2010.05.10 - Casey Anthony Motions Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully beg to differ. In my opinion she could party all night and still be their to read to her child and feed her in the morning. Toddlers are in bed by 8 or 9 at the latest. The party does not start until 10-11. The Club closes at 2 so she could be home by 3 or so in the morning. She could still be a good mom.
IF she was working the night shift with the same hours we would not say she was a bad mom. If SA goes down this line, I think it will hurt them. I think they should use the party pics only to show state of mind while Caylee was missing and nothing more. If they start harping on her life style as a single mom and calling her a bad mom because of it...it might not click with a juror.

Just the opinion of a child raised by a single mother who although did go out and have a good time some nights, made sure my need was ALWAYS met and I was well cared for. She was always the last face I saw at night and the first I saw in the morning...usually telling me about her night.

BBM
ITA... Is it the case here? Hard to say. BUT..........I find it curious that JB jumped on the whine wagon about the SA using the photos to claim KC was not a good mom. He not only stuck his foot in his mouth BUT...he did so with gusto. JB likely wants to introduce lay opinion that KC was a good mom.

He "assumed" that the SA would say she wasn't. He argued that the photos have no relevance as they were taken after the date that the SA would claim Caylee died. Or actually...that the events on the 16th had nothing to do with the 20th.

LDB stated that they would use photos to rebut KC's own statements to LE about visiting bars to look for "Zanny". Well........JB doesn't want them in there becasue then it will open the door to the Zanny theory that they have been so obviously distancing themselves from.

JB will argue the photos are inflammatory...and IMO...many of them are. BUT...the photos at Fusian are totally relevant. Just as much as the target video, Blockbuster video, etc....that show her without Caylee in tow.

I would caution the SA to move far away from any reference to the "style" of attire. BUT....Judge P was the one to say "mini dress" and "up on stage". LDB even said that there were photos of KC in booths, and sitting at tables.

Perhaps if KC had been photographed "peaking under tables" or "peaking behind the bar"..........one could say...."She was looking for clues". But in the absence of any evidence her participating in a "scavenger hunt" for Intel....those photos do in fact demonstrate her "state of mind" her "behavior" and her whereabouts.

The defense team referred to them as Ugly Coping. Well....what was she "coping with" may I ask?????? JB.....it is best to recall all your past statements, arguments, and "soundbites". They'll bite ya back if you're not careful!!!!!

Okay someone in the know please help me here.

When is Judge Perry going to actually hear and rule on the TES motion and get it over with once and for all? Does anyone know? I kept waiting for it this morning and got up to watch at 6am my time in hopes of seeing that particular smackdown.

He just filed the motion last Thursday. The State and NeJame haven't had a chance to reply. I'm sure NeJame will have some good stuff to say!

I was just going to say this. I can't figure out why they would want Miami considering KC blamed an imaginary Puerto Rican woman (right? or half Puerto Rican half something else?) for her crime.

I think is because JB hopes they, the jury, WILL LIKE HIM more! Cubans do tend to do this...stereotype another Cubans as being more trustworthy and smart than an "American." IDK why that is :waitasec:

I, too, am not understanding the references to "To Kill a Mockingbird" and the desires to align his case with any minority gender/race. Last time I saw Casey she appeared to be a Caucasian female. Neither of those classifications is a minority (IIRC, 100% of mothers are female). Is he trying to inject his minority status into the equation? If so, I certainly don't think that should be a factor!!!

I agree. To me it came off as clumsy and insulting to the judge. It was like, "So, judge, I noticed you were black, so I was just thinking...what can I say about law that a black man would understand? And finally I hit upon it--To Kill a Mockingbird! That's about black people and law!" :banghead:

I think is because JB hopes they, the jury, WILL LIKE HIM more! Cubans do tend to do this...stereotype another Cubans as being more trustworthy and smart than an "American." IDK why that is :waitasec:

I respectfully disagree. That may be true when doing private business amongst themselves - and that "good old boy" mentality pervades many immigrant or ethnic or cultural groups, (even demographics who have been here longest) often those who have been taken advantage of before they are fully assimilated or ones who are not confident of moving in different cultural circles yet. Heck, the whole "carpetbagger" mentality was used by Southerners to stereotype Yankees (and vice versa) for years,, whether justifiable or not. Much of the Latino community in S. Florida is very established and second or third generation.

However, I've noticed that many assimilating minorities are harder on those of their own in high visibility jobs in which that individual's performance may reinforce negative stereotypes of their group by others. I doubt that JB's smug attitude has done anything to endear himself to the Latino community in South Florida, and his lack of respect for the court may earn him their ire. As a demographic, they tend to be conservative, and nothing this man has done has cast a good light on his forebears. I wouldn't count on partiality being any kind of factor, although I suppose JB is. I saw the look on the man who testified at the one hearing (his name escapes me now) who was Latino, and he did not appear overly impressed with J. Baez Esquire.

Who says that would be their ultimate motive for getting those photos into evidence. Many times you say you want particular evidence in for "x" reason because it has the most sound legal authority for its admissibility. When really you want it entered for "y" reason which doesn't have as much legal weight to its admissibility. Either way the jury gets to see it. And once it's out there it's out there. All the jurors need to hear is the DATE that the photos were taken.

Frankly those photos of her in the blue dress should be admitted not because it shows she's a "bad mother" but that allegedly according to Casey's own admission to LE a few days prior her defenceless 2 year old child was kidnapped and she had no idea where she was. You can't fake the utter joyful smile on her face on those photos. She was legitimately happy in those photos. Couple that with her IM to her friend that this time-frame "was the happiest she's been in a long time" and you have a woman not at all worried about her "missing" two year old child. She was in total bliss for most of that 31 days. The only time she wasn't was when she was avoiding her family.

The jury doesn't have to hear the evidence or see the evidence in close proximity. They will piece the evidence together in the jury room. This is a really simple case and those with common sense will see right to the bottom line. No matter what county you're from.

ITA. That is why I was saying they should use them to show state of mind while Caylee was "missing" not to combat JB saying she was a good mom like LB said today. But I am with you, as long as the jury sees them its a win for the state.

BBM
ITA... Is it the case here? Hard to say. BUT..........I find it curious that JB jumped on the whine wagon about the SA using the photos to claim KC was not a good mom. He not only stuck his foot in his mouth BUT...he did so with gusto. JB likely wants to introduce lay opinion that KC was a good mom.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Whine wagon. I love it.

I respectfully disagree. That may be true when doing private business amongst themselves - and that "good old boy" mentality pervades many immigrant or ethnic or cultural groups, (even demographics who have been here longest) often those who have been taken advantage of before they are fully assimilated or ones who are not confident of moving in different cultural circles yet. Heck, the whole "carpetbagger" mentality was used by Southerners to stereotype Yankees (and vice versa) for years,, whether justifiable or not. Much of the Latino community in S. Florida is very established and second or third generation.

However, I've noticed that many assimilating minorities are harder on those of their own in high visibility jobs in which that individual's performance may reinforce negative stereotypes of their group by others. I doubt that JB's smug attitude has done anything to endear himself to the Latino community in South Florida, and his lack of respect for the court may earn him their ire. As a demographic, they tend to be conservative, and nothing this man has done has cast a good light on his forebears. I wouldn't count on partiality being any kind of factor, although I suppose JB is. I saw the look on the man who testified at the one hearing (his name escapes me now) who was Latino, and he did not appear overly impressed with J. Baez Esquire.

Yes, I agree with you. JB is betting wrong. I was only stating what he is hoping for.
He is counting on the stereotype. He is hoping for a jury, all cuban, first generation, that may take a liking to him just because he is like them. I'm certainly sure this WILL NOT happen, for the reasons you've stated and because they population is mostly conservative that would not be too impressed with KC herself. Also pro capital punishment.

BBM

He "assumed" that the SA would say she wasn't. He argued that the photos have no relevance as they were taken after the date that the SA would claim Caylee died. Or actually...that the events on the 16th had nothing to do with the 20th.

LDB stated that they would use photos to rebut KC's own statements to LE about visiting bars to look for "Zanny". Well........JB doesn't want them in there becasue then it will open the door to the Zanny theory that they have been so obviously distancing themselves from.

JB will argue the photos are inflammatory...and IMO...many of them are. BUT...the photos at Fusian are totally relevant. Just as much as the target video, Blockbuster video, etc....that show her without Caylee in tow.

I would caution the SA to move far away from any reference to the "style" of attire. BUT....Judge P was the one to say "mini dress" and "up on stage". LDB even said that there were photos of KC in booths, and sitting at tables.

Perhaps if KC had been photographed "peaking under tables" or "peaking behind the bar"..........one could say...."She was looking for clues". But in the absence of any evidence her participating in a "scavenger hunt" for Intel....those photos do in fact demonstrate her "state of mind" her "behavior" and her whereabouts.

The defense team referred to them as Ugly Coping. Well....what was she "coping with" may I ask?????? JB.....it is best to recall all your past statements, arguments, and "soundbites". They'll bite ya back if you're not careful!!!!!

ITA. I don't think KC was a good mom, but I base that on the fact that she let her sleep in random places sometimes sharing a bed with her and a beau. She also called her "snot head" and brought her the no clothes party! She was not supporting her financially in fact stole money from her bank account. :snooty: Not to mention if proven, put her daughter to sleep in the trunk of the car and ultimately killed her.

I just don't think the state should use the photos of her party to establish mothering ability. I DO think they should use them to show she could not care less that she was missing. The whole ugly coping thing is just...well...ugly and won't fly.

I always felt the A's would not truly grieve until the media of this case died down. With all the drama going on it gave them a place to vent and someone to be angry at. Once this dies down the only one they will be able to be angry at is KC. Mothers day must have been extremely hard for them yesterday.

Agree - heartbreaking.... two years ago they had a daughter and a beautiful grand daughter. They must look at each other and say what the h**l happened.

ITA. That is why I was saying they should use them to show state of mind while Caylee was "missing" not to combat JB saying she was a good mom like LB said today. But I am with you, as long as the jury sees them its a win for the state.

I think LB's comment was regarding the "BEFORE" photos--prior to June 15. The question is, why does the jury need to know that Casey partied before June 15? The answer is, well, it depends what the defense plans to argue. If they say Casey was "super mom," always with Caylee unless she was "working," in which case she (reluctantly, and with sad mommy tears!) allowed Cindy to watch her, then the State should be able to show that (1) she was never working lol, and (2) she wasn't doing anything else too important during the times she left Caylee with Cindy, either.

Another example: if the defense plans to say that Casey couldn't possibly have murdered Caylee so she could be free to party because Casey didn't even LIKE partying :innocent: but would rather read classic novels, then the State should be able to show that Casey was no stranger to the world of partying.

Example #3: if the defense plans to say that Casey was a sweet young mommy until Caylee was kidnapped/killed by ZFG and/or her nefarious associate or nemesis RK, after which her entire personality changed and she began "UGLY COPING," the State should be allowed to show that Casey was ugly long before she had any reason for coping.

A question about Miami for those in the know please?

(a quick nod in cecybeans direction about the post above me, wel said thanks)

Q:What is the majority of that city? Liberal or conservative? Of those perspective jurors (jury pool) that would be considered KC's peers what is their views?

I live in a city in a very conservative state however given the demographics this particular city is very liberal. One of the most liberal and progressive in that manner that I've seen.

If the viewpoints of the town are more liberal to moderate then I would suspect he is looking to use those demographics for jurors because many (not all, but many) of those people that are more liberal to moderate are opposed to the death penalty.

Just a thought.

What kind of sentences do Miami jurors hand down for Mothers that murder their children? If we see a more reserved sentencing within that county without looking at the particulars in this case but look instead at the nature of the crime. I wonder what kind of climate it is in Miami towards young women that kill their children. (not just murder).

IMHO this isn't as simple as ethnicity of jurors and the defense attn. I can't see where that comes into play. He's not Cuban. (at least I don't think he is?) Most Latinos don't like to be lumped as a whole into the word "hispanic" and prefer to identify with their (or parents, grandparents...etc) originating country and there can be a lot of tension between the different originating countries (Cuban VS. PR, or Mexican VS. "fill in the country").

All just my opinion. I tried my best to use general terms and to not sterotype and encompass all people in the statements I made above.

Did you not love when asked 'Do you think Miami would be better because it has a party atmosphere?'

"What? Me going there to party? Are you out of your mind? This is not about parties and anyone who thinks it is......" :crazy:

OK, so I paraphrased a little but come now JB, we all know this is about 31 days of boys, sex, parties, sex, parties, boys and sex. Otherwise, Caylee would most likely still be here...
:martini::genie: :Banane59: :toast:

JB plays the fool quite well, except when he tries to play the fool. Then he just looks... well, foolish. :jester:

I'm not so sure about that, because I don't believe Casey's sole reason for murdering Caylee was so she could party.

Her main reason was because she was jealous of Cindy as is reflected in Cindy's myspace letter. Casey really did hate Cindy "that much", as Shirley Plesea intimated and whatever happened during the fighting and arguing when Casey finally showed up :rolleyes: on the evening of Father's Day, the tension between Cindy and Casey was volatile and explosive.

No matter if Casey wanted to join a convent for the rest of her life, or read those classic novels AZlawyer mentioned, she would have still murdered Caylee, just to spite and hurt Cindy.

Casey said it herself, "I'm a spiteful b!tch!" And a murderous one, to boot.

Q:What is the majority of that city? Liberal or conservative? Of those perspective jurors (jury pool) that would be considered KC's peers what is their views?

I live in a city in a very conservative state however given the demographics this particular city is very liberal. One of the most liberal and progressive in that manner that I've seen.

If the viewpoints of the town are more liberal to moderate then I would suspect he is looking to use those demographics for jurors because many (not all, but many) of those people that are more liberal to moderate are opposed to the death penalty.

Just a thought.

What kind of sentences do Miami jurors hand down for Mothers that murder their children? If we see a more reserved sentencing within that county without looking at the particulars in this case but look instead at the nature of the crime. I wonder what kind of climate it is in Miami towards young women that kill their children. (not just murder).

IMHO this isn't as simple as ethnicity of jurors and the defense attn. I can't see where that comes into play. He's not Cuban. (at least I don't think he is?) Most Latinos don't like to be lumped as a whole into the word "hispanic" and prefer to identify with their (or parents, grandparents...etc) originating country and there can be a lot of tension between the different originating countries (Cuban VS. PR, or Mexican VS. "fill in the country").

All just my opinion. I tried my best to use general terms and to not sterotype and encompass all people in the statements I made above.

This great post brings up a question that I've always had. (I'm hoping I'm not the only one.) What does "a jury of your peers" mean? Does it mean people just like you or does it mean people just like (same demographics) you lived with (even if your neighbors were white and you were not). What does it mean? Who the heck are these peers?

Just a thought.

I don't have the exact stats...I guess someone may look those up. But politically, Miami Republican conservative, catholic. They may dress liberal, but that's where it ends. IMO. (I'm first generation, miami born cuban :)
JB IS Cuban. He may have grown up in Puerto Rico, like many other Cuban immigrants but he is as Cuban as I am. Not that it matters but I think this is why he wants Miami.
And you are right, Hispanics do not like to be grouped together but then who does? But again, I think JB is hoping for "those" cubans that may do this stereotyping and like him. MOO

1) Wasn't it kind of stupid for JB to include footage of all the searchers in his little video segment. It shows people coming from all over the country to look for Caylee. This to me says that if people from across the country tune into and care about this case, I'm sure people in the not too far city of Miami do as well..

2) Do the Anthony's realize how pathetic they are making themselves look by going to every hearing and desperately seeking KC's attention. It is now written proof that she told fellow inmates that her father molested her and that her mom even blamed her for the fact that her brother did! The fact that they (especially GA) seem totally ok with this is just disturbing to say the least..

Sorry if this is OT, but does anyone know what time the hearing is tomorrow?

I don't have the exact stats...I guess someone may look those up. But politically, Miami Republican conservative, catholic. They may dress liberal, but that's where it ends. IMO. (I'm first generation, miami born cuban :)
JB IS Cuban. He may have grown up in Puerto Rico, like many other Cuban immigrants but he is as Cuban as I am. Not that it matters but I think this is why he wants Miami.
And you are right, Hispanics do not like to be grouped together but then who does? But again, I think JB is hoping for "those" cubans that may do this stereotyping and like him. MOO

I don't have a link handy, but I know I found this on the Clerk of the Court records for Osceola County a long time ago.

According to his marriage license, he was born in New York. He has stated he was raised in the Bronx (where my DH was born and raised).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie