Adam Blanchard. Please look at his thread in the missing people area of this website. There seems to be a possibility these two are related.

Adam Blanchard was staying at a motel in Ely, Nevada and went missing this spring just like Patrick Carnes. Two reasons I think they could be related are as follows. 1: Ely is off Highway US-93 which intersects I-80 in Wells, where Mr. Carnes was last seen. 2: Mr. Carnes told the cop he was tired and may have went to a motel. Obviously, he wouldn't have gone down to Ely and the motel where Mr. Blanchard stayed, but perhaps a perpetrator is jacking people at various motels in the region or even at rest areas or other places people could try to catch a nap.

Here's the NAMPN link for Patrick
http://www.nampn.org/hot/carnes_patrick.html

Also the police are looking for information about a specific truck that Patrick indicated he was following (and he had communicated with the driver) just prior to his disappearance.
c2ctruck.jpg

And here's the above photo with the unrelated truck cropped out & contrast tweaked.
gktruck.jpg

Here's the NAMPN link for Patrick
http://www.nampn.org/hot/carnes_patrick.html

Also the police are looking for information about a specific truck that Patrick indicated he was following (and he had communicated with the driver) just prior to his disappearance.
c2ctruck.jpg

And here's the above photo with the unrelated truck cropped out & contrast tweaked.
gktruck.jpg

Thanks a million for the photos. I heard the photos discussed and have been wanting to see them.

Wow, that's a tough one.

I think there's a letter O being represented by a globe or a ball, but the others are hard to distinguish. The last one sort of looks like it could be a C, but whatever is before the O is very hard to determine with any amount of accuracy.

It must be a very small outfit since nobody has identified it yet. Coast to Coast AM is extremely popular with truckers and it's very surprising the drivers who called had so many different theories as to the company. I heard about four different drivers call in and guess it was about four different companies.

And, of course, the trailer company may not necessarily correspond directly with with the truck, for various reasons.

It looks like there's possibly a corrosive placard on the left door, but I don't see a placard on the side. If it was a corrosive load, it was likely a load of vehicle batteries.

Wow, that's a tough one.

I think there's a letter O being represented by a globe or a ball, but the others are hard to distinguish. The last one sort of looks like it could be a C, but whatever is before the O is very hard to determine with any amount of accuracy.

It must be a very small outfit since nobody has identified it yet. Coast to Coast AM is extremely popular with truckers and it's very surprising the drivers who called had so many different theories as to the company. I heard about four different drivers call in and guess it was about four different companies.

And, of course, the trailer company may not necessarily correspond directly with with the truck, for various reasons.

I spent several hours at fleetdirectory.com looking at different company websites, hoping to find a logo that matched the general shape of what is on the back of that truck but didn't find anything that jumped out at me.

I listened to Coast to Coast last night & compared the Panther & Star (transport & leasing) company logos with it but they weren't quite right.

It is a tough one!

That was a good idea and effort though.

I wish I could find my loupe so I could get a closer look at the placard. If it's corrosive, perhaps the police's best bet would probably be to check with Exide and other battery companies to see who picked up loads that would've gone westbound on I-80 in Nevada during that time frame.

Did Mr. Carnes have a CB radio in his car? If not, I doubt he would've caught back up with the trucker anyway. Maybe he got off at the next exit with a truck stop to see if the trucker also got off to wait on him. Maybe he met foul play at a truck stop if that happened. There are often prostitutes (a.k.a. lot lizards) and other seedy types of people at truck stops, but as a former trucker, Mr. Carnes would've known how rough truck stops are.

It takes an especially rotten person or people to do harm to a WWII veteran and a dog!

That was a good idea and effort though.

I wish I could find my loupe so I could get a closer look at the placard. If it's corrosive, perhaps the police's best bet would probably be to check with Exide and other battery companies to see who picked up loads that would've gone westbound on I-80 in Nevada during that time frame.

Did Mr. Carnes have a CB radio in his car? If not, I doubt he would've caught back up with the trucker anyway. Maybe he got off at the next exit with a truck stop to see if the trucker also got off to wait on him. Maybe he met foul play at a truck stop if that happened. There are often prostitutes (a.k.a. lot lizards) and other seedy types of people at truck stops, but as a former trucker, Mr. Carnes would've known how rough truck stops are.

It takes an especially rotten person or people to do harm to a WWII veteran and a dog!

I don't think he did have a CB radio in his vehicle.
The officer who pulled Mr. Carnes over seemed to have gotten the impression that he had spoken, in person, with the driver. I will have to go back & relisten to the show to clarify details though.

Yes, it would take an especially rotten person!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back