SD - Officers Ryan McCandless, 28, & Nick Armstrong, 27, Rapid City, 2 Aug 2011

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
5019eee94f01d.preview-620.jpg

Today is a date that will always cause an ache in the collective heart of the Rapid City Police Department.

But nobody will feel it like Officer Tim Doyle.

As the only survivor of an Aug. 2, 2011, shootout in north Rapid City that killed officers Nick Armstrong and Ryan McCandless along with their assailant, Daniel Tiger, Doyle faces especially painful recollections today.

Most of them he prefers not to talk about in public, just yet.

"My family and I continue on with the healing process, as we all do in our own way and our own pace," Doyle said in brief comments provided by the police department.

"Aug. 2, 2011, changed us all forever," he said. "And not a day goes by that I don't think of my heroes, Nick and Ryan, and the ultimate sacrifice they made for all of us that day."

501a02c854b0e.preview-620.jpg

Officer Tim Doyle-Survivor

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/an...cle_2c0112d8-838c-58e2-bfe5-4cb313f36bef.html

I was in Rapid a few weekends ago at Hills Alive and they had a moment of silence for these officers. So senseless and tragic.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

These guys were so young but they fought back until they were unable to do so. I like that there is a silent memorial today with the Honor Guard and officers, as well as civilians, standing silently at the site. I think that has more impact than anything.

Ryan McCandless

Officer James Ryan Candles was 28-years-old when he took a fatal shot to the left side of his vest. Before collapsing, he shot 14 rounds at the shooter.

McCandless, a Michigan native, who played football, liked to fish, hunt and above all else was a fiancé, son, brother and friend.

Posthumously McCandless was awarded a medal of honor, purple heart and life saving medal for saving a baby's life.

Nick Armstrong

27-year-old officer Nicholas Keegan Armstrong died Saturday, August 6th, four days after the shooting.

Armstrong, a member of the street crimes unit, arrived at the scene on bike. He was the first man shot. He did draw his weapon but wasn't able to return fire.

Those who knew Armstrong remember him as a dedicated police officer, a gifted photographer and a faithful friend.

Armstrong worked for the Spearfish Police Department before joining the Rapid City police force in 2009.

http://www.kotatv.com/story/19180684/nick

Statement from Officer Doyle:

Thank you for your interest and concern for my situation. My family and I continue on with the healing process, as we all do in our own way and our own pace.

August 2, 2011 changed us all forever, and not a day goes by that I don't think of my Heroes Nick and Ryan, and the ultimate sacrifice they made for all of us that day.

I am also thankful for the continued support and encouragement the Rapid City Police Department has received from the public. It makes the healing process that much easier. For me personally, the comments and handshakes when I am out in public mean so much that I cannot adequately express them. I can tell from the look in people's eyes that they are still healing as well. This will be a difficult anniversary for all of us, and we will all need that support.

Thank you again,

Tim Doyle and family.

http://www.kotatv.com/story/19181336/officer-doyle-issues-statement

501b44065a932.preview-620.jpg

Nothing was said officially during a solemn one-year-anniversary observance of the late-afternoon shootout that killed two Rapid City police officers and their assailant and left a third officer severely wounded. But plenty was felt by the 200 or so people who gathered near a small stone marker at the corner of Anamosa and Greenbriar streets.

It was, quite literally, a speechless event, as individual Rapid City Police Department officers in honor-guard attire took turns standing vigil over the monument in 10-minute shifts beginning at 4:30 p.m., the approximate time of the shootout on Aug. 2, 2011.

"These officers are heroes, They go to work to serve the citizens of this city day after day."

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/si...cle_e95903a3-f2bc-5f7b-b545-fea88d870c1d.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back