NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy now, everyone. Don't want to give our mods more work than they already have.

I hope im not comming across as arguing with anyone that is not my intention at all. I just feel so stupid about this stuff and trying to get it straight in my little brain. I just appriciate all the knowledge everyone here has. I consider myself an inteligent person but sometimes I feel completely stupid!

Hey y'all. I've had a very busy weekend and have gotten lost on this thread.
Thank you so much for being here for Zahra.

I was at a football game last night and a little girl passed by that looked just like Zahra. She was so happy. Smiling and talking with her friends. Had a snowball. Just being a little girl. How I wish Zahra still had that chance.

I'm gonna try to go back and skim through at least this thread. If I ask something that's been covered, please forgive me. I know I can not catch up.

Any bombshells since yesterday?

New article about the Baker's charges and financial problems ......

Money and legal trouble follow Zahra's parents
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...egal-trouble-follow-zahras-parents-ar-462500/

"the couple is facing a combined total of 18 charges of writing bad checks worth a combined $2,054.58. All but one of the checks were written at area grocery stores. "

I wish they were more specific in who (EB or AB ) has what charges specifically.
Very interesting article. They rented a laptop, 42" TV, living room and then didn't pay. They owed well over a grand on rent and all the bad checks were to grocery stores. So what were they spending his paycheck on (I think we already know).

That's why they kept moving around so much.

EB listed her occupation on the rental agreement as "disabled" and she was getting $591 a month. That would have paid the rent on the MH ($114 a wk = $456 a month).

I was at a football game last night and a little girl passed by that looked just like Zahra. She was so happy. Smiling and talking with her friends. Had a snowball. Just being a little girl. How I wish Zahra still had that chance.

I'm gonna try to go back and skim through at least this thread. If I ask something that's been covered, please forgive me. I know I can not catch up.

LE verified the furniture store employees's account of having seen SM and Z in store two weeks before she went missing; only visual verification by non-relatives. Not exactly a bombshell, but helps the time-line.

The latest news in the past 24 hrs is:
The neighbors at the trailer park in Sawmill saw mom and dad driving around there at night about 3 weeks ago.

On Sept. 25 Zahra and her SM were spotted by several employees at a furniture store. LE has released this officially today.

No video surveillance. :(

LE verified the furniture store employees's account of having seen SM and Z in store two weeks before she went missing; only visual verification by non-relatives. Not exactly a bombshell, but helps the time-line.

Yes it does. Thanks wfgodot!

SSI rules about disability

Your child must meet all of the following requirements to be considered disabled and therefore eligible for SSI:

• The child must not be working and earning more than $1,000 a month in 2010. (This earnings amount changes every year.) If he or she is working and earning that much money, we will find that your child is not disabled.
  • The child must have a physical or mental condition, or a combination of conditions, that results in “marked and severe functional limitations.” This means that the condition(s) must very seriously limit your child’s activities.
  • The child’s condition(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least 12 months; or must be expected to result in death.
If your child’s condition(s) results in “marked and severe functional limitations” for at least 12 continuous months, we will find that your child is disabled. But if it does not result in those limitations, or does not last for at least 12 months, we will find that your child is not disabled.
Providing information about your child’s condition

When you apply for benefits for your child, we will ask you for detailed information about the child’s medical condition and how it affects his or her ability to function on a daily basis. We also will ask you to give permission for the doctors, teachers, therapists and other professionals who have information about your child’s condition to send the information to us.
If you have any of your child’s medical or school records, please bring them with you. This will help speed up the decision on your application.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html#ssi-benefits

She could apply, would she get it?

Based on the above criteira. No.
AY said she get's around better than kids with two legs, so she doesn't have mobility issues.
Her cancer was in remission.
Her hearing difficulties were corrected with aides.

Only these below get automatic benefits and those are STILL conditional on the review of the SSI board/doctors.
We may make immediate SSI payments to your child

It can take three to five months for the state agency to decide if your child is disabled. However, for some medical conditions, we make SSI payments right away and for up to six months while the state agency decides if your child is disabled.
Following are some conditions that may qualify:

• HIV infection;
  • Total blindness;
  • Total deafness;
  • Cerebral palsy;
  • Down syndrome;
  • Muscular dystrophy;
  • Severe mental retardation (child age 7 or older); and
  • Birth weight below 2 pounds, 10 ounces.
If your child has one of the qualifying conditions, he or she will get SSI payments right away. However, the state agency may finally decide that your child’s disability is not severe enough for SSI. If that happens, you will not have to pay back the SSI payments that your child got.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html#ssi-benefits

To clarify the Automatic Benefits:

Children with those impairments could receive what is called Presumptive Disability payments. That means it is likely that they will qualify but not certain. The payments are started while their claim is being evaluated. The payments will stop if the child is found to not meet the criteria.

