OH look, another e-mail scam from Africa!

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
The English is getting better but there is a request for more information. :floorlaugh: Anyone care to claim the prize I've won? btw, I did not open the email, just viewed message source. How nice of dr. richard to inform me of my winnings. :woohoo: :floorlaugh: Does anyone really fall for this carp?

CASH ONLINE PROMOTION
Head Office: Bermont Park,
7701 Belmont, Road,
EST 3415 South Africa
Copy Right © 2012,
Registration No: 2000/003778/09

Dear email user,

We wish to notify you that your email address was automatically selected during the RUGBY 2011 world cup finals kick off in New-Zealand and has won you GBP3000.000.00 (Three Million Great Britain Pounds) Cash Payable through our Paying Bank.

Kindly note that Your Ref: RUGBY2011/00453/NL/11 falls within our Afro booklet Regional Headquarters representative office in Johannesburg, South Africa as indicated in the play coupon.All participants were selected automatically World Wide through a computer draw system and emails were generated from over 1 0, 000.00 internet email service providers. For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential until your claim is processed.

You are hereby advised to Contact Dr.Richard Kaba in our Paying bank (Payment Processing Center) for Immediate release of your fund.

Your winning prize has been insured and Deposited in our Paying bank an Escrow Account Pending your Claim with this Payment File Number of Deposit"PPC/ZA5622/2012

A Telex Instruction has been transmitted to our Paying bank (Payment Processing Center) Kindly Contact them with your Reference Number and Full Names with your payment File Number of Deposit below is their Contact Details:
Payment Processing Center) they will advice you on the claim procedure.

Contact Person: Dr.Richard Kaba
Email:dr.richard@gala.net
Direct Mobile Line: +27-79-702-0703
Telephone Line: +27-11-083-5866
Fax Number: +27-86-273-8232

Payment File Number of Deposit:pPC/ZA5622/2012
Amount Won:GBP3000.000.00
Reference Number: RUGBY2011/00453/NL/11

The payment is guaranteed within 72hrs (3 working days) Contact Ms Nancy Brown and Submit your details via email to Process your Payment

FILL THE INFORMATION BELOW FOR PAYMENT PROCESS

Full Names:
Sex:
City:
Direct Mobile Number:
Fax:
Email:
Ref No:
File Number of Deposit

Note: if ever you are under 18, you will be automatically disqualified unless you provide us with the information of someone who is above 18 years of age.

We Congratulates you on behalf of South African Rugby Union and its Partner for making Rugby World Cup 2011 successful.

This is brought to by the RUGBY WORLD CUP 2011 Worldwide Partners:

Congratulations once again.
On behalf of RUGBY 2011TEAM

:waitasec: Is this the same scam George Anthony fell for?

The English is getting better but there is a request for more information. :floorlaugh: Anyone care to claim the prize I've won? btw, I did not open the email, just viewed message source. How nice of dr. richard to inform me of my winnings. :woohoo: :floorlaugh: Does anyone really fall for this carp?

CASH ONLINE PROMOTION
Head Office: Bermont Park,
7701 Belmont, Road,
EST 3415 South Africa
Copy Right © 2012,
Registration No: 2000/003778/09

Dear email user,

We wish to notify you that your email address was automatically selected during the RUGBY 2011 world cup finals kick off in New-Zealand and has won you GBP3000.000.00 (Three Million Great Britain Pounds) Cash Payable through our Paying Bank.

Kindly note that Your Ref: RUGBY2011/00453/NL/11 falls within our Afro booklet Regional Headquarters representative office in Johannesburg, South Africa as indicated in the play coupon.All participants were selected automatically World Wide through a computer draw system and emails were generated from over 1 0, 000.00 internet email service providers. For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential until your claim is processed.

You are hereby advised to Contact Dr.Richard Kaba in our Paying bank (Payment Processing Center) for Immediate release of your fund.

Your winning prize has been insured and Deposited in our Paying bank an Escrow Account Pending your Claim with this Payment File Number of Deposit"PPC/ZA5622/2012

A Telex Instruction has been transmitted to our Paying bank (Payment Processing Center) Kindly Contact them with your Reference Number and Full Names with your payment File Number of Deposit below is their Contact Details:
Payment Processing Center) they will advice you on the claim procedure.

Contact Person: Dr.Richard Kaba
Email:dr.richard@gala.net
Direct Mobile Line: +27-79-702-0703
Telephone Line: +27-11-083-5866
Fax Number: +27-86-273-8232

Payment File Number of Deposit:pPC/ZA5622/2012
Amount Won:GBP3000.000.00
Reference Number: RUGBY2011/00453/NL/11

The payment is guaranteed within 72hrs (3 working days) Contact Ms Nancy Brown and Submit your details via email to Process your Payment

FILL THE INFORMATION BELOW FOR PAYMENT PROCESS

Full Names:
Sex:
City:
Direct Mobile Number:
Fax:
Email:
Ref No:
File Number of Deposit

Note: if ever you are under 18, you will be automatically disqualified unless you provide us with the information of someone who is above 18 years of age.

We Congratulates you on behalf of South African Rugby Union and its Partner for making Rugby World Cup 2011 successful.

This is brought to by the RUGBY WORLD CUP 2011 Worldwide Partners:

Congratulations once again.
On behalf of RUGBY 2011TEAM

Dr. Kaba must have gotten tired of sending them to me. Who would believe such a scam. If anyone out there is tempted: DO NOT EVEN OPEN THEM!! And CERTAINLY DON'T RESPOND!

Are you sure it's a scam? I hate to think my long distant uncle "dr. Richard" could be involved in such a thing, after all, he took time to e-mail me several times informing me of my inheritance which I can collect NOW, I just have to send him money and credit card information ... you know .. legal stuff ... :floorlaugh:

Are you sure it's a scam? I hate to think my long distant uncle "dr. Richard" could be involved in such a thing, after all, he took time to e-mail me several times informing me of my inheritance which I can collect NOW, I just have to send him money and credit card information ... you know .. legal stuff ... :floorlaugh:

I was thinking of making up a fake email addie and then, from the public library, send him an email asking how the family is and telling him that "MOM" needs a surgery and to please send me 25thousand USD...or that "UNCLE" George needs hip replacements, all 3, and see if I can have the doctors bill him, being a doctor he may get a discount. :floorlaugh:

http://www.amybethphotography.com/2011/09/spambait/

From the email telling me of my good fortune: For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential until your claim is processed.

Well darn, I guess I blew that prize, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. :sigh:

A couple days ago when I was looking at facebook, a friend who lives in Atlanta popped up on the instant message thingy with "hi, how are you today?" . I have only used that feature a couple times, EVER, but replied & got back something like "not so great, I am stranded in Manila. I got mugged at gunpoint & lost my cash, cards & cell." Well this guy may be most anywhere & muggings do happen so I didn't think anything of it & asked if he was ok, when & where did this happen. Next came the bomb "can you lend me $2800 until I get back to the states?" Duh! The guy I thought I was talking to wouldn't have hit me up, he would have called his brother or one of the guys.

I copied the conversation & exited. Later when I checked back, my friend had posted he was in ATL, hadn't been out of the country for months & didn't need $$$ ( but would accept any donations), had been in touch with FB, changed his passwords & had apparently locked out the hacker.

Be vigilant folks, "they" will keep trying. Banging away on a keyboard is a lot easier than working at a real job.

I get these scam emails all the time and at this point, I find them "have your first laugh in the morning with mug 'o coffee" time. Read, chuckle, and delete. Then, take my blood pressure meds. It's a daily ritual. :)

From the email telling me of my good fortune: For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential until your claim is processed.

Well darn, I guess I blew that prize, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. :sigh:

Let me put in a good word for you :floorlaugh:

Greetings Dr. William!

I would be delighted to offer urban family portraits for your family, children and shih tzu. I have some really fabulous ideas brewing. Can you all walk like Egyptians? This will be critical. If not, there will be an additional $250 fee for dance lessons so that I can teach you.

Since your Shih Tzu is only 2yrs old, there would be an extra fee of $500. It probably doesn’t really know how to sit and stay yet, and that yap yap bark makes it hard for me to work. If you could find a 5yrs old Shih Tzu that looks like your dog that we could use in the photos instead, I can waive the fee. Or I have a poodle that could be a stand in. If we put a wig on him, I don’t think you would even notice the difference.

I will like to learn your feelings on this so that we can arrange for the deposits.

With Bangles in my heart,
Amy Harkness

http://www.amybethphotography.com/2011/09/spambait/

There are groups and forums on the internet that do "bait" the scammers and see if they can help people who are victims to the scammers. Search Scambaiting and 419 scams if you want to read about some of the really funny and inventive ways people bait them.

LOL, Loved your creative response.

I've been tempted to respond to these stupid scammers, but......

Seriously, we see these as part of our financial crimes investigations at work. (Federal agency). And sadly, YES YES YES people do fall for them. Most of the time we'll have the victims call us, asking how we can help them get their $$$ back. And again, sadly, we really can't.

Now, the GOOD news is, as more and more people get educated on these types of scams, family members are looking out for family members, and now we're getting more calls from family members in advance of the actual $$$ transactions. They'll usually want us to talk to the intended victim and convince them this is a scam. Trust me, many people just really believe they are true.

We're also noticing local banks/credit unions are getting a little more inquisitive with some of their customers who want to come in and deposit these great big checks and then want to get cash out. It's been helpful at catching some of these scams before it's too late.

Tell your family members (usually it's the senior citizens and the young adults that usually fall prey to these) about these scams.

A couple days ago when I was looking at facebook, a friend who lives in Atlanta popped up on the instant message thingy with "hi, how are you today?"...

that's so strange! is it easy to hack into a fb account??

did you tell your friend someone was in his fb account?

A couple of months ago I was 'friended' on FB by someone I went to school with over 50 years ago. . . we exchanged 'e'mail addresses (he had hotmail, which is not a safe provider either) About 2 weeks ago I got the same 'e'mail "Hi, how are you today?" Only his "cousin" was in the UK and had a "serious medical problem" with a fibroid uterine tumor that needed to be taken care of immediately. He was sooo sorry that he hadn't been able to let me know before he left, but he left in such a hurry that he didn't take any money. . blah blah blah. I 'e'mailed that he'd been hacked or else it was an unfunny joke. "He" wrote back within an hour saying, "No, I haven't been hacked, this is really me. Let me know if you can send me $$$ and I will send you directions."
Of course that 'e'mail didn't come to just me, when he got his accounts back on BOTH hotmail and FB, a lot of people were 'ribbing' him about it.
I knew it wasn't real because #1 this person would NEVER ask ME for money and #2 I know his family and he has no overseas relatives.
Soooo many hoaxes on FB, you gotta be careful out there~!! :banghead:

LOL, Loved your creative response.

I've been tempted to respond to these stupid scammers, but......

Seriously, we see these as part of our financial crimes investigations at work. (Federal agency). And sadly, YES YES YES people do fall for them. Most of the time we'll have the victims call us, asking how we can help them get their $$$ back. And again, sadly, we really can't.

Now, the GOOD news is, as more and more people get educated on these types of scams, family members are looking out for family members, and now we're getting more calls from family members in advance of the actual $$$ transactions. They'll usually want us to talk to the intended victim and convince them this is a scam. Trust me, many people just really believe they are true.

We're also noticing local banks/credit unions are getting a little more inquisitive with some of their customers who want to come in and deposit these great big checks and then want to get cash out. It's been helpful at catching some of these scams before it's too late.

Tell your family members (usually it's the senior citizens and the young adults that usually fall prey to these) about these scams.

DD, I can't claim that one. I am working on a response that I will send from the library w/a madeup email address. I'm thinking of using the local LE phone number as my contact number. :D

My son helped my mom set up a Facebook account a couple of years ago so they could see and send family pictures around to the various grandkids spread around the country.

When I first read about these scams I instantly called my mom,and I assured her, that NONE of her grandkids is ever, ever, ever going to message her on FB and ask for emergency money. I promised her, that no matter what story she sees online, it will be a phony one.

It worried me because if anyone came across a grandmother FB full of pictures of kids away at school, etc, she would be a perfect mark. I also made sure she was Private.

p.s. Not that the kids would never need emergency $, they sometimes do. But they call me, they don't message anyone on FB.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back