Identified! IN - Lake Village, 'Brad' 1384UMIN, Eyler victim, Oct'83 - John Ingram Brandenburg, Jr.

I keep coming back to William Kermig Summers, Jr. for some reason:

Doe Network Link: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/412dmwa.html

The eyes, nose and cheekbones look very similar to me, though the chin is no where near as prominent as Brad Doe's. The hand-made tattoos seem like something a young guy in the Navy might have, and the cross tattoo would be fitting of a "very religious" man like William. The distance is pretty far, but I suppose if he was going to Canada as suspected he might have back-tracked home toward Alabama, which could conceivably take him through Indiana. The chin-line is the one thing that keeps throwing me off, though.

I was looking at WKS yesterday. The height and age is right, and the timeline is fairly close, but I didn't see enough else there to convince me that it was him.

I also spotted Donald Douma: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1969dmon.html
I think it's the strong chin that drew me to him, but his cheekbones aren't as pronounced and the nose is a bit too small. Again, the distance is a factor, but it could be possible that as he was traveling west he took a detour south toward the States? (Honestly, though, the chin is the only thing that made Donald really stand out to me...too bad we don't have dentals yet for BD.)

This one looks more like you might have something there. The "avid outdoorsman" description fits with the hiking boots in which Brad Doe was found. The timeline is a bit of a stretch, but not totally implausible.

I guess the body was not that badly decomposed if they could still see the tattoos on his arms, but I still wonder how accurate the drawing is. Certain features seem exaggerated to me, so I would not be too concerned about the nose or cheekbones.

Another thing that catches my attention is the downward toward the ears slant of his eyes that give him the sort of the "sad" look.

Of course, the basic physical description (i.e., Height, age, weight) are pretty much OK. The fact that he frequently hitchhiked fits this situation also.

I think I would call it in. There is enough there to say that he should at least be considered. There are very few others on the MP sites that even come close.

Welcome to Websleuths, BTW.

Side by side of Donald and Brad Doe.

I think the Brad Doe sketch is one of those that's exaggerated to call attention to prominent features, rather than being realistic. So a rawboned face with prominent jaw and ears, which Donald doesn't really match. But the demographics look at least reasonable. It's worth calling in.

Attachments

• DDouma.jpg
    DDouma.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1384UMIN.jpg
    1384UMIN.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 72
Thank you very much CarlK and carbuff! I found an email address for the Newton County Coroner Scott McCord, so I wrote to him directly about looking into Donald (I'm just really shy and not comfortable making a phone call). If anyone wants to call the number listed on the Doe Network please feel free to do so. I'll let you know if I hear anything from Mr. McCord.

I just received an email back from Scott!:woohoo:

Hi Cori;
All I can say is WOW !! When I opened the DoeNetwork page and saw his picture it sure is a lookalike. We have a policy here with my little "task force" that we do not disregard any lead no matter what so I will check this out and I will keep you posted on any progress.
Thanks for the tip !!
Scott

I'm truly touched at how enthusiastic Scott is. Even if Donald isn't a match I have faith that Scott will do all he can to make sure these two young Does find their names again.

I just received an email back from Scott!:woohoo:

Hi Cori;
All I can say is WOW !! When I opened the DoeNetwork page and saw his picture it sure is a lookalike. We have a policy here with my little "task force" that we do not disregard any lead no matter what so I will check this out and I will keep you posted on any progress.
Thanks for the tip !!
Scott

I'm truly touched at how enthusiastic Scott is. Even if Donald isn't a match I have faith that Scott will do all he can to make sure these two young Does find their names again.

Cool! Actually this has been my experience with the ME/Coroners I have made contact with, after being convinved it wasn't so scary to call them after all by one of our wonderful WS'rs believe09.

I'm glad you too were able to experience such positive feedback. I do think, I would have submitted both of the possibles. I think they both are worth at least ruling out. Rule outs are good too, it means no stone was left unturned.

I'm glad you too were able to experience such positive feedback. I do think, I would have submitted both of the possibles. I think they both are worth at least ruling out. Rule outs are good too, it means no stone was left unturned.
Thanks! I did send a follow-up email to him with a link to William Summers, Jr. as well since Scott had written that they don't "disregard any lead no matter what". As you said, a list of rule-outs can be helpful as well.

DoeNet just created a new profile for Adam Doe.

The Doe Network:
Case File 999UMIN
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/999umin.html

999UMIN.JPG
999UMIN1.JPG
999UMIN2.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified Black Male

* The victim was discovered on October 18, 1983 in Lake Village, Newton County, Indiana
* Estimated Date of Death: 1982-1983
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 17-19 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 72"; 180 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black, close cropped hair.
* Dentals: Available

Case History
Victim of Larry Eyler, a Crawfordsville native who confessed to murdering nearly two dozen young men in the Midwest in the early 1980s. He was dubbed the "Highway Killer" because of where most of his victims' bodies were found -- left in locations between Eyler's two residences in Terre Haute and Chicago. His path often followed U.S. 41 in Indiana and Interstate 57 in Illinois.

Five victims have been found in Newton and Jasper counties, all linked to Eyler. Eyler would take victims from southern Indiana and bury them in northern Indiana -- and vice versa -- to avoid detection.

This victim had been drugged, bound and stabbed to death then buried in a shallow grave. Mushroom hunters found him on an abandoned farm property near Sumava Resorts on October 18, 1983, along with three others. Two of them were identified after families came forward, and dental records were matched. Eyler, who was convicted of murder and other charges in Illinois and Indiana, died while in custody in Illinois of AIDS-related complications in 1994.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Newton County Coroners Office
219-414-3331
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
56-09-Adam83

DoeNet just created a page on L Eyler victim Brad Doe, and included a sketch. Here is the link.

The Doe Network:
Case File 1384UMIN

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1384umin.html

1384UMIN.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on October 18, 1983 in Lake Village, Newton County, Indiana

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 18-28 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'11-6'1""; 160 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Home-made type tattoos found on the right forearm. One is of a cross with two "dots" above the horizontal. This tattoo is located on the palm side of the arm nearer to the wrist. A second tattoo of the same make is of a rectangle with dot. This tattoo is on the outer surface of the right arm.
* Clothing: Brown slacks with small buttons on the front, size 30"x30". Jockey type undershorts. Brown fleeced lined hiking type boots (leather) (ankle high), brown shoe laces through metal eyelets.
* Dentals: Available

Case History
Victim of Larry Eyler, a Crawfordsville native who confessed to murdering nearly two dozen young men in the Midwest in the early 1980s. He was dubbed the "Highway Killer" because of where most of his victims' bodies were found -- left in locations between Eyler's two residences in Terre Haute and Chicago. His path often followed U.S. 41 in Indiana and Interstate 57 in Illinois. Five victims have been found in Newton and Jasper counties, all linked to Eyler. Eyler would take victims from southern Indiana and bury them in northern Indiana -- and vice versa -- to avoid detection.

This victim had been drugged, bound and stabbed to death then buried in a shallow grave. Mushroom hunters found him on an abandoned farm property near Sumava Resorts on October 18, 1983, along with three others. Two of them were identified after families came forward, and dental records were matched.

Eyler, who was convicted of murder and other charges in Illinois and Indiana, died while in custody in Illinois of AIDS-related complications in 1994.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Newton County Coroners Office
219-414-3331
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
56-09-Brad83

Source Information:
NamUs
JC Online

This guy just showed up in DoeNet yesterday, and he reminded me of Brad Doe.

William Joseph Powers III
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2352dmtx.html

WJPowers1.jpg
WJPowers.jpg
___
1384UMIN.jpg

There is no mention of tattoos, but everything else lines up pretty well.

Good find Carl! I would submit! I really would. The lack of mention of the homemade tats is not enough of a difference to not submit.

Go for it! Great find!

I just sent off an e-mail to the Newton County Coroner, attn: Scott McCord.

Thanks Carl, from the initial media reports Scott McCord sounds like a David VanNorman in the making. :) We need more like them!

Respectfully, and that is meant to be a compliment to both. :)

This guy just showed up in DoeNet yesterday, and he reminded me of Brad Doe.

William Joseph Powers III
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2352dmtx.html

WJPowers1.jpg
WJPowers.jpg
___
1384UMIN.jpg

There is no mention of tattoos, but everything else lines up pretty well.

I received a reply from Scott McCord:

Got the e-mail and will add you in my address book....I will followup on this and see where it might go. Next week I will be sending off bones from my three "kids" for DNA analysis and get them into CODIS so thank you very much for the headsup.

I just found this thread as I learned yesterday (here on WS) that my cousin was murdered by Larry Eyler. I've been reading much more than I should about this case, and it looks like there are 3 UIDs from Eyler.

More than 25 years later, police still don't have names to go with three skeletal remains they believed Eyler killed. All three men were brutally murdered and buried in a corn field in Newton County, Indiana.

http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/news/local/Sketches-from-Larry-Eyler-murder-spree

This is the third one that is not on this thread, yet:

02_20100510172337_107_80.JPG

The third victim was 24-years-old. He had reddish brown hair and was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt. Police believe he was picked up in the Vincennes area. He was later found on November 20th 1982. In his pocket was a black and silver zippo lighter with the name "Arlene" engraved on it.

The third victim was 24-years-old. He had reddish brown hair and was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt. Police believe he was picked up in the Vincennes area. He was later found on November 20th 1982. In his pocket was a black and silver zippo lighter with the name "Arlene" engraved on it.

I had asked Scott McCord about the third victim, and he replied that it was a "a girl who was found in 1988", who he refers to as Charlene Doe. He says that she is in NamUs.

https://identifyus.org/cases/6107

I don't think that she is related to the Eyler case.

Rest peacefully David.
I'm so sorry honey, you were such a good sweet person. You held so much promise.
It scares me to think of all the good that has been with held from the world because of this. You were smart as a whip and for all we know, it could have been you that cured cancer or some other tragic illness.
I can actually see your smile David. You are not forgotten.
:cry:

I had asked Scott McCord about the third victim, and he replied that it was a "a girl who was found in 1988", who he refers to as Charlene Doe. He says that she is in NamUs.

https://identifyus.org/cases/6107

I don't think that she is related to the Eyler case.

Respectfully, the MSM link Daisy posted with the three uid's mentioned a 3rd male found in '82.

Are we sure this is a mix up on dates with an '82 UID and an 88 UID- or is it possible there are actually 4 UIDs here?

Can we confirm the origin of this 3rd UID in this link:
http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/news/local/Sketches-from-Larry-Eyler-murder-spree

Did the media mess this up that badly that not only gender was off but date found was off by 6 years?

If this is a female UID, what ties are there to indicate Eyler had female victims as well?

If this is a female UID, what ties are there to indicate Eyler had female victims as well?

According to S. McCord, there are only three UID's in Newton County. All three are listed in NamUs, and if you run a NamUs screen based only on Newton County IN, these are the only cases that come up. As I understand it, Adam and Brad are Eyler victims and Charlene is not.

If there is a third male Eyler victim found in Newton County, he is not listed in NamUs.

ETA - I'll send an e-mail to S McCord to request clarification.

Thank you Carl -

It sounds like the journalist then included this third female UID in her article as an Eyler victim without vetting or proofing her info/story.... It is not something new to those of us who find inaccuracies in various media articles.

If the Newton Cty ME has confirmed this third UID is NOT an Eyler victim - we'll go with it.

According to S. McCord, there are only three UID's in Newton County. All three are listed in NamUs, and if you run a NamUs screen based only on Newton County IN, these are the only cases that come up. As I understand it, Adam and Brad are Eyler victims and Charlene is not.

If there is a third male Eyler victim found in Newton County, he is not listed in NamUs.

ETA - I'll send an e-mail to S McCord to request clarification.

I just received the reply from Scott McCord:

Hi Carl;

I remember that interview. The third victim was actually found in Jasper County, not here in Newton. The reporter got that wrong.

So there are just the 2 males and 1 female that I have here in Newton County.

I should add that in his earlier e-mail, he stated the following regarding "Charlene":

Not a lot of info on her. She was shot and burnt in a state park.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back