***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so hoping that with today being a holiday and so many people off work and out and about, perhaps this would be the day that someone found Mickey or something that may bring this to a close. As a parent, the only thing I can imagine worse than losing my child would be to have my child just disappear and never be found and never have any kind of closure. She needs to get home.

Nope. It has been that way for my entire life. I always found the time restriction to be silly.

Walmart... "package store", what's the difference?

Wow...here in NC, Walmart and convenience stores can sell beer and wine, but hard liquor can only be legally sold through state-run ABC stores.

Not speaking for ACI, but he was asked to cease and desist by the family. He complied.

True. Still, ain't nuttin' stopping him from inquiring to whomever holds the records to that info at ULL. I'm really hoping LPD looked into it already and shame on them if they didn't/haven't. ACI can pursue whatever avenue he deems worthy ... he doesn't have to make his findings public.

Been looking at the booze governing laws in Louisiana ... looks like it CAN be sold 24/7 which surprised me. No time restraints other than on the bars. Was always under the impression the stores stopped selling at 2 am as well.

Still don't think a "drunk" liquored up perp committed this crime abducting MS though. Are drunks that meticulous when it comes to "cleaning up" ???

I was so hoping that with today being a holiday and so many people off work and out and about, perhaps this would be the day that someone found Mickey or something that may bring this to a close. As a parent, the only thing I can imagine worse than losing my child would be to have my child just disappear and never be found and never have any kind of closure. She needs to get home.
I don't really like saying this but, without this case being front & center in the media every day ... it is basically falling by the wayside sadly enough. I mentioned the case the other night at a large gathering I was at and almost everyone I mentioned it to looked at me with a "what are you talking about" look on their face. When I went into a bit more detail they were like "oh yeah, I heard about that" and unfortunately, the conversation moved quickly on to another topic. I'm a voracious crime follower but ... most folks are not even if the crime is in their own backyard.

Maybe not a popular opinion but ... I think it's absurd. WHEN was the last time we've heard of a person being held for ransom in the US??? It would take a major astute criminal to pull something of that nature off and frankly ... considering other options from a financial standpoint, holding a person for ransom in this day and age does not seem to be a "popular" nor "substantial wealth gaining" move. It's just basically unheard of.

Kidnappng for Ransom in the US
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping"]Kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Kidnapping for ransom is a common occurrence in various parts of the world today, and certain cities and countries are often described as the "Kidnapping Capital of the World." As of 2007, that title belongs to Iraq with possibly 1,500 foreigners kidnapped.[22][23] In 2004, it was Mexico,[24] and in 2001, it was Colombia.[25] Statistics are harder to come by. Reports suggest a world total of 12,500-25,500/year with 3,600/year in Colombia and 3,000/year in Mexico around the year 2000.[26] However by 2006, the number of kidnappings in Colombia had declined to 687 and it continues to decline.[27] Mexican numbers are hard to confirm because of fears of police involvement in kidnapping.[28] "Kidnapping seems to flourish particularly in fragile states and conflict countries, as politically motivated militias, organized crime and the drugs mafia fill the vacuum left by government."[21]

In 2009, the Los Angeles Times named Phoenix, Arizona[29] as America's kidnapping capital, reporting that every year hundreds of ransom kidnappings occur there, virtually all within the underworld associated with human and drug smuggling from Mexico, and often done as a way of collecting unpaid debts. Other major U.S. cities that are hotbeds for kidnappings are Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, and Chicago.[29] Many of them are done by major street gangs near tourist attractions.

Kidnappng for Ransom in the US
Kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kidnapping for ransom is a common occurrence in various parts of the world today, and certain cities and countries are often described as the "Kidnapping Capital of the World." As of 2007, that title belongs to Iraq with possibly 1,500 foreigners kidnapped.[22][23] In 2004, it was Mexico,[24] and in 2001, it was Colombia.[25] Statistics are harder to come by. Reports suggest a world total of 12,500-25,500/year with 3,600/year in Colombia and 3,000/year in Mexico around the year 2000.[26] However by 2006, the number of kidnappings in Colombia had declined to 687 and it continues to decline.[27] Mexican numbers are hard to confirm because of fears of police involvement in kidnapping.[28] "Kidnapping seems to flourish particularly in fragile states and conflict countries, as politically motivated militias, organized crime and the drugs mafia fill the vacuum left by government."[21]

In 2009, the Los Angeles Times named Phoenix, Arizona[29] as America's kidnapping capital, reporting that every year hundreds of ransom kidnappings occur there, virtually all within the underworld associated with human and drug smuggling from Mexico, and often done as a way of collecting unpaid debts. Other major U.S. cities that are hotbeds for kidnappings are Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, and Chicago.[29] Many of them are done by major street gangs near tourist attractions.

If an over abundance of "kidnappings held for ransom" are happening in the U.S. it sure doesn't seem to be making headlines. Websleuths covers that type of crime ... is there a thread here highlighting that it is a problem that should be of concern to all U.S. citizens?? Foreign countries seem to be more plagued by that than the U.S. I certainly understand there is an issue with "abductions" but not so much where there is a "ransom" involved ... not here anyway.

Yeah, I'll be honest and say it seems like a double standard when you compare the reactions to the Shunicks not speaking out, compared to the Celis family. With the Shunicks, people will defend them not talking to the media (it has to be weeks, right?) because they are too distraught. But with Rebecca and Sergio, I've seen so many posts that they say aren't talking because they don't want the media to start asking questions.

I think the reason for the difference in public reaction is because Isa Celis is a 6-year old who disappeared from her home in the middle of the night. In cases like that, we tend to suspect parents/family members who were in the home at the time of the disappearance. In cases like Mickey's, where a young woman disappears from a public place, we tend to suspect an unknown perp who abducts random young women at opportune moments. IMO

And one more fleeting thought on the kidnapping for ransom theory ... IF that were possibly a consideration in this Lafayette case ... WHY wouldn't the perp(s) choose a victim whose family has a WHOLE LOT more money than I suspect the Shunicks have??? There are a LOT of VERY VERY wealthy folks in Lafayette.

Just curious: how often in a missing person case is the reward capped? I have not followed many, but I cannot find anything via google on this. I found a site explaining the reasoning behind this, an it makes sense. Just wondering how often this is actually done.

I don't really like saying this but, without this case being front & center in the media every day ... it is basically falling by the wayside sadly enough. I mentioned the case the other night at a large gathering I was at and almost everyone I mentioned it to looked at me with a "what are you talking about" look on their face. When I went into a bit more detail they were like "oh yeah, I heard about that" and unfortunately, the conversation moved quickly on to another topic. I'm a voracious crime follower but ... most folks are not even if the crime is in their own backyard.

People that I've spoken to in Lafayette had that attitude 2 weeks ago. Mickey gets more attention here than she does in her hometown. Some people have the attitude that she asked for it because she was out riding her bike alone at 2am. Please note that I do not feel this way. No one deserves to disappear.
The Lafayette media is a joke. High school newspapers have reporters more interested in a story. I will say that a reporter did try to ask about the fund raising and about a public accounting. He was criticized up the wazoo. At least he was keeping people talking.
Mickey's case, I'm afraid is going cold. I have a feeling the only way she'll be found is if someone who knows something or has heard something comes forward.

Wow...here in NC, Walmart and convenience stores can sell beer and wine, but hard liquor can only be legally sold through state-run ABC stores.

Same here in Texas and public intoxication laws are very much enforced here. So much so that police will wait outside of bars and arrest people as they are walking to their cars.

I agree. I live an hour from bolingbrook. The Stacey Peterson case was national and Drew Peterson was a cop---people in my area still have no clue who she is or anything about the case. Probably 2 years after she went missing I was w/ a friend and saw a blue barrel in a cornfield after we had a flood---i told her to stop so I could call 911 to report it (I also called her tipline after I got home) and she thought I was nuts for even caring. She also had no clue who Stacey was :-/ ONLY AN HOUR AWAY!!! There were some posters up, but at that time---i didn't think to hang more and it still bothers me to this day that I didn't go the extra mile (like drive an hour to search!!!)

If an over abundance of "kidnappings held for ransom" are happening in the U.S. it sure doesn't seem to be making headlines. Websleuths covers that type of crime ... is there a thread here highlighting that it is a problem that should be of concern to all U.S. citizens?? Foreign countries seem to be more plagued by that than the U.S. I certainly understand there is an issue with "abductions" but not so much where there is a "ransom" involved ... not here anyway.

Guess, its not covered by the MSM, only local news media. I saw a documentary about it being at crisis level in many of the border states such as Arizona & CA.

When the drug cartels have presence in an area, they bring in some unsavory characters. Imo, this is one of the catalyst for the upsurge in stranger sexual predator abductions in the US..both direrctly & indirectly.

I agree. I live an hour from bolingbrook. The Stacey Peterson case was national and Drew Peterson was a cop---people in my area still have no clue who she is or anything about the case. Probably 2 years after she went missing I was w/ a friend and saw a blue barrel in a cornfield after we had a flood---i told her to stop so I could call 911 to report it (I also called her tipline after I got home) and she thought I was nuts for even caring. She also had no clue who Stacey was :-/ ONLY AN HOUR AWAY!!! There were some posters up, but at that time---i didn't think to hang more and it still bothers me to this day that I didn't go the extra mile (like drive an hour to search!!!)

"When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did do."

I understand what you're saying. But if this were so, I think we'd see more of a request from the family for help. We not seeing any push from the family at all for more public help. There are a lot more things that could be done - billboards in big locations around Lafayette, press conferences, public pleas....

None of this is happening. I don't think the family thinks they need any more info or help.

It could also be that the family doesn't want the public prying more into Mickeys personal life or the life of te family. It appears to me this is when the silence started.

There are several things I find odd about this situation besides her vanishing without a trace.

Mickey was almost 22 and a cute young lady. There is no mention of a boyfriend that I have heard of. She never had one? Did she date? Was there an admirer in her life? Was she interested in women and not men?

The fact that she had a pipe with her was very quickly hushed up. If she was only smoking flavored tobacco, then why cover that fact up? Why was the public not given a description of the pipe? Smoking tobacco is legal. Was the pipe later found at her home or at BW's?

What else did Mickey do in the hours leading up to her disappearance? She went to a party the night before. What did she do the day she went to Artmosphere? Did she sleep all day, then go there? Did she show her horse to a potential buyer? Did she teach any lessons? Charley came in to town, she & Mickey went to a party Thursday night, and Mickey called her late Friday night to hang out with her only to find out her sister was in BR, so obviously they had not communicated about that at all.

It's as if we have been told to "find Mickey" but the only clue we have been given is the DWT-if it really even is a clue. For all we know it may just be a possible witness and that may not be true either if there was other video of Mickey seen elsewhere.

People that I've spoken to in Lafayette had that attitude 2 weeks ago. Mickey gets more attention here than she does in her hometown. Some people have the attitude that she asked for it because she was out riding her bike alone at 2am. Please note that I do not feel this way. No one deserves to disappear.

I've gotten the same reaction when telling friends, coworkers, family, etc. how scared I've been because of Mickey's disappearance. They all said something like - why, you aren't going to ride your bike at 2am or you shouldn't be because she put herself in a position to be a target. My response to them was that the circumstances, in my opinion, didn't matter. All that registers with me is that someone purposely abducted her and it's scary to think that they very well could do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth