Th Denies having anything to do with Kyron's disappearance...??

I was just giving the link, no belief in the truth of it expressed or implied :innocent:

However, I will say that it's consistent, imo, with KH's e-mail at the very beginning telling everyone at his work not to talk to the media, and his banning of the two news outlets from that one presser. Seems like his POV has changed quite a bit since then!

When the media focuses on Terri's guilt based on what she is saying or not saying they are not focussing on other possible theories about what happened to Kyron. If Terri is responsible for Kyron's disappearance there is a greater chance that Kyron is alive. If so, the change in Kaine's POV would be completely unconscious and completely understandable.

Its completely understandable that the public doesn't want to consider other scenarios/suspects. The media, as professionals, has no excuse for their focus on Terri. The media should be focused on the facts, based on their sloppy reporting I don't think they are.

If Terri is innocent, she too has lost a child that she cares very deeply for. If she is innocent she doesn't have a suspect to focus on that is keeping Kyron alive. If Terri's lawyer is telling her that if she doesn't remain silent she may lose her baby girl too, to me her silence would completely understandable as well :cow:

We may never know sadly, but I feel she cared about Kyron, his pictures show a happy, well cared for boy. And only TH took care of him as we now know.

So did Caylee

Wait, how do we know that only Terri took care of him?

There was a stretch when Terri when Terri WAS talking to the media. The thumbs up, everything is peachy, the rumors about her impending divorce were not true, etc. Clearly if KH told her not to speak to the media, she wasn't following his orders.

Also, in the case that she is completely innocent, her attorney has decried the "witch hunt" without ever releasing a statement of innocence. In other words, if her atty spoke out enough about the case to say "it's a witch hunt!", then why not add the logical conclusion, "...my client had nothing to do with the disappearance of her step son." Surely that couldn't be *worse* for her image. Keeping Terri out of the spotlight is one thing, but even keeping quiet over official channels (attorney releasing a sanitized statement) feels very odd to me at this point.

I wish I knew what questions caused her to fail the polygraphs. They very well could have been nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance, but once deception is established by the polygrapher, doubt is cast on every aspect.

As much as I would like to hear her side of the story, I think she is wise to remain silent now. I believe that LE set its sights on her from the getgo and made it abundently clear without coming out and saying so.

If she is indeed innocent of involvment with Kyron's disappearance, LE has given the true perp more than 2 months to cover his/her tracks. Not to mention, a child predator remains at large while a case is being built based upon innuendo and suspicion. Let's hope that they have sufficient evidence to justify their modality.

I also agree with pittsburghgirl. I followed a case here on WS a few years ago, it really opened my eyes as to how selective the 'evidence' released to the public could be. It's either because of the bias of the news agency, or control by LE. In that particular case, I saw both. It has made me view cases, entirely different than I did a few years ago.

Sadly to say, in that particular case, because of the manipulation of the evidence and how it was presented, or NOT, I feel there's a horrible injustice for the 'alleged,' although now admitted, (plea deal) perp. :(

To be honest, that's why in this case, I'm still not convinced as to what the heck happened to this child. But as STEADFAST said, IF it were me and I knew I had absolutely nothing to do with this crime, I would have a press conference of my own, permission from my attorney or not. He could sit next to me.

Course, that's just me,
fran
Why should she speak out?

There was a stretch when Terri when Terri WAS talking to the media. The thumbs up, everything is peachy, the rumors about her impending divorce were not true, etc. Clearly if KH told her not to speak to the media, she wasn't following his orders.

Also, in the case that she is completely innocent, her attorney has decried the "witch hunt" without ever releasing a statement of innocence. In other words, if her atty spoke out enough about the case to say "it's a witch hunt!", then why not add the logical conclusion, "...my client had nothing to do with the disappearance of her step son." Surely that couldn't be *worse* for her image. Keeping Terri out of the spotlight is one thing, but even keeping quiet over official channels (attorney releasing a sanitized statement) feels very odd to me at this point.

She was also leaving comments on a news website talking in first person.

Why should she speak out?

Fran didn't say she should. She said she (Fran) would if she were in that position and were innocent.

Most of us couldn't help ourselves (well, ok, I wouldn't be able to, personally.) I would want everyone to know that I darn well didn't have anything to do with it at all, and if they want to find my beloved step son, they should take the focus off of me, and start looking elsewhere!

Fran didn't say she should. She said she (Fran) would if she were in that position and were innocent.

Most of us couldn't help ourselves (well, ok, I wouldn't be able to, personally.) I would want everyone to know that I darn well didn't have anything to do with it at all, and if they want to find my beloved step son, they should take the focus off of me, and start looking elsewhere!

If Terri had said she was innocent, how many people convinced she was involved would simply say, "Oh my bad!" and believe her?

sbm

She spoke to a WW reporter. Sat with him on her property and chatted. Didn't run him off. The next day, 'no trespassing' signs were up.

Wonder who did that?

I wish I knew what questions caused her to fail the polygraphs. They very well could have been nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance, but once deception is established by the polygrapher, doubt is cast on every aspect.

As much as I would like to hear her side of the story, I think she is wise to remain silent now. I believe that LE set its sights on her from the getgo and made it abundently clear without coming out and saying so.

If she is indeed innocent of involvment with Kyron's disappearance, LE has given the true perp more than 2 months to cover his/her tracks. Not to mention, a child predator remains at large while a case is being built based upon innuendo and suspicion. Let's hope that they have sufficient evidence to justify their modality.

A predator who is bold enough to kidnap a child from his school.

I don't know if LE has been gunning for Terri from the beginning and has continued to do so. I am on the fence when it comes to her innocence or guilt. I have spent more time thinking that she is guilty but when I am of that mind its because I am angry and scared.

Since I am willing to withhold judgement until facts are available I am placing my faith in LE to do the same.

I do know that I just don't really like Terri. That could be and probably is at least in part the result of the media's portrayal of her, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't want Tyron to be at home where he belongs. I don't much care for husbands who cheat on their wives, but that doesn't mean my heart doesn't break for Kaine.

I just wish Kyron weren't missing. This stuff is just so heartbreaking its unbearable. I can't imagine what it is like for everyone involved. Children shouldn't have to live in fear that something like this could happen. What the is going on in this world?

If Terri had said she was innocent, how many people convinced she was involved would simply say, "Oh my bad!" and believe her?

If Terri had come out and loudly and continually proclaimed her innocence, begged for someone to bring Kyron back, showed grief and fear on her fb page, continued to aid the investigation, publicly explained her whereabouts on June 4 so that anyone who saw her could corroborate, refrained from hinky doings, and made media appearances to get Kyron's name out there, I think a lot of people would believe her.

Anyway, the argument that denying guilt isn't helpful when people don't believe you doesn't make sense to me. If people thought I did something bad, I sure wouldn't think, "Oh, well, what's the point of denying I did it?"

It might depend on what she said and how she said it. I'd be more inclined to believe someone who is vehemently proclaiming their innocence than someone who has done everything (imho) to avoid discussing the situation at all.
No matter how much she ignores it, there's a HUGE elephant in the room, and it's not going to go away.

Hey, I just got done reading Dave Cullen's book Columbine, about that school shooting, its causes and aftermath. It's a freaking eye-opener, a textbook case about how mainstream media (usually cable television) creates and perpetuates myths and misinformation. In the Columbine case, the inept work of television reporters was only part of the story, as Cullen demonstrates that local politicians and law enforcement officers covered up a number of blunders, mostly pertaining to how earlier complaints to LE about one of the school shooters were ignored or underestimated. In addition, some groups knowingly spread what they knew was a false story in order to push their own agenda and that false story reverberated through the cable echo chamber.

And what do we in the public have left as "evidence" if mainstream media sources are so inaccurate, sloppy, and riddled with error and innuendo? Cullen points to the good job (relatively) done by local newspapers--which we are in danger of losing. So we might need to look to the local print sources for the best information.

Here's a link to the website of the author of the Columbine book. It's available through major retailers and as an e-book.
http://www.davecullen.com

Thanks, thanks, thanks! That is an incredible book.

Another shocker: Cullen exposes how the police actually were given numerous warnings about Klebold/Harris by concerned citizens. And they blew them off.

Even worse, LE bungled many things--and then proceeded to try and cover up their mistakes. In fact, some evidence even went "missing."

LE got an idea in their heads: nothing to it with these boys acting weird, just teenaged stuff.

Then they learned that those trying to get their attention were right.

Then they got other ideas in their head. And then they also had ego problems, territorial problems, and some bouts of just plain incompetence.

And then they tried to cover up their mistakes.

It's all in Cullen's book.

Cullens' painstaking tracking of the details, including LE actions, gives real insight into how easy it is to be lulled into thinking LE is on top of things. In fact, LE is filled with people of varying degrees of competence, varying degrees of intelligence, varying degrees of honesty, and all the human elements of ego, arrogance, fear, buddyism, personal feuds, etc.

In short, LE is just like any other profession--except they have enormous power.

Frankly, in this case, I'm afraid that LE focused on TH early on, KH & DY's statements adding to it (for awhile it seemed that LE worked for KH rather than for the public!) and set out to prove themselves right in their TH theory.

A clue to that--when LE immediately assured parents their kids were safe, nothing to worry about folks. And they said that right away. What colossal arrogance--"don't you worry your pretty little head, missy, the law is here." All ego and PR. Yes, I understand they didn't want a panic, but that statement so quickly showed their frame of mind.

Unless and until LE shows up with an 18-wheeler filled with solid provable evidence that TH did something to Kyron, I'm going to continue to believe that they targeted her early on--and wanted a quick 'n easy solution and to be heroes.

Just like at Columbine. This syndrome, for lack of a better word, is fairly common and well-known.

Understand, I am not saying that TH is innocent--but there's no facts so far to prove her guilty of anything except indulging in ill-advised, tacky, and stupid behavior. And she's not the only one in this whole mess.

The Cullen book is a must-read (also available on Kindle, which is how I read it). I'm going to add in another link to his website:

http://www.davecullen.com/columbine.htm

And, on the right, click on The Columbine Guide to view actual documents, videos, and evidence (warning: very graphic).

And, overall, this story has suffered from some very very bad, amateurish, poorly-edited (or not edited at all), personal-slant (bad!) "news" and incompetently done rumor-mongering dressed up as journalism. I've seen things published that had they crossed my desk would have gone into the circular file. Too many things that were just ego stuff for on-air reporters. Too many unattributed sources with nothing added to provide any substantiation to any claim that anyone makes (apparently). Sloppy, sloppy writing, editing, and interviewing.

All in all, the media in this case, especially local--who IMHO have the greatest responsibility to their community--have earned a D- and teeter dangerously close to an F. Warning: I'm an old-school journalist raised and trained by demanding editors who put ethics and "doing it right" before everything else, including "being first." If you're first to the BBQ with a pile of dog poop instead of steak (excuse me) it doesn't much matter that you're first.:banghead:

Ooops. Ranting here. Must stop now.

sbm

She spoke to a WW reporter. Sat with him on her property and chatted. Didn't run him off. The next day, 'no trespassing' signs were up.

Wonder who did that?

Maybe Terri herself did.

Just goes to show that she was willing and able to speak with the media if she wanted to. Even *if* Kaine told her not to - she still spoke to them. If she wanted to say she had nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance - she could have.

A false child abduction and murder accusation has to be the most gut-wrenching, disgusting and horrifying accusations to heap upon an innocent person. It can be life-wrecking just to be accused, even falsely. The thought that someone facing such an accusation would think: "I should tell people I'm innocent, but... they probably wouldn't believe me." and then remaining silent- doesn't make any sense.

I can believe that after saying, "I am innocent, I had nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance, I am heartbroken and scared." --- and the public still condemning you, at a certain point you'd give up protesting. I can see that. But to not even say it once?

If Terri had come out and loudly and continually proclaimed her innocence, begged for someone to bring Kyron back, showed grief and fear on her fb page, continued to aid the investigation, publicly explained her whereabouts on June 4 so that anyone who saw her could corroborate, refrained from hinky doings, and made media appearances to get Kyron's name out there, I think a lot of people would believe her.

Anyway, the argument that denying guilt isn't helpful when people don't believe you doesn't make sense to me. If people thought I did something bad, I sure wouldn't think, "Oh, well, what's the point of denying I did it?"

Steadfast, another perspective. Right now, I'm discounting FB stuff 'cause 'net junkies tend to run to their comfy online communities almost automatically. (Don't we all do that?) And if in shock, she might have just posted...anything. Especially normal stuff. Like that "poke" people have seized on. I hate those things and try to ignore them. But the fastest way to deal with 'em is just with one click to do a poke back. And it's not clear if she was initiating or responding. And it's a little thing.

That's just one example of the tsunami of stuff about her that's been publicized, criticized, analyzed, amateur pscyhoanalyzed, etc. etc.

Early on, she was working on getting flyers picked up and out. She did family stuff with media. Then suddenly--wham! The alleged MFH plot rears up, and suddenly her husband and baby are gone, and she's slapped with an RO, and oh yes, there's that stupid sting. Plus whatever happened on the LDTs. And being ambushed by media even at her own front door.

She's now a stranger in a very strange land.

The way I see it, at first she followed KH's lead. Then she was voted off the island, left adrift, and found herself questioned and maligned in the media.

Frankly, only an idiot at that point would go to the media and say "Hey! I'm innocent!" Because that opens the door. If she has her own press conference, there'll be tons of questions that she's best off not answering as any answers can be manipulated, wrongly analyzed, misquoted, etc. Let alone everyone's interpretation. Referece: see Bean's links to the "why you shouldn't talk to the cops" videos.

Had she had a competent media advisor, it would have been good to issue one single statement something like this: "My heart is broken over the loss of Kyron. I'm also grieving over the fact that my husband chose to steal my baby, get a restraining order against me, and that he also chose to believe a story LE got out of some guy I hired for yard work months ago. After years of working to be the best parent I could be to Kyron and my other children, now I find that Kyron's biological mother, who I kept well-informed, has always believed me to be a liar. There is so much coming at me that I barely know which way to turn. But I do know this: I did not harm Kyron. And long-term, that truth will be revealed. Kyron is the most important thing here. And I hope that LE continues to investigate the possibility of a predator loose among our children. (Insert one-sentence ref to attempt to grab another child right around the time Kyron went missing, can't recall exact details right now, peeps). This country seems to be suffering from increased child abuse and predators, and like you, I never thought that I or my family would wind up in a situation like this. To whoever took or has Kyron--please, let us bring him home. Please."

That's very rough draft, folks, and needs editing. But if she had issued one written statement like that before she'd gotten an attorney--who then told her to be silent if he's as good as he's made out to be--she would have fulfilled a public-perceived need to speak out.

Again, the draft above would receive extreme editing if it were mine to follow on and do. And in no way would I ever recommend that she do a press conference, interviews, etc. I've literally trained a very smart first-time candidate with lots of community work and experience, on how to handle the media and questions from the public at debates. Even given her expertise with public works, she was easy prey when we started. (She wasn't when we finished!).

The fact that TH didn't have a media advisor and didn't issue one written statement shouldn't, IMHO, count against her. Especially not when her husband and Kyron's other parents were doing the TH bash--and at that point, throwing around phrases like "LE told us this and that". Notice that now they're backing off from that and they've had to say that their info didn't come from LE?

Please note: I'm not saying that TH is innocent. I am looking at this "in theory" of what she could have done better to appease public demands for another act in this circus. (Ahem--let alone the idiot stuff of bat phones, sexting, etc.)

If she wanted to snap back, the statement could have read something like "My heart is broken at Kyron's loss. But the focus should not be on me, or any parent. We have suffered a terrible blow, and the focus should be on Kyron and bringing him home. I intend to keep the focus on Kyron, and one way to do that is to stay out of the liimelight and therefore, out of LE's way. To whoever took Kyron--please, please let us know where he is. Send a note to the principal, call anonymously, do something, Kyron, I love you. We all love you."

Maybe Terri herself did.

Just goes to show that she was willing and able to speak with the media if she wanted to. Even *if* Kaine told her not to - she still spoke to them. If she wanted to say she had nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance - she could have.

Ami, it's amazing what people will say when media ambush them. Especially if they don't have media experience.

Which is why media ambush people. And in a society where "polite" is valued--especially for women--it's almost guaranteed that someone under stress will say something. Doesn't really matter what it is for some forms of "journalism" because the "journalist" will have achived the real goal: be able to say he/she "interviewed" the person and to get a quote, any quote.

Kat, I totally agree with you. And I don't fault her for not having a media consultant, of course that wasn't anything that was part of her world before Kyron's disappearance. And as much as I believe a lot of her behavior has been fishy and ill-advised, I don't believe every single thing she's done is suspicious. (such as trying to take her daughter from daycare - this is an impulse I completely understand and a very natural reaction to your child being held from you).

Still, a simple statement of innocence, even one that was not run past legal departments and advisors, even one conceived and written out of impulse after the first round of accusations and later perhaps regretted - would have seemed like a more "normal" reaction to such a heinous accusation.

My google search came up with the link posted here. It's the first post in the "Terri Horman may talk to the media thread" lol. I knew I remembered reading that in msm. The link posted at WS is to the main news site only, but the article was snipped and quoted. I'm sure a google search of a snippet of the text would find the correct link.

Terri Horman May Talk To Media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Terri may talk to the media
PORTLAND, Ore. – Terri Moulton Horman was “blindsided” by the divorce papers, according to a close friend.

A friend of Terri who wished to remain anonymous, told KOIN Local 6 Kyron Horman’s step-mother was caught off guard when she was served divorce papers as well as a restraining order from her husband and Kyron’s father, Kaine Horman.

“Terri didn’t know she was going to be hit with divorce papers or a restraining order,” the friend said.

The friend said Terri may consider talking publicly and airing her side of the story.

“She’s been doing what Kaine said all along and he’s been telling her to stay quiet. The public will benefit from hearing what she has to say.”
http://www.koinlocal6.com/default.aspx

Interesting a friend is saying TH has followed the advice her of her husband to stay quiet.....and that she may now talk to the media.

Isn't this an OLD article? And to be clear, Kaine Horman sent out an email to many of his friends and co-workers early on telling them NOT to talk to the media. This statement from Terri does coincide with what he had asked others to do.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back