The only ones on that list that would definitely meet the criteria are total deafness that is not improved with hearing aids; total blindness that is not improved with glasses; birth weight below 2 lbs 10 oz. All of the others would have to meet additional criteria to continue to receive benefits.

The impairments on the list are the ones that SSA is allowed to use to initiate the Presumptive Disability before the send the claim to be evaluated for disability. The people who evaluate the disability claims can initiate Presumptive Disability for anyone they feel will likely be approved for SSI.

:dance:

Health insurance in Australia and Canada is not "free"....

There are some new family members showing up on facebook as well as some posts of interest.

God, those FB support pages just turn into a place where people go to fight don't they? So many abusive posts back and forth, I can barely stand to read it. Although it does sound like the family really tried to help Zahra, we really need to fund the departments that look after child welfare a lot better don't we, too many cases like this come up IMO.

Irregardless of which one of them wrote the checks, this seems to be the answer to their grocery shopping expense and how much money they did or didn't have. :eek: MOO

I thought Elisa was a drug dealer? What the heck did she do with that money? moo

I hope im not comming across as arguing with anyone that is not my intention at all. I just feel so stupid about this stuff and trying to get it straight in my little brain. I just appriciate all the knowledge everyone here has. I consider myself an inteligent person but sometimes I feel completely stupid!

I am feeling extremely stupid about some things right now myself. And not trying to yell at anyone at all- just that I think when these threads get really heated up, it puts more work on the mods.

Photo of Zahra obviously during or right after cancer treatments. She looks so pretty.

Attachments

• 41472_1749336173_7917742_n.jpg
    41472_1749336173_7917742_n.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 62
Just delurking with a few thoughts that popped into mind...

I am shocked at how much medical care costs in the US! :O I am extremely grateful that where I live it (Ontario, Canada) is free, or I don't know what we'd do!!! Not trying to rub it in at all- just shocked at reality outside my area! For all we know, maybe they wanted to make fake id/passports to come to Canada.

As for Z's dad- likely making minimum wage, but probably supplemented by SM selling drugs? Anyway, they probably moved so much partly because of all the bad rent & food checks, if what money they had was going for drugs.

About previous mention of a possible 'mercy' killing cover-up...I find it highly unlikely that 'mercy' is a quality known to the sadistic SM.

Another thing that is noticeable about Z's clothes- nothing girly at all that I've noticed. All seems to be totally SM's taste. Aside from the one pic of Z at the wedding in the pretty red dress- everything I've seen her in since has been dark and not like what most girls her age would wear, as if she had no control or choice whatsoever what she was allowed to wear. My own daughter her age and her friends all are very particular about what they want to wear, and mostly all at least some girly styles.

As far as the cloths go, to be fair I have a daughter who refused to wear girlie cloths we got her into a dress for a friends wedding, his funeral and her high school graduation.

Very interesting article. They rented a laptop, 42" TV, living room and then didn't pay. They owed well over a grand on rent and all the bad checks were to grocery stores. So what were they spending his paycheck on (I think we already know).

That's why they kept moving around so much.

EB listed her occupation on the rental agreement as "disabled" and she was getting $591 a month. That would have paid the rent on the MH ($114 a wk = $456 a month).

Probably utilities, gas, and car insurance (which is required and quite high). If AB made $10 an hour (we're not sure about that so its speculation)...after taxes it wouldn't be that much. Of course, if drugs are involved it doesn't take long to go in the hole....

Not really, Kimberly. They seem to have some verification of a sighting at a furniture store within the last two weeks or so, I am not sure of the date. Someone may be able to supply it.

I am feeling extremely stupid about some things right now myself. And not trying to yell at anyone at all- just that I think when these threads get really heated up, it puts more work on the mods.

Seems that people on this thread have been working out differences of opinion on their own. I haven't seen any of the mods this Saturday night...hopefully they have a night of peace!

:blowkiss: to our wonderful mods. They help make WS the ethical and safe site that it is. moomho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth