Rebecca Zahau's Funeral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonepile

Reaction score
Three days after Max’s funeral, Shacknai attended Zahau’s at the Meierhoffer Funeral Home in St. Joseph. He was invited to sit with her family, and the service was conducted by two men—by a local pastor, in English, and by one of the many Burmese who’d arrived from all over the U.S. out of respect for Zahau’s father. Zahau’s body was “in an open casket,” says Christian. “It was difficult for me to look at her. She’s a beautiful girl, and she had this disturbing raised prominence on her upper right forehead. I had a lump in my throat watching her mother. They had to peel her off the casket. She was so profoundly devastated.”

(courtesy Newsweek)

This to my knowledge is the first eyewitness report of the actual funeral.

Did not the funeral director/embalmer try and get that "raised prominence" removed, or did the family not give it's permission?

Was it a fully opened couch casket or top half opened?

Was the casket and Rebecca later cremated or was she buried in the casket in a vault at the cemetery?

My apologies if this writeup has been posted elsewhere. The complete five pages of it can be found at http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/09/18/what-really-happened-in-the-coronado-mansion.html

..she wasn't cremated...

http://coronado.patch.com/articles/sisters-quest-justice-for-becky

Sister's Quest: Justice for Becky
--snipped--

When Rebecca Zahau's loved ones saw her for the first time after her July 13 death, they stared long and hard at her face, her skin, her hands, looking for any signs of what they believed happened, even then: She was killed.

“In the darkest moment of our lives, when we stood in front of her casket and had to look at her, we still had the strength to go through at least that part of her body which could be seen in order to find things that could help us in the investigation, things which could prove that she couldn't have done this to herself,” her sister, Snowem Horwath, recalled of first seeing Zahau's remains.

They've also reconciled themselves to one disturbing fact. If they are to convince investigators they should reopen the case and reconsider their finding that Zahau, 32, hung herself, they will have to have her body exhumed. She was laid to rest near another sister's Missouri home.

“We have to,” Horwath said. “We have to at this point.”

Jonah was busy during shiva. He went to Rebecca's funeral, got Ocean out of the kennels and hired a PR firm. Let alone what we do not know what he did.

I think the Zahau's have the correct idea. Since they have the questions they have, without any answers being provided, this seems like a very responsible plan of action.

They would have to fund this themselves, but it may give them peace, no matter the outcome.

Three days after Max’s funeral, Shacknai attended Zahau’s at the Meierhoffer Funeral Home in St. Joseph. He was invited to sit with her family, and the service was conducted by two men—by a local pastor, in English, and by one of the many Burmese who’d arrived from all over the U.S. out of respect for Zahau’s father. Zahau’s body was “in an open casket,” says Christian. “It was difficult for me to look at her. She’s a beautiful girl, and she had this disturbing raised prominence on her upper right forehead. I had a lump in my throat watching her mother. They had to peel her off the casket. She was so profoundly devastated.”

(courtesy Newsweek)

This to my knowledge is the first eyewitness report of the actual funeral.

Did not the funeral director/embalmer try and get that "raised prominence" removed, or did the family not give it's permission?

Was it a fully opened couch casket or top half opened?

Was the casket and Rebecca later cremated or was she buried in the casket in a vault at the cemetery?

My apologies if this writeup has been posted elsewhere. The complete five pages of it can be found at http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/09/18/what-really-happened-in-the-coronado-mansion.html

My apologies, as I don't know the answers to your question. IMHO, only a person who attended the funeral, or was involved with RZ's embalming would be able to.

How does one get rid of a prominent bump on the head? I have no idea. I'm actually quite suprised that RZ had an open casket funeral.

I've only been to one open casket funeral, and I couldn't bring myself to look. Personally, I'd much rather have the image of the person (in my mind) happy, healthy, and alive.

Me OTOH, I've already told DH to cremate me. I don't want to be put in a box and have anyone looking at me ;)

My thoughts and prayers to the Z family.

MOO

Mel

My apologies, as I don't know the answers to your question. IMHO, only a person who attended the funeral, or was involved with RZ's embalming would be able to.

How does one get rid of a prominent bump on the head? I have no idea. I'm actually quite suprised that RZ had an open casket funeral.

I've only been to one open casket funeral, and I couldn't bring myself to look. Personally, I'd much rather have the image of the person (in my mind) happy, healthy, and alive.

Me OTOH, I've already told DH to cremate me. I don't want to be put in a box and have anyone looking at me ;)

My thoughts and prayers to the Z family.

MOO

Mel

Thanks, Melanie. Why couldn't they have pulled Rebecca's (beautiful) hair down over her forehead and perhaps put some sort of flower tiara or scarfs around her forehead, anything that would have looked less disturbing to her family. My heart really goes out to them. R.I.P. Rebecca.

And just what the heck is that "disturbing raised prominence on her upper right forehead", anyway? A knot? A zit? A bruise? Why wasn't such a "prominence" mentioned in the AR? Is is one of the contusions Cyril Wecht noted?

According to reports pieced together from several sources, between 6 and 7 a.m. on Monday, July 11, the twice-divorced Shacknai and his 6-year-old son, Max, drove his other children—E 13, and G 14—to the San Diego airport for a flight to Phoenix, where they were meeting their mother. G and E hugged and kissed their little Maxie goodbye. It would be for the last time.

This is the first solid information we've had about when E & G left that morning, isn't it? That's definitely worthwhile!

This is the first solid information we've had about when E & G left that morning, isn't it? That's definitely worthwhile!

People have referred to this piece as a 'fairy tale' and a lot of the information has been found to be inaccurate. I loved the way it spoke of Rebecca and her heritage. The rest seemed like a media ploy. Why do we need exact firections to Jonah's gym, for example?

As for when they left, according to a post somewhere, :waitasec:, in Rebecca's phone it said they were flying out at noon.

People have referred to this piece as a 'fairy tale' and a lot of the information has been found to be inaccurate. I loved the way it spoke of Rebecca and her heritage. The rest seemed like a media ploy. Why do we need exact firections to Jonah's gym, for example?

As for when they left, according to a post somewhere, :waitasec:, in Rebecca's phone it said they were flying out at noon.

Yeah, I saw that too. The noon, thing. If their flight was at noon, neither were young enough to be unaccompanied minors, so they Jonah likely didn't go through security with them. If their flight left at noon, say they arrive at the airport at 10:00, Max couldn't possibly have been with them.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Rebecca-Zahaus-Family--126121118.html
She Was Compassionate and Generous: Zahau Family
--snipped--

Statement from the Family of Rebecca Zahau

Rebecca Zahau, our granddaughter, daughter, sister, aunt, and cousin, was laid to rest July 23rd 2011.
People including media want to know who Rebecca Zahau was.

There are no words in any dictionary or language to describe the full beauty, love, compassion, selflessness, generosity, and kindness of Rebecca. Her Zahau name was "HNIANGSINMAWII" meaning "SPRINGTIME BEAUTY" and yet she was the beauty of every season. If you had met Rebecca, you could not help but love her.

Does anyone know if her ex-husband attended the funeral? I sure would like to know what he thinks of all this. AND he should be considered a suspect although he would not be on the top of my list.

Does anyone know if her ex-husband attended the funeral? I sure would like to know what he thinks of all this. AND he should be considered a suspect although he would not be on the top of my list.

..i would think that he did, the family has mentioned him as being very supportive etc..

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...ca-zahau-was-murdered-not-suicide-says-sister

Snowem said the family is comforted by the support they’re receiving from Rebecca’s ex-husband, Neil Nalepa, who is devastated by her death.

..he also started the petition to the AG to have the case re-opened..

http://www.change.org/petitions/justice-for-rebecca
Created By

Neil Nalepa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads