GUILTY UK - Rebecca Watts, 16, Bristol, 19 Feb 2015 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if it was at the time the police phoned them asking for access, and they said they were on their way out to a pre-planned meal with SH's step dad

Yes thanks - I got there, just a bit slow!

Is it normal for a trial to be so convoluted? Flipping back and forth between witnesses for the different defendants, professional and non professional, family, friends, colleagues. I'd be so lost if I was on that jury :scared:

From my limited experience, they try to disrupt the witnesses lives as little as possible so Try to have them in court at a convenient time for them. I think can lead to flipping between witness types.

From my limited experience, they try to disrupt the witnesses lives as little as possible so Try to have them in court at a convenient time for them. I think can lead to flipping between witness types.
Really? 5 days I had to wait in a stuffy little box room waiting to give evidence...
5 days of my life I'll never get back..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

So.... is this right? NM called his mate KD to help him move/stash some stuff, £20 grands worth of stuff for which he'd give him a lump sum. KD then called his mate JI (who was always up for earning a bit of cash, not many questions asked) to do the actual moving as he had access to a work van. I agree that DD was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time, seems he was staying with KD&JP at that time.

A work colleague of KD and JI testified earlier in the trial and said he was at work with them when KD got a phone call about moving some stuff. He didn't know who the phone call was from, but heard KD's brother being mentioned, so perhaps DD was the link between KD and NM.

Link to the story: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Becky-Watts/story-27953232-detail/story.html

Really? 5 days I had to wait in a stuffy little box room waiting to give evidence...
5 days of my life I'll never get back..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Maybe the case I witnessed was an exception in that case! I guess it probably depends on the prosecution/judge and the way the chose to play it.

For all 4 of them? I agree for JI (didn't know, didn't ask) not heard enough yet about DD, but surely KD/JP will get some sort of custodial?

Remember pleading guilty at an early opportunity gets a reduced sentence (I think it's a third off).

For all 4 of them? I agree for JI (didn't know, didn't ask) not heard enough yet about DD, but surely KD/JP will get some sort of custodial?

I'm basing it on what we know so far, so subject to change if more details emerge. The bit that troubles me about KD/JP is their neighbour saying their dogs were usually out in the garden and that for the days Becky's body was in their shed the dogs weren't out. That could suggest they knew what it could be in the shed and didn't want the dogs to react to it. Or they could have some innocent explanation for the dogs not being out.

If it had really been what they were told.. items from a robbery then they'd have been charged with handling stolen goods as well but I still reckon they could get suspended sentences. I guess it depends on whether they've got criminal records already and the risk of re-offending but it would surprise me if they got a custodial sentence.

disclaimer : I have no legal training lol just going by the lengths of sentencing I've heard and read about in the past.

I'm basing it on what we know so far, so subject to change if more details emerge. The bit that troubles me about KD/JP is their neighbour saying their dogs were usually out in the garden and that for the days Becky's body was in their shed the dogs weren't out. That could suggest they knew what it could be in the shed and didn't want the dogs to react to it. Or they could have some innocent explanation for the dogs not being out.

If it had really been what they were told.. items from a robbery then they'd have been charged with handling stolen goods as well but I still reckon they could get suspended sentences. I guess it depends on whether they've got criminal records already and the risk of re-offending but it would surprise me if they got a custodial sentence.

disclaimer : I have no legal training lol just going by the lengths of sentencing I've heard and read about in the past.

RBBM

Yes, the dogs no longer being let into the yard has bothered me, too. This would also incl DD since we have learned that he was living there at that time.

Anyone know what kind of dogs? Most likely dog/s would react to the remains in the shed, imo

Remember pleading guilty at an early opportunity gets a reduced sentence (I think it's a third off).

If it is proven that they genuinely believed they were dealing with stolen goods, or drugs, they should get the sentence relevant for that crime imo.

Even though these are the kind of people I despise (those happy to make easy money out of crimes which badly affect people), I think there is a big difference between storing the body parts of a murder victim and hindering the police investigation ......... to harboring stolen goods or hiding drugs.

That said, their actions could have inadvertently led to NM and SH not being caught, so its a difficult one!

<snip>

BIB IIRC from the opening statement, KD thought he was storing drugs and JP claims she didn't know what was in the bags. Perhaps KD thought the dog would smell drugs and didn't want it barking at the shed all week.

Prosecutor William Mousley QC told the court: "Karl Demetrius says he believed it was cannabis but became increasingly suspicious that the contents related to Becky Watts.

"Jaydene Parsons says that she only formed the belief that the bags were related to criminal activity during the evening before her arrest."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-allowed-becky-watts-body-6589675

Maybe they had adopted an ex sniffer dog?

I'm being facetious.

It's a good point, why stopping letting the dogs out? There is loads more evidence to come, I'm trying not to get too :pullhair: !!

Is it normal for a trial to be so convoluted? Flipping back and forth between witnesses for the different defendants, professional and non professional, family, friends, colleagues. I'd be so lost if I was on that jury :scared:

I'm a few pages behind but exactly what I thought. I've never done jury service, do they take notes? How on earth do they remember who said and did what and when and how this fits with that etc.

IIRC from the opening statement, KD thought he was storing drugs and JP claims she didn't know what was in the bags. Perhaps KD thought the dog would smell drugs and didn't want it barking at the shed all week.

I agree. They would be aware that dogs are used to sniff out drugs (trained dogs, obviously), so they might have thought it best not to take the chance that the dogs might be attracted in some way.

I'm a few pages behind but exactly what I thought. I've never done jury service, do they take notes? How on earth do they remember who said and did what and when and how this fits with that etc.

yes, each juror has a pad to write in which must be left in court at the end of each day

and at the closing part of the trial each barrister summarises their case to include all relevant evidence and then the judge does his/her summing up which includes everything that's been heard.

Believe that initially the dogs may have been out in yard for day or two (after evidence placed in shed), then were no longer seen by neighbor out in the yard.

<snip>

A neighbour tells the court how usually he would see dogs in the garden.

But in the time before the body parts were found on March 2nd he hadn&#8217;t seen the dogs outside for a &#8220;good couple of days&#8221;.

<snip>

The jury heard there were two large dogs in the house.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/becky-watts-murder-trial-live-6631230

If it is proven that they genuinely believed they were dealing with stolen goods, or drugs, they should get the sentence relevant for that crime imo.

Even though these are the kind of people I despise (those happy to make easy money out of crimes which badly affect people), I think there is a big difference between storing the body parts of a murder victim and hindering the police investigation ......... to harboring stolen goods or hiding drugs.

That said, their actions could have inadvertently led to NM and SH not being caught, so its a difficult one!

Also worth bearing in mind that none of them have been charged with perverting the course of justice, preventing legal burial or any other more serious charges.

yes, each juror has a pad to write in which must be left in court at the end of each day

So they can't take notes home to look back on? I would love to do jury service but I bet it can become all-consuming with cases like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj