Citrus sodas' caffeine content tops cola

Dark Knight

Reaction score
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Looking for a quick pick-me-up to get through a long afternoon? Forget that cola. A fizzy citrus drink could provide even more of a boost. A new study shows that citrus-flavored sodas often have a higher caffeine content than the most popular colas. The research also found that caffeine content can vary widely from brand to brand, and even within a brand.

The Food and Drug Administration does not limit the amount of caffeine in foods. FDA spokeswoman Veronica Castro said a 0.02 percent caffeine content is generally recognized as safe for cola-type beverages.

For a 12-ounce soft drink, that's about 72 milligrams of caffeine.

The study by Bell and co-author Ken-Hong Chou found caffeine content in 12-ounce sodas ranged from 4.9 milligrams for a store brand of cola to 74 milligrams in Vault Zero, a citrus drink.

Caffeine content of well-known national brands include: Coca-Cola (33.9 milligrams), Diet Pepsi (36.7 milligrams), Pepsi (38.9 milligrams), Dr Pepper (42.6 milligrams), Diet Dr Pepper (44.1 milligrams), Diet Coke (46.3 milligrams), Mountain Dew (54.8 milligrams) and Diet Mountain Dew (55.2 milligrams).

By comparison, according to the American Beverage Association Web site, a 12-ounce cup of coffee has between 156 and 288 milligrams of caffeine, and the same amount of tea has 30-135 milligrams.

Bell said the data provided by manufacturers of national brand soft drinks was consistent with the findings of his study. He said the caffeine data for store brand drinks is not easy to find and often isn't available at all.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070905/ap_on_he_me/diet_soda_caffeine;_ylt=Avwgf2ibqQtbkWr3S2jNcX2s0NUE

Have to say this isn't new news. lol. Funny how the news media wants to throw us information that is eons old. My husband is 50, my bil 54, my daughter 27........all 3 drink Mountain Dew instead of coffee for their morning pick me up and have done so for years. When my daughter was in high school Mountain Dew was the one soft drink the educators kept out of the soda machines because they knew the kids would bounce off the walls after drinking it.

Have to say this isn't new news. lol. Funny how the news media wants to throw us information that is eons old. My husband is 50, my bil 54, my daughter 27........all 3 drink Mountain Dew instead of coffee for their morning pick me up and have done so for years. When my daughter was in high school Mountain Dew was the one soft drink the educators kept out of the soda machines because they knew the kids would bounce off the walls after drinking it.

Coffee still has more caffeine than Mountain Dew.

Yes, I'm aware of that DK.
Guess I should have added that my family prefers to drink Mt. Dew instead of coffee.

Much better! Do I have to do EVERYTHING around here? :crazy:

Yes! and I see you're slacking off on your Jury Room duties, Char22 went without a birthday thread the other day...or yesterday....or one day anyway lol-

Remember Mello Yellow? I wonder if they still make that anymore.

Remember Mello Yellow? I wonder if they still make that anymore.

I think they do. Isn't it like Mountain Dew?

I am a morning Pepsi person. I hate coffee.

I love my Mt. Dew but I've had some recent anxiety issues and caffeine didn't really help at all so I've pretty much eliminated it completely.

Any time I had caffeine it seems to make me sweat profusely. I like not soaking through my shirts so it's water, excercise, and sleep for me.

Since I would be the size of a blimp if I drank Dr. Pepper all day, I have switched to Fresca. It has Zero calories and Zero caffine, so I can have as much as I want! (Um, that is after I have my morning coffee!)

Nothing however, beats hot Dr.P with a twist of lemon for a wintertime sore throat remedy!

Susan

Why do you guys think I am posting at 2 am?

I had a diet coke at 3 PM LOL. Its just about worn off by now.

Has anyine tried the new Diet Pepsi Max? It's supposed to have higher caffeine plus ginseng in it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back