AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If her Mom and Dad and Friends think she is hiding I wonder if they have an idea WHY?
Who would she need protection from?

But the child or children NEED to be in SCHOOL!
An Education makes the world of difference and also could mean a different world for the child! There is no excuse for a child to quit school in 8th grade im sorry....You want your children to have a better life than the one you had right?

Ruby Payne, who does a lot of workshops about poverty in education, says most times in generational poverty you find people who value family over anything/everything else.

In a nutshell, if a child becomes well educated (I was thinking college.) then the chances are high that child will move away to another town. Child moves away...they lose what they value the most.

How many times have we heard someone say, "I just know they'll go off to college and then will want to move away".

http://www.ahaprocess.com/

I realize I'm new here and don't know how things are usually done, but I feel like it's not beneficial to finding BW discussing what mistakes were made in raising her. There's nothing we can do to change that now. Just my opinion.

I agree...although, in the back of my mind it makes me wonder with the recent arrests if she was perhaps being abused at that time which caused her to not want to go to school. :twocents:

If her Mom and Dad and Friends think she is hiding I wonder if they have an idea WHY?

I wondered the same thing when reading FB pages. Perhaps mom & dad don't know and are just guessing that she is afraid and hiding? moo

I realize I'm new here and don't know how things are usually done, but I feel like it's not beneficial to finding BW discussing what mistakes were made in raising her. There's nothing we can do to change that now. Just my opinion.

Ah honey, don't feel bad about whatever might have happened in the past. I don't know one parent that hasn't made mistakes or wishes things had turned out differently. I think you'll find WS very forgiving and understanding. If you feel we might pry into Brittney's past, it's because sometimes the past predicts the future.

People learn how to cope from dealing with stress. If we know how Brittney has coped in the past, maybe we can understand what measures she may be taking now. She's been described as feeling invincible. So perhaps she would be open to taking more risks than the usual 19 yo girl. She may have hopped a ride to the west coast, where another timid girl would never consider it.

All my own opinion.

WH doesn't think she's hiding. He believes she is dead. CW is clinging to the belief that she is hiding because I don't think she can deal with thinking otherwise. Not to mention, the Mobile PD has told them repeatedly they believe she is hiding. No one really knows why she would be hiding, and from what I gather, the idea came from Mobile PD. Personally, I think it sure does make their job easier if an adult is hiding vs. actually missing--then they don't really have to work it. MOO

Ah honey, don't feel bad about whatever might have happened in the past. I don't know one parent that hasn't made mistakes or wishes things had turned out differently. I think you'll find WS very forgiving and understanding. If you feel we might pry into Brittney's past, it's because sometimes the past predicts the future.

People learn how to cope from dealing with stress. If we know how Brittney has coped in the past, maybe we can understand what measures she may be taking now. She's been described as feeling invincible. So perhaps she would be open to taking more risks than the usual 19 yo girl. She may have hopped a ride to the west coast, where another timid girl would never consider it.

All my own opinion.

Thanks, gliving.

I guess the problem those who are close to her have is that it's now been 25 days since she was in contact with anyone. The most she's gone without contacting her mom is 2 or 3 days, but even then, she was in contact with at least a friend. There's no solid explanation they can think of for why she would do that. She wasn't in a fight with her family that might make her not want to be in contact. It's just a mystery.

Ruby Payne, who does a lot of workshops about poverty in education, says most times in generational poverty you find people who value family over anything/everything else.

In a nutshell, if a child becomes well educated (I was thinking college.) then the chances are high that child will move away to another town. Child moves away...they lose what they value the most.

How many times have we heard someone say, "I just know they'll go off to college and then will want to move away".

http://www.ahaprocess.com/

LOL i guess.....

You're definitely right, Zeaux... However, if she dropped out in 8th grade and was 16 at the time - which would have been the law as it's mandated that a child has to be 16 or older to do so and needs parental signature. So that's why I think something was going on in her life back then and it could honestly have something to do with why she turned to drugs. Please don't think I'm referring to bad parenting bc I'm not. I'm trying to figure out how it could even be considered normal to drop out in 8th grade. I can't grasp it. I graduated hs at 17, most kids are 17-18 when they graduate. So considering she left in 8th grade, and acknowledging she wouldn't have been able to do so unless she was 16 or older, it suggests she was 16 in 8th grade...which is crazy bc that staying back at least 2 years either during or prior to 8th. It definitely suggests something wasn't right and more so than just having a rough childhood. I'm wondering if something happened to Brittney but she kept it a secret, therefore it could be what drives her to stay hidden if in fact she still alive. If she's used to keeping big secrets, something like this wouldn't be so hard to imagine. Then pair it with meth use to blurr her reality during the day as well as in dreams, well she could be creating a whole new reality for herself. Capice? Just brainstorming... Trying Zeaux...

I agree...although, in the back of my mind it makes me wonder with the recent arrests if she was perhaps being abused at that time which caused her to not want to go to school. :twocents:

Which is what I was wondering as well... 8th grade & 16 y/o. It's just sooo hard to imagine.

It's extremely easy to drop out at fourteen and/or in the 8th grade. Sometimes the schools even encourage it. If the school's administration doesn't want a student, they simply ask them not to come back, off the record, and don't report the "absences" to truancy officers. Students can earn the designation of "undesirable" for any number of reasons: economic, social standing in the community, lack of athletic talent or perceived lack of potential, behavior. This happens more often than you'd think. I was unofficially asked to not return, myself. This was in the nineties. Also, if one completes 8th grade but drops out before completing the 9th, they're considered to have an 8th grade education

Edited to add: I should also point out that, in my experience growing up in a small public school system in a rural area, the so-called undesirable students are pegged at an early age and often made to feel so uncomfortable and hopeless throughout their school career that finally dropping out is a huge relief. Many never have a chance - their family name or ethnic background or economic situation has doomed them from birth. They'll never win awards, or be chosen for parts in plays, or solos in choir, or win homecoming queen, no matter how hard they try. It's sad that the world is this way, but it's human nature, I suppose.

Sorry to be so long-winded but I'm hoping this is helpful to those who aren't familiar with small-town rural life.

Thanks, gliving.

I guess the problem those who are close to her have is that it's now been 25 days since she was in contact with anyone. The most she's gone without contacting her mom is 2 or 3 days, but even then, she was in contact with at least a friend. There's no solid explanation they can think of for why she would do that. She wasn't in a fight with her family that might make her not want to be in contact. It's just a mystery.

There's no explaining teenagers in the best of circumstances. I say my prayers for those who love her.

LOL i guess.....
I meant they'd want to move to another city or state...not just move out of the house. They wouldn't have the means/way to travel to see them.

For me though when my kids were in the throes of adolescence I think I was counting the days they'd be moving out! (and that's the truth not JMOO!)

I never thought so earlier, but I'm now wondering if DH's suicide and BW's disappearance have nothing to do with each other. It makes sense that DH would kill himself. He had a meeting with LE that day and he probably knew that he would be detained (and/or asked to turn in RSW and DK) and that his life was over. He may have had one last blowout (meth with BW) the night before and then decided that it was the end for him. BW may have gone on to Grand Bay to find more drugs and something terrible may have happened during that pursuit.

I don't think BW confronted DH or any of her uncles about any alleged molestation. I don't think that was even on her radar. Meth addicts are another breed, unfortunately....and BW is a lovely girl, I'm sure, but meth is such a horrible drug...it can definitely create some apathy and the drive to do only one thing: more meth.
She might only have been with DH long enough that night to do/score drugs and then she was on her way again.

I have a question??
What made them think she was missing?
Was it because DH shot himself?
Or no one could reach her or knew where she went?

Zeaux,
I apologize if any posts or questions have made you wince. I've never meant to say negative things about the family. I think about BW all the time and keep trying to wrap my head around everything I know. I then get curious and want to know more and then want to know why.
We here, are removed from the situation. I hope you are doing okay and are taking care of yourself. I know you are a true blessing for this family.

Wasn't BW pregnant at 16?

Her birth date is September 25, 1992 and baby P just turned 2. More like 17 if my math is right. You might want to double check my figures. :blushing:

I see a few of her fb friends are "home schooled".

Wasn't BW pregnant at 16?

I think so bc PH is 2 & Brittney is 19, plus she'd be preg for 9-10 months...right? Not sure. Is PH 2 or 3? Omg if I could reach out to anybody, I'd reach out to her. She needs help. Her whole family might just need a nice lending hand for so much more than material stuff. Counseling, education, living arrangements, Jesus just something positive to look forward to. I sure hope this young lady is alive so she can have another chance of getting her life together and realizing that she can be somebody. Ya know? If only... I'd definitely help in any way I could to get this girl in an institution such as the one in Colorado that's like a spa. They get addicts clean, provide mandated counseling, supply education for various venues including trades, and they take people that don't have the money to go there based on recommendation. Brittney, if she's still alive, can have a wonderful future someday - if only she could just see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken